C. James Strutz

Default Binged on rotisserie chicken last night!

"Duane Johnson" > wrote in message
>I feel so disgusted with myself. After meeting my vegetarian fiance a
> year ago, I became a vegan myself, switched to a healthy, plant based
> diet and learned a lot about cruelty to animals and unhealthfulness of
> meat. Unfortunately, something awful happened to me last night. Being
> hungry, I stopped by a Chicken Planet and asked for mashed
> potatoes. The waiter, by mistake, brought a piece of chicken with
> mashed potatoes. Something possessed me and I ate that piece. I fully
> lost control after that, and ordered a whole rotisserie chicken and
> devoured it. I must admit that the chicken was very tasty, juicy and
> fat, and not very large.

I hope you at least used hot sauce.

> Since that incident, I feel very disturbed. I am feeling out of control
> and am battling persistent images and thoughts of large pieces of
> meat, steaks, chickens, full of unhealthy saturated fat.

Meditate on the chicken being slaughtered. That'll bring you back around.

> Second, I am having doubts about tyhe wisdom of getting married. My
> fiance made my switch to a torture free, plant based diet a condition
> of our marriage. I feel out of control and do not know if I have
> enough willpower to stick to my healthy eating, despite knowing that
> it is best for me. I have not confessed to her and I know that she
> will be devastated.
>
> I am battling these cravings now, in addition to being tormented
> about our future together.

You met somebody only a year ago and you're engaged to be married? And she
made veganism a *condition* for marriage? It doesn't sound like your heart
is into the veganism thing after succumbing to temptation, especially after
describing how you enjoyed it. I don't know Duane, it doesn't sound like a
good thing to me...

Taemon

Duane Johnson wrote:

> Second, I am having doubts about tyhe wisdom of getting married. My
> fiance made my switch to a torture free, plant based diet a
> condition
> of our marriage.

She did? I don't know about you, but if my love ever set conditions,
it's exit lover.

> I feel out of control and do not know if I have
> enough willpower to stick to my healthy eating, despite knowing that
> it is best for me. I have not confessed to her and I know that she
> will be devastated.

Oh, stop your self-pity. So you gave in to a craving once. It's not a
good thing but it's hardly the end of the world, either. And least of
all it's a reason to throw the whole thing out of the window. Better
to eat meat once a year of even once a month than eating meat every
day. Be proud of what you accomplished and pull yourself together.

Hm. Now where did this harsh tone come from? Could it be that I feel
guilty because I don't manage a vegan lifestyle just now? Naaaaah.

;-)

T.

usual suspect

Duane Johnson wrote:
> I feel so disgusted with myself. After meeting my vegetarian fiance a
> year ago, I became a vegan myself, switched to a healthy, plant based
> diet and learned a lot about cruelty to animals and unhealthfulness of
> meat. Unfortunately, something awful happened to me last night. Being
> hungry, I stopped by a Chicken Planet and asked for mashed
> potatoes. The waiter, by mistake, brought a piece of chicken with
> mashed potatoes. Something possessed me and I ate that piece. I fully
> lost control after that, and ordered a whole rotisserie chicken and
> devoured it. I must admit that the chicken was very tasty, juicy and
> fat, and not very large.

Congratulations. Overcoming your irrational objections to certain foods
you normally would enjoy -- and it sounds like you enjoyed it -- is the
first step in healing from the eating disorder known as orthorexia.

http://www.orthorexia.com

> Since that incident, I feel very disturbed. I am feeling out of control
> and am battling persistent images and thoughts of large pieces of
> meat, steaks, chickens, full of unhealthy saturated fat.

Remember, you can consume meats which aren't full of saturated fats. Try
some grass-fed beef, bison, wild game, etc.

> Second, I am having doubts about tyhe wisdom of getting married.

That's good that you're questioning your choice, especially considering
how many changes that woman has demanded of you. She didn't accept you
as you are. Or, in this case, were. Ditch her and date her friends (as
long as they're not henpecking vegans like she is).

> My fiance made my switch to a torture free, plant based diet a condition
> of our marriage.

That's when you dumped her, dude. When someone gives you an ultimatum
like that, always choose to maintain your freedom.

> I feel out of control and do not know if I have
> enough willpower to stick to my healthy eating, despite knowing that
> it is best for me.

Wrong. One can eat a healthful diet which contains meat. Make wise
choices and eat in moderation (wise counsel regardless -- not all
vegetarian cuisine is healthful). Choose leaner cuts, but don't shun an
occasional piece of fatty meat. If the politics of so-called "cruelty"
(it isn't) bother you, choose meats raised locally on small family farms.

> I have not confessed to her

She's already demanded you change. You shouldn't have done that. She's
already won that battle. You shouldn't confess *anything* to her unless
you realize how unhealthy relationship is and how bending to her will is
worse for both of you than eating one little chicken ever was. Telling
her about it won't help you, it'll only put you deeper in the hole. And
not hers, if you know what I mean.

> and I know that she
> will be devastated.

At this point, why should she be devastated? She's already emasculated
you by forcing you to adopt her worldview and tastes rather than have
your own. So what if you can't overcome the reality of having your own
tastes and likes, you already made the effort to live by her rules. That
was pathetic enough.

> I am battling these cravings now, in addition to being tormented
> about our future together.

The chicken was the best thing that could've happened to you. Go back
and buy the waiter a beer. Think -- and eat -- for yourself. Enjoy your
life and your food. Live and eat on YOUR terms, not anyone else's.

> Help!

www.orthorexia.com

The first step to healing is admitting you have a problem. The second is
eating a double cheeseburger. When *you* feel like it, and without *any*
guilt.
usual suspect

C. James Strutz wrote:
>>I feel so disgusted with myself. After meeting my vegetarian fiance a
>>year ago, I became a vegan myself, switched to a healthy, plant based
>>diet and learned a lot about cruelty to animals and unhealthfulness of
>>meat. Unfortunately, something awful happened to me last night. Being
>>hungry, I stopped by a Chicken Planet and asked for mashed
>>potatoes. The waiter, by mistake, brought a piece of chicken with
>>mashed potatoes. Something possessed me and I ate that piece. I fully
>>lost control after that, and ordered a whole rotisserie chicken and
>>devoured it. I must admit that the chicken was very tasty, juicy and
>>fat, and not very large.

> I hope you at least used hot sauce.

Why hot sauce?

>>Since that incident, I feel very disturbed. I am feeling out of control
>>and am battling persistent images and thoughts of large pieces of
>>meat, steaks, chickens, full of unhealthy saturated fat.

> Meditate on the chicken being slaughtered. That'll bring you back around.

Bring him back around to living according to someone else's standards?
Why shouldn't Duane be true to himself and his own tastes instead of
this domineering girl's?

>>Second, I am having doubts about tyhe wisdom of getting married. My
>>fiance made my switch to a torture free, plant based diet a condition
>>of our marriage. I feel out of control and do not know if I have
>>enough willpower to stick to my healthy eating, despite knowing that
>>it is best for me. I have not confessed to her and I know that she
>>will be devastated.
>>
>>I am battling these cravings now, in addition to being tormented
>>about our future together.

> You met somebody only a year ago and you're engaged to be married? And she
> made veganism a *condition* for marriage?

Veganism is authoritarian in nature. I know you want to disagree with me
about that, Jim, but it's the truth.

> It doesn't sound like your heart
> is into the veganism thing after succumbing to temptation, especially after
> describing how you enjoyed it. I don't know Duane, it doesn't sound like a
> good thing to me...

Speaking of not being good things, I read that the Pirates are bringing
in Jim Tracy to manage the team. Unless and until they're prepared to
cough up some cash to field some talent, they'll continue to dwell in
the bottom of the division. Look at how much more talent he had to work
with in Los Angeles and how little he got out of it. They were much
better of with McLendon.
C. James Strutz

"usual suspect" > wrote in message
news
> C. James Strutz wrote:
>>>I feel so disgusted with myself. After meeting my vegetarian fiance a
>>>year ago, I became a vegan myself, switched to a healthy, plant based
>>>diet and learned a lot about cruelty to animals and unhealthfulness of
>>>meat. Unfortunately, something awful happened to me last night. Being
>>>hungry, I stopped by a Chicken Planet and asked for mashed
>>>potatoes. The waiter, by mistake, brought a piece of chicken with
>>>mashed potatoes. Something possessed me and I ate that piece. I fully
>>>lost control after that, and ordered a whole rotisserie chicken and
>>>devoured it. I must admit that the chicken was very tasty, juicy and
>>>fat, and not very large.

>> I hope you at least used hot sauce.

> Why hot sauce?

You know, like Buffalo chicken wings. I put hot sauce on a lot of things and
if I ate chicken I'd probably put hot sauce on it.

>>>Since that incident, I feel very disturbed. I am feeling out of control
>>>and am battling persistent images and thoughts of large pieces of
>>>meat, steaks, chickens, full of unhealthy saturated fat.

>> Meditate on the chicken being slaughtered. That'll bring you back around.

> Bring him back around to living according to someone else's standards? Why
> shouldn't Duane be true to himself and his own tastes instead of this
> domineering girl's?

Well, he should be true to his own tastes. I wrote that tonge-in-cheek, not
seriously.

>>>Second, I am having doubts about tyhe wisdom of getting married. My
>>>fiance made my switch to a torture free, plant based diet a condition
>>>of our marriage. I feel out of control and do not know if I have
>>>enough willpower to stick to my healthy eating, despite knowing that
>>>it is best for me. I have not confessed to her and I know that she
>>>will be devastated.
>>>
>>>I am battling these cravings now, in addition to being tormented
>>>about our future together.

>> You met somebody only a year ago and you're engaged to be married? And
>> she made veganism a *condition* for marriage?

> Veganism is authoritarian in nature. I know you want to disagree with me
> about that, Jim, but it's the truth.

I don't disagree with you for the sake of disagreeing with you and I'm not
defending veganism. But I disagree with ANY such generalizations about
groups of people.

>> It doesn't sound like your heart is into the veganism thing after
>> succumbing to temptation, especially after describing how you enjoyed it.
>> I don't know Duane, it doesn't sound like a good thing to me...

> Speaking of not being good things, I read that the Pirates are bringing in
> Jim Tracy to manage the team. Unless and until they're prepared to cough
> up some cash to field some talent, they'll continue to dwell in the bottom
> of the division. Look at how much more talent he had to work with in Los
> Angeles and how little he got out of it. They were much better of with
> McLendon.

THere's always going to be a scapegoat for a lackluster team. I've always
liked McClendon as a player and as a coach. Sorry to see him go. Don't know
anything about Tracy so I have no expectations. I had hoped that the Pirates
would have hired Jim Leland but they didn't appear interested. He went to
Detroit.

The bright spots in Pittsburgh sports right now are the Steelers and the
Penguins. Although the Pens haven't yet won a game they are loaded with
talent. I've been watching that Crosby kid and he's one of those rare
players who can see the ice and somehow puts himself in the best spot to
make plays. He makes everybody around him better players.

The Steelers also have lots of talent but the big question mark has always
been Cowher. He's a great regular season coach but just doesn't seem to get
it done in the post-season. Of course, they were stopped last year by the
Patriots - Bellichick may possibly be the best coach in the history of the
game.

usual suspect

C. James Strutz wrote:

>>>I hope you at least used hot sauce.

>>Why hot sauce?

> You know, like Buffalo chicken wings.
> I put hot sauce on a lot of things and
> if I ate chicken I'd probably put hot sauce on it.

Hmmm. When was the last time you had wings, Jim?

>>>Meditate on the chicken being slaughtered. That'll bring you back around.

>>Bring him back around to living according to someone else's standards? Why
>>shouldn't Duane be true to himself and his own tastes instead of this
>>domineering girl's?

> Well, he should be true to his own tastes. I wrote that tonge-in-cheek, not
> seriously.

Gotcha.

>>>You met somebody only a year ago and you're engaged to be married? And
>>>she made veganism a *condition* for marriage?

>>Veganism is authoritarian in nature. I know you want to disagree with me
>>about that, Jim, but it's the truth.

> I don't disagree with you for the sake of disagreeing with you and I'm not
> defending veganism. But I disagree with ANY such generalizations about
> groups of people.

It's not a generalization, it's a fact. How many vegans do you know who
don't mind that their spouses or dates eat meat in front of them? How
many vegans do you know who don't make a scene if meat is offered at a
gathering?

>>>It doesn't sound like your heart is into the veganism thing after
>>>succumbing to temptation, especially after describing how you enjoyed it.
>>>I don't know Duane, it doesn't sound like a good thing to me...

>>Speaking of not being good things, I read that the Pirates are bringing in
>>Jim Tracy to manage the team. Unless and until they're prepared to cough
>>up some cash to field some talent, they'll continue to dwell in the bottom
>>of the division. Look at how much more talent he had to work with in Los
>>Angeles and how little he got out of it. They were much better of with
>>McLendon.

> THere's always going to be a scapegoat for a lackluster team.

And I agree it's usually the manager. The problem with the Pirates,
though, is much higher up. You know they wouldn't be on bottom of the NL
Central if they had ownership willing to hold on to players like Aramis
Ramirez, Jason Kendall, and Kris Benson.

> I've always
> liked McClendon as a player and as a coach. Sorry to see him go. Don't know
> anything about Tracy so I have no expectations.

Good, that way your feelings won't be crushed like Dodgers fans' were.

> I had hoped that the Pirates
> would have hired Jim Leland but they didn't appear interested. He went to
> Detroit.

They have more talent to work with.

> The bright spots in Pittsburgh sports right now are the Steelers and the
> Penguins. Although the Pens haven't yet won a game they are loaded with
> talent. I've been watching that Crosby kid and he's one of those rare
> players who can see the ice and somehow puts himself in the best spot to
> make plays. He makes everybody around him better players.

A week later and the Pens still haven't won. I'm not buying the hockey
package from the cable company this season (still ****ed off about the
strike) so I doubt I'll see Crosby play except on Sports Center.

> The Steelers also have lots of talent but the big question mark has always
> been Cowher. He's a great regular season coach but just doesn't seem to get
> it done in the post-season. Of course, they were stopped last year by the
> Patriots - Bellichick may possibly be the best coach in the history of the
> game.

I don't think the Steelers are going to make the playoffs this season. I
see only a handful of games where I'd bet on them to win straight up --
against NFC North teams. I think they'll lose both games they play the
Ravens and Bengals, and I think the Colts will tear them apart. That
would put them at 8-8 at best for the season.
C. James Strutz

>>>Why hot sauce?

>> You know, like Buffalo chicken wings.
>> I put hot sauce on a lot of things and if I ate chicken I'd probably put
>> hot sauce on it.

> Hmmm. When was the last time you had wings, Jim?

Can't remember exactly. I had them all the time when I went to school in
Rochester. That was in the early 1980s before Buffalo wings became
nationally popular. Since then I've only had them once or twice, maybe as
late as 1990 or so.

[snip]

>>>Veganism is authoritarian in nature. I know you want to disagree with me
>>>about that, Jim, but it's the truth.

>> I don't disagree with you for the sake of disagreeing with you and I'm
>> not defending veganism. But I disagree with ANY such generalizations
>> about groups of people.

> It's not a generalization, it's a fact. How many vegans do you know who
> don't mind that their spouses or dates eat meat in front of them? How many
> vegans do you know who don't make a scene if meat is offered at a
> gathering?

Yeah, I know some vegans who like that. I also know some who are not like
that. I know with certainty that all vegans are not as you describe and so
it is not a fact.

>>>Speaking of not being good things, I read that the Pirates are bringing
>>>in Jim Tracy to manage the team. Unless and until they're prepared to
>>>cough up some cash to field some talent, they'll continue to dwell in the
>>>bottom of the division. Look at how much more talent he had to work with
>>>in Los Angeles and how little he got out of it. They were much better of
>>>with McLendon.

>> THere's always going to be a scapegoat for a lackluster team.

> And I agree it's usually the manager. The problem with the Pirates,
> though, is much higher up. You know they wouldn't be on bottom of the NL
> Central if they had ownership willing to hold on to players like Aramis
> Ramirez, Jason Kendall, and Kris Benson.

The problem is Pittsburgh is a small market team and the Pirates just can't
afford to keep good players for long. It's been that way before McClatchy
became an owner. We lost players like Bonds, Drabek (one of my all time
favorites), Bell, etc. years ago for the same reasons. To be honest, we're
happy that the Pirates are still here...

The Astros are doing well this year - great pitching. Should be a good game
tonight in St. Louis.

>> The Steelers also have lots of talent but the big question mark has
>> always been Cowher. He's a great regular season coach but just doesn't
>> seem to get it done in the post-season. Of course, they were stopped last
>> year by the Patriots - Bellichick may possibly be the best coach in the
>> history of the game.

> I don't think the Steelers are going to make the playoffs this season. I
> see only a handful of games where I'd bet on them to win straight up --
> against NFC North teams. I think they'll lose both games they play the
> Ravens and Bengals, and I think the Colts will tear them apart. That would
> put them at 8-8 at best for the season.

Hmmm, I hope you're wrong. But after the debacle last Sunday I will reserve
judgement until I see more. BTW, I read this this morning and thought I'd
share it with you. :^)

PITTSBURGH, PA -- Local police reported that some individual attempted to
egg" Bill Cowher's house last night.

An empty egg carton was recovered at the scene. Two eggs hit Mr. Cowher's
house, 3 eggs went over his house and hit his neighbor's back door, 2 eggs
hit the houses of each of his next door neighbors, and the remaining 3 eggs
were found broken on the ground near the carton from where the individual
threw them.

Detective Charles Aikins stated "Looking at what was hit, we are considering
Tommy Maddox as the primary suspect."

Dave

usual suspect wrote:
> Duane Johnson wrote:
> > I feel so disgusted with myself. After meeting my vegetarian fiance a
> > year ago, I became a vegan myself, switched to a healthy, plant based
> > diet and learned a lot about cruelty to animals and unhealthfulness of
> > meat. Unfortunately, something awful happened to me last night. Being
> > hungry, I stopped by a Chicken Planet and asked for mashed
> > potatoes. The waiter, by mistake, brought a piece of chicken with
> > mashed potatoes. Something possessed me and I ate that piece.
> > I fully
> > lost control after that, and ordered a whole rotisserie chicken and
> > devoured it. I must admit that the chicken was very tasty, juicy and
> > fat, and not very large.

> Congratulations. Overcoming your irrational objections to certain foods
> you normally would enjoy -- and it sounds like you enjoyed it -- is the
> first step in healing from the eating disorder known as orthorexia.
>
> http://www.orthorexia.com

There is nothing irrational or orthorexic about considering where your
food comes from and whether it is health promoting.

> > Since that incident, I feel very disturbed. I am feeling out of control
> > and am battling persistent images and thoughts of large pieces of
> > meat, steaks, chickens, full of unhealthy saturated fat.

> Remember, you can consume meats which aren't full of saturated fats. Try
> some grass-fed beef, bison, wild game, etc.

This is good advice.

> > Second, I am having doubts about tyhe wisdom of getting married.

> That's good that you're questioning your choice, especially considering
> how many changes that woman has demanded of you. She didn't accept you
> as you are. Or, in this case, were. Ditch her and date her friends (as
> long as they're not henpecking vegans like she is).
>
> > My fiance made my switch to a torture free, plant based diet a condition
> > of our marriage.

> That's when you dumped her, dude. When someone gives you an ultimatum
> like that, always choose to maintain your freedom.
>
> > I feel out of control and do not know if I have
> > enough willpower to stick to my healthy eating, despite knowing that
> > it is best for me.

> Wrong. One can eat a healthful diet which contains meat. Make wise
> choices and eat in moderation (wise counsel regardless -- not all
> vegetarian cuisine is healthful). Choose leaner cuts, but don't shun an
> occasional piece of fatty meat. If the politics of so-called "cruelty"
> (it isn't) bother you, choose meats raised locally on small family farms.
>
> > I have not confessed to her

> She's already demanded you change. You shouldn't have done that. She's
> already won that battle. You shouldn't confess *anything* to her unless
> you realize how unhealthy relationship is and how bending to her will is
> worse for both of you than eating one little chicken ever was. Telling
> her about it won't help you, it'll only put you deeper in the hole. And
> not hers, if you know what I mean.
>
> > and I know that she
> > will be devastated.

> At this point, why should she be devastated? She's already emasculated
> you by forcing you to adopt her worldview and tastes rather than have
> your own. So what if you can't overcome the reality of having your own
> tastes and likes, you already made the effort to live by her rules. That
> was pathetic enough.
>
> > I am battling these cravings now, in addition to being tormented
> > about our future together.

> The chicken was the best thing that could've happened to you. Go back
> and buy the waiter a beer. Think -- and eat -- for yourself. Enjoy your
> life and your food. Live and eat on YOUR terms, not anyone else's.
>
> > Help!

> www.orthorexia.com
>
> The first step to healing is admitting you have a problem. The second is
> eating a double cheeseburger. When *you* feel like it, and without *any*
> guilt.

Dave

C. James Strutz wrote:
> "Duane Johnson" > wrote in message
> >I feel so disgusted with myself. After meeting my vegetarian fiance a
> > year ago, I became a vegan myself, switched to a healthy, plant based
> > diet and learned a lot about cruelty to animals and unhealthfulness of
> > meat. Unfortunately, something awful happened to me last night. Being
> > hungry, I stopped by a Chicken Planet and asked for mashed
> > potatoes. The waiter, by mistake, brought a piece of chicken with
> > mashed potatoes. Something possessed me and I ate that piece. I fully
> > lost control after that, and ordered a whole rotisserie chicken and
> > devoured it. I must admit that the chicken was very tasty, juicy and
> > fat, and not very large.

> I hope you at least used hot sauce.
>
> > Since that incident, I feel very disturbed. I am feeling out of control
> > and am battling persistent images and thoughts of large pieces of
> > meat, steaks, chickens, full of unhealthy saturated fat.

> Meditate on the chicken being slaughtered. That'll bring you back around.
>
> > Second, I am having doubts about tyhe wisdom of getting married. My
> > fiance made my switch to a torture free, plant based diet a condition
> > of our marriage. I feel out of control and do not know if I have
> > enough willpower to stick to my healthy eating, despite knowing that
> > it is best for me.

You should talk to her and try to explain how difficult you are finding
it to stick to your diet. Better to face the problem now than when you
are married with children. Easy to say though.

> >I have not confessed to her and I know that she
> > will be devastated.

It could be that your serious meat cravings are a sign that there
is something in meat, your body needs. The mainstream meat industry
is cruel but you could always buy game or check out some local organic
farms.

> > I am battling these cravings now, in addition to being tormented
> > about our future together.

> You met somebody only a year ago and you're engaged to be married? And she
> made veganism a *condition* for marriage? It doesn't sound like your heart
> is into the veganism thing after succumbing to temptation, especially after
> describing how you enjoyed it. I don't know Duane, it doesn't sound like a
> good thing to me...

usual suspect

C. James Strutz wrote:
<...>

>>>I don't disagree with you for the sake of disagreeing with you and I'm
>>>not defending veganism. But I disagree with ANY such generalizations
>>>about groups of people.

>>It's not a generalization, it's a fact. How many vegans do you know who
>>don't mind that their spouses or dates eat meat in front of them? How many
>>vegans do you know who don't make a scene if meat is offered at a
>>gathering?

> Yeah, I know some vegans who like that.

All the ones I know (and know OF) are like that.

<...>

>>>THere's always going to be a scapegoat for a lackluster team.

>>And I agree it's usually the manager. The problem with the Pirates,
>>though, is much higher up. You know they wouldn't be on bottom of the NL
>>Central if they had ownership willing to hold on to players like Aramis
>>Ramirez, Jason Kendall, and Kris Benson.

> The problem is Pittsburgh is a small market team

I don't buy that argument. So is Oakland, but they field teams that
contend for their division and, usually, make the playoffs.

> and the Pirates just can't
> afford to keep good players for long.

Other "small market" teams commit to key players. I didn't think
Milwaukee's new owner would cough up the money for Ben Sheets, but they
signed him to a pretty decent contract extension -- and they did that
after he spent a good part of last season on the DL.

> It's been that way before McClatchy
> became an owner.

IMO, he's the worst owner in MLB.

> We lost players like Bonds,

Understandable.

> Drabek (one of my all time
> favorites),

He had a couple good seasons in Houston before he fell apart. I think he
and Swindell are the main reasons Drayton McLane is so reluctant to sign
pitchers to long (greater than three years) contracts.

> Bell,

Derek?! Why would you like him? He quit on your team.

> etc. years ago for the same reasons. To be honest, we're
> happy that the Pirates are still here...

I can't see MLB letting them move because of the history of the
franchise, and I certainly can't see them leaving after getting a new
stadium.

> The Astros are doing well this year - great pitching.

Some games better than others. Some, in fact, like Groundhog Day.

This has been a pretty exciting year for my teams. Texas beat Michigan
in the Rose Bowl. Texas won the College World Series and has the players
to win it again in '06. Texas would've likely been a team in the Final
Four (again) or at least the Sweet 16 if PJ Tucker hadn't been declared
academically ineligible so early in the season. Spurs won the NBA
Championship (and will repeat). Lance won another TdF. Astros in the
World Series. Horns most likely going back to the Rose Bowl to play USC
for BCS title shot. Andy Katz, Dick Vitale, and other college hoops
writers are mentioning the Running Horns again in lists of favorites to
win the NCAA title -- Blue Ribbon Yearbook gives Texas straight A grades
across the board (A+ in the front court). Life is good.

<...>

>>>The Steelers also have lots of talent but the big question mark has
>>>always been Cowher. He's a great regular season coach but just doesn't
>>>seem to get it done in the post-season. Of course, they were stopped last
>>>year by the Patriots - Bellichick may possibly be the best coach in the
>>>history of the game.

>>I don't think the Steelers are going to make the playoffs this season. I
>>see only a handful of games where I'd bet on them to win straight up --
>>against NFC North teams. I think they'll lose both games they play the
>>Ravens and Bengals, and I think the Colts will tear them apart. That would
>>put them at 8-8 at best for the season.

> Hmmm, I hope you're wrong.

I sure was wrt the game yesterday in Cincy. Not taking any credit away
from Pittsburgh for taking advantage of miscues, but I think Cincy lost
that one more than the Steelers won it.

> But after the debacle last Sunday I will reserve
> judgement until I see more. BTW, I read this this morning and thought I'd
> share it with you. :^)
>
> PITTSBURGH, PA -- Local police reported that some individual attempted to
> egg" Bill Cowher's house last night.
>
> An empty egg carton was recovered at the scene. Two eggs hit Mr. Cowher's
> house, 3 eggs went over his house and hit his neighbor's back door, 2 eggs
> hit the houses of each of his next door neighbors, and the remaining 3 eggs
> were found broken on the ground near the carton from where the individual
> threw them.
>
> Detective Charles Aikins stated "Looking at what was hit, we are considering
> Tommy Maddox as the primary suspect."

Revision of the one I first heard about some back-up QB for Dallas when
I was about eight years-old.

C. James Strutz

>>>And I agree it's usually the manager. The problem with the Pirates,
>>>though, is much higher up. You know they wouldn't be on bottom of the NL
>>>Central if they had ownership willing to hold on to players like Aramis
>>>Ramirez, Jason Kendall, and Kris Benson.

>> The problem is Pittsburgh is a small market team

> I don't buy that argument. So is Oakland, but they field teams that
> contend for their division and, usually, make the playoffs.

I don't know. Pittsburgh always seems to lose its best players because they
can't afford to keep them. It's been that way long before McClatchy came
along.

>> Bell,

> Derek?! Why would you like him? He quit on your team.

No, Jay Bell - excellent short stop who was a big part of the 1990 (or
thereabouts) Pirates team that ultimately lost in the NL playoffs. He played
for the Pirates in his prime and then was traded toArizona or someplace when
we couldn't afford him anymore. Great fielder and hitter, never choked the
way that Bonds choked in the big games. Oh, another great player from that
team was Sid Bream. He went on to the Braves and did well on their world
series teams of the mid-1990s. Pittsburgh fans always hated playing the
Braves with their awesome pitching staff, but Sid continued to get cheers
when he made good plays...

I guess I'm talking about the players from that team because it was a great
team that should have made it to the world series. I think it's one of the
last time the Pirates even made it to the playoffs. It sticks in my mind
because many of the players got a lot of recognition and the team couldn't
afford to sign them again. Same thing happened to the Penguins around the
same time. They won the Stanley Cup a couple of times in the early 1990s and
then the players went elsewhere because the Pens just couldn't afford to pay
them anymore. Both teams have been in the doldrums ever since.

>> The Astros are doing well this year - great pitching.

> Some games better than others. Some, in fact, like Groundhog Day.
>
> This has been a pretty exciting year for my teams. Texas beat Michigan in
> the Rose Bowl. Texas won the College World Series and has the players to
> win it again in '06. Texas would've likely been a team in the Final Four
> (again) or at least the Sweet 16 if PJ Tucker hadn't been declared
> academically ineligible so early in the season. Spurs won the NBA
> Championship (and will repeat). Lance won another TdF. Astros in the World
> Series. Horns most likely going back to the Rose Bowl to play USC for BCS
> title shot. Andy Katz, Dick Vitale, and other college hoops writers are
> mentioning the Running Horns again in lists of favorites to win the NCAA
> title -- Blue Ribbon Yearbook gives Texas straight A grades across the
> board (A+ in the front court). Life is good.

I haven't followed any of this except for Lance. Of course, the whole
country was thrilled that he won the TdF for an unprecedented 6th time -
much to the dismay of the French. :^)

>>>I don't think the Steelers are going to make the playoffs this season. I
>>>see only a handful of games where I'd bet on them to win straight up --
>>>against NFC North teams. I think they'll lose both games they play the
>>>Ravens and Bengals, and I think the Colts will tear them apart. That
>>>would put them at 8-8 at best for the season.

>> Hmmm, I hope you're wrong.

> I sure was wrt the game yesterday in Cincy. Not taking any credit away
> from Pittsburgh for taking advantage of miscues, but I think Cincy lost
> that one more than the Steelers won it.

I don't know if you actually watched that game but the only two Cincinnati
miscues that I can remember was a dropped touchdown pass and a missed field
goal attempt early in the game. Okay there were a couple of Palmer
interceptions later on but those were more heads-up plays by Steelers than
miscues. The Steelers had a lot to do with keeping the Bengals from gaining
any momentum despite being beat up and playing on the road. The Steelers had
a lot more penalties and questionable calls to overcome than the Bengals did
as well.

The Bengals are a much improved team but they've had a weak schedule so far
this year. The Steelers have had a tougher schedule and play their games
with a bull's eye on their chest after going 15-1 last year. They lost to a
better coached Patriots team and beat themselves against the Jags so far
this year. They can do very well this year if they can stay healthy and if
Bill Cowher can figure out how to make smart adjustments in the big games.
My prediction: Steelers versus the Colts in the AFC championship game,
winner takes the Super Bowl.

usual suspect

C. James Strutz wrote:
<...>
>>>The Astros are doing well this year - great pitching.

>>Some games better than others. Some, in fact, like Groundhog Day.
>>
>>This has been a pretty exciting year for my teams. Texas beat Michigan in
>>the Rose Bowl. Texas won the College World Series and has the players to
>>win it again in '06. Texas would've likely been a team in the Final Four
>>(again) or at least the Sweet 16 if PJ Tucker hadn't been declared
>>academically ineligible so early in the season. Spurs won the NBA
>>Championship (and will repeat). Lance won another TdF. Astros in the World
>>Series. Horns most likely going back to the Rose Bowl to play USC for BCS
>>title shot. Andy Katz, Dick Vitale, and other college hoops writers are
>>mentioning the Running Horns again in lists of favorites to win the NCAA
>>title -- Blue Ribbon Yearbook gives Texas straight A grades across the
>>board (A+ in the front court). Life is good.

> I haven't followed any of this except for Lance. Of course, the whole
> country was thrilled that he won the TdF for an unprecedented 6th time -
> much to the dismay of the French. :^)

*Seventh*. Which is even more unprecedented. The French rank right down
there with vegans in my book. I hope Lance indeed decides to ride again
next year just to **** them off. **** L'Equipe.

<...>
> My prediction: Steelers versus the Colts in the AFC championship game,
> winner takes the Super Bowl.

I wasn't a believer in Denver at the beginning of the season, but I am
now (even with their last-play loss against the Giants Sunday). I think
the AFC championship game will be all ponies: Broncos at Colts.