Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

Default Harnessing the sun to keep milk fresh : A story from Goa

On May 6, 6:27*am, "Myself,PresentContinuouslyTenseMallu"
> wrote:
> On 5/5/2010 10:13 PM, Romanise wrote:
>
> > On May 6, 6:05 am, "Myself,PresentContinuouslyTenseMallu"
> > > *wrote:

> >> Neat story, and neat product that will help the poorer farmer. Hopefully
> >> the government will provide some sort of subsidy for this. The product
> >> is made by Promethean Power Systems (founded by Sorin Grama, a Romanian
> >> immigrant to the US).

> >>http://www.coolectrica.com/

> > Savoikar's price is low, 600 for 40 litres is 15 per litre. Those in
> > Haryana sell for 25 a litre.

> India is the largest producer of dairy products in the world. It was
> surprising that quite a bit gets wasted from lack of refrigeration. I
> thought that several states followed Gujarat in replicating the 'Amul
> model.'
>
> The prices in various states are set by dairy co-operatives, right? The
> Haryanvis must have negotiated a better deal.

I think it was in here that price was quoted to be INR 25.
At the time I asked my contact in Surat what he pays for a litre of
milk. He said 25.
It could not be less in Mumbai, and if Goa guy is getting 15 something
is very wrong.

Watch the following links
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8131088.stm
And following is perhaps accompanying story
http://www.bbc.co.uk/southtoday/cont...feature..shtml

Some moths back I read a story which led me to learn that my childhood
friends buffaloes have been thriving in Italy for long long period. In
fact Pizza of certain region can be certified as of that region only
if they are made out of Buffalo Cheese.

In India traditionally it was butter fat (ghee) that worked for animal
husbandry till trains, buses and lastly Dr. Varghese Kurien entered
the scene.

From Ghee middlemen of Porbandar became big names at one time bigger
than Azim Premji's father. Bhanji Lavji (BhaaNa Lavaa) ruled the roost
for very long.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Bha...ient=firefox-a

Why could cheese making did niot take off in India is still a mystery
to me.
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

It would be absolute pity if Italy is going to teach Indian how to use
their buffaloes for better gains.

http://www.hospitalitybizindia.com/d...aid=7905&sid=1