Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default brussels sprouts

It says here that almost one in four people taste bitterness in
brussels sprouts, so I guess it's them and not the sprouts that are to
blame. So, beet, cilantro and now brussels sprouts people. It's you,
not the plant, so stop it already. The rest of us will continue to
enjoy them.
<http://www.rachaelraymag.com/fun-how-to/get-real-guide/how-to-learn-to-like-foods-you-hate>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 10:22*am, sf > wrote:

> It says here that almost one in four people taste bitterness in
> brussels sprouts, so I guess it's them and not the sprouts that are to
> blame. *So, beet, cilantro and now brussels sprouts people. *It's you,
> not the plant, so stop it already. *The rest of us will continue to
> enjoy them.
> <http://www.rachaelraymag.com/fun-how-to/get-real-guide/how-to-learn-t...>

Fine, eat all of these vegetables you want but don't chide the rest of
us who can't abide those bittle little cabbages and no, it is not from
my childhood. And Jennifer Chen is full of baloney with her silly
statements.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> It says here that almost one in four people taste bitterness in
> brussels sprouts, so I guess it's them and not the sprouts that are to
> blame. So, beet, cilantro and now brussels sprouts people. It's you,
> not the plant, so stop it already. The rest of us will continue to
> enjoy them.
> <http://www.rachaelraymag.com/fun-how-to/get-real-guide/how-to-learn-to-like-foods-you-hate>
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

There are three cooked foods that taste totally vile to me. Okay I'm sure
there are more but of the vegetables it would be broccoli, Brussels sprouts
and asparagus. I am not overly fond of cooked cabbage or cauliflower either
and can't bring myself to eat more than a bite or two. Those things do not
taste bitter to me though. Just really, bad. I can eat broccoli raw. I
don't like it so much but it doesn't taste horrid that way. I LOVE cilantro
and beets though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Mar 1, 9:31 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>>> It says here that almost one in four people taste bitterness in
>>> brussels sprouts, so I guess it's them and not the sprouts that are
>>> to blame. So, beet, cilantro and now brussels sprouts people. It's
>>> you, not the plant, so stop it already. The rest of us will
>>> continue to enjoy them.
>>> <http://www.rachaelraymag.com/fun-how-to/get-real-guide/how-to-learn-t...>

>>> --
>>> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

>> There are three cooked foods that taste totally vile to me. Okay I'm
>> sure there are more but of the vegetables it would be broccoli,
>> Brussels sprouts and asparagus. I am not overly fond of cooked
>> cabbage or cauliflower either and can't bring myself to eat more
>> than a bite or two. Those things do not taste bitter to me though.
>> Just really, bad. I can eat broccoli raw. I don't like it so much
>> but it doesn't taste horrid that way. I LOVE cilantro and beets
>> though.

> To me broccoli, brussels sprouts and asparagus taste nasty only if
> overcooked. I just cook them till they get that intense green color.
>
> If you can eat broccoli raw, try cauliflower raw -- to me it's much
> milder raw.

Raw cauliflower is one of those things I can eat a piece or two of raw. But
the taste is much stronger to me than raw broccoli. The only problem I have
with those things now is that I don't digest them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 00:54:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>spamtrap1888 wrote:

>>> There are three cooked foods that taste totally vile to me. Okay I'm
>>> sure there are more but of the vegetables it would be broccoli,
>>> Brussels sprouts and asparagus. I am not overly fond of cooked
>>> cabbage or cauliflower either and can't bring myself to eat more
>>> than a bite or two. Those things do not taste bitter to me though.
>>> Just really, bad. I can eat broccoli raw. I don't like it so much
>>> but it doesn't taste horrid that way. I LOVE cilantro and beets
>>> though.

>> To me broccoli, brussels sprouts and asparagus taste nasty only if
>> overcooked. I just cook them till they get that intense green color.
>>
>> If you can eat broccoli raw, try cauliflower raw -- to me it's much
>> milder raw.

>Raw cauliflower is one of those things I can eat a piece or two of raw. But
>the taste is much stronger to me than raw broccoli. The only problem I have
>with those things now is that I don't digest them.

Raw cauliflower is excellent pickled/marinated, especially good in a
marinated bean salad. Also if one reads the ingredients list on some
brands of pickle relish it contains cauliflower, not cukes... I like
those with cauliflower better, less watery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 18:45:15 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Mar 1, 10:22*am, sf > wrote:
>>
>> It says here that almost one in four people taste bitterness in
>> brussels sprouts, so I guess it's them and not the sprouts that are to
>> blame. *So, beet, cilantro and now brussels sprouts people. *It's you,
>> not the plant, so stop it already. *The rest of us will continue to
>> enjoy them.
>> <http://www.rachaelraymag.com/fun-how-to/get-real-guide/how-to-learn-t...>
>>

>Fine, eat all of these vegetables you want but don't chide the rest of
>us who can't abide those bittle little cabbages and no, it is not from
>my childhood.

Brussels sprouts are a big crop on Lung Guyland... the reason some
find them bitter is because they buy those that are too old... even
regular head cabbage becomes bitter when it's been around too long
after harvest. Freshly picked brussels sprouts makes the Champagne of
cole slaw.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 00:54:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>spamtrap1888 wrote:

>>> To me broccoli, brussels sprouts and asparagus taste nasty only if
>>> overcooked. I just cook them till they get that intense green color.
>>>
>>> If you can eat broccoli raw, try cauliflower raw -- to me it's much
>>> milder raw.

>>Raw cauliflower is one of those things I can eat a piece or two of raw.
>>But
>>the taste is much stronger to me than raw broccoli. The only problem I
>>have
>>with those things now is that I don't digest them.

> Raw cauliflower is excellent pickled/marinated, especially good in a
> marinated bean salad. Also if one reads the ingredients list on some
> brands of pickle relish it contains cauliflower, not cukes... I like
> those with cauliflower better, less watery.

I'm not a fan of that kind of salad. I always loved the concept of bean
salad because I love beans but I dislike the dressing it is in. Really the
only pickled foods I like are beets and cucumbers.

Brussels sprouts Nick Cramer Diabetic 3 07-01-2010 03:16 AM
brussels sprouts bulka[_2_] General Cooking 5 08-02-2009 06:47 PM
Brussels Sprouts Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 13-07-2006 01:30 AM