Posted to alt.food.vegan
MrFalafel MrFalafel is offline

Default Update on fish-free fish and chips

Fish-free fish & chips Updated: Now even easier and tastier!

Here's a recipe I came up with a few years ago to satisfy my deep-
fried food cravings. Wrap it up in newspaper and you'd be surprised
how much it's like the real thing!

Ingredients:

1 block of firm tofu (250 grams)
2-3 big potatoes, scrubbed, and cut into 'chip/french fry' pieces.
1 cup flour
1 tsp paprika
1 cup beer
oil
malt vinegar
cornflour/corn starch

Cut the tofu into big-finger size pieces. Place in a shallow dish and
cover with malt vinegar. Marinate for an hour or so.

Place chips on a baking sheet and sprinkle a bit of olive oil over
them and toss. Place in 200C oven for half an hour and then turn the
chips, cooking for another 15 minutes or so.

Meanwhile mix beer, flour & paprika together in a bowl. The batter
should be like a thick pancake consistancy. Add more flour/beer (if
neccessary) to get it right.

Place oil into a wok or deep fryer and heat to very hot, almost
smoking.

Place a good bit of cornflour/cornstarch in bowl.

Remove tofu from marinade, pat dry and dredge in cornflour, shake of
excess and then dredge in batter and place directly into hot oil, and
repeat with a few more tofu pieces. Flip while cooking to get them
golden brown all over. Drain on paper towels Repeat until all is
cooked.

Place chips on a platter with tofu on top. Serve with malt vinegar,
salt & pepper and ketchup.