Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: many wines, on patio and by river (Loire, Bojo, IT, Australia,Rhone, Burg)

Tuesday we grilled scallops and shrimp (along with a couple sardines
for me), served over a lemon pasta, accompanied by a Caprese salad (a
few tomatoes beat the blight), and the 2004 Cazin "Cuvee Renaissance"
Cour-Cheverny. Maybe a bit more ripe/sweet than I hoped for the match,
but went well overall. Citrus, ripe apple, a little apricot. Good
length and mouthfeel. Excellent acidity. Maybe a half step behind the
96 and 02, but nice. B+

Wednesday is concert by the park night. At noon forecast was 50%
chance of thunderstorm- would it be moved inside (we skip rather than
go inside community center)? Some telephone tag with friends re
alternate plans, but suddenly about 5 it started to clear and
weather.com dropped chance of rain dramatically. Hurrah! Down to the
river, where breeze was blowing and everything was lovely. Nice trio
doing performances straight from transcriptions of classic jazz
(mostly Oscar Peterson trio stuff, from both 50s and 70s). Betsy had
made some delicious shrimp and herb summer rolls, Ron did grilled
chicken, Nancy hummus and salad, Dolores all the snacky stuff. Other
friends joined us at various times, and many wines were sampled:
*

Whites
2008 Brun/Terres Dorees Beaujolais Blanc
Clean apple fruit, good focus, medium full on palate, nice clean
Chardonnay. I recently saw posts that this was not a good vintage for
this wine, but just fine by me. B/B+

2007 Drouhin St Veran
In the clean Chard value sweepstakes, though, this edges the Brun.
Citrus and apple/pear fruit, rich fruit but with vivid acidity,
lively, I really like this at around $13. B+

Pinks
2008 Bisson "Ciliegiolo" (Golfo del Tigullio)
Dry and crisp, strawberries and blood oranges, good length, nice wine.
B+/B

2008 Ch. l'Ermitage rose
Suffers from following the Bisson. I think this was Rhone, though it's
sure not Hermitage! Cherries and strawberries, rather round, comes
across as a little hot (didn't check). OK, not great. B-/C+

NV Zucchi Lambrusco di Sorbara Rosato
Rose lambrusco is not common, but I enjoyed this last year, and again
this night. Strawberries and cranberries, a little sweetness but also
some nice contrasting bitterness. Popular all around, and first bottle
to be emptied. B

Red
2007 Heartland Stickleback Red (Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Dolcetto,
and Grenache- first time I've ever heard of Australian Dolcetto).
Sweet and soft style that isn't my favorite, but clean, well-done, and
without apparent oak. Screwcapped and cheap, one could do worse. C+

2007 Michel Tete Julienas
Fred had grabbed because it was named best value in yesterday's NYT
Cru Beaujolais tasting panel. It is a very nice wine, nimble yet not
really light, pleasant cherry fruit, straightforward, pleasing. I
don't think I like it as much as the 05 and 06, however. B

Fun night, we stayed way past concert, till it was completely dark.

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*

*