Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bizarre Doritos Marketing Strategy

I recently saw a new type of Doritos, packaged as
though it were some kind of experimental new version.
It came in an black bag, labelled X-13D. Normally,
I'd jump at the chance to try something new and possibly
experimental, but I read the ingrediants list and
it looked like they were emptying out their
chemical storeroom. Seeing it had beef extract
in it was enough to steer me clear of that product.

There was a website mentioned on the bag,
www.snackstrongproductions.com, but it doesn't
work with my browser. I haven't a clue what's
on that site, and not enough interest to try
harder.

Anyhow, I thought it was a weird product.
I wonder if it's been introduced everywhere,
or whether it's truly experimental and only
being tried in a few markets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote in
:

> I recently saw a new type of Doritos, packaged as
> though it were some kind of experimental new version.
> It came in an black bag, labelled X-13D. Normally,
> I'd jump at the chance to try something new and possibly
> experimental, but I read the ingrediants list and
> it looked like they were emptying out their
> chemical storeroom. Seeing it had beef extract
> in it was enough to steer me clear of that product.
>
> There was a website mentioned on the bag,
> www.snackstrongproductions.com, but it doesn't
> work with my browser. I haven't a clue what's
> on that site, and not enough interest to try
> harder.

it's all Flash, but basicly says: Get it. Taste it. Name it.
then refers you to another site (also Flash) where you can
name it, make a commercial (write the dialog apparently) etc.
looks like it is intended to appeal to teen boys.

> Anyhow, I thought it was a weird product.
> I wonder if it's been introduced everywhere,
> or whether it's truly experimental and only
> being tried in a few markets.

i haven't seen it here (NH) yet, but i rarely go down the
chips aisle in the store either. i've never liked Doritos.
lee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:
> Mark Thorson > wrote in
> :
>
>> I recently saw a new type of Doritos, packaged as
>> though it were some kind of experimental new version.
>> It came in an black bag, labelled X-13D. Normally,
>> I'd jump at the chance to try something new and possibly
>> experimental, but I read the ingrediants list and
>> it looked like they were emptying out their
>> chemical storeroom. Seeing it had beef extract
>> in it was enough to steer me clear of that product.
>>
>> There was a website mentioned on the bag,
>> www.snackstrongproductions.com, but it doesn't
>> work with my browser. I haven't a clue what's
>> on that site, and not enough interest to try
>> harder.

> it's all Flash, but basicly says: Get it. Taste it. Name it.
> then refers you to another site (also Flash) where you can
> name it, make a commercial (write the dialog apparently) etc.
> looks like it is intended to appeal to teen boys.
>
>> Anyhow, I thought it was a weird product.
>> I wonder if it's been introduced everywhere,
>> or whether it's truly experimental and only
>> being tried in a few markets.

> i haven't seen it here (NH) yet, but i rarely go down the
> chips aisle in the store either. i've never liked Doritos.
> lee

I only like the buffalo ranch ones.

--
-Gina in Italy

Currently Reading:

Micah by Laurell K. Hamilton
Cold Fire by Dean Koontz

Stitching WIP:

Rosemarkie by Long Dog
St. Sylvestre by Long Dog
St. Georges by Long Dog

Soon to start:

Pompeji Garden Mandela by Chatelaine
Tuscan Town Mandela by Chatelaine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:

> Mark Thorson > wrote in
> :
>

>>I recently saw a new type of Doritos, packaged as
>>though it were some kind of experimental new version.
>>It came in an black bag, labelled X-13D. Normally,
>>I'd jump at the chance to try something new and possibly
>>experimental, but I read the ingrediants list and
>>it looked like they were emptying out their
>>chemical storeroom. Seeing it had beef extract
>>in it was enough to steer me clear of that product.
>>
>>There was a website mentioned on the bag,
>>www.snackstrongproductions.com, but it doesn't
>>work with my browser. I haven't a clue what's
>>on that site, and not enough interest to try
>>harder.

> it's all Flash, but basicly says: Get it. Taste it. Name it.
> then refers you to another site (also Flash) where you can
> name it, make a commercial (write the dialog apparently) etc.
> looks like it is intended to appeal to teen boys.
>

>>Anyhow, I thought it was a weird product.
>>I wonder if it's been introduced everywhere,
>>or whether it's truly experimental and only
>>being tried in a few markets.

> i haven't seen it here (NH) yet, but i rarely go down the
> chips aisle in the store either. i've never liked Doritos.
> lee

You can also click on "Clue Generator" which
takes you to a game. I guess you get the clue
if you win the game. I didn't.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Wed, 16 May 2007 12:55:59 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
>

>>There was a website mentioned on the bag,
>>www.snackstrongproductions.com, but it doesn't
>>work with my browser. I haven't a clue what's
>>on that site, and not enough interest to try
>>harder.

> They ran out of flavor names. Now they have something new and
> they don't know what to call it.
>
> I'm boycotting all Frito Lay products until they bring back
> Tabasco flavored Fritos or Doritos.
>
> This isn't the first time they've done a promotion like this.
>
> -sw

I loved the barbeque flavor. It was only out for
a very short time. It's the best they've ever
made. I was really ****ed when they discontinued
it. :-(

Kate