chris

Default Best bang for the buck charcoal grill for $150 or less ?

I managed to buy a house last year, so now I am looking to buy a new
charcoal grill for this summer. My budget is under $150. I have been
trying to educate myself on this topic. It seems that my choice has
narrow down to $150 Weber at local store and Brinkman Professional at
Sams club for $150. I have never own both brand, so not sure what
advantage one over another besides the Brinkman is larger :-) I cook
steak, burger, hotdogs, fish, pretty much everything with my old cheap
grill when I used to live in an apartment. I am concern of which one
last longer since I can not afford getting new grill every other year.
Any other brand I should consider ? Any website that offer good deals
right now ? Any comments are highly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
Ol' Hippie

Sheat hang out here long enough and you will build your own, or save up for
a K.
Luck to ya.... no go smoke some meat.

--
" Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely,
in one pretty, well preserved piece,

Kent H.

I have used a 22" Weber for 25 years, following the smaller one. Make
sure you buy a 1 touch, where you can shed the charcoal dust easily.
Weber's long term reliability has shrunk in the last 10 or so years,
with less gauge steel in both the lid and the bottom.
However, Weber has thought their basic design out the best, and you
won't be unhappy for what you are looking for. Their customer service is
excellent.
At this moment, without anything to compete, for grilling steaks, fish,
etc., I would buy another.
Cheers,
Kent

chris wrote:

> I managed to buy a house last year, so now I am looking to buy a new
> charcoal grill for this summer. My budget is under $150. I have been
> trying to educate myself on this topic. It seems that my choice has
> narrow down to $150 Weber at local store and Brinkman Professional at
> Sams club for $150. I have never own both brand, so not sure what
> advantage one over another besides the Brinkman is larger :-) I cook
> steak, burger, hotdogs, fish, pretty much everything with my old cheap
> grill when I used to live in an apartment. I am concern of which one
> last longer since I can not afford getting new grill every other year.
> Any other brand I should consider ? Any website that offer good deals
> right now ? Any comments are highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Chris

BOB

chris wrote:
> I managed to buy a house last year, so now I am looking to buy a new
> charcoal grill for this summer. My budget is under $150. I have been
> trying to educate myself on this topic. It seems that my choice has
> narrow down to $150 Weber at local store and Brinkman Professional at
> Sams club for $150. I have never own both brand, so not sure what
> advantage one over another besides the Brinkman is larger :-) I cook
> steak, burger, hotdogs, fish, pretty much everything with my old cheap
> grill when I used to live in an apartment. I am concern of which one
> last longer since I can not afford getting new grill every other year.
> Any other brand I should consider ? Any website that offer good deals
> right now ? Any comments are highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Chris

Webber Smokey Mountain (WSM)

Look back about a week in this newsgroup, you'll see threads on buying one from
amazon.com (I think). Also, someone found one for about $100 at one of the big
box stores.
Good Luck!

BOB

bbq

chris wrote:
> I managed to buy a house last year, so now I am looking to buy a new
> charcoal grill for this summer. My budget is under $150. I have been
> trying to educate myself on this topic. It seems that my choice has
> narrow down to $150 Weber at local store and Brinkman Professional at
> Sams club for $150. I have never own both brand, so not sure what
> advantage one over another besides the Brinkman is larger :-) I cook
> steak, burger, hotdogs, fish, pretty much everything with my old cheap
> grill when I used to live in an apartment. I am concern of which one
> last longer since I can not afford getting new grill every other year.
> Any other brand I should consider ? Any website that offer good deals
> right now ? Any comments are highly appreciated.

Buy a Weber. You can get a 22 inch kettle, perfect size for a patio, for
$80 at Home Depot, Target, Hardware stores and maybe amazon too. It is
ideal for what you cooked on your 'cheap grill'. Plus it can smoke
chickens and baby back ribs with great results. It will last you a life
time.

If your interested in smoking pork butts, briskets and other larger cuts
of meat, get a WSM(Weber Smokey Mountain). Amazon had them last week
for $150, using a $29 promotional certificate. Free shipping too. More
information on the WSM can be found at: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com

It can also function as a grill, though my experience says buy a Kettle
and a Smoker. You will be much happier having them both. Neither one
will have to be replaced any time soon. Buying them both now puts you
over your $150 budget. If your sure you can't spend over $150 now, get
the kettle now and the WSM when $$$ are more plentiful.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ
> Thanks
> Chris

Billy B

On 25 Feb 2004 19:28:16 -0800, (chris) wrote:

>Any other brand I should consider ? Any website that offer good deals
>right now ? Any comments are highly appreciated.

Have a look at:
http://www.chargriller.com/superpro.html

It's a little over your $150 price, but I think Home Depot/Lowes
usually carry these at around $150. The nice thing is, if you can
scrape together another $50 you can add the offset fire box and have a
really good grill and a pretty good smoker. It even does a decent job
as smoker without the fire box by putting the food at the chimney end
and the coals at the other end. I cooked for a year like that before
getting the fire box added to mine. The four cast iron grates make it
easy to add coals while cooking and the ash pan makes cleaning it out
a snap.

I've had mine for going on 7 years now and have been very happy with
it. It's starting to show some rust on the firebox, but that's just
because I'm too lazy to scrape and paint it.

I just ordered a WSM from Amazon for $141, but I don't know if that
deal is still available. This is a great option if you want a smoker,
but the grilling capability is not so great. If you mostly want a
charcoal grill I think the Chargriller would be a better choice.
John H

I totally agree with the going with Weber. I currently have a 22 inch
grill that is easliy 25 years old. Never been covered, left out
durning the winter...only rain in Oregon, and still does a mean
steaks, burgesr, and chops..whatever you want, but does not smoke that
well. So I am currenly waiting for the NEW WSM to show up in a couple
weeks from Amazon.

I hope the new WSM holds up like the old kettle.

John

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 06:07:00 -0500, " BOB" >
wrote:

>chris wrote:
>> I managed to buy a house last year, so now I am looking to buy a new
>> charcoal grill for this summer. My budget is under $150. I have been
>> trying to educate myself on this topic. It seems that my choice has
>> narrow down to $150 Weber at local store and Brinkman Professional at
>> Sams club for $150. I have never own both brand, so not sure what
>> advantage one over another besides the Brinkman is larger :-) I cook
>> steak, burger, hotdogs, fish, pretty much everything with my old cheap
>> grill when I used to live in an apartment. I am concern of which one
>> last longer since I can not afford getting new grill every other year.
>> Any other brand I should consider ? Any website that offer good deals
>> right now ? Any comments are highly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Chris

>Webber Smokey Mountain (WSM)
>
>Look back about a week in this newsgroup, you'll see threads on buying one from
>amazon.com (I think). Also, someone found one for about $100 at one of the big
>box stores.
>Good Luck!
>
>BOB

Jack Sloan

"chris" > wrote in message
om...
> I managed to buy a house last year, so now I am looking to buy a new
> charcoal grill for this summer. My budget is under $150. I have been
> trying to educate myself on this topic. It seems that my choice has
> narrow down to $150 Weber at local store and Brinkman Professional at
> Sams club for $150. I have never own both brand, so not sure what
> advantage one over another besides the Brinkman is larger :-) I cook
> steak, burger, hotdogs, fish, pretty much everything with my old cheap
> grill when I used to live in an apartment. I am concern of which one
> last longer since I can not afford getting new grill every other year.
> Any other brand I should consider ? Any website that offer good deals
> right now ? Any comments are highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Chris

If the one you saw at Sam's is the one I saw at Sams with the adjustable
charcoal grid ...then that's the one to buy. Easily adjusted and big enough
for offset cooking with a lot of groceries. If I didn't have too many rigs
already, I'd buy one.
Jack

Duwop

Billy B wrote:
> On 25 Feb 2004 19:28:16 -0800, (chris) wrote:
>
>> Any other brand I should consider ? Any website that offer good deals
>> right now ? Any comments are highly appreciated.
>>

> Have a look at:
http://www.chargriller.com/superpro.html

I've got one and it packs a lot of bang for the buck, lots of room, good for
grilling or BBQ. Could be better at BBQ if it was a thicker gauge and less
leaky, but hell, can't have everything. I'd choose it over a WSM because of
the grilling.

> I've had mine for going on 7 years now and have been very happy with
> it. It's starting to show some rust on the firebox, but that's just
> because I'm too lazy to scrape and paint it.

Mine rusted after the 1st cook burnt the paint off the firebox. Makes it
prettier IMO, orange and black go well together.
It gets a lot of use, and after 4 summers it needs new fire grates since the
originals are burnt pretty much through in both the main unit and the
firebox.

frohe

Duwop wrote:
> Could be better at BBQ if it was a thicker
> gauge and less leaky, but hell, can't have everything.

Ya want thin gauge and leaky?? Get ya a 55 gallon cooker like mine. And, it
makes great Q.

No... wait; that's me that makes the good Q.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

chris

Default How to fix a scratched Weber grill ? Best bang for......

Bought a Weber 22.5 in green color one touch gold for $90 yesterday
from local store. Very nice grill. Thank you for everyone who reply
and post comments. I really appreciate it.

I just finished grilling a chicken breast tonight. Really cool !
Chicken tasted great...I am looking forward to grill more food, but it
is supposed to rain until next Tue, what a bummer !

The grill was the last one they have. They are waiting for a new
shipment for this year. The grill was a store model, thats why I only
pay $90. Problem is that the lid was dinged/sratched a little,
exposing the metal about the size of a dime. How can I repair/prevent
rust ?

Thanks
Chris

(chris) wrote in message . com>...
> I managed to buy a house last year, so now I am looking to buy a new
> charcoal grill for this summer. My budget is under $150. I have been
> trying to educate myself on this topic. It seems that my choice has
> narrow down to $150 Weber at local store and Brinkman Professional at
> Sams club for $150. I have never own both brand, so not sure what
> advantage one over another besides the Brinkman is larger :-) I cook
> steak, burger, hotdogs, fish, pretty much everything with my old cheap
> grill when I used to live in an apartment. I am concern of which one
> last longer since I can not afford getting new grill every other year.
> Any other brand I should consider ? Any website that offer good deals
> right now ? Any comments are highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Chris

JL

"chris" > wrote:
> Bought a Weber 22.5 in green color one touch gold for $90 yesterday
> from local store. Very nice grill. Thank you for everyone who reply
> and post comments. I really appreciate it.
>
> I just finished grilling a chicken breast tonight. Really cool !
> Chicken tasted great...I am looking forward to grill more food, but it
> is supposed to rain until next Tue, what a bummer !
>
> The grill was the last one they have. They are waiting for a new
> shipment for this year. The grill was a store model, thats why I only
> pay $90. Problem is that the lid was dinged/sratched a little,
> exposing the metal about the size of a dime. How can I repair/prevent
> rust ?
>
> Thanks
> Chris

I've repeated this story for years, here, and I'll do it again.

When I bought my Weber Genesis, when I got it out of the box,
the lid was dinged/scratched. I called Weber and they sent me
a replacement with zero hesitation. And for my trouble,
they threw in a Weber BBQ cookbook.

Call Weber - you'll be amazed.

bbq

chris wrote:

> Bought a Weber 22.5 in green color one touch gold for $90 yesterday
> from local store. Very nice grill. Thank you for everyone who reply
> and post comments. I really appreciate it.

Congratulations. You bought an excellent grill. Will last you forever.

> I just finished grilling a chicken breast tonight. Really cool !
> Chicken tasted great...I am looking forward to grill more food, but it
> is supposed to rain until next Tue, what a bummer !

Lots of good Q'en day's ahead.

> The grill was the last one they have. They are waiting for a new
> shipment for this year. The grill was a store model, thats why I only
> pay $90. Problem is that the lid was dinged/sratched a little,
> exposing the metal about the size of a dime. How can I repair/prevent
> rust ?

At Home Depot I have seen a high temperature paint, made especially for
grills. Though all I remember seeing is the color black. Call Weber
and see if green is available. I wouldn't worry about getting the dent
out. Sand the scratched area a little and apply paint. You'll be OK.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

> Thanks
> Chris
>
> (chris) wrote in message . com>...
>
>>I managed to buy a house last year, so now I am looking to buy a new
>>charcoal grill for this summer. My budget is under $150. I have been
>>trying to educate myself on this topic. It seems that my choice has
>>narrow down to $150 Weber at local store and Brinkman Professional at
>>Sams club for $150. I have never own both brand, so not sure what
>>advantage one over another besides the Brinkman is larger :-) I cook
>>steak, burger, hotdogs, fish, pretty much everything with my old cheap
>>grill when I used to live in an apartment. I am concern of which one
>>last longer since I can not afford getting new grill every other year.
>>Any other brand I should consider ? Any website that offer good deals
>>right now ? Any comments are highly appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Chris

Ted

Call Weber and get a touch up kit. I have never seen them for sale
anywhere other then the Weber Warehouse Sale in Huntly, IL.

Or, let it go. Gives the grill some character, plus the rest of it
will probably fall apart before it ever rusts through.

I have a Weber Performer Grill charcoal with gas start and I love it,
but they need to put a 20 lb. LPG bottle on it. The little 5 lb. LPG
bottle doesn't last very long and cost the same amount to fill it as
does a tank exchange for a 20 pounder.

Enjoy

Ted
Duwop

Default How to fix a scratched Weber grill ? Best bang for...... (1/1)

BKahuna wrote:

Yo Kahuna, cool pic, but could you use the binaries group for pics next time
please? Seems that non binary NG's can lose their charter if too many
binaries are posted to them. Retention rate gets worse, and some say the end
of the world comes closer even. Really dire stuff.

BTW, how does Homer cook, and does he change color when hot?

BOB

Duwop wrote:
> BKahuna wrote:
>
> Yo Kahuna, cool pic, but could you use the binaries group for pics next time
> please? Seems that non binary NG's can lose their charter if too many
> binaries are posted to them. Retention rate gets worse, and some say the end
> of the world comes closer even. Really dire stuff.
>
> BTW, how does Homer cook, and does he change color when hot?
>
> --

I got a "Homer" Smokey Joe for, IIRC, $15 USD a few years ago. No, he doesn't
change color. :>( I kinda watched him the first few times, just to see.

BOB

BKahuna

Sorry about the binaries. Thanks for the polite way in which you
informed me. It' appreciated.

I'm kicking myself that I didn't snatch up a few of these when Amazon
dumped them.

Oh well, next time maybe they'll have "King of the Hill" grills. Even
thought they'll probably be propane.
Steve Sanders

Ted wrote:
> Call Weber and get a touch up kit. I have never seen them for sale
> anywhere other then the Weber Warehouse Sale in Huntly, IL.
>
> Or, let it go. Gives the grill some character, plus the rest of it
> will probably fall apart before it ever rusts through.
>
> I have a Weber Performer Grill charcoal with gas start and I love it,
> but they need to put a 20 lb. LPG bottle on it. The little 5 lb. LPG
> bottle doesn't last very long and cost the same amount to fill it as
> does a tank exchange for a 20 pounder.
>
> Enjoy
>
> Ted

There is an adapter sold at Home depot and other outlets that converts
the little gas bottle connection to allow connection of a standard gas
grill propane bottle. Has a hose to connect to the bottle.

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
I managed to buy a house last year, so now I am looking to buy a new
charcoal grill for this summer. My budget is under $150. I have been
trying to educate myself on this topic. It seems that my choice has
narrow down to $150 Weber at local store and Brinkman Professional at
Sams club for $150. I have never own both brand, so not sure what
advantage one over another besides the Brinkman is larger :-) I cook
steak, burger, hotdogs, fish, pretty much everything with my old cheap
grill when I used to live in an apartment. I am concern of which one
last longer since I can not afford getting new grill every other year.
Any other brand I should consider ? Any website that offer good deals
right now ? Any comments are highly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
If you want to buy the charcoal grill then i think Weber charcoal grill is best for you. It has features like hinged side openings that make adding charcoal easily. But the most important feature is the One Touch cleaning and venting system. It is a high quality, good looking, and great performing grill that you want. You can buy this charcoal grill in the low price.
Member

[...]

I think "Weber One Touch Silver Kettle Grill" is one of the best charcoal grill. Its priced is so cheaper but performance is very good. The Most important features of Weber charcoal grill are One Touch cleaning and venting. You can easily buy it from market and online stores.