Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Question re value Chards and Shiraz

A friend of mine recently honored me (I think) with the request that I
choose the wines to be served at her wedding reception. She wants to
have a sparkling wine, a Sauvignon Blanc, a Chardonnay and an Aussie
Shiraz. The constraint is the $10/bottle budget for them and their
availability in Indiana. So far, I've got the sparkler (Gruet Brut) and
the SB (Monkey Bay) but I'm really not very knowledgable about lower end
Chardonnays* and Shiraz. Can anyone point me to examples they've liked
recently?

TIA,
Mark Lipton

*I'm actually tempted to try and get either the '04 Brun Bourgogne Blanc
or the '04 Brocard "Jurassique" 3L box (!!), but I dunno if local
distributors can get either of them...
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" inquired of the combined wisdom of the group, thus...

>A friend of mine recently honored me (I think) with the request that
> I choose the wines to be served at her wedding reception.
> She wants to have a sparkling wine, a Sauvignon Blanc,
> a Chardonnay and an Aussie Shiraz. The constraint is the
> $10/bottle budget for them and their availability in Indiana.
> So far, I've got the sparkler (Gruet Brut) and the SB (Monkey Bay)
> but I'm really not very knowledgable about lower end Chardonnays*
> and Shiraz. Can anyone point me to examples they've liked
> recently?

After being released in the US as an export label, Monkey Bay has since been
released here in NZ - I do believe that it is the standard Nobilo SB under a
different livery - and it is not half bad - certainly excellent value for
money.

As to your Australian Shiraz dilemma, I have taken the liberty of looking
through what Sams offers - OK it may not be available in Indiana, but maybe.

Figuring that the likes of Jacobs Creek, Yellowtail and Banrock Station were
a little on the "cheap" side, I saw two on Sams list which were in your
price range which I have tried and could recommend.
(1) Barossa Valley Estate Shiraz, and (2) Lindemans "Reserve" Shiraz both
offered at $9.99

However, if the budget could be s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d a few bucks, there were
two other standouts

Peter Lehmann Shiraz ($15) I think is one of the better wines on their list.
My second choice would be the Penfolds "Hyland" Shiraz ($13).

atb

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

Sometimes geeks have to suck it up. While I love the Brun white and
both Brocard almost-Chablises (Kimmeridgien & Jurassique), the reality
is probably the bride wants to find the comfort zone for the "gimme a
glass of Chardonnay crowd", not to please the 4 to 6 people in the
crowd who might care. I think you'd be better served for her wishes by
picking a more typical CalChard. Maybe Tom S can give some ideas in
this price range, or you'll have to sample yourself- Columbia Crest, RH
Phillips, Cartlidge & Brown, Raymond have all been drinkable to me in
past.

Same applies to Shiraz. The Paringa and Bleasdale Bremerview (maybe a
bit over budget, but if you get a $7 Chard..) are typical without being
gloppy.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Sometimes geeks have to suck it up. While I love the Brun white and
> both Brocard almost-Chablises (Kimmeridgien & Jurassique), the reality
> is probably the bride wants to find the comfort zone for the "gimme a
> glass of Chardonnay crowd", not to please the 4 to 6 people in the
> crowd who might care. I think you'd be better served for her wishes by
> picking a more typical CalChard. Maybe Tom S can give some ideas in
> this price range, or you'll have to sample yourself- Columbia Crest, RH
> Phillips, Cartlidge & Brown, Raymond have all been drinkable to me in
> past.

Spot on, Dale, though the bride is a bit of a wine geek too (she
actually drinks less CalChard than *I* do). My thinking was that a
crisper French Chard would likely please both crowds, but I readily
confess to not knowing the mindset of the "gimme a chard" crowd very
well. Thanks for the recommendations, BTW. I fully intend to sample
anything that I'd recommend to the bride.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

st.helier wrote:

> After being released in the US as an export label, Monkey Bay has since been
> released here in NZ - I do believe that it is the standard Nobilo SB under a
> different livery - and it is not half bad - certainly excellent value for
> money.

Hah!! Yes, MB is made by the House of Nobilo for Constellation (are
they now part of the Constellation empire?). In an ideal world, I'd get
the '04 Villa Maria PR, but I can't really justify paying twice as much
for it...

> As to your Australian Shiraz dilemma, I have taken the liberty of looking
> through what Sams offers - OK it may not be available in Indiana, but maybe.

Alas, Sam's is a different market entirely, but still...

> Figuring that the likes of Jacobs Creek, Yellowtail and Banrock Station were
> a little on the "cheap" side, I saw two on Sams list which were in your
> price range which I have tried and could recommend.
> (1) Barossa Valley Estate Shiraz, and (2) Lindemans "Reserve" Shiraz both
> offered at $9.99
>
> However, if the budget could be s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d a few bucks, there were
> two other standouts
>
> Peter Lehmann Shiraz ($15) I think is one of the better wines on their list.
> My second choice would be the Penfolds "Hyland" Shiraz ($13).

Many thanks, milud.

Off to do more research!!
Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 11:16:19 -0500, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>DaleW wrote:
>> Sometimes geeks have to suck it up. While I love the Brun white and
>> both Brocard almost-Chablises (Kimmeridgien & Jurassique), the reality
>> is probably the bride wants to find the comfort zone for the "gimme a
>> glass of Chardonnay crowd", not to please the 4 to 6 people in the
>> crowd who might care. I think you'd be better served for her wishes by
>> picking a more typical CalChard. Maybe Tom S can give some ideas in
>> this price range, or you'll have to sample yourself- Columbia Crest, RH
>> Phillips, Cartlidge & Brown, Raymond have all been drinkable to me in
>> past.

>Spot on, Dale, though the bride is a bit of a wine geek too (she
>actually drinks less CalChard than *I* do). My thinking was that a
>crisper French Chard would likely please both crowds, but I readily
>confess to not knowing the mindset of the "gimme a chard" crowd very
>well. Thanks for the recommendations, BTW. I fully intend to sample
>anything that I'd recommend to the bride.
>
>Mark Lipton

I lean toward the group that suggests a wedding reception is not in
the category of wine appreciators. What is needed is a wine that those
who appreciate wine will say, "not bad" and those who simply and
reflexively ask for a "glass of red" or "glass of white" will remark
"this is good!"

In that vein, I also agree with the Sam's suggestion---not Sam's in
Chicago, the huge wine/liquor merchandiser, but Sam's as the
membership buying club from Wal-Mart. They offer a small, but well
chosen selection of wines ranging up to $50/bottle for some cabs and
champers, but they also offer some excellent values in every-day
quaffers.

For the bulk consumption of the masses at a wedding reception, I'd
look to the Yellowtail Chard and Shiraz. Sam's near me offers them in
1.5L bottles at about $10.50 per. (The same bottles at local grocery
stores are $14.50, so you're near that desired price point but saving
some bucks as well.)

Spend the money saved on a better cut of beef for the meal.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Ed Rasimus wrote:

> I lean toward the group that suggests a wedding reception is not in
> the category of wine appreciators. What is needed is a wine that those
> who appreciate wine will say, "not bad" and those who simply and
> reflexively ask for a "glass of red" or "glass of white" will remark
> "this is good!"

The trouble, Ed, is that the bride and a fair number of the guests are
-- to varying degrees -- wine geeks. That's in fact why I've got this
gig: the caterer is perfectly willing to choose the wines, but the bride
doesn't trust them, so turns to me instead to find wines that will be
palatable across the board.

> In that vein, I also agree with the Sam's suggestion---not Sam's in
> Chicago, the huge wine/liquor merchandiser, but Sam's as the
> membership buying club from Wal-Mart. They offer a small, but well
> chosen selection of wines ranging up to $50/bottle for some cabs and
> champers, but they also offer some excellent values in every-day
> quaffers.

The issue of retailer is actually beside the point. The caterer must
*supply* the wines for reasons of insurance, etc. What I'm doing is
deciding on which wines the caterer can get through the big Indiana
distributor she works with that'll suit the event. Yellowtail of course
I could do, but perhaps not at the price that you get at Sam's Club.

> Spend the money saved on a better cut of beef for the meal.

There will be no skimping on the food, either, as the foodies will
outnumber even the wine geeks. I've got a $2500 budget for the wine and
have to supply an estimated 300 guests at the reception.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

First, can I assume you are back in Indiana now? Welcome home.

I understand the issue well. I was placed in the same a couple years ago.

When it comes to Chard most people have clear differnces in style...they
like butter/wood or crisp fruit hold the butter/wood.

I did two types for the party. From California there was the Chateau St.
Jean Sonoma Chard...it was about $8.00 at regular retailer...this was for
the butter/wood crowd and I inexpensive white burg for the crisp
fruit.mineral acid crowd. Went over well.

Hope you have success. One of the reds I picked as a cheapo called Collossi
or something like that. It was a Lombardi selection I think. It was a red
wine of sicilian origen and was pretty good to geeks and non geeks.

You could also, as we did for the dias have a few special bottles for that
table placed on that table. So when the masses toast with Sparkling,
Champaigne nv or cava they could have a bottle of Etoile, or Dom or
something special...is the dias is mostly wine geeks. No one non geek
would care or notice.

Good Luck.

dick

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Ed Rasimus wrote:
>
>> I lean toward the group that suggests a wedding reception is not in
>> the category of wine appreciators. What is needed is a wine that those
>> who appreciate wine will say, "not bad" and those who simply and
>> reflexively ask for a "glass of red" or "glass of white" will remark
>> "this is good!"

> The trouble, Ed, is that the bride and a fair number of the guests are
> -- to varying degrees -- wine geeks. That's in fact why I've got this
> gig: the caterer is perfectly willing to choose the wines, but the bride
> doesn't trust them, so turns to me instead to find wines that will be
> palatable across the board.
>

>> In that vein, I also agree with the Sam's suggestion---not Sam's in
>> Chicago, the huge wine/liquor merchandiser, but Sam's as the
>> membership buying club from Wal-Mart. They offer a small, but well
>> chosen selection of wines ranging up to $50/bottle for some cabs and
>> champers, but they also offer some excellent values in every-day
>> quaffers.

> The issue of retailer is actually beside the point. The caterer must
> *supply* the wines for reasons of insurance, etc. What I'm doing is
> deciding on which wines the caterer can get through the big Indiana
> distributor she works with that'll suit the event. Yellowtail of course
> I could do, but perhaps not at the price that you get at Sam's Club.
>
>> Spend the money saved on a better cut of beef for the meal.

> There will be no skimping on the food, either, as the foodies will
> outnumber even the wine geeks. I've got a $2500 budget for the wine and
> have to supply an estimated 300 guests at the reception.
>
> Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message

> The issue of retailer is actually beside the point. The caterer must
> *supply* the wines for reasons of insurance, etc. What I'm doing is
> deciding on which wines the caterer can get through the big Indiana
> distributor she works with that'll suit the event.

I would suggest you get ahold of the distributor and ask if you can get
their recommendations and ask if you can go down for a tasting. I was in a
similar situation once and did this, with the result that I chose a couple
that I never would have thought of on my own. The sales folk were happy to
pass on their experience and samples.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" wrote .....

> Hah!! Yes, MB is made by the House of Nobilo for Constellation
> (are they now part of the Constellation empire?).

Yup, in mid-2000 Nobilos were purchased by BRL Hardy, which then "merged"
with Constellation Brands.

Hooray for globalism !!!

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >, says

>Ed Rasimus wrote:
>
>> I lean toward the group that suggests a wedding reception is not in
>> the category of wine appreciators. What is needed is a wine that those
>> who appreciate wine will say, "not bad" and those who simply and
>> reflexively ask for a "glass of red" or "glass of white" will remark
>> "this is good!"

>The trouble, Ed, is that the bride and a fair number of the guests are
>-- to varying degrees -- wine geeks. That's in fact why I've got this
>gig: the caterer is perfectly willing to choose the wines, but the bride
>doesn't trust them, so turns to me instead to find wines that will be
>palatable across the board.
>

>> In that vein, I also agree with the Sam's suggestion---not Sam's in
>> Chicago, the huge wine/liquor merchandiser, but Sam's as the
>> membership buying club from Wal-Mart. They offer a small, but well
>> chosen selection of wines ranging up to $50/bottle for some cabs and
>> champers, but they also offer some excellent values in every-day
>> quaffers.

>The issue of retailer is actually beside the point. The caterer must
>*supply* the wines for reasons of insurance, etc. What I'm doing is
>deciding on which wines the caterer can get through the big Indiana
>distributor she works with that'll suit the event. Yellowtail of course
>I could do, but perhaps not at the price that you get at Sam's Club.
>
>> Spend the money saved on a better cut of beef for the meal.

>There will be no skimping on the food, either, as the foodies will
>outnumber even the wine geeks. I've got a $2500 budget for the wine and
>have to supply an estimated 300 guests at the reception.
>
>Mark Lipton

WOW, 300 foodie wine geeks! Mark, you certainly have your work cut out for
you. Don't know what is available in IN, but the Lindeman's Bin 65 Chard is
OK, and should be well within your price-point. My only complaint with that
wine, is that the second glass is never as good as the first. I can't do three
glasses of it.

As for OZ Shiraz, the afore mentioned P Lehman Barrosa is quite nice, and
maybe what you save on a wine like Y-T, or Bin 65, you can up the Shiraz
budget.

Just thinking here,
Hunt

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" wrote in

> There will be no skimping on the food, either, as the foodies will
> outnumber even the wine geeks. I've got a $2500 budget for the wine and
> have to supply an estimated 300 guests at the reception.

A way back when I was involved in the wine industry (other than my present
pastime which is purely consumption ;-) I used to calculate requirements
when catering for groups at somewhere between 1/2 & 2/3 bottle per person
(obviously some will drink none; some will consume substantially more than
others - but it is surprising how accurate that equation is)

If I take the latter figure, then you will need 200 bottles - which by my
calculation means you will have a budget of $12.50 - a not insignificant
difference when purchasing for a group who are not totally wine-ignorant.

As to the ratio bubbles vs chard vs SB vs red - you will never guestimate
this right but something like 40% bubbles (toasts etc) 35% chard & SB and
25% red would be how I would see things.

Thus I would say something like 7 cases of bubbles; 3 cases each of the SB &
chard and 4 cases of red.

That is how I would cater for a kiwi function of this size.

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton wrote:
> A friend of mine recently honored me (I think) with the request that I
> choose the wines to be served at her wedding reception. She wants to
> have a sparkling wine, a Sauvignon Blanc, a Chardonnay and an Aussie
> Shiraz. The constraint is the $10/bottle budget for them and their
> availability in Indiana. So far, I've got the sparkler (Gruet Brut) and
> the SB (Monkey Bay) but I'm really not very knowledgable about lower end
> Chardonnays* and Shiraz. Can anyone point me to examples they've liked
> recently?
>
> TIA,
> Mark Lipton

Here's a couple of my favorite inexpensive Chard's...

West Slope, Edna Ranch, Edna Valley
http://www.mounteden.com/ourwines/westslope.html

This is the 2nd tier wine from Mt. Eden - about $12 retail.

Kali Hart, Talbott Vineyards, Monterrey County
http://www.talbottvineyards.com/

This is a nice clean Chard - lightly oaked (I thought it was stainless
when I tasted it).
About $10 retail.

I don't know anything about how widely they're distributed. Good luck!

-John

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton wrote:
> A friend of mine recently honored me (I think) with the request that I
> choose the wines to be served at her wedding reception. She wants to
> have a sparkling wine, a Sauvignon Blanc, a Chardonnay and an Aussie
> Shiraz. The constraint is the $10/bottle budget for them and their
> availability in Indiana. So far, I've got the sparkler (Gruet Brut) and
> the SB (Monkey Bay) but I'm really not very knowledgable about lower end
> Chardonnays* and Shiraz. Can anyone point me to examples they've liked
> recently?
>
> TIA,
> Mark Lipton
>
> *I'm actually tempted to try and get either the '04 Brun Bourgogne Blanc
> or the '04 Brocard "Jurassique" 3L box (!!), but I dunno if local
> distributors can get either of them...

I like Wyndym Estate Bin 555 for Shiraz, but I don't remember whether a
bottle of it would be *quite* under $10. They also make a very nice
Cab-Merlot (Bin 888), but I realize that wasn't the question.

beeswing

Posted to alt.food.wine
PP PP is offline

Ed, what Sam's are you going to (just kidding)....the one in New Tampa
carries Grange, Insignia (sp), and a well rounded upper end $75-$200.
Paul
"Ed Rasimus" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 11:16:19 -0500, Mark Lipton >
> wrote:
>
>>DaleW wrote:
>>> Sometimes geeks have to suck it up. While I love the Brun white and
>>> both Brocard almost-Chablises (Kimmeridgien & Jurassique), the reality
>>> is probably the bride wants to find the comfort zone for the "gimme a
>>> glass of Chardonnay crowd", not to please the 4 to 6 people in the
>>> crowd who might care. I think you'd be better served for her wishes by
>>> picking a more typical CalChard. Maybe Tom S can give some ideas in
>>> this price range, or you'll have to sample yourself- Columbia Crest, RH
>>> Phillips, Cartlidge & Brown, Raymond have all been drinkable to me in
>>> past.

>>Spot on, Dale, though the bride is a bit of a wine geek too (she
>>actually drinks less CalChard than *I* do). My thinking was that a
>>crisper French Chard would likely please both crowds, but I readily
>>confess to not knowing the mindset of the "gimme a chard" crowd very
>>well. Thanks for the recommendations, BTW. I fully intend to sample
>>anything that I'd recommend to the bride.
>>
>>Mark Lipton

> I lean toward the group that suggests a wedding reception is not in
> the category of wine appreciators. What is needed is a wine that those
> who appreciate wine will say, "not bad" and those who simply and
> reflexively ask for a "glass of red" or "glass of white" will remark
> "this is good!"
>
> In that vein, I also agree with the Sam's suggestion---not Sam's in
> Chicago, the huge wine/liquor merchandiser, but Sam's as the
> membership buying club from Wal-Mart. They offer a small, but well
> chosen selection of wines ranging up to $50/bottle for some cabs and
> champers, but they also offer some excellent values in every-day
> quaffers.
>
> For the bulk consumption of the masses at a wedding reception, I'd
> look to the Yellowtail Chard and Shiraz. Sam's near me offers them in
> 1.5L bottles at about $10.50 per. (The same bottles at local grocery
> stores are $14.50, so you're near that desired price point but saving
> some bucks as well.)
>
> Spend the money saved on a better cut of beef for the meal.
>

> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
> "When Thunder Rolled"
> www.thunderchief.org
> www.thundertales.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.wine

I prefer Costco for wine quality and selection.

"PP" > wrote in message news:yvxEf.2635$6d.899@trnddc06...
> Ed, what Sam's are you going to (just kidding)....the one in New Tampa
> carries Grange, Insignia (sp), and a well rounded upper end $75-$200.
> Paul
> "Ed Rasimus" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 11:16:19 -0500, Mark Lipton >
>> wrote:

>>>Spot on, Dale, though the bride is a bit of a wine geek too (she
>>>actually drinks less CalChard than *I* do). My thinking was that a
>>>crisper French Chard would likely please both crowds, but I readily
>>>confess to not knowing the mindset of the "gimme a chard" crowd very
>>>well. Thanks for the recommendations, BTW. I fully intend to sample
>>>anything that I'd recommend to the bride.
>>>
>>>Mark Lipton

>> I lean toward the group that suggests a wedding reception is not in
>> the category of wine appreciators. What is needed is a wine that those
>> who appreciate wine will say, "not bad" and those who simply and
>> reflexively ask for a "glass of red" or "glass of white" will remark
>> "this is good!"
>>
>> In that vein, I also agree with the Sam's suggestion---not Sam's in
>> Chicago, the huge wine/liquor merchandiser, but Sam's as the
>> membership buying club from Wal-Mart. They offer a small, but well
>> chosen selection of wines ranging up to $50/bottle for some cabs and
>> champers, but they also offer some excellent values in every-day
>> quaffers.
>>
>> For the bulk consumption of the masses at a wedding reception, I'd
>> look to the Yellowtail Chard and Shiraz. Sam's near me offers them in
>> 1.5L bottles at about $10.50 per. (The same bottles at local grocery
>> stores are $14.50, so you're near that desired price point but saving
>> some bucks as well.)
>>
>> Spend the money saved on a better cut of beef for the meal.
>>

>> Ed Rasimus
>> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
>> "When Thunder Rolled"
>> www.thunderchief.org
>> www.thundertales.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.wine

wrote:

>DaleW wrote:
>> Sometimes geeks have to suck it up. While I love the Brun white and
>> both Brocard almost-Chablises (Kimmeridgien & Jurassique), the reality
>> is probably the bride wants to find the comfort zone for the "gimme a
>> glass of Chardonnay crowd", not to please the 4 to 6 people in the
>> crowd who might care. I think you'd be better served for her wishes by
>> picking a more typical CalChard. Maybe Tom S can give some ideas in
>> this price range, or you'll have to sample yourself- Columbia Crest, RH
>> Phillips, Cartlidge & Brown, Raymond have all been drinkable to me in
>> past.

>Spot on, Dale, though the bride is a bit of a wine geek too (she
>actually drinks less CalChard than *I* do). My thinking was that a
>crisper French Chard would likely please both crowds, but I readily
>confess to not knowing the mindset of the "gimme a chard" crowd very
>well. Thanks for the recommendations, BTW. I fully intend to sample
>anything that I'd recommend to the bride.
>
>Mark Lipton

If budget allows for the Lehman, you cannot go wrong. I would never
trade a Lindemans or Rosemount over a PL, in fact, any of the mass
produced wines from the big boys. As for Yellowtail.... well... no
comment..:>). Lehman has consistency, good fruit, and ages
excellently for a bottom end red. Did a vertical a few nights ago...
his 98's & 99's still drinking well. And with the quantity you need,
put the word on the retailer for a bottle of his Stonewell or Mentor
as a bonus...and plonk it on the bridal table!

Good luck.

Hooroo...,.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Drouhin Macon, 2004 for the Chard

3 Chards Bi!! Wine 2 18-01-2011 05:36 PM
Shiraz/Syrah Port Question J~ Wine 6 04-03-2005 02:17 PM
Question regarding New Eden Shiraz 2002 (Australian). Mat Wine 8 14-09-2004 07:58 AM
Shiraz - Wine Rookie Question PattyC Wine 42 23-04-2004 04:00 AM
Brokenwood Graveyard Shiraz 2000 / question about oxidation. Mr. Karim A.Ladha Wine 0 29-12-2003 05:27 AM