Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Best Pinot Noir within $40?

Our wine group meets this Saturday. This month's theme is Pinot Noir. We
get around the $20 or less rule by having two people share the expense of a
bottle costing twice the price. What $40 Pinot Noir would most impress our
group? I was thinking of picking up something from Beaune, but wanted more
input. Any ideas? Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.wine

Beaune per se is ok, but there are village (AOC) nearby that are better -
Aloxe Corton, for one.

If you're in a California frame of mind, try the David Bruce Santa Cruz
Mountains PN. even better, but impossible to get, is their R-Bar-R PN.

> Our wine group meets this Saturday. This month's theme is Pinot Noir. We
> get around the $20 or less rule by having two people share the expense of
> a bottle costing twice the price. What $40 Pinot Noir would most impress
> our group? I was thinking of picking up something from Beaune, but wanted
> more input. Any ideas? Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.wine

Professor wrote:
> Our wine group meets this Saturday. This month's theme is Pinot Noir. We
> get around the $20 or less rule by having two people share the expense of a
> bottle costing twice the price. What $40 Pinot Noir would most impress our
> group? I was thinking of picking up something from Beaune, but wanted more
> input. Any ideas? Thanks!

I just got back from an area known for Pinot Noir in southern
California. Tasted quite a number of Pinot Noir. My two favorites were
these from Rideau and Cambria. I do not believe their better wines are
distributed outside the region. That was common with most of the
wineries visited.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Granted when it comes to Burgandy not much compares.

That said there are some excellent Oregon Pinots in that range:

Bergstrom-Willamette Valley
Chahalem Ridgecrest
Tori Mor
Patricia Green
Domaine Drouhin

Others as well. Good luck.

"Professor" > wrote in message
> Our wine group meets this Saturday. This month's theme is Pinot Noir. We
> get around the $20 or less rule by having two people share the expense of
> a bottle costing twice the price. What $40 Pinot Noir would most impress
> our group? I was thinking of picking up something from Beaune, but wanted
> more input. Any ideas? Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.wine

Richard Neidich wrote:

> That said there are some excellent Oregon Pinots in that range:
>
> Bergstrom-Willamette Valley

I forgot about Willamette Valley having some excellent Pinot Noir's.
One of my favorites is Witness Tree.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Professor wrote:
> Our wine group meets this Saturday. This month's theme is Pinot Noir. We
> get around the $20 or less rule by having two people share the expense of a
> bottle costing twice the price. What $40 Pinot Noir would most impress our
> group? I was thinking of picking up something from Beaune, but wanted more
> input. Any ideas? Thanks!

What to get would depend largely on the tastes of your group. What
makes Pinot Noir most special to me is the perfumed nose that you can
get in a well-aged Cote D'Or. If you're buying the bottle tomorrow,
though, that's not something you can get. So, if you're looking for
fruit and prettiness, I'd probably steer toward the New World rather
than Burgundy. If you do want a Burgundy for opening tomorrow, I'd get
a generic Bourgogne or a lighter commune such as Savigny-les-Beaune,
Chorey-les-Beaune, Mercurey, Marsannay or Fixin. I recently had a 2002
Méo-Camuzet Marsannay that was lovely. Alternatively, a Chevillon or
Lafarge Bourgogne from '04 ought to do nicely. For $40, you could even
get a Lafarge Volnay (not his 1ers, though). Other producers to look
for would be Denis Bachelet, Claude Marechal or Maurice Écard. If your
crowd is not as oak-averse as I am, other producers may be acceptable, too.

For an under-$40 New World Pinot Noir, I'd try Domaine Drouhin's 2003 (a
hot year) a Saintsbury Carneros ($ left over) or a Gary Farrell RRV
bottling. All of those wines are made in a more forward style and
aren't overly oaky.

HTH
Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

A lot depends on palate of your group. If big fruit is paramount, then
maybe CA. If not, maybe Burgundy. Oregon is kind of in between.

Burgundy
If you decide to go with Beaune, the Jadot's 1ers are usually good
values. The Ursules probably top $40 (as does Drouhin's baby Jesus and
Lafarge's Greves) , but the Boucherottes, Couacheaux, etc are $30 or
so. Usually more forward.
Outside Beaune, Pavelot's Savigny 1ers are another set that drink well
young.
You might try Bourgogne rouge from deVillaine, Lafarge, Roumier,
Barthod. Santenay from Denis Clair, Joblot's Givry.

It's tough to recommend not knowing availability in your market. You
might look at a good wine store for Burgundy recommendations from 2000.
Uneven vintage, but some very good early drinking wines. 2003 drinks
early too, but quality is even more uneven.

Oregon
Others probably have more knowledge here, but I like the wines of DDO,
Belle Pente & St Innocent. I also liked J. Christopher recently. My
impression is that 2003 is a more forward vintage, but little to base
that on.

California
I like Copain, Saintsbury, Arcadian, Littorai. But latter two are
probably now mostly over $40. The 05 Copain Autumn bottling is fine for
$20, if you don't split with someone. Walter Hansel makes some nice
early drinkers. Kosta Brown USED to be under $40, but scores have sent
it to stratosphere. Some Siduris and Lorings are under $40, in the big
fruit style.

Hard to be more specific without knowing what you can buy.

Professor wrote:
> Our wine group meets this Saturday. This month's theme is Pinot Noir. We
> get around the $20 or less rule by having two people share the expense of a
> bottle costing twice the price. What $40 Pinot Noir would most impress our
> group? I was thinking of picking up something from Beaune, but wanted more
> input. Any ideas? Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>A lot depends on palate of your group. If big fruit is paramount, then
> maybe CA. If not, maybe Burgundy. Oregon is kind of in between.
>
> Burgundy
> If you decide to go with Beaune, the Jadot's 1ers are usually good
> values. The Ursules probably top $40 (as does Drouhin's baby Jesus and
> Lafarge's Greves) , but the Boucherottes, Couacheaux, etc are $30 or
> so. Usually more forward.
> Outside Beaune, Pavelot's Savigny 1ers are another set that drink well
> young.
> You might try Bourgogne rouge from deVillaine, Lafarge, Roumier,
> Barthod. Santenay from Denis Clair, Joblot's Givry.
>
> It's tough to recommend not knowing availability in your market. You
> might look at a good wine store for Burgundy recommendations from 2000.
> Uneven vintage, but some very good early drinking wines. 2003 drinks
> early too, but quality is even more uneven.
>
> Oregon
> Others probably have more knowledge here, but I like the wines of DDO,
> Belle Pente & St Innocent. I also liked J. Christopher recently. My
> impression is that 2003 is a more forward vintage, but little to base
> that on.
>
> California
> I like Copain, Saintsbury, Arcadian, Littorai. But latter two are
> probably now mostly over $40. The 05 Copain Autumn bottling is fine for
> $20, if you don't split with someone. Walter Hansel makes some nice
> early drinkers. Kosta Brown USED to be under $40, but scores have sent
> it to stratosphere. Some Siduris and Lorings are under $40, in the big
> fruit style.
>
> Hard to be more specific without knowing what you can buy.
>
> Professor wrote:
>> Our wine group meets this Saturday. This month's theme is Pinot Noir.
>> We
>> get around the $20 or less rule by having two people share the expense of
>> bottle costing twice the price. What $40 Pinot Noir would most impress
>> our
>> group? I was thinking of picking up something from Beaune, but wanted
>> more
>> input. Any ideas? Thanks!

We reside in the Boston area so it seem like we pay a little less than the
rest of the US for European wines but a little more for wines coming from
the west coast. Thanks for everyone's response. I've cut and pasted
everyone's recommendations onto one page which I'll take with me when
shopping. I'll let you know which one I buy, which wine our group likes
best and all the other wines too. Cheers.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Look forward to report. Interesting re pricing. Other than Table & Vine
(great store which won't ship to NY), I've generally found MA prices
high. I was on Martys-Allston list for a while when Josh Wertlieb was
there, never found one thing I thought was a good price!
Any stores I should check if I'm in area?

Posted to alt.food.wine

Professor wrote:
> Our wine group meets this Saturday. This month's theme is Pinot Noir. We
> get around the $20 or less rule by having two people share the expense of a
> bottle costing twice the price. What $40 Pinot Noir would most impress our
> group? I was thinking of picking up something from Beaune, but wanted more
> input. Any ideas? Thanks!

(Runs fist through wall...................)

I like Shell gasoline. What kind of car should I buy to run on it?

Posted to alt.food.wine

"UC" > skrev i melding
ups.com...

> (Runs fist through wall...................)
>
> I like Shell gasoline. What kind of car should I buy to run on it?

Ferrari Testarossa, of course, certainly no F____ Renault!
Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

Anders Tørneskog wrote:
> "UC" > skrev i melding
> ups.com...
> >
> > (Runs fist through wall...................)
> >
> > I like Shell gasoline. What kind of car should I buy to run on it?
> >

> Ferrari Testarossa, of course, certainly no F____ Renault!
> Anders

Si!

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Look forward to report. Interesting re pricing. Other than Table & Vine
> (great store which won't ship to NY), I've generally found MA prices
> high. I was on Martys-Allston list for a while when Josh Wertlieb was
> there, never found one thing I thought was a good price!
> Any stores I should check if I'm in area?

I knew Josh. In the Boston area I have my list of usual suspects. Mall
Discount in Cambridge buys ends of shipments so they frequently have great
prices. Brookline Liquor Mart keeps a large selection of better wines.
Martignetti's and Marty's tend to keep a good selection as well. The Wine
Cask in Somerville specializes in Italian, Spanish and Portugese wines.
Back Bay Wine and Spirits in Boston sells many high end wines. Gordon's
in Waltham keeps a big selection of Piedmonts as the Piedmontese Restaurant
Il Capreccio is next door.

I actually buy the vast majority of my wines via the internet.

Posted to alt.food.wine

> I forgot about Willamette Valley having some excellent Pinot Noir's.
> One of my favorites is Witness Tree.

That's almost like forgetting that France makes wine.

Almost... funny.

Cheers,

David

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> A lot depends on palate of your group. If big fruit is paramount, then
> maybe CA. If not, maybe Burgundy. Oregon is kind of in between.

I think you've been stuck in limbo too long.

> Oregon
> Others probably have more knowledge here, but I like the wines of DDO,
> Belle Pente & St Innocent. I also liked J. Christopher recently. My
> impression is that 2003 is a more forward vintage, but little to base
> that on.

Why do outsiders always recommend the flagship labels? Could it be that
you've just not had much experience tasting the range?

For under $20/bottle, namely $16-18 range, Try a 2005 AtoZ Pinot Noir.
A little young, but big bold red fruit, no bulls*** acid you get from
similar vintage wines (namely, a pH of 3.75 does the trick). Nice
pairing with any type of beef, pork, chicken, turkey, even smoked ham.

If you want a little spendier, try Owen Roe's Sharecropper's Pinot
Noir. Unfiltered. Maybe $20/bottle, depending on the shop. Simply
amazing. Bold fruit, not too heavy. Low acid, balanced tannins and oak.
A definite "flavorite" for those who like a Pinot with balls.

In the $25-$30 range, try a Beran 03'-04'. Amazing fruit and balance.
Letting it breathe opens up the spice and oak, but you still end up
with an amazing glass no matter, whether fresh from opening or after
1hr. breathing.

In the $30-$40 range, you might actually consider a... wait. Never had
a need to spend more than $30 for a great Oregon Pinot Noir...

On the opposite end, if you want a decent "table wine" quality at $6-7,
you could always get a Pepperwood Grove (Chilean).

There's plenty of good wines out there. I'd simply caution you against
blowing $40 on a P.N. when there are so many good (and affordable)
options available.

Cheers,

David

Posted to alt.food.wine

UC wrote:
> Professor wrote:
> > Our wine group meets this Saturday. This month's theme is Pinot Noir. We
> > get around the $20 or less rule by having two people share the expense of a
> > bottle costing twice the price. What $40 Pinot Noir would most impress our
> > group? I was thinking of picking up something from Beaune, but wanted more
> > input. Any ideas? Thanks!

> (Runs fist through wall...................)
>
> I like Shell gasoline. What kind of car should I buy to run on it?

I'd recommend the California Pinot Noir. It tastes almost as good as
Shell.

David

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 06:03:16 GMT
"Professor" > wrote:

> "DaleW" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Look forward to report. Interesting re pricing. Other than Table & Vine
> > (great store which won't ship to NY), I've generally found MA prices
> > high. I was on Martys-Allston list for a while when Josh Wertlieb was
> > there, never found one thing I thought was a good price!
> > Any stores I should check if I'm in area?

> I knew Josh. In the Boston area I have my list of usual suspects. Mall
> Discount in Cambridge buys ends of shipments so they frequently have great
> prices. Brookline Liquor Mart keeps a large selection of better wines.
> Martignetti's and Marty's tend to keep a good selection as well. The Wine
> Cask in Somerville specializes in Italian, Spanish and Portugese wines.
> Back Bay Wine and Spirits in Boston sells many high end wines. Gordon's
> in Waltham keeps a big selection of Piedmonts as the Piedmontese Restaurant
> Il Capreccio is next door.

Is Seline (sp) in Waltham still in business?

Back in my day, Brookline Liquor Mart was _the_ place. Quite high end and
they had some unusual things. I remember when Macy's became Marty's,
they were always playing catch up to BLM. Logically enough Marty's Newton
had a far better selection than Marty's Allston; I lived in Watertown about
equidistant from the two.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine

In message >
"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote:

> "UC" > skrev i melding
> ups.com...
>>
>> (Runs fist through wall...................)
>>
>> I like Shell gasoline. What kind of car should I buy to run on it?
>>

> Ferrari Testarossa, of course, certainly no F____ Renault!
> Anders

What is a Ferrari Testarossa - is it short for TestaroneTossa?

Tim
Posted to alt.food.wine

Professor wrote:
> Our wine group meets this Saturday. This month's theme is Pinot Noir. We
> get around the $20 or less rule by having two people share the expense of a
> bottle costing twice the price. What $40 Pinot Noir would most impress our
> group? I was thinking of picking up something from Beaune, but wanted more
> input. Any ideas? Thanks!

Why do you categorize wines as 'best'? Why not just 'different'?

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Emery Davis" > wrote in message
> "Professor" > wrote:
>> "DaleW" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > Look forward to report. Interesting re pricing. Other than Table & Vine
>> > (great store which won't ship to NY), I've generally found MA prices
>> > high. I was on Martys-Allston list for a while when Josh Wertlieb was
>> > there, never found one thing I thought was a good price!
>> > Any stores I should check if I'm in area?

>> I knew Josh. In the Boston area I have my list of usual suspects. Mall
>> Discount in Cambridge buys ends of shipments so they frequently have
>> great
>> prices. Brookline Liquor Mart keeps a large selection of better wines.
>> Martignetti's and Marty's tend to keep a good selection as well. The
>> Wine
>> Cask in Somerville specializes in Italian, Spanish and Portugese wines.
>> Back Bay Wine and Spirits in Boston sells many high end wines. Gordon's
>> in Waltham keeps a big selection of Piedmonts as the Piedmontese
>> Restaurant
>> Il Capreccio is next door.
>>

> Is Seline (sp) in Waltham still in business?
> Back in my day, Brookline Liquor Mart was _the_ place. Quite high end and
> they had some unusual things. I remember when Macy's became Marty's,
> they were always playing catch up to BLM. Logically enough Marty's Newton
> had a far better selection than Marty's Allston; I lived in Watertown
> about
> equidistant from the two.
>
> -E

Yes Seline is still there, but I haven't been particularly impressed with
their prices or selection. Brookline Liquor Mart is still considered the
best, but not the best prices I've found. I reside very near your former
address.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"UC" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Professor wrote:
>> Our wine group meets this Saturday. This month's theme is Pinot Noir.
>> We
>> get around the $20 or less rule by having two people share the expense of
>> bottle costing twice the price. What $40 Pinot Noir would most impress
>> our
>> group? I was thinking of picking up something from Beaune, but wanted
>> more
>> input. Any ideas? Thanks!

> Why do you categorize wines as 'best'? Why not just 'different'?

I didn't say best, but how about most popular? Your inability to converse
about wines outside Italy makes you intellectually half-blind. I get the
sense you're already too old to ever achieve wisdom.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Professor wrote:
> "UC" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Professor wrote:
> >> Our wine group meets this Saturday. This month's theme is Pinot Noir.
> >> We
> >> get around the $20 or less rule by having two people share the expense of
> >> bottle costing twice the price. What $40 Pinot Noir would most impress
> >> our
> >> group? I was thinking of picking up something from Beaune, but wanted
> >> more
> >> input. Any ideas? Thanks!

> > Why do you categorize wines as 'best'? Why not just 'different'?

> I didn't say best, but how about most popular?

Yes, you did:

"Best Pinot Noir within $40?" is the title of the thread.

Your inability to converse
> about wines outside Italy makes you intellectually half-blind. I get the
> sense you're already too old to ever achieve wisdom.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"UC" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Professor wrote:
>> > Why do you categorize wines as 'best'? Why not just 'different'?

>> I didn't say best, but how about most popular?

> Yes, you did:
>
> "Best Pinot Noir within $40?" is the title of the thread.

Fine, I stand corrected. Until you broaden you wine interest to include
even the F country you'll never be able to fully participate in our reindeer
games.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Professor wrote:
> "UC" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >>
> >> I didn't say best, but how about most popular?

> > Yes, you did:
> >
> > "Best Pinot Noir within $40?" is the title of the thread.

> Fine, I stand corrected. Until you broaden you wine interest to include
> even the F country you'll never be able to fully participate in our reindeer
> games.

I wish to extend to everyone in the world my warm wishes for the
holidays....
except F_____.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 17:11:17 GMT
"Professor" > wrote:

> Yes Seline is still there, but I haven't been particularly impressed with
> their prices or selection. Brookline Liquor Mart is still considered the
> best, but not the best prices I've found. I reside very near your former
> address.

We lived near the Belmont line in the Oakley Country Club neighborhood.
I must say that in spite of many miles under the bridge it was a very
pleasant place to live. So, as we sometimes say on this side: good on you!

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom
by removing the well known companies

Posted to alt.food.wine

Professor wrote:
> "UC" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >>
> >> I didn't say best, but how about most popular?

> > Yes, you did:
> >
> > "Best Pinot Noir within $40?" is the title of the thread.

> Fine, I stand corrected. Until you broaden you wine interest to include
> even the F country you'll never be able to fully participate in our reindeer
> games.

I wish to extend to everyone in the world my warm wishes for the
holidays....
except F_____.

Posted to alt.food.wine

There is a new Latvian-Norwegian sedan car called the Putz that gets 57 mpg.
If you add rutabaga mileage goes up to 86 mpg---Shell has oil reserves in
the Arabia rated 97 in gasoline Spectator but its unavailable in most
markets.
"UC" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Professor wrote:
> > Our wine group meets this Saturday. This month's theme is Pinot Noir.

We
> > get around the $20 or less rule by having two people share the expense

of a
> > bottle costing twice the price. What $40 Pinot Noir would most impress

our
> > group? I was thinking of picking up something from Beaune, but wanted

more
> > input. Any ideas? Thanks!

> (Runs fist through wall...................)
>
> I like Shell gasoline. What kind of car should I buy to run on it?

Posted to alt.food.wine

I met Josh Wertlieb a few years ago, 2002 at a dinner put together by Ron
Kramer--I thought he was on the restaurant side of the biz.

I brokered a deal with Marty's about 7 years ago---Ch S Cotes du
rhone---they ordered a pallette (56 cases) but I had to cut my commission in
half---when the time came for them to pay-they stalled so I asked what price
they were selling the CDR for it was about 70% over their cost on the
original price. Finally they paid after much prodding with the French
broker I shared a commission with. At that point I asked about a new order,
they let me know they just ordered 112 cases from the French broker who
called or faxed me every few days about late payment. It took a few seconds
to realize, I'd been cut out---I understand the price on Marty's shelf
stayed the same. They probably cut the French broker out when they placed
their 3rd order, but by then I had fled the business!

"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Look forward to report. Interesting re pricing. Other than Table & Vine
> (great store which won't ship to NY), I've generally found MA prices
> high. I was on Martys-Allston list for a while when Josh Wertlieb was
> there, never found one thing I thought was a good price!
> Any stores I should check if I'm in area?

Posted to alt.food.wine

Joe "Beppe"Rosenberg wrote:
> There is a new Latvian-Norwegian sedan car called the Putz that gets 57 mpg.
> If you add rutabaga mileage goes up to 86 mpg---Shell has oil reserves in
> the Arabia rated 97 in gasoline Spectator but its unavailable in most
> markets.

Reviewed by Robert Park Car?

> "UC" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Professor wrote:
> > > Our wine group meets this Saturday. This month's theme is Pinot Noir.

> We
> > > get around the $20 or less rule by having two people share the expense

> of a
> > > bottle costing twice the price. What $40 Pinot Noir would most impress

> our
> > > group? I was thinking of picking up something from Beaune, but wanted

> more
> > > input. Any ideas? Thanks!

> > (Runs fist through wall...................)
> >
> > I like Shell gasoline. What kind of car should I buy to run on it?

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Dave" > wrote in
ups.com:

>> I forgot about Willamette Valley having some excellent Pinot Noir's.
>> One of my favorites is Witness Tree.

> That's almost like forgetting that France makes wine.
>
> Almost... funny.

<channeling UC> F_____ does *not* make wine. Just some fermented grape
swill they have the nerve to call wine. </channeling UC>

> Cheers,
>
> David

Posted to alt.food.wine

Jim Lovejoy wrote:
> "Dave" > wrote in
> ups.com:
>
> >> I forgot about Willamette Valley having some excellent Pinot Noir's.
> >> One of my favorites is Witness Tree.

> > That's almost like forgetting that France makes wine.
> >
> > Almost... funny.

> <channeling UC> F_____ does *not* make wine. Just some fermented grape
> swill they have the nerve to call wine. </channeling UC>

You rang, Sir?

> > Cheers,
> >
> > David

Posted to alt.food.wine

Dave wrote:
>> I forgot about Willamette Valley having some excellent Pinot Noir's.
>> One of my favorites is Witness Tree.

> That's almost like forgetting that France makes wine.

lol, perhaps but I'm far more familiar with California wine growing
regions and have never visited Oregon. Most of the Pinot Noirs in the
stores here are from the southern California area between Santa Barbara
and Santa Maria. One of these years I'll take a trip up to Willamette
Valley region.

Pinot Noir aesthete8 Wine 6 11-12-2010 04:48 PM
TN Pinot Noir SFWS John T Wine 12 12-10-2007 09:56 PM
Pinot Noir Mike Winemaking 9 11-09-2004 12:45 AM
Pinot Noir ernie Winemaking 4 10-04-2004 10:08 PM
TN: Rex Goliath Pinot Noir Dale Williams Wine 8 03-04-2004 06:21 PM