Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Iberian Dinner

Blind tasting dinner notes - Iberian theme:

2005 Estecello Blanco (Catalyud) - this Maccabeo was somewhat darker
than expected in colour, had quite a sweet nose, some sweetness in the
mouth, and was an unpretentious little wine.

2004 Sogrape Reserva Bianco (Douro) - a Portuguese reserve white made
from the equivalent of Albarino in Spain, this wine showed some class
along with some oak. Smooth, soft and tasty.

1991 Montecillo Gran Reserva Rioja - nice pure oak and fruit nose,
with some black olive, medium bodied with high terminal acidity that
worked with food but was bit too much on it's own. Good.

1998 Fonseca Garraferia 'FSF' - this one was a blend of Trincadeira,
Syrah and Tannat(!). It showed a very attractive dark fruit and
licorice nose, soft entry, good balance, lush and long. Good now and
for some years. A winner.

2000 Quinta do Crasto Riserva - perhaps the best vintage made of this
wine to that date. 70 year old vines from a single estate, mixed
French and American oak, bottled without filtration. Sweet dark nose,
vanilla and plum, and smooth on palate with good length. Hitting prime
time now.

1996 Muga Prado Enea Rioja Gran Riserva - again, lots of sweet oak in
the nose, but it turned to a powdered sugar sort of nose, and would
not have been identifiable as Rioja had it been served in another
setting. Very un-Rioja-like, I thought.

2003 Niepoort Redoma - Dirk Niepoort has been championing dry reds
made in a Port region from Port varietals and it certainly seems to
work. Dark wine with an intense sweet nose (all this 'sweet', it
should be understood, comes from oak, not sugars). Also sweet and
hefty on palate with yes, yet more oak presence. Excellent length.
This one is just starting to drink well. Nice wine.

1978 Muga Prado Enea Gran Riserva Rioja - a delight to share a well
aged bottle of old style Rioja. The nose had white pepper and black
olive (the wood was FINALLY integrated) and it was elegant and smooth
with great length. The only really traditional Rioja of the night.

1983 Smith Woodhouse Port - warm and oddly minty nose, not quite
melded together, seeming young and very tasty. I'd leave this awhile
yet. Makes me wonder why I bought the 2000 and when I'll be able to
drink it.

1968 Krone Colheita - this one was a lot of fun. Hot nose, pale
colour, and a Sherry like nose made us wonder exactly what we were
drinking. Nose of a fino, colour of a tawny Port, an interesting old
wine holding up brilliantly.

A night without one dud wine - in fact they were all very
interesting.

Posted to alt.food.wine

> 1978 Muga Prado Enea Gran Riserva Rioja - a delight to share a well
> aged bottle of old style Rioja. The nose had white pepper and black
> olive (the wood was FINALLY integrated) and it was elegant and smooth
> with great length. The only really traditional Rioja of the night.

Thanks for the notes Bill.
some esoteric wines you had there

and one old fashioned Rioja

John

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 18, 9:34 am, "John T" > wrote:
> > 1978 Muga Prado Enea Gran Riserva Rioja - a delight to share a well

> and one old fashioned Rioja

Yes, I like that sort of wine, but they don't seem to get may
Parkerpoints so the winemakers tend not to do it any more - a shame.

The other one that has disappeared (at least in the export market) is
the old style white Rioja, yellow and oaked til you could drive nails
in it. Wouldn't want to drink it every day, but it was a highly
idiosyncratic and arguably interesting wine.

Quick Thanksgiving Post-Dinner Snack After Noon Dinner Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 2 26-11-2011 03:05 PM
TN: 2 Rieslings, 1 Arneis, 1 Iberian pink DaleW Wine 0 19-10-2011 01:25 AM
Drinks before dinner and wine with dinner... maxine in ri General Cooking 20 08-09-2009 07:13 AM
TN: 5 Iberian Wines DaleW Wine 4 07-05-2007 03:33 PM
Iberian Notes Bill S. Wine 0 13-01-2007 05:57 PM