Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 5 Iberian Wines

Friday my villlage tasting group met, theme was Iberian wines. Served
blind:

1995 Muga 'Prado Enea' Rioja Gran Riserva
No guesses a it was my wine. Medium bodied, resolved tannins, no hurry
but I don't think this is destined for the ages. Red fruit accented
witth a a lottle vanilla and cigarbox, good acidity, nice balance. B+/
A-

Next wine showed well also, red fruit with a little spice and hint of
oak. Guessed Rioja, was right, the 1997 Finca Valpiedra Rioja Reserva.
B/B+

Next wine is obviously younger, ripe kirsch and black plum fruit, some
oak and tannins need to integrate, I guess Priorat, I'm in wrong
country, its the 2004 Meandro Quinta do Vale Meao (Douro). B

Next wine reminds me of the Douro (well, really more of Languedoc or
Chateauneuf), kirsch and blackberries under a wall of oak. Many liked
a lit, definitely not my style. I didn't actually guess, which is a
good thing, as it was from a DO I had never heard of, Montsant. 2003
Solpost. A B-/C+ from me, but quality is good, and quercophilic
fruitbomb lovers should seek this out.

Last wine was more subdued, maybe a little tired. Medium-bodied,
lighter red fruit, some cedar meets vanilla oak notes. Mature Rioja is
consensus around table, we're right, it's the 1995 Marques de Murrieta
"Ygay" Rioja Reserva. B/B+

Fun night with the guys, I like tastings where I can walk home.

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Friday my villlage tasting group met, theme was Iberian wines. Served
> blind:
>
> 1995 Muga 'Prado Enea' Rioja Gran Riserva
> No guesses a it was my wine. Medium bodied, resolved tannins, no hurry
> but I don't think this is destined for the ages. Red fruit accented
> witth a a lottle vanilla and cigarbox, good acidity, nice balance. B+/
> A-

Prado Enea is one of the few Riojas I still seek out, though I steer far
clear of Torre Muga ;-) I'm not surprised that it was as good as it was.

> Next wine showed well also, red fruit with a little spice and hint of
> oak. Guessed Rioja, was right, the 1997 Finca Valpiedra Rioja Reserva.
> B/B+

Wasn't '97 the year from Hell in Rioja? I'm surprised that this wine
was as good as it was.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote in :

> Prado Enea is one of the few Riojas I still seek out, though I steer far
> clear of Torre Muga ;-) I'm not surprised that it was as good as it was.

I have also liked this wine in the past. I attended a tasting where it was
featured and, to me, it is the best wine of the winery. Even better than
the much hyped ARO.

>> Next wine showed well also, red fruit with a little spice and hint of
>> oak. Guessed Rioja, was right, the 1997 Finca Valpiedra Rioja Reserva.
>> B/B+

> Wasn't '97 the year from Hell in Rioja? I'm surprised that this wine
> was as good as it was.

It was, but even from the beginning, there was a consensus with Finca
Valpiedra as winner of the vintage. FWIW, Finca Valpiedra has quite a core
of Cabernet Sauvignon on it.

About Montsant, the area that Dale had not heard about, is a D.O. that
surrounds Priorat.

Best,

S.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 6, 2:45�pm, santiago > wrote:
> Mark Lipton > wrote :
>

> > Prado Enea is one of the few Riojas I still seek out, though I steer far
> > clear of Torre Muga ;-) *I'm not surprised that it was as good as it was.

> I have also liked this wine in the past. I attended a tasting where it was
> featured and, to me, it is the best wine of the winery. Even better than
> the much hyped ARO.
>

> >> Next wine showed well also, red fruit with a little spice and hint of
> >> oak. Guessed Rioja, was right, the 1997 Finca Valpiedra Rioja Reserva.
> >> B/B+

> > Wasn't '97 the year from Hell in Rioja? *I'm surprised that this wine
> > was as good as it was.

> It was, but even from the beginning, there was a consensus with Finca
> Valpiedra as winner of the vintage. FWIW, Finca Valpiedra has quite a core
> of Cabernet Sauvignon on it.
>
> About Montsant, the area that Dale had not heard about, is a D.O. that
> surrounds Priorat.
>
> Best,
>
> S.

Thanks Santiago. I realized yesterday I had previously tried a
Montsant - I was in Astor Wines and the display next to a wine I was
getting had "Exciting DO- Montsant!" on shelftalker- and it was a wine
I've tried a couple of times the Capcanes Mas Doix.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote on 7 May 2007 05:11:19 -0700:

I was mildly excited when I saw the subject and I thought that
global warming was proceeding faster than I ever thought:
"Siberian Wines"! I should slow down a bit :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

When wines go from being wine boutique wines to supermarket wines Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 5 16-05-2015 07:49 PM
TN: 2 Rieslings, 1 Arneis, 1 Iberian pink DaleW Wine 0 19-10-2011 01:25 AM
Iberian Dinner Bill S. Wine 3 22-11-2007 04:17 PM
Iberian Notes Bill S. Wine 0 13-01-2007 05:57 PM
TN: wines with pasta, wines with rice noodles, wines with fondue DaleW Wine 1 26-12-2006 04:23 AM