Old 07-04-2012, 05:08 PM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.buddha.short.fat.guy,alt.philosophy.zen,alt.philosophy

Default FAQ: The Irrational Search for Micrograms (of Animal Parts)

On 4/7/2012 5:05 AM, Zerkon wrote:
In ,
says...
All "vegans" begin their belief in "veganism" by
subscribing to a logically fallacious argument:

'All', the word as used here, indicates a straw man argument is to
follow.

It's not a straw man; you misused the word. It's an argument you don't
like, but that doesn't make it a straw man.

If I eat meat, I cause harm to animals
I do not eat meat;
Therefore, I do not cause harm to animals by eating meat.

That's not what "vegans" believe. They believe that by not putting
animal parts in their mouths, they don't cause any harm to animals at all.

or

I do not eat meat
Therefore, I do not eat meat

Empty tautology. You're getting worse.

or

My doctor advised me to not eat meat
Therefore, I do not eat it

Not "veganism". "veganism" is the belief that it is necessary to get
animal parts out of one's diet for ethical reasons, not for health
reasons.

or

I do not like the taste of meat
Therefore....

Aesthetics, not ethics; it also doesn't explain why "vegans" don't
consume dairy, leather, wool, or use health and beauty aids that were
tested on animals (but they *do* all use prescription drugs, which by
law are tested on animals.)

or

Good meat is expensive so I stoped eating meat altogether.

Economics, not ethics.

I then began to enjoy what people call a vegan diet but to me it's what
now tastes best. It makes me feel good, plus the girls at the store I go
to are incredibly good looking.

Self-interest, not ethics.

You wrote a really shitty post.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:46 PM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.buddha.short.fat.guy,alt.philosophy.zen,alt.philosophy

On 4/6/2012 8:08 AM, George Plimpton wrote:
All "vegans" begin their belief in "veganism" by
subscribing to a logically fallacious argument:

If I eat meat, I cause harm to animals

I do not eat meat;

Therefore, I do not cause harm to animals.

This argument contains a classic fallacy: Denying the
Antecedent. It is obvious there are other ways to
cause harm to animals. The one that is much discussed
in alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian/talk.politics.animals
is collateral animal deaths in agriculture. Uncounted
millions of animals are slaughtered in the course of
vegetable agriculture, either unintentionally as a
result of mechanized farming, or intentionally by pest
control. Once "vegans" recognize the fact of animal
CDs, the fallacy of the argument becomes clear.

However, we still observe "vegans" spending tremendous
time and mental energy trying to get rid of the last
trace of animal parts from their diet. I call this the
Search for Micrograms, i.e., micrograms of animal parts
in food. The idea, of course, is to determine if there
are any micrograms of animal parts in a food item, and
if so, exclude it from their diet.

A while ago, in alt.food.vegan, a "vegan" posted a
comment to the effect that canned black olives are in a
juice that contains octopus ink, to make the juice
dark. She wasn't able to substantiate the rumor - it
smacked of a very narrow, "vegan"-oriented urban legend
- and none of the other participants seemed especially
eager to eliminate canned black olives from their
diets. Nonetheless, it provided an excellent example
of the bizarre, obsessive Search for Micrograms.

Meanwhile, with only rare exceptions, the observation
that "vegans" do virtually *nothing* to reduce the
animal collateral death toll caused by the production
and distribution of the foods they personally eat goes
all but unchallenged. What little challenge is mounted
is not credible. One "vegan" poster in a.a.e.v. and
t.p.a., one of the more egregious sophists in the
groups, claims that she is doing "all she can" by
buying "locally produced" fruit and vegetables - as if
the geographic locale of production has anything to do
with the care farmers might take to ensure they don't
kill animals. It simply is not credible.

How, then, to explain the bizarre Search for
Micrograms? It is as if, despite some of them knowing
that the original argument is fallacious, "vegans"
*still* accept it.

I think it is pretty much a given that "veganism" is a
form of religion. Although "vegans" prefer to dwell on
what they call "ethics", their devotion to the
religious injunction - don't eat animals - gives them
away. In that light, the obsessive Search for
Micrograms takes on the character of a religious
ritual; sort of like performing the stations of the
cross, or reciting a prayer 20 or 30 times.