Old 14-03-2009, 12:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pizza baking strategy

I normally make a 12 inch round pie and bake it on my round stone.
I'd like to make a large pizza for company and thought I might use a
13 inch pan and make an oblong pie. Since the dough won't be going
directly onto that stone, what adjustments should I make in time and
temperature? Any other suggestions for avoiding a soggy bottom?

Thanks.

Old 14-03-2009, 02:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 13, 9:52*pm, "Theron" wrote:
"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message

In article
,
wrote:

I normally make a 12 inch round pie and bake it on my round stone.
I'd like to make a large pizza for company and thought I might use a
13 inch pan and make an oblong pie. *Since the dough won't be going
directly onto that stone, what adjustments should I make in time and
temperature? *Any other suggestions for avoiding *a soggy bottom?

Thanks.

This isn't what you want to hear and it doesn't answer your t&t
question, but I'd bake two smaller pizzas rather than one big one. *You
can make a couple different kinds and be eating one while the other
bakes. *Cut smaller pieces if you have to in order to make a piece
available to everyone on the first pass. *JMO.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

I agree. If you're used to a stone, a pan will change everything. As Barb
says, make two.

Ed.

Yeah - I've tried to think it thru. I can see myself having to jump
up and down to eat, get that other pie in the oven (and I use a two
stage baking method too.)

I guess it can't be helped. I COULD load on so much in the way of
toppings that no one would want more than a slice or two. I could
always slice it into ten rather than eight. I could load 'em up on
salad and some minestrone beforehand.

Thanks for the thoughts. I KNOW in my heart that going from stone
baked to pan would---well-- NOT be good.

Old 14-03-2009, 06:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 14, 11:39*am, sf wrote:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 07:00:08 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Yeah - I've tried to think it thru. *I can see myself having to jump
up and down to eat, get that other pie in the oven (and I use a two
stage baking method too.)

I guess it can't be helped. *I COULD load on so much in the way of
toppings that no one would want more than a slice or two. *I could
always slice it into ten rather than eight. *I could load 'em up on
salad and some minestrone beforehand.

Thanks for the thoughts. I KNOW in my heart that going from stone
baked to pan would---well-- NOT be good.

Why don't you get a larger "stone" or line your oven shelf with
unglazed quarry tiles? *I prefer tiles myself. *They even take on a
glossy black "nonstick" quality after enough uses, provided you don't
break them first.

Thanks, but not worth the trouble for the few times I'm inclined to
throw pizza parties.

baking stone for pizza sf[_9_] General Cooking 57 18-04-2012 10:14 PM
Baking cookies, cakes etc: ON pizza stone or on open rack? Kalmia General Cooking 6 20-12-2011 02:34 PM
Help: Pizza/Baking Stone Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman General Cooking 7 18-01-2006 04:21 PM
Pizza baking Your Name Baking 4 14-11-2003 03:48 AM
Thanksgiving Strategy googlesux Vegan 14 31-10-2003 06:43 AM