googlesux

Default Thanksgiving Strategy

Another question from a newbie. How do you all handle going to someone
else's house for Thanksgiving dinner (or any other meal)? Do you bring
along a microwavable container filled with your oen vegan meal and ask
to use the microwave? Or do you just eat whatever you can from the
meal that's served? If it's thanksgiving, it'd be nice to have some
mock turkey, so how do you handle it? I don't want to offend, but also
don't want to compromise.

Thanks. I'm sure this is a common question, so sorry to bore anyone.
usual suspect

googlesux wrote:

> Another question from a newbie. How do you all handle going to someone
> else's house for Thanksgiving dinner (or any other meal)?

Any food offered with love and in the spirit of gratitude is holy. To
deny it is to profane all that is good, blessed, and right. Surely you
can find something offered that is edible despite your peculiar
obsessions with food.

> Do you bring
> along a microwavable container filled with your oen vegan meal and ask
> to use the microwave?

Do you give thanks by isolating yourself from others? Do you seek to
profane that which is offered to all in attendance out of love and
gratitude to a higher power?

> Or do you just eat whatever you can from the
> meal that's served?

Yes.

> If it's thanksgiving, it'd be nice to have some
> mock turkey, so how do you handle it?

I'm sure you can discuss well beforehand your insecurities and peculiar
food obsessions with the person in whose home you will be guest. Perhaps
that person will sanctify a fake turkey -- a mockery to God -- to
satisfy your eating disorder. What better way, though, than to show
others that one can be a cheerful participant of the rest of the
thanksgiving feast without eating the bird.

> I don't want to offend, but also
> don't want to compromise.

What's wrong with compromise on one bloody day of the entire year?
Surely love of God and family outweighs the specious issue of veganism
the entire year.

> Thanks. I'm sure this is a common question, so sorry to bore anyone.

It is common, and it is boring. That's okay, most people here are both.
Why are you a vegan?

Ipse dixit

"googlesux" > wrote in message om...
> Another question from a newbie. How do you all handle going to someone
> else's house for Thanksgiving dinner (or any other meal)? Do you bring
> along a microwavable container filled with your oen vegan meal and ask
> to use the microwave? Or do you just eat whatever you can from the
> meal that's served? If it's thanksgiving, it'd be nice to have some
> mock turkey, so how do you handle it? I don't want to offend, but also
> don't want to compromise.

If the host isn't already aware of your vegan diet, a quiet word
with whoever's preparing the meal in the kitchen before the meal
is served will save a lot of awkward questions during the meal
from the other guests. Most hosts will only be too pleased to
accomodate your diet, I'm sure.

> Thanks. I'm sure this is a common question, so sorry to bore anyone.

googlesux

usual suspect > wrote in message > ...
> googlesux wrote:
>
> > Another question from a newbie. How do you all handle going to someone
> > else's house for Thanksgiving dinner (or any other meal)?

> Any food offered with love and in the spirit of gratitude is holy. To
> deny it is to profane all that is good, blessed, and right. Surely you
> can find something offered that is edible despite your peculiar
> obsessions with food.

<snip>

You should have cross-posted this to rec.religion.crackpot

Xaximus

"googlesux" > wrote in message
om...
> Another question from a newbie. How do you all handle going to someone
> else's house for Thanksgiving dinner (or any other meal)? Do you bring
> along a microwavable container filled with your oen vegan meal and ask
> to use the microwave? Or do you just eat whatever you can from the
> meal that's served? If it's thanksgiving, it'd be nice to have some
> mock turkey, so how do you handle it? I don't want to offend, but also
> don't want to compromise.
>
> Thanks. I'm sure this is a common question, so sorry to bore anyone.

As a vegan, eating and communing at Thanksgiving with non-believers requires
a lot of strategy. First, prepare lots of vegan literature and condemn your
hosts loudly for their violations of your philosophy. They do not know what
harm and suffering they are causing to the animal world and their health so
you must educate them. When the turkey leg is raised to mouth, jump up and
make a speech as to why eating that turkey leg is bad and how evil your
hosts are for doing so. In general, make yourself as big of a pain as you
can and demand compliance with your beliefs, or better yet, completely
denounce your friends and leave if they do not cater to you specially.

usual suspect

googlesux wrote:
>>>Another question from a newbie. How do you all handle going to someone
>>>else's house for Thanksgiving dinner (or any other meal)?

>>Any food offered with love and in the spirit of gratitude is holy. To
>>deny it is to profane all that is good, blessed, and right. Surely you
>>can find something offered that is edible despite your peculiar
>>obsessions with food.

> <snip>
>
> You should have cross-posted this to rec.religion.crackpot

It's your crackpot religion which has led to the eating disorder which
has put you in a dilemma that doesn't affect ordinary people of ordinary
tastes. You're the cause of the dilemma, and the source of Thanksgiving
conflict. Grow up, stop whining, and rise above your petty selfishness.
Cheerfully eat from what's available with a grateful heart.

PS: You really do profane that which is holy by rejecting that which has
been blessed, and even more so when you resort to fake foods like mock
turkey.

El stinky

"Ipse dixit" > wrote in message

> "googlesux" > wrote in message

om...
> > Another question from a newbie. How do you all handle going to someone
> > else's house for Thanksgiving dinner (or any other meal)? Do you bring
> > along a microwavable container filled with your oen vegan meal and ask
> > to use the microwave? Or do you just eat whatever you can from the
> > meal that's served? If it's thanksgiving, it'd be nice to have some
> > mock turkey, so how do you handle it? I don't want to offend, but also
> > don't want to compromise.
> >

> If the host isn't already aware of your vegan diet, a quiet word
> with whoever's preparing the meal in the kitchen before the meal
> is served will save a lot of awkward questions during the meal
> from the other guests. Most hosts will only be too pleased to
> accomodate your diet, I'm sure.
>
> > Thanks. I'm sure this is a common question, so sorry to bore anyone.

I would say a quiet casual word at invitation or a couple of weeks before
the meal is prepared is adequate. We should never expect anyone to feel
compelled to accomodate our diets and surprising someone as they are
preparing a meal is just going to add to an already stressful day for the
person who opens their home to you. You should never assume that YOU are
going to be the only person there who is veg/vegan, esp in todays world. The
thanksgivings in our homes are half veg/vegan half traditional for over a
decade now. If you let the host know in advance you can even make a strategy
with other guests. Thanksgiving is more tolerable if you work with other
people to accomodate everyone.You can do any of these quietly and without
prejudice.

- Insist on bringing over a side dish. People may enjoy it even before they
ask what it is. You can eat this as your main meal.

-Offer to help cook the meal and maybe you can prepare certain items without
ingredients that compromise your diet or beliefs. Bring over some vegetable
broth and some vegan sausage type stuff for stuffing. Make alternative
versions of traditional favorites. For the last two years my vegan stuffing
was the first to go, even among the bird eaters in the family. I have to
make a bigger pile this year.

- if you dont want to explain yourself to your distant hunter-cousin just
say "oh i've been making the rounds today and i'm stuffed" and leave it at
that.

There are plenty of traditional items at thanksgiving and other holdays that
are totally vegan in nature esp in the south. Bean and potato type dishes
are as old as turkey gnawing. Read up on those items and go nuts. You'll
find that holidays wont be as scary and as long as you're not condescending
or preachy you may find people will enjoy the items you've prepared.

Ipse dixit

"El stinky" > wrote in message news:Noynb.84096$vj2.74664@fed1read06...
> "Ipse dixit" > wrote in message
> >
> > "googlesux" > wrote in message

> om...
> > > Another question from a newbie. How do you all handle going to someone
> > > else's house for Thanksgiving dinner (or any other meal)? Do you bring
> > > along a microwavable container filled with your oen vegan meal and ask
> > > to use the microwave? Or do you just eat whatever you can from the
> > > meal that's served? If it's thanksgiving, it'd be nice to have some
> > > mock turkey, so how do you handle it? I don't want to offend, but also
> > > don't want to compromise.
> > >

> > If the host isn't already aware of your vegan diet, a quiet word
> > with whoever's preparing the meal in the kitchen before the meal
> > is served will save a lot of awkward questions during the meal
> > from the other guests. Most hosts will only be too pleased to
> > accomodate your diet, I'm sure.
> >
> > > Thanks. I'm sure this is a common question, so sorry to bore anyone.

> I would say a quiet casual word at invitation or a couple of weeks before
> the meal is prepared is adequate. We should never expect anyone to feel
> compelled to accomodate our diets and surprising someone as they are
> preparing a meal is just going to add to an already stressful day for the
> person who opens their home to you. You should never assume that YOU are
> going to be the only person there who is veg/vegan, esp in todays world. The
> thanksgivings in our homes are half veg/vegan half traditional for over a
> decade now. If you let the host know in advance you can even make a strategy
> with other guests. Thanksgiving is more tolerable if you work with other
> people to accomodate everyone.You can do any of these quietly and without
> prejudice.
>

> - Insist on bringing over a side dish. People may enjoy it even before they
> ask what it is. You can eat this as your main meal.
>
> -Offer to help cook the meal and maybe you can prepare certain items without
> ingredients that compromise your diet or beliefs. Bring over some vegetable
> broth and some vegan sausage type stuff for stuffing. Make alternative
> versions of traditional favorites. For the last two years my vegan stuffing
> was the first to go, even among the bird eaters in the family. I have to
> make a bigger pile this year.
>
> - if you dont want to explain yourself to your distant hunter-cousin just
> say "oh i've been making the rounds today and i'm stuffed" and leave it at
> that.
>
> There are plenty of traditional items at thanksgiving and other holdays that
> are totally vegan in nature esp in the south. Bean and potato type dishes
> are as old as turkey gnawing. Read up on those items and go nuts. You'll
> find that holidays wont be as scary and as long as you're not condescending
> or preachy you may find people will enjoy the items you've prepared.

That covers just about everything. I did give some advice myself,
but to be totally honest, my best advice would be to arrive late and
avoid the meal completely. What happens if you're asked to help
wash the dishes? What new kind of hell would that be?

Carey

"googlesux" > wrote in message
om...
> Another question from a newbie. How do you all handle going to someone
> else's house for Thanksgiving dinner (or any other meal)? Do you bring
> along a microwavable container filled with your oen vegan meal and ask
> to use the microwave? Or do you just eat whatever you can from the
> meal that's served? If it's thanksgiving, it'd be nice to have some
> mock turkey, so how do you handle it? I don't want to offend, but also
> don't want to compromise.
>
> Thanks. I'm sure this is a common question, so sorry to bore anyone.

Bring along some side dishes, and some mock turkey, and make sure you bring
enough to share. It's all about bounty and thankfulness; no need to make a
big deal about it. Just offer your stuff along with everything else and
it'll add to the variety of dishes everyone gets to eat.

Carey

googlesux

usual suspect > wrote in message >...

> >>Any food offered with love and in the spirit of gratitude is holy. To
> >>deny it is to profane all that is good, blessed, and right. Surely you
> >>can find something offered that is edible despite your peculiar
> >>obsessions with food.

> > <snip>
> >
> > You should have cross-posted this to rec.religion.crackpot

> It's your crackpot religion which has led to the eating disorder which
> has put you in a dilemma that doesn't affect ordinary people of ordinary
> tastes. You're the cause of the dilemma, and the source of Thanksgiving
> conflict. Grow up, stop whining, and rise above your petty selfishness.
> Cheerfully eat from what's available with a grateful heart.
>
> PS: You really do profane that which is holy by rejecting that which has
> been blessed, and even more so when you resort to fake foods like mock
> turkey.

Coo-koo.
Megan Milligan

I would offer to bring my own "interesting vegan dish" to the meal for
everyone sitting down to dinner to try. try to make it a main dish like a
veggie or rice casserole or something similar so *you have a main dish to
eat from. i'm sure there would be veggies or some other side dish at the
meal you could eat, and have your main dish blessed right along with the
other food. this has worked well for me in the 2-1/2 years i've been
vegetarian/vegan.

Megan

MrFalafel

"Megan Milligan" > wrote in message news:<cs5ob.107149$La.71829@fed1read02>...
> I would offer to bring my own "interesting vegan dish" to the meal for
> everyone sitting down to dinner to try. try to make it a main dish like a
> veggie or rice casserole or something similar so *you have a main dish to
> eat from. i'm sure there would be veggies or some other side dish at the
> meal you could eat, and have your main dish blessed right along with the
> other food. this has worked well for me in the 2-1/2 years i've been
> vegetarian/vegan.
>
> Megan

I once brought vegan pumpkin pie to a family get-together and my
grandfather 'accidentily' had some. I asked if he liked it and he said
it was pretty good. Then I told him it was made with tofu and he
almost fell over.
Megan Milligan

"MrFalafel" > wrote in message
om...
> I once brought vegan pumpkin pie to a family get-together and my
> grandfather 'accidentily' had some. I asked if he liked it and he said
> it was pretty good. Then I told him it was made with tofu and he
> almost fell over.

heh, the same thing goes for a vegan blueberry cheesecake I made from "tofu
quick & easy" by louise hagler.

M.