Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Woot Wines

Dunno if any of you have gotten into Woot-watching, but the Wootsters
have added a Woot Wine web site and they offer some good values in
very nice wines.

(Woot.com is a web site that offers one item for sale at incredible
bargain prices each day at midnight. They do some creative writing to
describe the product, which is worth the visit even if you don't buy.
Typically it is some electronic gadgetry and when it is sold out,
that's all there is.)

The wine site is http://wine.woot.com/

Recently they offered a three-bottle vertical from Kent Rasmussen.
Three vintages of Petite Syrah, 2000, 01 and 02. Same varietal, same
vineyard, same producer, but truly remarkable in the differences in
the wine. Good value at about $55 for the trio.

Also among the recent wines was a three bottle horizontal of Ch.
Souverain single-vineyard zinfandels. Again, very nice wines and a
real bargain at about $45. A check at the Souverain web site indicates
that regular price would be about $60 for the package.

Wines are offered for a week at a time and so far I've not had a bad
experience. YMMV.

(Disclaimer--I am not affiliated in any way with Woot or any of the
wineries offered. I offer this observation only from the perspective
of someone who enjoys wine and expanding my experience with different
wines. When I find good recommendations, I tend to recommend the
source.)

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

While I can understand why people choose websites like wine.woot, you
can't forget that these sites and big chain stores (Total Wine, etc)
are killing the small independent wine retailers like myself. What you
may save on wine.woot, you may end up paying in shipping charges.

You may also want to check our eBay's Wine Auctions: eBay Stores> Home
& Garden> Food & Wine> Wine

Linda Blakely
Ex USAF Photographer ;-)
"Wine...it's not just for breakfast anymore"
www.letstalkwine.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 12 May 2007 08:14:25 -0700, wrote:

>While I can understand why people choose websites like wine.woot, you
>can't forget that these sites and big chain stores (Total Wine, etc)
>are killing the small independent wine retailers like myself. What you
>may save on wine.woot, you may end up paying in shipping charges.
>
>You may also want to check our eBay's Wine Auctions: eBay Stores> Home
>& Garden> Food & Wine> Wine
>
>Linda Blakely
>Ex USAF Photographer ;-)
>"Wine...it's not just for breakfast anymore"

www.letstalkwine.blogspot.com

I can sympathize--but only a little bit. The same argument used to be
applied to libraries by bookstores and video rental places (I spent
ten years serving on a Board of Trustees of a major metro library
district.) The actual fact is that libraries whet the appetite of
readers and video watchers so that they actually spur business.

Let me start by noting that a lot of folks don't live places where
good independent wine retailers are easily accessible. Whitesboro TX
where I now reside is such a place. Sure, Dallas is just a short hour
and a half drive away, but that's not always convenient. And, although
there are some knowledgeable retailers, I'm just as likely to be
gazing at a wall full of bottles with artsy labels and inane "shelf
talkers" to make my selections.

My reason for bringing up my Woot experience was that, just as with
good restaurant wine lists, the hunting for value has already been
done for me. I've got a better chance of being introduced to something
I'll enjoy and the pricing is typically a "loss leader" for the
winery. Since Woot is a one shot buying experience, I'm then more
likely to visit my local wine retailer to buy more of what I enjoyed.
It's a win/win experience in my book.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com

Woot Offers... Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 9 23-06-2015 07:47 PM
Woot Offers... sf[_9_] General Cooking 1 23-06-2015 02:05 AM
woot again Nonny Barbecue 0 04-12-2009 03:30 AM
woot Thermometer Nonny Barbecue 9 12-10-2009 10:32 PM
Fife Wines on Woot Ed Rasimus Wine 0 08-06-2007 04:04 PM