Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default A Few Chards with Dinner

On Apr 3, 2:36�pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> Last night with Chicken Picata (Giada's), roasted garlic couscous and
> grilled veggies I opened a couple of Chards.
>
> 1997 Latour Corton Charlemagne-Deep gold in color. *The nose showd a
> fair amount of raosted hazelnut and a touch of oak. *Quite rich on the
> palate with pear and golden delicious apple coming through a fairly
> opulent mouth feel. *Plenty going on and the wine has probably
> peaked. *No oxidized notes.
> A- on the Dale Scale.
>
> 2000 Domaine Laroche Chablis Les Blanchots-Pale shimmering gold in the
> glass. *Creamy lemon curd and exotic spices mixed with a thick
> minerality across the palate. *While a bit tight on the nose, it
> really opened up on the palate. *A on the Dale Scale
>
> 2002 Shafer Red Shoulders Ranch Chardonnay-While this is ususally one
> of my favorite California Chards, compared to the two French Burgs it
> was just too much of everything. *Fairly heavy aromas of oak and
> butter with some orange/lemon marmalade. *Ripe fruits pears, peaches
> and citrus fruits dominate leaving a mouthcoating heaviness that was
> almost cloying. *B on the Dale Scale.

If you asked me, I'd probably diss 1997 white Burgundies. But at the
upper end (BdM Corton-C, Leflaive and Jadot Batards, etc) there are
some stunning wines (if earlier maturing than some other vintages)

Thanks for the notes on the Laroche. I like the house, though I seldom
see anything but the regional level St Martin bottling.