Craig

Default What a difference a label makes

I decided to give a bottle of cabernet sauvignon to a friend for her
birthday. As I was pulling the bottles out of the rack, looking for the
"perfect" bottle to give her, I noticed that the bottles were plain and
needed a label (since that was my only wine on the rack, I did not bother
with labels at first). So after picking out the right bottle, I went
upstairs and fired up MS Word and created a simple label using an Avery
label template and some free clipart on the web. After printing out the
labels and cutting them into seperate labels, I applied some glue with a
glue stick to the back of the label and placed it on the bottle. Wow, what
a difference! The bottle looks 100% better and is now something that I
will be really proud to give her for her birthday. Now I need to print up
some more labels and put them on the rest of the bottles.
Dar V

I agree, a label completes the bottle. In between batches, I work on my
labels. I started from the beginning putting labels on, just so I knew what
was what. I have a lot of fun with making labels.
Darlene

"Craig" > wrote in message
.10...
> I decided to give a bottle of cabernet sauvignon to a friend for her
> birthday. As I was pulling the bottles out of the rack, looking for the
> "perfect" bottle to give her, I noticed that the bottles were plain and
> needed a label (since that was my only wine on the rack, I did not bother
> with labels at first). So after picking out the right bottle, I went
> upstairs and fired up MS Word and created a simple label using an Avery
> label template and some free clipart on the web. After printing out the
> labels and cutting them into seperate labels, I applied some glue with a
> glue stick to the back of the label and placed it on the bottle. Wow,

what
> a difference! The bottle looks 100% better and is now something that I
> will be really proud to give her for her birthday. Now I need to print up
> some more labels and put them on the rest of the bottles.

Joe Giller

I agree completely. Plus the label gives the bottle you spent so much
time on a professional, finished look. It is fun to create names for
wines and make a goofy (or serious) winery name. Something catchy can
become a local favorite and friends and family will be requesting your
wine by name. That's pretty cool.

Joe

Craig

Joe Giller > wrote in news:3F9EF0EE.9040003
@alcatel.com:

> I agree completely. Plus the label gives the bottle you spent so much
> time on a professional, finished look. It is fun to create names for
> wines and make a goofy (or serious) winery name. Something catchy can
> become a local favorite and friends and family will be requesting your
> wine by name. That's pretty cool.

I never thought about a fake winery name. Although it should've, as one of
the guys in my homebrew club brought in an easy drinking ale called Ale
Bundy...and he even had a picture of Al Bundy on the label. If anything
would inspire me to do something like that, that would've done it.

Craig

"Ray" > wrote in
:

> Now to put absolutely the finishing touch on it, put a shrink plastic
> cap on it. They are cheap easy and the final touch in dressing the
> bottle.

Maybe with the next batch. I should've done something like that, as it is
kind of similar to when I put the foil around the plastic cork and wire
cages on my sparkling raspberry mead.
sgbrix

Craig > wrote in message

---snip I noticed that the bottles were plain and
> needed a label (since that was my only wine on the rack,

I use Avery 8167, but then again I just hate to remove labels. On it I
manage to fit the title of the wine, what year, where and what it came
from. Date of bottling, Starting and ending SG, What if any extras
that I put in it, what kind of yeast, oaked etc, ok so when I really
need to know I have to put on my glasses. So what! With a razorblade
I'm finished in a couple of swats. So you just like those big
beautiful labels, good luck.

SG BRix
Ray

Now to put absolutely the finishing touch on it, put a shrink plastic cap on
it. They are cheap easy and the final touch in dressing the bottle.

Ray

"Craig" > wrote in message
.10...
> I decided to give a bottle of cabernet sauvignon to a friend for her
> birthday. As I was pulling the bottles out of the rack, looking for the
> "perfect" bottle to give her, I noticed that the bottles were plain and
> needed a label (since that was my only wine on the rack, I did not bother
> with labels at first). So after picking out the right bottle, I went
> upstairs and fired up MS Word and created a simple label using an Avery
> label template and some free clipart on the web. After printing out the
> labels and cutting them into seperate labels, I applied some glue with a
> glue stick to the back of the label and placed it on the bottle. Wow,

what
> a difference! The bottle looks 100% better and is now something that I
> will be really proud to give her for her birthday. Now I need to print up
> some more labels and put them on the rest of the bottles.

Pinky

I totally agree with opinions expressed here. I live alone and I have always
"finished off" my wine by bottling, labelling and capping with shrinkwrap
caps. I take much pleasure from drinking my wine out of a favourite wine
glass, poured from a glass bottle with a label that sets off my wine. It is
all part of the total enjoyment that results from the long process in
making wine.
It would be a pity to serve my wine out of a plastic "pop" bottle with a
screw cap poured into a cup! It might really taste the same ( though I doubt
it) but all my senses would downgrade any wine served like that.
Going off now to bottle 10 gallons of wine. The bottles are washed,
sanitised and drained and in a couple of hours or less they will be corked
and capped to be left for a couple of days standing on end before labelling
and storing in racks.

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England
"Ray" > wrote in message
. ..
> Now to put absolutely the finishing touch on it, put a shrink plastic cap

on
> it. They are cheap easy and the final touch in dressing the bottle.

<snip> <snip>

Healthy Coffee Makes All The Difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Milton Wallace Coffee 0 25-08-2011 08:19 AM
WTN: What a difference 10 minutes makes ('05 Givry) DaleW Wine 4 12-09-2008 08:20 AM
TN: what a difference a bottle makes (2nd wine of HBB) DaleW Wine 1 22-07-2008 08:54 PM
when to label Pino Winemaking 9 09-03-2006 11:16 PM
label removal walterthegrey Winemaking 14 27-08-2004 01:48 AM