Posted to alt.food.vegan
Justin E. Miller Justin E. Miller is offline

Default Update on fish-free fish and chips

MrFalafel,

I presume the tofu is drained and pressed? Also, since I don't know, is
a cup in Britain the same as a cup in the US?

Thanks,

Justin

MrFalafel wrote:
> Fish-free fish & chips Updated: Now even easier and tastier!
>
> Here's a recipe I came up with a few years ago to satisfy my deep-
> fried food cravings. Wrap it up in newspaper and you'd be surprised
> how much it's like the real thing!
>
> Ingredients:
>
> 1 block of firm tofu (250 grams)
> 2-3 big potatoes, scrubbed, and cut into 'chip/french fry' pieces.
> 1 cup flour
> 1 tsp paprika
> 1 cup beer
> oil
> malt vinegar
> cornflour/corn starch
>
> Cut the tofu into big-finger size pieces. Place in a shallow dish and
> cover with malt vinegar. Marinate for an hour or so.
>
> Place chips on a baking sheet and sprinkle a bit of olive oil over
> them and toss. Place in 200C oven for half an hour and then turn the
> chips, cooking for another 15 minutes or so.
>
> Meanwhile mix beer, flour & paprika together in a bowl. The batter
> should be like a thick pancake consistancy. Add more flour/beer (if
> neccessary) to get it right.
>
> Place oil into a wok or deep fryer and heat to very hot, almost
> smoking.
>
> Place a good bit of cornflour/cornstarch in bowl.
>
> Remove tofu from marinade, pat dry and dredge in cornflour, shake of
> excess and then dredge in batter and place directly into hot oil, and
> repeat with a few more tofu pieces. Flip while cooking to get them
> golden brown all over. Drain on paper towels Repeat until all is
> cooked.
>
> Place chips on a platter with tofu on top. Serve with malt vinegar,
> salt & pepper and ketchup.

FoodBanter.com Database Error
Database Error Database error
The FoodBanter.com database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.foodbanter.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.foodbanter.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.