Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: 4 inexpensive wines, all at least good (Loire, Rhone, NZ)

Saturday Betsy made these little individual shrimp-garlic casseroles;
while at Eastchester Seafood she had gotten us a half-dozen Kumamoto
oysters as an appetizer.I confess that I was only able to open 4 with
a knife, 2 of the little *******s looked like rocks and I couldn't
find a hinge for the life of me, so we ended up with 2 raw and 1
steamed each.

Wine was the 2001 Laffourcade Savennieres. Not a stellar vintage, not
a producer I know anything about, but how wrong are you going to go
with a $7 Savennieres? Good acidity (if maybe a little lower than I
expect for Savennieres), waxy/wooly Chenin notes, warm apple fruit.
Enjoyable if not exciting. Unusually for Chenin it doesn't hold up
well overnight, next evening lots of oxidative notes. But good value.

Sunday we went to a pre-Valentines Day party. Big bash, the primary
wines out were mags of Yellowtail (and probably no one but me cared).
I did sample a couple nicer wines:

2005 Discovery Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough)
Gooseberry and citrus, a bit of flinty minerality, someone cut the NZ
SB with a bit of Sancerre. Good. B

2005 Clos Roche Blanche Cabernet
Ripe sappy/juicy red fruit but with an acidic spine, a little green
pepper and uncured tobacco. Fun yet serious little wine, B+

We went home earlier than we would have liked, Betsy had 2 big dutch
ovens of "chicken bouillabaisse" (kind of a Provencal fricasee with
fennel, garlic, and a finishing dash of Pernod, with an aioli
accompaniment, from an Eric Ripert recipe). Betsy delivered one dutch
oven to a family with an ailing chef, then we had a nice family
dinner. In past I've found rosé is a good choice with this dish, but
apparently my still rosé supply is zero (I buy mostly in summer). So
I grabbed a white, the 2005 La Vieille Ferme Cotes du Rhone (am I
crazy, or isn't this usually labelled Cotes du Luberon?). Nice simple
white, maybe a touch dilute, with bright apple fruit, sufficient
acidity, clean finish. Some floral notes. Not complex but at $6.xx
certainly a fair value (and I seldom say that about Rhone whites). B/
B-