Old 16-07-2006, 09:24 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.food.vegan,ba.food,rec.food.cooking

Default POISON: Trader Joe's "Fig Cake w/Apricot Kernels"

In article ,
Michael Sierchio wrote:

Guy Bannis wrote:

Except that kernels (little bits of apricot) are not the same thing as
pits.

Um, Guy -- they are. Think almonds (we eat the kernel and throw
away the inedible fruit). Apricot kernels are completely analogous,
and used in making amaretti, among other things. Yes, they do
contain CN. So do cassava, manioc, and a number of other staples.

OK. Thought the OP was confusing bits of apricot flesh with pits ...

Old 16-07-2006, 03:12 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.food.vegan,ba.food,rec.food.cooking

Umm.. did you READ the report?

Your claim is that the kernels are inherently toxic - the report states that
its the first case since 1979 - some 19 years difference from the report
date!

Lets start banning Dihydrogen Monoxide next!

oy....

wrote in message
ups.com...
Yesterday, I purchased Trader Joe's "Fig Cake w/Apricot Kernels" (in a
9-ounce round, plastic container), at their store in San Francisco (555
9th St.). When I got home, something bothered me about the apricot
kernels (listed as "raw" on the label)...didn't I read somewhere that
they contain toxic levels of cyanide (like peach pits)?

So I searched the web, and sure enough, they ARE highly
poisonous...especially when raw. (And they aren't necessarily safe when
cooked.) Need proof? Look at these articles:

Acute Cyanide Toxicity Caused By Apricot Kernel Ingestion

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...674&query_hl=1

Nutrition: Raw Food Toxins

http://www.rawveg.info/rawfoodtoxins.html

Quoting from the first article: "A 41-year-old woman ingested apricot
kernels purchased at a health food store and became weak and dyspneic
within 20 minutes. The patient was comatose and hypothermic on
presentation but responded promptly to antidotal therapy for cyanide
poisoning."

(BTW, "dyspneic" means "Not breathing or able to breathe except with
difficulty.")

The apricot kernels in this Trader Joe's product are listed as RAW,
making them the MOST possibly toxic, when compared to cooking them.
(Though they may STILL be toxic, after cooking.)

I called the store I bought it from, and I hope they take that product
off the shelves PROMPTLY. (I also contacted Trader Joe's via their main
phone number, 626-599-3817.

P.S.: Don't get me wrong: I'm a FAN of Trader Joe's...so being the
bearer of bad news is an unhappy situation for me.

UPDATE: An "Amy" representing Trader Joe's got back to me (via that
phone number above)...and claimed they are fully cooked, and thus not
toxic. They have no intent to pull this product from the shelves. I
told her that, at best, customers will come to believe that raw apricot
kernels are SAFE to eat. She didn't budge, and thus I'm very, very
upset. Instead of returning this item for a refund (it was only $1.69),
I'm keeping it as evidence. See for yourself: go to Trader Joe's at 9th
& Bryant. You'll find this "Fig Cake with Apricot Kernels" in the
dried-fruit secion, in a small, clear plastic 9-ounce container.

Old 16-07-2006, 07:34 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.food.vegan,ba.food,rec.food.cooking

ArmisBrooks wrote:

Lets start banning Dihydrogen Monoxide next!

We should have some very strict legislation. Worldwide, thousands of
people die each year from breathing Dihydrogen Monoxide. Every drug
addict uses it everyday. Professional athletes claim it is refreshing
after, or even during a game. At the very least minors should not be
allowed to purchase it. This is a worldwide scandal and I salute you for
bringing it up.

Old 16-07-2006, 09:44 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.food.vegan,ba.food,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 18:34:22 GMT, Phil Keller
wrote in .com:

Worldwide, thousands of
people die each year from breathing Dihydrogen Monoxide.

The common name for such a death is "drowning".

--
Die dulci fruere,
Nicolaas.

.... Predicting is difficult, especially the future

Old 17-07-2006, 05:42 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.food.vegan,ba.food,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

... Oddly, I would get nauseous at the
smell of real almonds.

Oddly, you're nauseous right now. [Meg? MEG?!?!?]

--
Do not send me email replies. This is a honeypot
address for SPAM/UCE.