Rubystars

Default Report on manioc soup

Well I went out and got the stuff to make this soup with today and I made it
tonight, and it was good.

I changed it a little though.

I got the yucca root/manioc/cassava and I peeled it, cut it into chunks, and
grated it and soaked it in water a few times and drained off most of the
milky juice instead of cutting it into chunks. I don't want to eat too much
of that milky juice because one time a few months back I made the mistake of
taking a bite of the manioc raw and it made my mouth go numb... so it just
makes me feel better to get rid of a lot of that juice. It probalby wouldn't
hurt anything anyway though since its cooked later on in the recipe, but
this is just what I do with it.

Anyway it was a lot of work, but it was worth it when I had the root all
grated up in a bowl and ready to use.

I took one big onion, the recipe calls for two, but I used one. It probably
would have been better with two, or at least one and a half, but since it
was a big onion (Mayan Sweet variety), I didn't want to overpower the soup
so I only used one. I diced that up and then threw it into a big frying pan
and boiled it with some of the Swanson vegetable broth (out of a can) until
the onion was translucent.

I dumped the onion in a big pot, drained the manioc which I'd left soaking
in some more water, dumped that in, then I poured the rest of the can of
vegetable broth in and four cups of water.

I boiled it for about 8 minutes. It didn't take 20 like the recipe says
because the recipe talks about whole chunks and mine was all grated up so it
got soft a lot faster.

Then I just put it into the blender, 1/3 at a time, and poured each 1/3 into
another bowl as I did it.

It does need some salt and pepper but it has a good taste.

I keep thinking it needs something else though, but then maybe I"m just not
used to soups like this. I'm used to the regular kind with chunks of food
inside broth rather than the blended kind.

It made a lot of soup, so I'm happy.

If you do make it it's probably a good idea to make sure your pets (or
companion animals, if you prefer that term) don't get into any of the root,
juice, or soup, because it may be poisonous to them. Onion isn't good for
dogs either but I'm really concerned about what the manioc might do to them
or to cats or other pets if they ate it. I was constantly cleaning up to
make sure mine didn't eat any of the little grated pieces that fell to the
floor.

Here's the recipe that was on a link that Mr. Falafel gave me:

Yucca Root Soup Or Manioc Soup
Barbara Zimmerman -

Serving Size: 4

1 Yucca root -- peeled and cut into pieces
5 teaspoons Organic Gourmet veggie broth
5 cups Water (more if needed to cover the veggies)
2 Onions -- chopped and sauted in some of the broth
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil the yucca root pieces in the broth until tender (about 20 minutes)
along with the sauted onion pieces.
When tender, put into the blender a portion at a time.

It thickens by itself. Add salt and pepper to taste.

It made about 4-5 good sized bowls of soup.
Serve with some good bread

MrFalafel

"Rubystars" > wrote in message gy.com>...
> [...]
> or to cats or other pets if they ate it. I was constantly cleaning up to
> make sure mine didn't eat any of the little grated pieces that fell to the
> floor.
>
> Here's the recipe that was on a link that Mr. Falafel gave me:
>
> Yucca Root Soup Or Manioc Soup
> Barbara Zimmerman -
>
> Serving Size: 4
>
> 1 Yucca root -- peeled and cut into pieces
> 5 teaspoons Organic Gourmet veggie broth
> 5 cups Water (more if needed to cover the veggies)
> 2 Onions -- chopped and sauted in some of the broth
> Salt and pepper to taste
>
> Boil the yucca root pieces in the broth until tender (about 20 minutes)
> along with the sauted onion pieces.
> When tender, put into the blender a portion at a time.
>
> It thickens by itself. Add salt and pepper to taste.
>
> It made about 4-5 good sized bowls of soup.

I'll bet the 'cook the onion in stock' part is more for people who are
avoiding oil/fat. I think I'd enjoy the flavour of cooking the onion
in a bit of oil until translucent and then adding the yucca/water with
some stock powder to simmer.
Rubystars

"MrFalafel" > wrote in message
<snip>
> I'll bet the 'cook the onion in stock' part is more for people who are
> avoiding oil/fat. I think I'd enjoy the flavour of cooking the onion
> in a bit of oil until translucent and then adding the yucca/water with
> some stock powder to simmer.

Yeah that does sound like it would give it more flavor. Maybe even some
onion powder
might help.

Manioc is gummy by nature and that was good last night but this morning I
heated up a bowl and
I had trouble eating it because it made me think of a spit bowl at the
dentist's office. Maybe I'm just
not really used to eating manioc yet.

I still think the recipe was good, but if I make it again I'll make sure
that I make less at once so I don't leave it
in the fridge overnight.

-Rubystars

Recipe Report: Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Apples and Chipotle from Rick Bayless Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 0 02-12-2011 03:35 AM
A report Dave Bugg Barbecue 21 31-10-2004 12:08 AM
Cauliflower soup report Rubystars Vegan 8 28-03-2004 08:51 PM
Yuca/cassava/manioc and toxins Harlan Messinger General Cooking 10 31-12-2003 12:28 AM
Yuca/cassava/manioc and toxins Rich McCormack Mexican Cooking 1 15-11-2003 04:53 PM