Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.food.vegan,ba.food,rec.food.cooking
Jon von [email protected] Jon von Leipzig@mayday.com is offline

Default POISON: Trader Joe's "Fig Cake w/Apricot Kernels"

wrote:

> UPDATE: An "Amy" representing Trader Joe's got back to me (via that
> phone number above)...and claimed they are fully cooked, and thus not
> toxic. They have no intent to pull this product from the shelves. I
> told her that, at best, customers will come to believe that raw apricot
> kernels are SAFE to eat. She didn't budge, and thus I'm very, very
> upset. Instead of returning this item for a refund (it was only $1.69),
> I'm keeping it as evidence. See for yourself: go to Trader Joe's at 9th
> & Bryant. You'll find this "Fig Cake with Apricot Kernels" in the
> dried-fruit secion, in a small, clear plastic 9-ounce container.

Thanx for the warning. Let us know if it kills you.
I'd be leery of 9 oz of cake for $1.69. Might be factory seconds, or
leftover from last Xmas.

We're finally getting a TJ's here. This was snipped from the newspaper.
Is it worth getting excited about??

<snip>
They call Trader Joe's a happy medium between high-priced gourmet shops
and traditional supermarkets, singing the praises of the company's
cheap-but-healthy-and-yummy frozen meals, "Two Buck Chuck" wines,
unsalted macadamia nuts, bottled juices, unique breads and friendly
staffers dressed in Hawaiian shirts.