Posted to alt.food.wine

Default A Few Chards with Dinner

Last night with Chicken Picata (Giada's), roasted garlic couscous and
grilled veggies I opened a couple of Chards.

1997 Latour Corton Charlemagne-Deep gold in color. The nose showd a
fair amount of raosted hazelnut and a touch of oak. Quite rich on the
palate with pear and golden delicious apple coming through a fairly
opulent mouth feel. Plenty going on and the wine has probably
peaked. No oxidized notes.
A- on the Dale Scale.

2000 Domaine Laroche Chablis Les Blanchots-Pale shimmering gold in the
glass. Creamy lemon curd and exotic spices mixed with a thick
minerality across the palate. While a bit tight on the nose, it
really opened up on the palate. A on the Dale Scale

2002 Shafer Red Shoulders Ranch Chardonnay-While this is ususally one
of my favorite California Chards, compared to the two French Burgs it
was just too much of everything. Fairly heavy aromas of oak and
butter with some orange/lemon marmalade. Ripe fruits pears, peaches
and citrus fruits dominate leaving a mouthcoating heaviness that was
almost cloying. B on the Dale Scale.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 3, 2:36 pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> Last night with Chicken Picata (Giada's), roasted garlic couscous and
> grilled veggies I opened a couple of Chards.
>
> 1997 Latour Corton Charlemagne-Deep gold in color. The nose showd a
> fair amount of raosted hazelnut and a touch of oak. Quite rich on the
> palate with pear and golden delicious apple coming through a fairly
> opulent mouth feel. Plenty going on and the wine has probably
> peaked. No oxidized notes.
> A- on the Dale Scale.
>
> 2000 Domaine Laroche Chablis Les Blanchots-Pale shimmering gold in the
> glass. Creamy lemon curd and exotic spices mixed with a thick
> minerality across the palate. While a bit tight on the nose, it
> really opened up on the palate. A on the Dale Scale
>
> 2002 Shafer Red Shoulders Ranch Chardonnay-While this is ususally one
> of my favorite California Chards, compared to the two French Burgs it
> was just too much of everything. Fairly heavy aromas of oak and
> butter with some orange/lemon marmalade. Ripe fruits pears, peaches
> and citrus fruits dominate leaving a mouthcoating heaviness that was
> almost cloying. B on the Dale Scale.

Are there California Chardonnays that are NOT "too much of everything"?

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 3 Apr 2007 14:27:01 -0700, "UC" > wrote:

>On Apr 3, 2:36 pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>> Last night with Chicken Picata (Giada's), roasted garlic couscous and
>> grilled veggies I opened a couple of Chards.
>>
>> 1997 Latour Corton Charlemagne-Deep gold in color. The nose showd a
>> fair amount of raosted hazelnut and a touch of oak. Quite rich on the
>> palate with pear and golden delicious apple coming through a fairly
>> opulent mouth feel. Plenty going on and the wine has probably
>> peaked. No oxidized notes.
>> A- on the Dale Scale.
>>
>> 2000 Domaine Laroche Chablis Les Blanchots-Pale shimmering gold in the
>> glass. Creamy lemon curd and exotic spices mixed with a thick
>> minerality across the palate. While a bit tight on the nose, it
>> really opened up on the palate. A on the Dale Scale
>>
>> 2002 Shafer Red Shoulders Ranch Chardonnay-While this is ususally one
>> of my favorite California Chards, compared to the two French Burgs it
>> was just too much of everything. Fairly heavy aromas of oak and
>> butter with some orange/lemon marmalade. Ripe fruits pears, peaches
>> and citrus fruits dominate leaving a mouthcoating heaviness that was
>> almost cloying. B on the Dale Scale.

>Are there California Chardonnays that are NOT "too much of everything"?

In direct reply, yes. There are a wide range of California Chardonnay
styles.

But, the question that immediately comes to mind is why would you
care? You've been very clear that CA wines will never touch your lips.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

UC wrote:

> Are there California Chardonnays that are NOT "too much of everything"?

I assume you are referring to the California Chardonnays that are either
over oaked or too high % that went through maloatic. I saw that fad
with many of the larger producers through the 90's. The smaller
wineries rarely made Chards in the over blown style and the larger
wineries have mostly gone away from it.

I like a rather bold Chardonnay myself but neither over oaked nor too
buttery. I like a balance with lots of fruit and buttery. I don't like
the overly crisp acidic Chardonnays at all.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 3, 6:08 pm, Ed Rasimus > wrote:
> On 3 Apr 2007 14:27:01 -0700, "UC" > wrote:
>

> >On Apr 3, 2:36 pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> >> Last night with Chicken Picata (Giada's), roasted garlic couscous and
> >> grilled veggies I opened a couple of Chards.

> >> 1997 Latour Corton Charlemagne-Deep gold in color. The nose showd a
> >> fair amount of raosted hazelnut and a touch of oak. Quite rich on the
> >> palate with pear and golden delicious apple coming through a fairly
> >> opulent mouth feel. Plenty going on and the wine has probably
> >> peaked. No oxidized notes.
> >> A- on the Dale Scale.

> >> 2000 Domaine Laroche Chablis Les Blanchots-Pale shimmering gold in the
> >> glass. Creamy lemon curd and exotic spices mixed with a thick
> >> minerality across the palate. While a bit tight on the nose, it
> >> really opened up on the palate. A on the Dale Scale

> >> 2002 Shafer Red Shoulders Ranch Chardonnay-While this is ususally one
> >> of my favorite California Chards, compared to the two French Burgs it
> >> was just too much of everything. Fairly heavy aromas of oak and
> >> butter with some orange/lemon marmalade. Ripe fruits pears, peaches
> >> and citrus fruits dominate leaving a mouthcoating heaviness that was
> >> almost cloying. B on the Dale Scale.

> >Are there California Chardonnays that are NOT "too much of everything"?

> In direct reply, yes. There are a wide range of California Chardonnay
> styles.
>
> But, the question that immediately comes to mind is why would you
> care? You've been very clear that CA wines will never touch your lips.

Just enjoying stupid American pet tricks.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 3, 2:36�pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> Last night with Chicken Picata (Giada's), roasted garlic couscous and
> grilled veggies I opened a couple of Chards.
>
> 1997 Latour Corton Charlemagne-Deep gold in color. *The nose showd a
> fair amount of raosted hazelnut and a touch of oak. *Quite rich on the
> palate with pear and golden delicious apple coming through a fairly
> opulent mouth feel. *Plenty going on and the wine has probably
> peaked. *No oxidized notes.
> A- on the Dale Scale.
>
> 2000 Domaine Laroche Chablis Les Blanchots-Pale shimmering gold in the
> glass. *Creamy lemon curd and exotic spices mixed with a thick
> minerality across the palate. *While a bit tight on the nose, it
> really opened up on the palate. *A on the Dale Scale
>
> 2002 Shafer Red Shoulders Ranch Chardonnay-While this is ususally one
> of my favorite California Chards, compared to the two French Burgs it
> was just too much of everything. *Fairly heavy aromas of oak and
> butter with some orange/lemon marmalade. *Ripe fruits pears, peaches
> and citrus fruits dominate leaving a mouthcoating heaviness that was
> almost cloying. *B on the Dale Scale.

If you asked me, I'd probably diss 1997 white Burgundies. But at the
upper end (BdM Corton-C, Leflaive and Jadot Batards, etc) there are
some stunning wines (if earlier maturing than some other vintages)

Thanks for the notes on the Laroche. I like the house, though I seldom
see anything but the regional level St Martin bottling.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 4, 9:14?am, "DaleW" > wrote:
> On Apr 3, 2:36?pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > Last night with Chicken Picata (Giada's), roasted garlic couscous and
> > grilled veggies I opened a couple of Chards.

> > 1997 Latour Corton Charlemagne-Deep gold in color. ?The nose showd a
> > fair amount of raosted hazelnut and a touch of oak. ?Quite rich on the
> > palate with pear and golden delicious apple coming through a fairly
> > opulent mouth feel. ?Plenty going on and the wine has probably
> > peaked. ?No oxidized notes.
> > A- on the Dale Scale.

> > 2000 Domaine Laroche Chablis Les Blanchots-Pale shimmering gold in the
> > glass. ?Creamy lemon curd and exotic spices mixed with a thick
> > minerality across the palate. ?While a bit tight on the nose, it
> > really opened up on the palate. ?A on the Dale Scale

> > 2002 Shafer Red Shoulders Ranch Chardonnay-While this is ususally one
> > of my favorite California Chards, compared to the two French Burgs it
> > was just too much of everything. ?Fairly heavy aromas of oak and
> > butter with some orange/lemon marmalade. ?Ripe fruits pears, peaches
> > and citrus fruits dominate leaving a mouthcoating heaviness that was
> > almost cloying. ?B on the Dale Scale.

> If you asked me, I'd probably diss 1997 white Burgundies. But at the
> upper end (BdM Corton-C, Leflaive and Jadot Batards, etc) there are
> some stunning wines (if earlier maturing than some other vintages)
>
> Thanks for the notes on the Laroche. I like the house, though I seldom
> see anything but the regional level St Martin bottling.- Hide quoted text -

Agreed on the '97 burgs but I got a good buy on it at close out and it
is really drinking well right now. IIRC the importer of Laroche
suffered a monstrous loss a few years back when a number of reefer
containers went bad in transit due to unforseen delays causing the
reefers to run out of fuel cooking most of the US allocation.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 4, 9:14 am, "DaleW" > wrote:
> On Apr 3, 2:36?pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > Last night with Chicken Picata (Giada's), roasted garlic couscous and
> > grilled veggies I opened a couple of Chards.

> > 1997 Latour Corton Charlemagne-Deep gold in color. The nose showd a
> > fair amount of raosted hazelnut and a touch of oak. Quite rich on the
> > palate with pear and golden delicious apple coming through a fairly
> > opulent mouth feel. Plenty going on and the wine has probably
> > peaked. No oxidized notes.
> > A- on the Dale Scale.

> > 2000 Domaine Laroche Chablis Les Blanchots-Pale shimmering gold in the
> > glass. Creamy lemon curd and exotic spices mixed with a thick
> > minerality across the palate. While a bit tight on the nose, it
> > really opened up on the palate. A on the Dale Scale

> > 2002 Shafer Red Shoulders Ranch Chardonnay-While this is ususally one
> > of my favorite California Chards, compared to the two French Burgs it
> > was just too much of everything. Fairly heavy aromas of oak and
> > butter with some orange/lemon marmalade. Ripe fruits pears, peaches
> > and citrus fruits dominate leaving a mouthcoating heaviness that was
> > almost cloying. B on the Dale Scale.

> If you asked me, I'd probably diss 1997 white Burgundies. But at the
> upper end (BdM Corton-C, Leflaive and Jadot Batards, etc) there are
> some stunning wines (if earlier maturing than some other vintages)
>
> Thanks for the notes on the Laroche. I like the house, though I seldom
> see anything but the regional level St Martin bottling.

I have enjoyed a Meursault, ONCE.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article .com>,
says...

>Last night with Chicken Picata (Giada's), roasted garlic couscous and
>grilled veggies I opened a couple of Chards.
>
>1997 Latour Corton Charlemagne-Deep gold in color. The nose showd a
>fair amount of raosted hazelnut and a touch of oak. Quite rich on the
>palate with pear and golden delicious apple coming through a fairly
>opulent mouth feel. Plenty going on and the wine has probably
>peaked. No oxidized notes.
>A- on the Dale Scale.
>
>2000 Domaine Laroche Chablis Les Blanchots-Pale shimmering gold in the
>glass. Creamy lemon curd and exotic spices mixed with a thick
>minerality across the palate. While a bit tight on the nose, it
>really opened up on the palate. A on the Dale Scale
>
>2002 Shafer Red Shoulders Ranch Chardonnay-While this is ususally one
>of my favorite California Chards, compared to the two French Burgs it
>was just too much of everything. Fairly heavy aromas of oak and
>butter with some orange/lemon marmalade. Ripe fruits pears, peaches
>and citrus fruits dominate leaving a mouthcoating heaviness that was
>almost cloying. B on the Dale Scale.

About the appraisal that I would have expected. The Shafer is very, very high
on my list too, but I would expect the outcome.

Now, I'm really curious how these paired with the Picata. We had a similar
pairing recently, and I was going to go with a King Estate Reserve Pinot
Grigio, but could not get to that part of the cellar. I did lesser Puligny-
Montrachet, and it was good, but not great. I'd have loved to have had a bit
more citrus and mineral, but would have had to move about 10 cases out, just
to get there. My second choice was going to be a Sullivan Napa Chard (very
Montrachet-like), but, again, I could not reach it, so I opted for an older
Zind-Humbrecht GW. It was surprising, and with a bit of time to open up in the
glass, did very well.

Thanks for the notes,
Hunt

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article . com>,
says...

>On Apr 3, 2:36 pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>> Last night with Chicken Picata (Giada's), roasted garlic couscous and
>> grilled veggies I opened a couple of Chards.
>>
>> 1997 Latour Corton Charlemagne-Deep gold in color. The nose showd a
>> fair amount of raosted hazelnut and a touch of oak. Quite rich on the
>> palate with pear and golden delicious apple coming through a fairly
>> opulent mouth feel. Plenty going on and the wine has probably
>> peaked. No oxidized notes.
>> A- on the Dale Scale.
>>
>> 2000 Domaine Laroche Chablis Les Blanchots-Pale shimmering gold in the
>> glass. Creamy lemon curd and exotic spices mixed with a thick
>> minerality across the palate. While a bit tight on the nose, it
>> really opened up on the palate. A on the Dale Scale
>>
>> 2002 Shafer Red Shoulders Ranch Chardonnay-While this is ususally one
>> of my favorite California Chards, compared to the two French Burgs it
>> was just too much of everything. Fairly heavy aromas of oak and
>> butter with some orange/lemon marmalade. Ripe fruits pears, peaches
>> and citrus fruits dominate leaving a mouthcoating heaviness that was
>> almost cloying. B on the Dale Scale.

>Are there California Chardonnays that are NOT "too much of everything"?

Yes, several. One of the best examples is TomS's Ch. Burbank. He posts here quite often
and does a wonderful CA Chard. Another, though it has not been quite up to (its) par
lately, is the Sullivan Napa Chard. Their reds are big, bold, in-your-face, but their
Chards are delicate and well-balanced. Yes, they were better, when the fruit was grown
out the front door, but it's still quite good. Some others, that I have enjoyed, are Au
Bon Climate, Sanford and the Far Niente. They are out there, and usually pair with food
better - similar to many, many FR Chards. OTOH, the big guys from CA are nice on their
own.

Hunt

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 5, 1:04�am, (Hunt) wrote:
> In article .com>,
> says...
>

> >Last night with Chicken Picata (Giada's), roasted garlic couscous and
> >grilled veggies I opened a couple of Chards.

> >1997 Latour Corton Charlemagne-Deep gold in color. *The nose showd a
> >fair amount of raosted hazelnut and a touch of oak. *Quite rich on the
> >palate with pear and golden delicious apple coming through a fairly
> >opulent mouth feel. *Plenty going on and the wine has probably
> >peaked. *No oxidized notes.
> >A- on the Dale Scale.

> >2000 Domaine Laroche Chablis Les Blanchots-Pale shimmering gold in the
> >glass. *Creamy lemon curd and exotic spices mixed with a thick
> >minerality across the palate. *While a bit tight on the nose, it
> >really opened up on the palate. *A on the Dale Scale

> >2002 Shafer Red Shoulders Ranch Chardonnay-While this is ususally one
> >of my favorite California Chards, compared to the two French Burgs it
> >was just too much of everything. *Fairly heavy aromas of oak and
> >butter with some orange/lemon marmalade. *Ripe fruits pears, peaches
> >and citrus fruits dominate leaving a mouthcoating heaviness that was
> >almost cloying. *B on the Dale Scale.

> About the appraisal that I would have expected. The Shafer is very, very high
> on my list too, but I would expect the outcome.
>
> Now, I'm really curious how these paired with the Picata. We had a similar
> pairing recently, and I was going to go with a King Estate Reserve Pinot
> Grigio, but could not get to that part of the cellar. I did lesser Puligny-
> Montrachet, and it was good, but not great. I'd have loved to have had a bit
> more citrus and mineral, but would have had to move about 10 cases out, just
> to get there. My second choice was going to be a Sullivan Napa Chard (very
> Montrachet-like), but, again, I could not reach it, so I opted for an older
> Zind-Humbrecht GW. It was surprising, and with a bit of time to open up in the
> glass, did very well.
>
> Thanks for the notes,
> Hunt- Hide quoted text -

The Shafer is an excellent wine but in the context of the other two it
was almost thick and gloppy while the other two were well balanced.
The Chablis was the best match with the Picata given the lemony/citrus
notes and the zippy acidity which cut through the sauce. It also
complimented the piquant capers which was unexpected.

swiss chards Todd Diabetic 14 15-03-2013 08:12 PM
3 Chards Bi!! Wine 2 18-01-2011 05:36 PM
2 Chards Bi!! Wine 2 12-01-2010 09:28 PM
Question re value Chards and Shiraz Mark Lipton Wine 17 10-02-2006 06:25 PM
Old Chards Bill Spohn Wine 8 23-12-2003 07:55 AM