Steve

Default Vitamin B-12: An Open Letter From AR organizations and vegan healthprofessionals

An Open Letter from Health Professionals and Vegan Organizations
What Every Vegan Should Know about Vitamin B12:
http://www.veganhealth.org/everyvegan/

From Alex Hershaft, PhD, President of FARM:
( from http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/intro )

"For the last few months, I was feeling sluggish, had to lie down a
couple of times a day, found it difficult to work evenings and to
exercise for long periods. Under Michael Klaper, MD's guidance, I was
taking protein powder, creatine, testosterone, nystatin, etc., all to no
avail. I was taking nutritional yeast every day, so I knew it wasn't B12
deficiency.

Then, one day, I came across your B12 article [Vitamin B12: Are you
Getting It?] by sheer accident. I wasn't going to read the whole thing,
but I glanced through it and was struck by your insistence that none of
the usual sources are adequate. I still didn't believe it, but I had
some old B12 pills in the fridge, so I popped one.

The effect was almost immediate and remarkable. I have been taking them
almost every day, my stamina and energy level are up, and I feel
middle-aged again instead of a tired old man."

--
Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

John Coleman

Steve, that was likely some cyanocobalamin, it has a long shelf life but
isn't very good IMO, and does not occur in nature. I take hydroxocobalamin
from biocare.

http://www.strokedoctor.com/vitamin_b12.htm

John

"Steve" > wrote in message

> An Open Letter from Health Professionals and Vegan Organizations
> What Every Vegan Should Know about Vitamin B12:
> http://www.veganhealth.org/everyvegan/
>

> From Alex Hershaft, PhD, President of FARM:
> ( from http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/intro )
>
> "For the last few months, I was feeling sluggish, had to lie down a
> couple of times a day, found it difficult to work evenings and to
> exercise for long periods. Under Michael Klaper, MD's guidance, I was
> taking protein powder, creatine, testosterone, nystatin, etc., all to no
> avail. I was taking nutritional yeast every day, so I knew it wasn't B12
> deficiency.
>
> Then, one day, I came across your B12 article [Vitamin B12: Are you
> Getting It?] by sheer accident. I wasn't going to read the whole thing,
> but I glanced through it and was struck by your insistence that none of
> the usual sources are adequate. I still didn't believe it, but I had
> some old B12 pills in the fridge, so I popped one.
>
> The effect was almost immediate and remarkable. I have been taking them
> almost every day, my stamina and energy level are up, and I feel
> middle-aged again instead of a tired old man."
>

> --
> Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
> http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html
>
> Steve's Home Page
> http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/
>
> "The great American thought trap: It is not real
> unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
> shopping mall"

John Coleman

"Steve" > wrote in message

> An Open Letter from Health Professionals and Vegan Organizations
> What Every Vegan Should Know about Vitamin B12:
> http://www.veganhealth.org/everyvegan/
>

> From Alex Hershaft, PhD, President of FARM:
> ( from http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/intro )
>
> "For the last few months, I was feeling sluggish, had to lie down a
> couple of times a day, found it difficult to work evenings and to
> exercise for long periods. Under Michael Klaper, MD's guidance, I was
> taking protein powder, creatine, testosterone, nystatin, etc., all to no
> avail. I was taking nutritional yeast every day, so I knew it wasn't B12
> deficiency.
>
> Then, one day, I came across your B12 article [Vitamin B12: Are you
> Getting It?] by sheer accident. I wasn't going to read the whole thing,
> but I glanced through it and was struck by your insistence that none of
> the usual sources are adequate. I still didn't believe it, but I had
> some old B12 pills in the fridge, so I popped one.
>
> The effect was almost immediate and remarkable. I have been taking them
> almost every day, my stamina and energy level are up, and I feel
> middle-aged again instead of a tired old man."
>

> --
> Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
> http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html
>
> Steve's Home Page
> http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/
>
> "The great American thought trap: It is not real
> unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
> shopping mall"

Steve

That is an interesting article John, I am going to forward it to Jack
Norris, the vitamin B-12 guru ( registered dietician ) at
veganhealth.org to see if he has an opinion.

When I was at Summerfest I heard Dr. Michael Klaper M.D., Dr. Michael
Greger M.D., and Brenda Davis RD pound people on taking b-12.

Methylcobalamin was recommended for people who had smoked heavily, drank
heavily, or who had absorption, but none of these people ( including
Norris ) felt it was necessary for people in good health.

The cheap stuff seemd to do wonders for Hershaft in his testomonial as well.

John Coleman wrote:
> Steve, that was likely some cyanocobalamin, it has a long shelf life but
> isn't very good IMO, and does not occur in nature. I take hydroxocobalamin
> from biocare.
>
> http://www.strokedoctor.com/vitamin_b12.htm

>>An Open Letter from Health Professionals and Vegan Organizations
>>What Every Vegan Should Know about Vitamin B12:
>>http://www.veganhealth.org/everyvegan/
>>

>> From Alex Hershaft, PhD, President of FARM:
>>( from http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/intro )

--
Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Steve

John Coleman wrote:
> Steve, that was likely some cyanocobalamin, it has a long shelf life but
> isn't very good IMO, and does not occur in nature. I take hydroxocobalamin
> from biocare.
>
> http://www.strokedoctor.com/vitamin_b12.htm

>>An Open Letter from Health Professionals and Vegan Organizations
>>What Every Vegan Should Know about Vitamin B12:
>>http://www.veganhealth.org/everyvegan/
>>

>> From Alex Hershaft, PhD, President of FARM:
>>( from http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/intro )

--
Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Steve

John Coleman wrote:
> Steve, that was likely some cyanocobalamin, it has a long shelf life but
> isn't very good IMO, and does not occur in nature. I take hydroxocobalamin
> from biocare.
>
> http://www.strokedoctor.com/vitamin_b12.htm

From the url above:

"Vitamin B12 is found in algae, peas, clover, alfalfa, mustard, egg
yolk, chedder cheese, sardines, herring, anchovies, calve's liver,
haddock, salmon, and cow's milk."

All of the health experts I have listened to imploring people to take
b-12 have also made it a point that there are no reliable and natural
sources of b-12.

The latest date on the citations for this article are the year 2000,
with most of the citations being from the mid 1990s. Given both of
these things I am getting a bit skeptical.

The information these people gave me came in 2004.

Steve

--
Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Steve

John Coleman wrote:
> Steve, that was likely some cyanocobalamin, it has a long shelf life but
> isn't very good IMO, and does not occur in nature. I take hydroxocobalamin
> from biocare.
>
> http://www.strokedoctor.com/vitamin_b12.htm

From the url above:

--
Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Steve

John Coleman wrote:
> Steve, that was likely some cyanocobalamin, it has a long shelf life but
> isn't very good IMO, and does not occur in nature. I take hydroxocobalamin
> from biocare.
>
> http://www.strokedoctor.com/vitamin_b12.htm

Is hydroxocobalamin all vegan?

Isn't that the injectable form of b-12 and aren't injections only
necessary for people with absorption issues?

That is what most of the articles say.

A friend of mine on a local mailing list was suffering from chronic
fibromalgyia pain for years. We were discussing Jack Norris' b-12
article when she found an article about her disease and b-12. She
started taking plain old cyanocobalamin and chronic pain she had for
years vanished.

I know to the readers here this is just another worthless testimonial,
but I mention it because I know this person, to me it is not just text
on the internet. Additionally, the url above implies that
cyanocobalamin is ineffective and with my friend, with Alex Hershaft (
the first testimonial in this thread, and a person local to me as well)
that cyancobalamin worked.

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Steve

John Coleman wrote:
> Steve, that was likely some cyanocobalamin, it has a long shelf life but
> isn't very good IMO, and does not occur in nature. I take hydroxocobalamin
> from biocare.
>
> http://www.strokedoctor.com/vitamin_b12.htm

Is hydroxocobalamin all vegan?

Isn't that the injectable form of b-12 and aren't injections only
necessary for people with absorption issues?

That is what most of the articles say.

A friend of mine on a local mailing list was suffering from chronic
fibromalgyia pain for years. We were discussing Jack Norris' b-12
article when she found an article about her disease and b-12. She
started taking plain old cyanocobalamin and chronic pain she had for
years vanished.

I know to the readers here this is just another worthless testimonial,
but I mention it because I know this person, to me it is not just text
on the internet. Additionally, the url above implies that
cyanocobalamin is ineffective and with my friend, with Alex Hershaft (
the first testimonial in this thread, and a person local to me as well)
that cyancobalamin worked.

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Steve

John Coleman wrote:
> Steve, that was likely some cyanocobalamin, it has a long shelf life but
> isn't very good IMO, and does not occur in nature. I take hydroxocobalamin
> from biocare.
>
> http://www.strokedoctor.com/vitamin_b12.htm

Just found this in the appendix of Jack Norris' B-12 paper at
veganhealth.org:

http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/noncyanob12

Steve

--
Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

John Coleman

Yes, the author is a DO, and I suspect has a bias. Cyanocobalamin definately
prevents deficiency, and is active and probably fine for most people. I
don't think all of the issues raised in the article are wrong though. I
found the claim that it is carcinogenic when cooked novel, but I wonder if
he has twisted the facts a little there as well?

I suspect only a real expert will be able to pull out the facts from this
article. I wrote to the author to ask about his claim that B12 is in plant
foods as well.

John

> The latest date on the citations for this article are the year 2000,
> with most of the citations being from the mid 1990s. Given both of
> these things I am getting a bit skeptical.
>
> The information these people gave me came in 2004.
>
> Steve

John Coleman

Yes, the author is a DO, and I suspect has a bias. Cyanocobalamin definately
prevents deficiency, and is active and probably fine for most people. I
don't think all of the issues raised in the article are wrong though. I
found the claim that it is carcinogenic when cooked novel, but I wonder if
he has twisted the facts a little there as well?

I suspect only a real expert will be able to pull out the facts from this
article. I wrote to the author to ask about his claim that B12 is in plant
foods as well.

John

> The latest date on the citations for this article are the year 2000,
> with most of the citations being from the mid 1990s. Given both of
> these things I am getting a bit skeptical.
>
> The information these people gave me came in 2004.
>
> Steve

John Coleman

> Is hydroxocobalamin all vegan?

Yes, all B12 is made by bacteria. They don't extract it from meat.

I don't think testimonials are worthless, just potentially misleading.

John

John Coleman

> Is hydroxocobalamin all vegan?

Yes, all B12 is made by bacteria. They don't extract it from meat.

I don't think testimonials are worthless, just potentially misleading.

John

Steve

John Coleman wrote:
>>Is hydroxocobalamin all vegan?

> Yes, all B12 is made by bacteria. They don't extract it from meat.

But other things they may mix the b-12 with in supplements may not be vegan.

> I don't think testimonials are worthless, just potentially misleading.

I agree.

I have the luxury of knowing some of the people behind the testimonials
this time. That, the appendix I quoted from Jack Norris' article, the
dates of the citation in the article vs the contemporary nature of the
experts I talked to, and the articles erroneous claims that peas, clover
etc have b-12 give me a degree of skepticism about the article as well
as making me feel no need to change to a more expensive form of vitamin b-12

Steve

--
Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

An open letter to General Mills, Inc. Bread Basket[_11_] General Cooking 0 30-05-2015 05:47 AM
Open letter to Amanda Laurie Vegan 36 14-08-2008 06:56 PM
An Open Letter To Andrew Chung Khubla General Cooking 22 26-03-2006 04:17 AM
Open letter to Ms. Rebecca Brown (Ore) Alex Chaihorsky Tea 28 27-06-2005 12:09 PM
An open letter to E. Carl Speros st.helier Wine 19 25-12-2003 08:06 PM