Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Bang for the buck wines right now?

What is everyone buying and drinking right now that gives you the best bang
for your wine bucks?
For me right now..I have bought a few cases of Nobilo
Sauvignon Blanc Regional Collection 2007. $8.99 at Costco. I just love it.
It works so well with all the spring food we're eating right now.
Rick

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Rigaboy" > wrote in message . ..
> What is everyone buying and drinking right now that gives you the best bang
> for your wine bucks?
> For me right now..I have bought a few cases of Nobilo
> Sauvignon Blanc Regional Collection 2007. $8.99 at Costco. I just love it.
> It works so well with all the spring food we're eating right now.
> Rick

2005 Bodegas Borsao Campo de Borja. It's become my house wine for the last year or so. At $5.49 a bottle it's hard to beat (if you like the wine, of course).

Jon
Posted to alt.food.wine

IanH wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 21:35:24 -0700, "Rigaboy" >
> wrote:
>
>> What is everyone buying and drinking right now that gives you the best bang
>> for your wine bucks?

> Definitely the Clos des Verdot Red Côtes de Bergerac 2005 et €2.80 per
> litre.
>
> But real soon now, young M Quercy will have his Vin de Pays de la Haut
> Quercy ready and that will be about €1.60 a litre and delicious with
> it.

They guy's name is really M. Quercy? Too funny.

For reds we do with 06 Roger Perrin CdR (4 EU) Ch. Ligre Chinon (6 I
think but can't remember off hand) 06 Loir from Fresneau (4 EU) and
La Soumade Rasteau villages (7.50 EU).

For whites Coteaux du Loir from Fresneau at 3 EU is fab, or Cheverny from
Bellier (4) or to fool the blind tasting an Ugni Blanc "La Souche" from
Faucon Dore (Puymeras) at 5 EU.

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

--
All the best
Fatty from Forges
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 14, 4:19�pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> "Rigaboy" > wrote in messagenews:4O6dnaNR0fWhQp_VnZ2dnUVZ_qWtnZ2d@comca st.com...
> > What is everyone buying and drinking right now that gives you the best bang
> > for your wine bucks?
> > For me right now..I have bought a few cases of Nobilo
> > Sauvignon Blanc Regional �Collection 2007. $8.99 at Costco. I just love it.
> > It works so well with all the spring food we're eating right now.
> > Rick

> 2005 Bodegas Borsao Campo de Borja. It's become my house wine for the last year or so. At $5.49 a bottle it's hard to beat (if you like the wine, of course).
>
> Jon

Always a qpr favorite.
Others recently:
Hofer and Huber Gruner Veltliner, both @ $10/liter
'06 Pepiere Muscadet $10/750 ml
Iche (d'Oupia) les Heretiques $8/750 ml

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 14, 7:14Â*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Apr 14, 4:19�pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
>
> > "Rigaboy" > wrote in messagenews:4O6dnaNR0fWhQp_VnZ2dnUVZ_qWtnZ2d@comca st.com...
> > > What is everyone buying and drinking right now that gives you the best bang
> > > for your wine bucks?
> > > For me right now..I have bought a few cases of Nobilo
> > > Sauvignon Blanc Regional �Collection 2007. $8.99 at Costco. I just love it.
> > > It works so well with all the spring food we're eating right now.
> > > Rick

> > 2005 Bodegas Borsao Campo de Borja. It's become my house wine for the last year or so. At $5.49 a bottle it's hard to beat (if you like the wine, of course).

> > Jon

> Always a qpr favorite.
> Others recently:
> Hofer and Huber Gruner Veltliner, both @ $10/liter
> '06 Pepiere Muscadet $10/750 ml
> Iche (d'Oupia) les Heretiques $8/750 ml

Love the Hofer but I feel like I must finish the bottle with the crown
seal. I also like Tortoise Creek Pinot Noir and Viogner for $8.99
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Rigaboy" > skrev i melding
. ..
> What is everyone buying and drinking right now that gives you the best
> bang for your wine bucks?

Recently it has been Bellingham Chenin Blanc 2007, from South Africa. A
nice, dry and crispy one. With the deprecation of the US currency it is now
13USD in Sweden.
Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 14, 7:48�pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> Love the Hofer but I feel like I must finish the bottle with the crown
> seal. � -

I usually do one of two things with the liter GVs:
1) serve as apertif at outdoor parties
2) if just us for dinner, I fill a screwcap 375 all the way up and
store in fridge. About 600 ml left, which is about what our average
consumption is (400 for me, 200 for Betsy). Then I'll revisit the rest
one night when she's away (or use for cooking).
Will look for Tortoise Creek PN, thanks
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 16, 8:44Â*am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Apr 14, 7:48�pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>
> > Love the Hofer but I feel like I must finish the bottle with the crown
> > seal. � -

> I usually do one of two things with the liter GVs:
> 1) serve as apertif at outdoor parties
> 2) if just us for dinner, I fill a screwcap 375 all the way up and
> store in fridge. About 600 ml left, which is about what our average
> consumption is (400 for me, 200 for Betsy). Then I'll revisit the rest
> one night when she's away (or use for cooking).
> Will look for Tortoise Creek PN, thanks

Currently the wine is sourced from the Languedoc in a variety of
flavors...PN, SB, Viognier, Chard, Syrah, Cab, Merlot and are labeled
in an American way. All sell for roughly $8-$9 USD and are a good
QPR.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 16, 6:22Â*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Apr 16, 8:44Â*am, DaleW > wrote:
>
> > On Apr 14, 7:48�pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:

> > > Love the Hofer but I feel like I must finish the bottle with the crown
> > > seal. � -

> > I usually do one of two things with the liter GVs:
> > 1) serve as apertif at outdoor parties
> > 2) if just us for dinner, I fill a screwcap 375 all the way up and
> > store in fridge. About 600 ml left, which is about what our average
> > consumption is (400 for me, 200 for Betsy). Then I'll revisit the rest
> > one night when she's away (or use for cooking).
> > Will look for Tortoise Creek PN, thanks

> Currently the wine is sourced from the Languedoc in a variety of
> flavors...PN, SB, Viognier, Chard, Syrah, Cab, Merlot and are labeled
> in an American way. Â*All sell for roughly $8-$9 USD and are a good
> QPR.

thanks, I see the PN is at the Wine Shop on Upper East Side. If I'm in
neighborhood (not this week with pope's visit!) during retail hours
will try some. PN is the most interesting to me, as I find hardest to
find drinkable under $15.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 16, 6:20Â*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Apr 16, 6:22Â*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:

> > > I usually do one of two things with the liter GVs:
> > > 1) serve as apertif at outdoor parties
> > > 2) if just us for dinner, I fill a screwcap 375 all the way up and
> > > store in fridge. About 600 ml left, which is about what our average
> > > consumption is (400 for me, 200 for Betsy). Then I'll revisit the rest
> > > one night when she's away (or use for cooking).
> > > Will look for Tortoise Creek PN, thanks

> > Currently the wine is sourced from the Languedoc in a variety of
> > flavors...PN, SB, Viognier, Chard, Syrah, Cab, Merlot and are labeled
> > in an American way. Â*All sell for roughly $8-$9 USD and are a good
> > QPR.

> thanks, I see the PN is at the Wine Shop on Upper East Side. If I'm in
> neighborhood (not this week with pope's visit!) during retail hours
> will try some. PN is the most interesting to me, as I find hardest to
> find drinkable under $15.- Hide quoted text -

It's imorted by Mel Masters of JAMS Restaurant in NYC in the 70's-80's
among others also known for his book on The WInes of The Rhone.
http://www.annabelsdenver.com/about1.html

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hi Emery,

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 23:30:03 +0200, Emery Davis
> wrote:

>> But real soon now, young M Quercy will have his Vin de Pays de la Haut
>> Quercy ready and that will be about €1.60 a litre and delicious with
>> it.
>>

>They guy's name is really M. Quercy? Too funny.

I know, especially as they are IN Quercy.

Mind you, I once met a M Corrèze. He lived in the town of Corrèze,
which is on the river Corrèze, in the Corrèze department.

Look pretty good on an envelope!

>For whites Coteaux du Loir from Fresneau at 3 EU is fab,

Have they managed to avoid the sometimes searing acidty of the Loir?

> to fool the blind tasting an Ugni Blanc "La Souche" from Faucon Dore (Puymeras) at 5 EU.

That's plain evil. Mind you, a friend in Bergerac once gave me a
bottle of her Botrytised Igni Blanc!!! Now that was one to fool the
cognoscenti. And Luc de Conti at Tour des Gendres (who doesn't do
sweet wines) gave me a half litre of his Saussignac. He rented some
land which was in a dreadful state and after clearing it and loving
it, discovered that it was planted with muscadelle still in its own
roots. So he thought he might as well have a go... And being 2002, he
managed to get a magnificent crop from it. He was foolish and unlucky
enough to give a taste to the land owner, who promptly decided to take
her land back and give it to the family - who now do a single picking
and pass the crop on to the local co-operative. They'll probably be
grubbing the vines up soon as they're old and not very productive.

Sigh...

--
All the best
Fatty from Forges
Posted to alt.food.wine

IanH wrote:
[]

>> For whites Coteaux du Loir from Fresneau at 3 EU is fab,

> Have they managed to avoid the sometimes searing acidty of the Loir?

They have indeed, it's a lovely floral Chenin with good balance. Really
very similar to the basic Jasnieres but a little lighter.

>> to fool the blind tasting an Ugni Blanc "La Souche" from Faucon Dore (Puymeras) at 5 EU.

> That's plain evil. Mind you, a friend in Bergerac once gave me a
> bottle of her Botrytised Igni Blanc!!! Now that was one to fool the
> cognoscenti. And Luc de Conti at Tour des Gendres (who doesn't do
> sweet wines) gave me a half litre of his Saussignac. He rented some
> land which was in a dreadful state and after clearing it and loving
> it, discovered that it was planted with muscadelle still in its own
> roots. So he thought he might as well have a go... And being 2002, he
> managed to get a magnificent crop from it. He was foolish and unlucky
> enough to give a taste to the land owner, who promptly decided to take
> her land back and give it to the family - who now do a single picking
> and pass the crop on to the local co-operative. They'll probably be
> grubbing the vines up soon as they're old and not very productive.
>
> Sigh...

Sigh indeed...

I'm not very good at blind tastings, I can sometimes get the grape
or even appellation (with luck) but stuff like vintage or maker usually
is completely beyond me. So I like the idea of throwing a monkey
wrench at those (few) who are good at it.

The story of Ugni in Le Faucon, which has pretty rude weather and is
at altitude -- and organic grapes too, which doesn't facilitate -- is that
over many years they tried different varieties to achieve physiological
ripeness, with no luck (with white grapes) with the usual Rhone
varieties. But the Ugni had been planted over 100 years ago, and was
producing good fruit, so they stuck with it. An interesting wine,
worth exploring.

cheers,

-E