Wine (alt.food.wine) Devoted to the discussion of wine and wine-related topics. A place to read and comment about wines, wine and food matching, storage systems, wine paraphernalia, etc. In general, any topic related to wine is valid fodder for the group.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2007, 08:15 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,554
Default TN: 4 inexpensive wines, all at least good (Loire, Rhone, NZ)

Saturday Betsy made these little individual shrimp-garlic casseroles;
while at Eastchester Seafood she had gotten us a half-dozen Kumamoto
oysters as an appetizer.I confess that I was only able to open 4 with
a knife, 2 of the little *******s looked like rocks and I couldn't
find a hinge for the life of me, so we ended up with 2 raw and 1
steamed each.

Wine was the 2001 Laffourcade Savennieres. Not a stellar vintage, not
a producer I know anything about, but how wrong are you going to go
with a $7 Savennieres? Good acidity (if maybe a little lower than I
expect for Savennieres), waxy/wooly Chenin notes, warm apple fruit.
Enjoyable if not exciting. Unusually for Chenin it doesn't hold up
well overnight, next evening lots of oxidative notes. But good value.
B

Sunday we went to a pre-Valentines Day party. Big bash, the primary
wines out were mags of Yellowtail (and probably no one but me cared).
I did sample a couple nicer wines:

2005 Discovery Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough)
Gooseberry and citrus, a bit of flinty minerality, someone cut the NZ
SB with a bit of Sancerre. Good. B

2005 Clos Roche Blanche Cabernet
Ripe sappy/juicy red fruit but with an acidic spine, a little green
pepper and uncured tobacco. Fun yet serious little wine, B+

We went home earlier than we would have liked, Betsy had 2 big dutch
ovens of "chicken bouillabaisse" (kind of a Provencal fricasee with
fennel, garlic, and a finishing dash of Pernod, with an aioli
accompaniment, from an Eric Ripert recipe). Betsy delivered one dutch
oven to a family with an ailing chef, then we had a nice family
dinner. In past I've found rosé is a good choice with this dish, but
apparently my still rosé supply is zero (I buy mostly in summer). So
I grabbed a white, the 2005 La Vieille Ferme Cotes du Rhone (am I
crazy, or isn't this usually labelled Cotes du Luberon?). Nice simple
white, maybe a touch dilute, with bright apple fruit, sufficient
acidity, clean finish. Some floral notes. Not complex but at $6.xx
certainly a fair value (and I seldom say that about Rhone whites). B/
B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.


  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2007, 09:17 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 85
Default TN: 4 inexpensive wines, all at least good (Loire, Rhone, NZ)

DaleW wrote:

So
I grabbed a white, the 2005 La Vieille Ferme Cotes du Rhone (am I
crazy, or isn't this usually labelled Cotes du Luberon?). Nice simple
white, maybe a touch dilute, with bright apple fruit, sufficient
acidity, clean finish. Some floral notes. Not complex but at $6.xx
certainly a fair value (and I seldom say that about Rhone whites). B/
B-

The red, at least, is a Cotes du Ventoux, but being a searching type I
checked out the website and find the white is a Cote du Luberon.
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2007, 10:41 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,554
Default TN: 4 inexpensive wines, all at least good (Loire, Rhone, NZ)

On Feb 12, 4:17�pm, Joseph Coulter wrote:
DaleW wrote:

* *So I grabbed a white, the 2005 La Vieille Ferme Cotes du Rhone (am I
crazy, or isn't this usually labelled Cotes du Luberon?). Nice simple
white, maybe a touch dilute, with bright apple fruit, sufficient
acidity, clean finish. Some floral notes. Not complex but at $6.xx
certainly a fair value (and I seldom say that about Rhone whites). B/
B-


The red, at least, is a Cotes du Ventoux, but being a searching type I
checked out the website and find the white is a Cote du Luberon.


That's what I remembered- red and rose Cotes du Ventoux, white Cotes
du Luberon. But the 2005 white is Cotes du Rhone AC I just got out
bottle to confirm.. 50% Grenache Blanc, 20% Viognier, 15% each
Marsanne & Rousanne, if anyone cares.

  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 13-02-2007, 12:21 AM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 85
Default TN: 4 inexpensive wines, all at least good (Loire, Rhone, NZ)

DaleW wrote:


That's what I remembered- red and rose Cotes du Ventoux, white Cotes
du Luberon. But the 2005 white is Cotes du Rhone AC I just got out
bottle to confirm.. 50% Grenache Blanc, 20% Viognier, 15% each
Marsanne & Rousanne, if anyone cares.


It sort of makes sense as they are headquartered in Orange.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TN: nice dinner with friends and some Loire, Rhone, and Bordeaux wines DaleW Wine 0 22-02-2013 08:59 PM
TN: bunch of French wines (Loire, Rhone, Burgundy, Beaujolais, etc) DaleW Wine 0 26-03-2012 08:50 PM
TN: Nahe, Loire, and Rhone- good values all DaleW Wine 2 23-11-2010 03:14 AM
TN: many wines, on patio and by river (Loire, Bojo, IT, Australia,Rhone, Burg) DaleW Wine 0 06-08-2009 02:47 PM
TN Tax wines cheapies (Rhone, Macon, and Loire) DaleW Wine 0 01-08-2007 04:54 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017