Posted to alt.food.wine

Default WTN: What a difference 10 minutes makes ('05 Givry)

Dave joined us for dinner, Betsy had put together a delicious if
unusual assortment: duck breast salad, brown rice, tofu (hiyayakko),
and saffron carrots. I went with Burgundy, the 2005 Domaine Thenard
"Clos St Pierre" Givry 1er. I'm not a big buyer of Cote Chalonnaise
reds, but price was decent and it was offered by a merchant I respect.
On opening I was kicking myself for buying Givry from a producer I
don't know- it seemed extraordinarily thin, sharp, and short. I debate
going to cellar for something else. But by time I help carry out food
to patio and set table, I decide to suffer through it. Wait, I'm not
suffering. This has made an amazing transformation in 10-15 minutes.
Still on the light side, but now showing as light and delicate, not
thin and empty. Red cherry and raspberry fruit has filled out a bit,
there's some earth and a little smoky edge. This isn't great PN, but
it's a solid bottle of lighter styled Burgundy. Continues to get
richer and juicier with time. No need to kick myself. B

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default What a difference 10 minutes makes ('05 Givry)

Hello Dale,
How right you are not to knock Cote Chalonnaise.
We may likely see a resurgence of the lowly Southern neighbour of the Golden
Slope - I would particularly look out for Mercurey, which, before the
near-catastrophe of over-cropping, over-fertilisation, overplanting of
high-yield clones, and spreading potassium all ... er ... over ... was, in
fact, a good place to grow PN. I have tasted wines from Mercurey that
comapre favorably to Pommards of the same age - we are now talking of early
60s, though.

Give them time. A lot of the old vineyards that were lost during the 20th
centuries will be coming back, if they haven't already.

Cheers

Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 11, 11:51�am, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:
> Hello Dale,
> How right you are not to knock Cote Chalonnaise.
> We may likely see a resurgence of the lowly Southern neighbour of the Golden
> Slope - I would particularly look out for Mercurey, which, before the
> near-catastrophe of over-cropping, over-fertilisation, overplanting of
> high-yield clones, and spreading potassium all ... er ... over ... was, in
> fact, a good place to grow PN. I have tasted wines from Mercurey that
> comapre favorably to Pommards of the same age - we are now talking of early
> 60s, though.
>
> Give them time. A lot of the old vineyards that were lost during the 20th
> centuries will be coming back, if they haven't already.
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils

I've certainly had some excellent CCs, especially Mercureys (1ers from
Faiveley & Juillot). I'd love to see a resurgence. But to date I've
never seen a Mercurey that was the equivalent for my tastes of say a
Rugiens or Epenots from M. Gaunoux, Montille, or Courcel. I can hope!
Posted to alt.food.wine

Unfortunately it will take time. The use of various chemicals and
introduction of high-yield clones will have to be neutralised, to regain
(wait for it) ... (dramatic drum roll here, thank you) ... TERROIR. It is a
bit like turning a vicious circle, since what we are talking about will cost
money, investments in a part of Bourgogne from which is only expected
(comparatively) cheap plonk ...
Let us hope, shall we?

Cheers

Nils

PS (IANAL but ...) the use of the term 'terroir' in this context is by no
means meant to imply that only good clones and a diminishment of fertiliser
and pesticides is needed to achieve this laudable goal. Nor does it imply
any derogation of wine makers and their influence on the product.

Healthy Coffee Makes All The Difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Milton Wallace Coffee 0 25-08-2011 08:19 AM
TN: what a difference a bottle makes (2nd wine of HBB) DaleW Wine 1 22-07-2008 08:54 PM
Five Minutes [email protected] General Cooking 0 19-01-2008 03:38 PM
2004 Danjean-Berthoux Givry Bi!! Wine 7 26-01-2007 07:58 PM
What a difference a label makes Craig Winemaking 9 01-11-2003 03:12 PM