Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: what a difference a bottle makes (2nd wine of HBB)

I've generally liked Plantiers de Haut Brion, the second white of HB,
in almost every vintage I've tried (1994, 1999, 2001, 2004). So last
year when there was a sale with the 2002 for a good price, I bought a
couple. But my first bottle last fall was dominated by oxidative
notes, and I couldn't drink more than a glass. Last night I was
grilling some swordfish (with leftover salads from night before), and
opened my second bottle of 2002 Plantiers de Haut Brion. What a
difference- this was lovely, young, and fresh. A little vanilla and
coconut from the oak on the nose, but it seamlessly blends in with the
Fuji apple and honeydew fruit. There's also a light aroma of cut grass
on the nose. Nice cruiserweight, round honied Semillon notes of
apricot and pear, good acidity, very nice wine. Should easily be able
to age. Last bottle I wished I hadn't bought two, this bottle I wish I
had bought 6. Best white Bordeaux I've had in a while (I don't
drink much Bdx blanc), A-

*

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> I've generally liked Plantiers de Haut Brion, the second white of HB,
> in almost every vintage I've tried (1994, 1999, 2001, 2004). So last
> year when there was a sale with the 2002 for a good price, I bought a
> couple. But my first bottle last fall was dominated by oxidative
> notes, and I couldn't drink more than a glass. Last night I was
> grilling some swordfish (with leftover salads from night before), and
> opened my second bottle of 2002 Plantiers de Haut Brion. What a
> difference- this was lovely, young, and fresh. A little vanilla and
> coconut from the oak on the nose, but it seamlessly blends in with the
> Fuji apple and honeydew fruit. There's also a light aroma of cut grass
> on the nose. Nice cruiserweight, round honied Semillon notes of
> apricot and pear, good acidity, very nice wine. Should easily be able
> to age. Last bottle I wished I hadn't bought two, this bottle I wish I
> had bought 6. Best white Bordeaux I've had in a while (I don't
> drink much Bdx blanc), A-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> *

OK, now you are going to make me pull this one out tonight with Halibut
and fruit. I have been waiting on the 2002 as I opened a bottle last
year and thought it not ready.