Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Fife Wines on Woot

A couple of weeks ago the offering on WootWine.com was a trio of Fife
Vineyard offerings. As a long time fine of Fife Zinfandels (Whaler,
Redhead and Mendocino are all great IMHO), I jumped on the bandwagon
and order three sets of three bottles. Cost per trio was a paltry $40.

The wines were a 2004 Fife Rose of Carignane (Mendocino), a 2001
Redhead Vineyard Petite Syrah (Mendocino), and a 2001 Old Yokayo
Rancho Vineyard Syrah (Mendocino). Based on the '01 vintages I suspect
it was a warehouse clearance effort to make room for newer wines.

The Rose was good if not distinctive. Bright and not too sweet with
strawberry, violet and rose (flower) notes. Pleasant summer evening on
the deck quaffer.

The Petite Syrah came with a load of rubber boots from the damp
basement notes. Whether TCA or Brett I couldn't tell you, but bottle
#1 didn't bring the expected PS flavors I hoped for. Will report back
soon on whether that was a singular abberation or characteristic of
the three bottles I received.

The Syrah, however, was spectacular. Color was an incredible deep
blackish-brown. The nose was full of black cherry and an elusive
spicy/mineral/petrol note--not at all unpleasant, just unavailable in
my lexicon to describe. The taste was huge, velvety and fullfilling
the heavy black fruit promise.

The result was a quick order of another case of the Syrah.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com

Fife Vineyards Cabernet--2004 James Silverton[_4_] Wine 1 27-03-2010 08:15 PM
woot again Nonny Barbecue 0 04-12-2009 03:30 AM
Woot Wines Ed Rasimus Wine 2 12-05-2007 06:29 PM
Mexican restaurants in Fife Lesley Gault Restaurants 3 25-02-2004 10:46 AM
Mexican restaurants in Fife mwalkeruk Restaurants 0 23-02-2004 09:55 AM