Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Pinot Noir SFWS

Notes from last nights tasting at my house.

All blind as normal.

SOLIHULL FINE WINE SOCIETY 9th. OCTOBER 2007

Pinot Noir at Weston Close

1) Amisfield, Otago, 2005. Personal
Import

http://www.amisfield.co.nz/

Deep red, bright, viscous, a damson and raspberry nose, good entry and
balance, a little coarse at the end

2) Chapeldown, Kent, 2005 At the door,
£12.99

Almost a deep rose, simple pinot nose, jam and pepper, soft fruit, a summer
wine. Not bad for the UK

3) Bourgorgne Rouge, Lecheneaut, 2003 Ballantynes £8

Pale brick, wonderful, ****pot pinot, vegetal, elegant, wonderful balance,
spicy fruit, long. My 2nd WOTN. ( we have drunk this over the last 6 months
and it has never failed to impress, I have two cases of the 2005 on order)

4) Pommard Clos de Lambots Girardin 1996 £25

Sparklimg and bright, no age. gentle raspberry nose with some cinnamon.
Pity, drying out on the palate with little fruit, over the hill

5) Nuit S Georges, Les Vancrains, Gouges 1996 £25

Brick red with no age, a classic pinot nose, complex fruit and spice, soft
entry and a little austere. will it improve? Mixed opinions round the table
on this one.

6) Clos Vougeot, Rene Engel, 1996 £30

Badly corked

************************************************** *******************

7) Felton Road Otago 2005 WS £19

Deep brick, a wonderful classic nose, quite scented, a wonderful balance
and complexity, finished very long. A draw for WOTN

8) Gevrey-Chambertin, Aux Combottes, Dujac WS £49

2000

Pale brick, no age, an ethereal complex vegetal nose, reflected in its soft
fruit and balance, this is what good burgundy is all about. Shares WOTN with
the Felton Road which many thought was a premier cru burg.

9) Ocio, Cono Sur, Chile 2005 WS £ 30

Portlike, huge extract, is this syrah?, everyone thought this was a ringer
despite my reassurances. A very strange nose, fruit++ spice++, massive fruit
on entry,and tannins. a big wine but atypical.

Well the NZ are giving the Frogs a run for their money, makes up for last
Saturday,
--
John T

Posted to alt.food.wine

sorry about font and layout, wrong button pressed!!!!

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 10, 7:00�am, "John T" > wrote:
> Notes from last nights tasting at my house.
>
> All blind as normal.
>
> SOLIHULL FINE WINE SOCIETY 9th. OCTOBER 2007
>
> Pinot Noir at Weston Close
>
> 1) Amisfield, Otago, 2005. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Personal
> Import
>
> http://www.amisfield.co.nz/
>
> Deep red, bright, viscous, a damson and raspberry nose, good entry and
> balance, a little coarse at the end
>
> 2) Chapeldown, Kent, 2005 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * At the door,
> £12.99
>
> Almost a deep rose, simple pinot nose, jam and pepper, soft fruit, a summer
> wine. Not bad for the UK
>
> 3) Bourgorgne Rouge, Lecheneaut, 2003 * * * * * * *Ballantynes * £8
>
> Pale brick, wonderful, ****pot pinot, vegetal, elegant, wonderful balance,
> spicy fruit, long. My 2nd WOTN. ( we have drunk this over the last 6 months
> and it has never failed to impress, I have two cases of the 2005 on order)
>
> 4) *Pommard Clos de Lambots Girardin 1996 * * * *£25
>
> Sparklimg and bright, no age. gentle raspberry nose with some cinnamon.
> Pity, drying out on the palate with little fruit, over the hill
>
> 5) *Nuit S Georges, Les Vancrains, Gouges 1996 * * £25
>
> Brick red with no age, a classic pinot nose, complex fruit and spice, soft
> entry and a little austere. will it improve? Mixed opinions round the table
> on this one.
>
> 6) *Clos Vougeot, Rene Engel, 1996 * * * * * * * * * * * * * £30
>
> Badly corked
>
> ************************************************** *******************
>
> 7) Felton Road Otago 2005 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * WS £19
>
> *Deep brick, a wonderful classic nose, quite scented, a wonderful balance
> and complexity, finished very long. A draw for WOTN
>
> 8) Gevrey-Chambertin, Aux Combottes, Dujac * * WS £49
>
> 2000
>
> *Pale brick, no age, an ethereal complex vegetal nose, reflected in its soft
> fruit and balance, this is what good burgundy is all about. Shares WOTN with
> the Felton Road which many thought was a premier cru burg.
>
> 9) Ocio, Cono Sur, Chile 2005 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * WS £ 30
>
> *Portlike, huge extract, is this syrah?, everyone thought this was a ringer
> despite my reassurances. A very strange nose, fruit++ spice++, massive fruit
> on entry,and tannins. a big wine but atypical.
>
> ************************************************** ******************
>
> Well the NZ are giving the Frogs a run for their money, makes up for last
> Saturday,
> --
> John T

Thanks for the notes. I think 2000 is an underrated Burg vintage- not
one for the ages, but good short to medium term. And Dujac is great
(and distinctive).
Think its a rough time to open bigger '96s like the Gouges.
Nice notes on the NZs. We don't often get the same NZ PNs here, but I
have liked Felton Road in past.
Great notes

Posted to alt.food.wine

John T wrote:

> 7) Felton Road Otago 2005 WS £19

Very interesting notes, John. Thanks! It's quite a fine showing for
the Felton Road to vie with the '00 Dujac for WOTN honors. Did you note
down any other information from the label? They produce several
different "block" designates IIRC.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 10, 8:36 am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Oct 10, 7:00?am, "John T" > wrote:
>

> > Notes from last nights tasting at my house.

> > All blind as normal.

> > SOLIHULL FINE WINE SOCIETY 9th. OCTOBER 2007

> > Pinot Noir at Weston Close

> > 1) Amisfield, Otago, 2005. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Personal
> > Import

> >http://www.amisfield.co.nz/

> > Deep red, bright, viscous, a damson and raspberry nose, good entry and
> > balance, a little coarse at the end

> > 2) Chapeldown, Kent, 2005 ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? At the door,
> > ?12.99

> > Almost a deep rose, simple pinot nose, jam and pepper, soft fruit, a summer
> > wine. Not bad for the UK

> > 3) Bourgorgne Rouge, Lecheneaut, 2003 ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Ballantynes ? ?8

> > Pale brick, wonderful, ****pot pinot, vegetal, elegant, wonderful balance,
> > spicy fruit, long. My 2nd WOTN. ( we have drunk this over the last 6 months
> > and it has never failed to impress, I have two cases of the 2005 on order)

> > 4) ?Pommard Clos de Lambots Girardin 1996 ? ? ? ??25

> > Sparklimg and bright, no age. gentle raspberry nose with some cinnamon.
> > Pity, drying out on the palate with little fruit, over the hill

> > 5) ?Nuit S Georges, Les Vancrains, Gouges 1996 ? ? ?25

> > Brick red with no age, a classic pinot nose, complex fruit and spice, soft
> > entry and a little austere. will it improve? Mixed opinions round the table
> > on this one.

> > 6) ?Clos Vougeot, Rene Engel, 1996 ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?30

> > Badly corked

> > ************************************************** *******************

> > 7) Felton Road Otago 2005 ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? WS ?19

> > ?Deep brick, a wonderful classic nose, quite scented, a wonderful balance
> > and complexity, finished very long. A draw for WOTN

> > 8) Gevrey-Chambertin, Aux Combottes, Dujac ? ? WS ?49

> > 2000

> > ?Pale brick, no age, an ethereal complex vegetal nose, reflected in its soft
> > fruit and balance, this is what good burgundy is all about. Shares WOTN with
> > the Felton Road which many thought was a premier cru burg.

> > 9) Ocio, Cono Sur, Chile 2005 ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? WS ? 30

> > ?Portlike, huge extract, is this syrah?, everyone thought this was a ringer
> > despite my reassurances. A very strange nose, fruit++ spice++, massive fruit
> > on entry,and tannins. a big wine but atypical.

> > ************************************************** ******************

> > Well the NZ are giving the Frogs a run for their money, makes up for last
> > Saturday,
> > --
> > John T

> Thanks for the notes. I think 2000 is an underrated Burg vintage- not
> one for the ages, but good short to medium term. And Dujac is great
> (and distinctive).

As with any year, the quality of Burgundy ranges greatly in 1990
because of variatlions in microclimates, and quality of care in
growing the grapes and making the wines. Many of the top Burgundy
wines of 1990 have been highly rated by many critics who know Burgundy
well, such as Coates and Broadbent. Some of the top 1988 Burgundy
wines also have been highly rated, but they often are of a style that
requires more aging than the 1990s to resolve the considerable tannins
they often have. I can remember the young 1959s, many of which were
very easy to drink when relatively young but still only a shadow of
what they became with long aging as they developed secondary aromas
and tastes. Many top 1959s, including La Tache, are still very good. I
would guess the better 1990s will still be decent to serve at a wake
for most of us. On the other hand, 1988s might be a better choice for
leaving for children and grandchildren.

According to Decanter, a single bottle of 1990 Romanee-Conti sold for
4725 UK Pounds at a Christies auction. A case of Georges and Henri
Jayer's 1990 Echezeaux brought 10687 Pounds. Of the DRC wines, some of
the 1990s are more desired and expensive than some of the
corresponding 1988s and vv. Of the best top Burgundy now at , or near
peak, 1985 and 1978 often seem to be the best, and unfortunately the
price reflects this. The 1978 Romanee-Conti now goes for about 32992
UK Pounds per case at auction, while the 1985 costs about 34100. The
1978 La Tache goes for about 21850 while the 1985 sells for about
14375. These auction prices come from a recent issue of Decanter. The
top Burgundy from Leroy is not tracked in Decanter, but it sometimes
is better, lasts longer, and is more expensive than the wines of DRC.
Both DRC and Leroy are more willing to take risks than most, and they
are likely to leave the grapes on the vine to ripen more in less ideal
years, etc. The small vineyards of their top grapes can be very
rapidly harvested in the case of a turn in the weather for the worst.
A very few other growers take such good care of their grapes and will
take considerable risks in less ripe years, but most can not afford to
do so.

I always remember the 1959 and 1961 Bordeauxs. Early on, many rated
the 1959s as superior to the 1961s, many of which were quite tannic
and harsh when young. In the short term, for those who drank their
wine before it was mature, they were right. Then in a few years, the
1961s often were rated higher. Some, as was usual back then, managed
to make poor wine in both years. However today the finer wines of 1961
perhaps are better than the finer wines of 1959 on average, although
there are many exceptions. Many would select 1959 Lafite over 1961
Lafite, for example.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" wrote ..........

> Felton Road Otago 2005
> Very interesting notes, John. Thanks! It's quite a fine showing
> for the Felton Road to vie with the '00 Dujac for WOTN honors.
> Did you note down any other information from the label?
>
> They produce several different "block" designates IIRC.

Hi Mark, John

Felton Road produce three PNs.

Block 3 and Block 5 are essentially "single vineyard' wines - although they
are really different clones grown in separate blocks, in the same (Elms)
vineyard in Bannockburn, Central Otago which was planted in 1992.

The third wine, designated simply Felton Road Pinot Noir, may be from
several plantings in their vineyards, and may be slightly less expensive,
but don't think that is a lesser wine.

IMHO, all three rate among the best of the Central Otago Pinots.

Interesting web site - http://www.feltonroad.com/

(Mark, I will not let you miss Central Otago next visit !)

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

> Block 3 and Block 5 are essentially "single vineyard' wines - although
> they are really different clones grown in separate blocks, in the same
> (Elms) vineyard in Bannockburn, Central Otago which was planted in 1992.
>
> The third wine, designated simply Felton Road Pinot Noir, may be from
> several plantings in their vineyards, and may be slightly less expensive,
> but don't think that is a lesser wine.

My brother in law swears by the "block" wines.

I have had Felton Road pinots many times and am always impressed by their
complexity.

OT, St Helier, the NZ are giving ref Barnes a hard time...........sour
grapes comes to mind. My b-in-law sent me an e-mail listing the refs faults.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"John T" wrote ...........

> My brother in law swears by the "block" wines.
>
> I have had Felton Road pinots many times and am always impressed by their
> complexity.

JT - the Block 3/5 wines are probably a little more "serious" and would
benefit for an extra year or two in the bottle - but, frankly, all three
are quite superb.

> OT, St Helier, the NZ are giving ref Barnes a hard time...........sour
> grapes comes to mind. My b-in-law sent me an e-mail listing the refs
> faults.

[OT - Rugby Rant] John, I am over it - yes, Barnes got tired and probably
would like to have that second half of the game over again.

BUT, the ABs f*****d up! We lacked a captain who could take control; the
strategy to work the ball into the middle of the paddock and the backs to
pepper the posts with dropped goals - the overall stats don't lie - we
blew it - all credit to the tricolours.

I shall now be content to be the disinterested bystander this weekend.

Good Luck England
Good Luck France
Good Luck South Africa
ARGENTINA TO WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to alt.food.wine

Totally OT

> ARGENTINA TO WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best result for the future of world rugby IMHO

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Pinot Noir SFWS/ Bordeaux

On 2007-10-10 10:52:34 -0700, cwdjrxyz > said:
> I always remember the 1959 and 1961 Bordeauxs. Early on, many rated
> the 1959s as superior to the 1961s, many of which were quite tannic
> and harsh when young.

As you seem to have some experience with those vintages, I wonder if
you might have an opinion about the '59 Ch. La Mission Haut Brion. I
was unfortunate enough, (sad, I know,) to have inherited 4 bottles (in
the original case, no less) a couple of years ago. They look to be in
good shape and I am looking forward to opening them. As I have no
experience with this vintage or this chateau, Maybe you have some
memories that will enrich my/our experience when we do open them. I
will, of course, offer tasting notes when they do go the way of all
bottles...

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 11, 6:31 pm, Ronin > wrote:
> On 2007-10-10 10:52:34 -0700, cwdjrxyz > said:
>
> > I always remember the 1959 and 1961 Bordeauxs. Early on, many rated
> > the 1959s as superior to the 1961s, many of which were quite tannic
> > and harsh when young.

> As you seem to have some experience with those vintages, I wonder if
> you might have an opinion about the '59 Ch. La Mission Haut Brion. I
> was unfortunate enough, (sad, I know,) to have inherited 4 bottles (in
> the original case, no less) a couple of years ago. They look to be in
> good shape and I am looking forward to opening them. As I have no
> experience with this vintage or this chateau, Maybe you have some
> memories that will enrich my/our experience when we do open them. I
> will, of course, offer tasting notes when they do go the way of all
> bottles...

I bought very few 1959 and 1961 wines when they were first released. I
was just out of college then and did not have a lot of money to spend
for wines to age. I did buy a case of 59 Yquem and a case of 61 Lafite
at the then high price of about $US 11 per bottle. I picked up a few
more bottles of 59 and 61 wines a few years after release, but by then
the prices had greatly increased, but still were very low compared
with what first growths cost today, even considering inflation.

Michael Broadbent likely has tasted more of these old wines over the
years than most. You must consider that he has a "classic" English
taste for Bordeaux, and not a "California" taste. Parker was not
important on the wine scene back then.

Back in 1959 La Mission Haut-Brion was still owned by the Woltners who
were making it at their best. It often was a more powerful wine than
Haut-Brion itself, and many, especially those in the US, often
considered it better than Haut-Brion - a matter of taste. Broadbent
says it took 20 years for the 59 La Mission Haut-Brion to lose enough
tannin for the wine to be decent. It was at first restrained, but had
perfectly evolved by the early 90s. He last reported tasting it in
2000, where he found plenty of everything in good balance. He then
rated it 5-star out of 5-star and said that it would keep. If your
wine has been properly stored over the years, it likely now is a very
great wine, and you might want to plan some special event to serve it.
If storage has been less than ideal, all bets are off and it could
range from undrinkable to still outstanding.

Both La Mission Haut-Brion and Haut-Brion were outstanding in 1959 and
1961 and all should still be drinking well and should hold longer if
properly stored. Any combination of these wines would make a most
interesting tasting.

The star of both 1959 and 1961 is Ch. Latour. Broadbent gave his very
rare rating of 6-star out of 5-star (over the top) for both of these.
In the late 90s he thought both of these had not even peaked yet, and
that the 59 might have another quarter century and the 1961 another
half century of life. Wines such as this are very difficult to
evaluate either young or at a decade or two old. Here blind tasting is
of little help, other than to detect flaws such as a corked wine or
poor storage condition. If one knows the wine is Latour and has
followed the development of Latour from youth to maturity over many
vintages, then one may be in a position to predict how a new young
Latour will develop (and one is by then usually quite old). Wines such
as this can in youth have very aggressive tannins and acids, and
mainly "label" drinkers will say they like them at this stage. For
many, if not most, such aggressive young wines, the wine often just
dries out with age or oxidizes before it becomes liked by many.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2007-10-11 20:57:45 -0700, cwdjrxyz > said:

> [...]

> In the late 90s he thought both of these had not even peaked yet, and
> that the 59 might have another quarter century and the 1961 another
> half century of life. Wines such as this are very difficult to
> evaluate either young or at a decade or two old. Here blind tasting is
> of little help, other than to detect flaws such as a corked wine or
> poor storage condition. If one knows the wine is Latour and has
> followed the development of Latour from youth to maturity over many
> vintages, then one may be in a position to predict how a new young
> Latour will develop (and one is by then usually quite old). Wines such
> as this can in youth have very aggressive tannins and acids, and
> mainly "label" drinkers will say they like them at this stage. For
> many, if not most, such aggressive young wines, the wine often just
> dries out with age or oxidizes before it becomes liked by many.

Many thanks!

Ahhh the good old days - I remember in '67 going through emotional
turmoil, and finally deciding I couldn't possibly pay all of $5 for a
bottle of '59 Yquem.

This case of La Mission was stored "OK" as far as I know - Was
purchased originally by Matt Sterling, the archiologist who discovered
the Olmec civilization in Central America. He wrote "Very good wine!"
on the side of the case and I suspect they took good care of it in a DC
cellar. His wife subsequently became my step mother in law, and I know
it was well kept for the last 25 years. In any case, it will be fun to
try!

JB

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
Ronin > wrote:

> [...]

> > mainly "label" drinkers will say they like them at this stage. For
> > many, if not most, such aggressive young wines, the wine often just
> > dries out with age or oxidizes before it becomes liked by many.

> Many thanks!
>
> Ahhh the good old days - I remember in '67 going through emotional
> turmoil, and finally deciding I couldn't possibly pay all of $5 for a
> bottle of '59 Yquem.
>
> This case of La Mission was stored "OK" as far as I know - Was
> purchased originally by Matt Sterling, the archiologist who discovered
> the Olmec civilization in Central America. He wrote "Very good wine!"
> on the side of the case and I suspect they took good care of it in a DC
> cellar. His wife subsequently became my step mother in law, and I know
> it was well kept for the last 25 years. In any case, it will be fun to

Wish I had bought D'yquem at $5 but I was only 20 then and they wouldn't
have sold to me. My last D'yquem was only a 1/2 bottle and $125. But I
bought a Chateau Figeac in 1969 for $5.

Pinot Noir aesthete8 Wine 6 11-12-2010 04:48 PM
Never tasted a Pinot Noir ... Dee Dee Wine 11 27-07-2007 11:29 AM
Best Pinot Noir within $40? Professor Wine 31 11-12-2006 02:22 AM
Pinot Noir Mike Winemaking 9 11-09-2004 12:45 AM
Pinot Noir ernie Winemaking 4 10-04-2004 10:08 PM