Jai

Default Protein question

I am seeking suggestions for obtaining veggie based proteins. Soy is a
tough one.....it doesn't like me. Other suggestions? Something that
doesn't also have added sugars......I don't really need the protein for
taste.......I'll mix it with a banana or even just water.

Sounds like I'm asking for a powder? Yes and No......I am seeking other
options also. What veg has the highest protein besides soy?

Wheat gluten...maybe?

Thanks.

ShantiP1

You can buy protein powders at the health food store. You might try more than
one to find the one you like. I use one that I mix with fruit and crushed ice
and it makes a drink that tastes like a vanilla milk shake. If I want more
calories I put in some fruit - usually some banana.
Nuts also contain protein as does wheat and probably some other grains. The
body doesn't need a great deal of protein. In fact, too much is to hard on the
kidneys.
The Hunza people who can live to be well over hundred eat very little protein
-- maybe 2 oz of chicken a week. The mainstay of their diet, as I have read, is
unleavened bread, fruit, yogurt, and some vegetables.

regards,
June
Michael Balarama

"Jai" > wrote in message
> I am seeking suggestions for obtaining veggie based proteins. Soy is a
> tough one.....it doesn't like me. Other suggestions? Something that
> doesn't also have added sugars......I don't really need the protein for
> taste.......I'll mix it with a banana or even just water.
>
> Sounds like I'm asking for a powder? Yes and No......I am seeking other
> options also. What veg has the highest protein besides soy?
>
> Wheat gluten...maybe?
>
> Thanks.

whey in protein drinks etc.

usual suspect

Jai wrote:
> I am seeking suggestions for obtaining veggie based proteins.

Why? Are you another "vegan" geek trying to add some muscle mass so you
can look like an athletic meat eater?

> Soy is a
> tough one.....it doesn't like me. Other suggestions?

Your best options in terms of protein powders will either be soy-based,
whey-based (non-veggie), or egg white-based (non-veggie). Supplement
tablets will also note if they're from those sources, and those without
full source info on the label (amino acids, etc.) are likely derived
from other animal products (though some are also vegetable-based).

> Something that
> doesn't also have added sugars......I don't really need the protein for
> taste.......I'll mix it with a banana or even just water.

Most of the protein powders contain some kind of sweetener, but the
trend over the last few years has been to artificially sweeten them.
Splenda is the rage not only with low-carb people, but also with gym rats.

> Sounds like I'm asking for a powder? Yes and No......I am seeking other
> options also. What veg has the highest protein besides soy?

All beans and nuts are high in protein, but nuts also have a lot of fat
(so does soy). On a protein:weight ratio basis, lettuces and asparagus
are high, as are mushrooms. The problem with getting enough (or
supplementary) protein from such vegetables (or fungi, in the case of
mushrooms) is one must over-eat them to get the amount of protein. Soy
will likely be your fall-back. Your body will eventually adjust to it if
you're not allergic or reactive. You may try adding more tofu and/or
tempeh if the protein powders are unbearable.

> Wheat gluten...maybe?

Maybe not. Wheat gluten is okay for most people in moderation. Nature
meant us to eat the entire part of the wheat, not refined white flour
and not just the gluey, sticky protein-carb matrix we call gluten.

Try eating a well-balanced diet, and seek professional nutritional
advice if you have underlying health issues to address. If you're trying
to gain muscle mass, you really should alter your diet and include foods
that are congruent with that. Over-consumption of protein is not good
for the body, particularly your kidneys. Are you after good health or
just a certain aesthetic?

Laurie

http://ecologos.org/pp.htm
http://ecologos.org/pro.htm

> Soy is a ...

See Soy section at
http://ecologos.org/ttdd.html

> Wheat gluten...maybe?

See Opiod section at
http://ecologos.org/ttdd.html

Laurie

Protein william445 General 1 16-05-2012 06:23 AM
Hemp protein vs. Whey protein ImStillMags General Cooking 6 17-08-2010 07:57 PM
Protein source for breakfast other than eggs, meat, or protein powder amandaF General Cooking 177 09-03-2009 07:33 PM
Question about protein (was ) The Christmas gift for all theNations Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD General Cooking 0 17-01-2005 05:44 AM
Plant Protein vs Animal Protein [email protected] Vegan 2 09-01-2005 05:32 AM