Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fun With Fish 'n' Chips

Fun With Fish 'n' Chips
April 29, 2007

It was the deep fryer's "maiden voyage."

Being my first fish 'n' chips, I took my time.

It certainly was a fun mess and everything went well.

I twice deep fried the french fries and while good when fresh out of the
fryer, they lost crunch and dried out some in the oven while waiting for
the fish.

I did pause between "batches" to let the fryer return to temp.

Fish deep fried up great. The cod just melted in my mouth. Mild and flaky
fish. I malt vinegar'd the first two filets and that added a nice mild
tang. The third filet I used tartar sauce which overpowered the flavor of
the fish. The batter fried up to a nice light crispiness.

Alas, I didn't have newspaper to serve it on.

http://i13.tinypic.com/4tu7gqp.jpg

A fun dinner! Nothing to it.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 7:26 pm, Andy <q> wrote:
> Fun With Fish 'n' Chips
> April 29, 2007
>
> It was the deep fryer's "maiden voyage."
>
> Being my first fish 'n' chips, I took my time.
>
> It certainly was a fun mess and everything went well.
>
> I twice deep fried the french fries and while good when fresh out of the
> fryer, they lost crunch and dried out some in the oven while waiting for
> the fish.

The french fries are more perishable than the fish. Do the fish
first, so you get fresh outta the fryer chips.

> I did pause between "batches" to let the fryer return to temp.
>
> Fish deep fried up great. The cod just melted in my mouth. Mild and flaky
> fish. I malt vinegar'd the first two filets and that added a nice mild
> tang. The third filet I used tartar sauce which overpowered the flavor of
> the fish. The batter fried up to a nice light crispiness.

Fresh-squeezed lemon or lime is far better than any old malt vinegar,
and infinitely better than tartar sauce.

> Alas, I didn't have newspaper to serve it on.
>
> http://i13.tinypic.com/4tu7gqp.jpg
>
> A fun dinner! Nothing to it.
>
> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in :

> Alas, I didn't have newspaper to serve it on.

Make sure you use a 'white' paper to wrap the fish and chips in before you
wrap with newspaper.

> http://i13.tinypic.com/4tu7gqp.jpg

LOL!! I have the exact same sort of knives!!

> A fun dinner! Nothing to it.

Do the fish first next time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 02:51:26 +0000 (UTC), PeterL
> magnanimously proffered:

>Andy <q> wrote in :
>

>> Alas, I didn't have newspaper to serve it on.

>Make sure you use a 'white' paper to wrap the fish and chips in before you
>wrap with newspaper.

Absolutely ... the ink from yesterday's classifieds does nothing to
enhance the taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 19:26:08 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>Fun With Fish 'n' Chips
>April 29, 2007

<snip>

>Fish deep fried up great. The cod just melted in my mouth. Mild and flaky
>fish. I malt vinegar'd the first two filets and that added a nice mild
>tang. The third filet I used tartar sauce which overpowered the flavor of
>the fish. The batter fried up to a nice light crispiness.
>
>Alas, I didn't have newspaper to serve it on.
>
>http://i13.tinypic.com/4tu7gqp.jpg
>
>A fun dinner! Nothing to it.

Which recipe did you use for the batter?
Eggs or no eggs? Beer or no beer?
Both???

Did you use malt vingear?

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 19:26:08 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>Fun With Fish 'n' Chips
>April 29, 2007
>
>It was the deep fryer's "maiden voyage."
>
>Being my first fish 'n' chips, I took my time.
>
>It certainly was a fun mess and everything went well.
>
>I twice deep fried the french fries and while good when fresh out of the
>fryer, they lost crunch and dried out some in the oven while waiting for
>the fish.
>
>I did pause between "batches" to let the fryer return to temp.
>
>Fish deep fried up great. The cod just melted in my mouth. Mild and flaky
>fish. I malt vinegar'd the first two filets and that added a nice mild
>tang. The third filet I used tartar sauce which overpowered the flavor of
>the fish. The batter fried up to a nice light crispiness.
>
>Alas, I didn't have newspaper to serve it on.
>
>http://i13.tinypic.com/4tu7gqp.jpg
>
>A fun dinner! Nothing to it.
>
>Andy

Looks great Andy, and delicious. I'll bet it was fun.

I know this is authentic Andy. A photo without the Elmer's Glue in the
background is sure to be a fake. ;-)

Koko
---
Blog in progress
http://kokoscorner.blogspot.com
updated 4/14 Irish Pub page.

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:
> Andy <q> wrote in :
>
>> A fun dinner! Nothing to it.

> Do the fish first next time.

I was under the impression (possibly mistaken) the potatoes should be fried
first so as not to taste of fish.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Fun With Fish 'n' Chips
> April 29, 2007
>
> It was the deep fryer's "maiden voyage."
>
> Being my first fish 'n' chips, I took my time.
>
> http://i13.tinypic.com/4tu7gqp.jpg
>
> A fun dinner! Nothing to it.
>
> Andy

Hrrrmph! And since the idea came up in the course of our chat, did you save
any for moi? Good job!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> PeterL wrote:
>> Andy <q> wrote in :
>>
>>> A fun dinner! Nothing to it.

>> Do the fish first next time.

> I was under the impression (possibly mistaken) the potatoes should be
> fried first so as not to taste of fish.
>
> Jill

You can blanch/cookoff the chips first, do the fish and then as the fish
is draining, throw the chips in for the second time.

If the oil is fresh and kept at the right temp, and if the fish is
battered, the chips won't taste of fish.

If you've had chips that tasted like fish, the oil is *way* past it's
'use by date'!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Fun With Fish 'n' Chips
> April 29, 2007
>
> It was the deep fryer's "maiden voyage."
>
> Being my first fish 'n' chips, I took my time.
>
> It certainly was a fun mess and everything went well.
>
> I twice deep fried the french fries and while good when fresh out of the
> fryer, they lost crunch and dried out some in the oven while waiting for
> the fish.
>
> I did pause between "batches" to let the fryer return to temp.
>
> Fish deep fried up great. The cod just melted in my mouth. Mild and flaky
> fish. I malt vinegar'd the first two filets and that added a nice mild
> tang. The third filet I used tartar sauce which overpowered the flavor of
> the fish. The batter fried up to a nice light crispiness.
>
> Alas, I didn't have newspaper to serve it on.
>
> http://i13.tinypic.com/4tu7gqp.jpg
>
> A fun dinner! Nothing to it.
>
> Andy

Sounds good Andy...I love fish and chips!

--
"I'm thinking that if this dilemma grows any more horns, I'm going to
shoot it and put it up on the wall."

- Harry Dresden

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL said...

> Andy <q> wrote in :
>

>> Alas, I didn't have newspaper to serve it on.

> Make sure you use a 'white' paper to wrap the fish and chips in before

you
> wrap with newspaper.

I have had it served directly on newspaper once. I think printing inks are
vegetable oil based these days, so it "could" be OK if any rubbed off (??).

>> http://i13.tinypic.com/4tu7gqp.jpg

> LOL!! I have the exact same sort of knives!!

I got a box of them from an Outback steakhouse. You?

>> A fun dinner! Nothing to it.
>>

> Do the fish first next time.

I'll try the suggested "Round #1 chips, Fish, Round #2 chips" next time.

All that's left to do now is visit one of the pubs suggested by the manager
of Trader Joe's to see how close I came to authentic. After all, it HAS
been a decade or more between real and my Fish 'n' Chips.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

said...

>>A fun dinner! Nothing to it.
>>

> Which recipe did you use for the batter?
> Eggs or no eggs? Beer or no beer?
> Both???

sf,

1 cup AP flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp each cayenne pepper, white pepper
1/8 tsp Old Bay seasoning
12 oz. water (to thin/drippy batter)

No malt vinegar in the batter.

Truth be told, the flavor of the fish came through way better than any
detectable flavor of the crust.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

said...

> Looks great Andy, and delicious. I'll bet it was fun.
>
> I know this is authentic Andy. A photo without the Elmer's Glue in the
> background is sure to be a fake. ;-)
>
> Koko

Thanks! <vbg>

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Fun With Fish 'n' Chips
>> April 29, 2007
>>
>> It was the deep fryer's "maiden voyage."
>>
>> Being my first fish 'n' chips, I took my time.
>>
>> http://i13.tinypic.com/4tu7gqp.jpg
>>
>> A fun dinner! Nothing to it.
>>
>> Andy

> Hrrrmph! And since the idea came up in the course of our chat, did you
> save any for moi? Good job!
>
> Jill

The deep fryer with the temperature control (which was a little shy of
indicated temp), combined with the thermometer really helped!

I wanted to use up all the canola oil but it fell short of the fryer's fill
line so I added in peanut oil to it. I couldn't taste any oil in the
finished product but the grease was certainly present. That's part of the
charm that is fish'n'chips, right?

All that prep, cooking and cleanup time (about 2 casual hours) for a brief
15 minutes of dining... yeah, I'd do it again, for you!

Thanks,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne said...

> Sounds good Andy...I love fish and chips!

Thanks.

I actually slept better than usual! Go figure!?

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob wrote:

> Fresh-squeezed lemon or lime is far better than any old
> malt vinegar, and infinitely better than tartar sauce.

Very true. Just some lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 04:30:07 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

> said...
>
>>>A fun dinner! Nothing to it.
>>>

>> Which recipe did you use for the batter?
>> Eggs or no eggs? Beer or no beer?
>> Both???

>sf,
>
>1 cup AP flour
>1-1/2 tsp baking powder
>1/2 tsp salt
>1/4 tsp each cayenne pepper, white pepper
>1/8 tsp Old Bay seasoning
>12 oz. water (to thin/drippy batter)
>
>No malt vinegar in the batter.
>
>Truth be told, the flavor of the fish came through way better than any
>detectable flavor of the crust.

I know you didn't put it in the batter, but did you use malt
vinegar on the fried fish?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

said...

> I know you didn't put it in the batter, but did you use malt
> vinegar on the fried fish?

I know I didn't put it in the batter, but did you actually read my post?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in :

> PeterL said...
>
>> Andy <q> wrote in :
>>

>>> Alas, I didn't have newspaper to serve it on.

>> Make sure you use a 'white' paper to wrap the fish and chips in
>> before

> you
>> wrap with newspaper.

> I have had it served directly on newspaper once. I think printing inks
> are vegetable oil based these days, so it "could" be OK if any rubbed
> off (??).

They still taste like crap though.

http://www.kingofknives.com.au/

>>> A fun dinner! Nothing to it.
>>>

>> Do the fish first next time.

> I'll try the suggested "Round #1 chips, Fish, Round #2 chips" next
> time.
>
> All that's left to do now is visit one of the pubs suggested by the
> manager of Trader Joe's to see how close I came to authentic. After
> all, it HAS been a decade or more between real and my Fish 'n' Chips.

The last lot was over here, hey?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in :

> said...
>
>> I know you didn't put it in the batter, but did you use malt
>> vinegar on the fried fish?

> I know I didn't put it in the batter, but did you actually read my
>ost?
>
> Andy

It's quite obvious that she didn't.

This recipe is similar to the the one I use for fish'n'chips.

http://www.recipesource.com/side-dis...1/rec0109.html

If you want to be *really* decadent, coat the chips in batter as well
:-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL said...

> http://www.kingofknives.com.au/

I get stonewalled at a registration page for "a chance to shop for free."

http://kingofknives.admailasp.com/

Just what I always wanted!

Ya BUM!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in :

> PeterL said...
>
>> http://www.kingofknives.com.au/

> I get stonewalled at a registration page for "a chance to shop for

free."

To the right of that it says "We are currently building a new website"

FYF(uture)I.

> http://kingofknives.admailasp.com/
>
> Just what I always wanted!
>
> Ya BUM!!!

Whatever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL said...

> Andy <q> wrote in :
>
>> PeterL said...
>>
>>> http://www.kingofknives.com.au/

>> I get stonewalled at a registration page for "a chance to shop for

> free."
>
> To the right of that it says "We are currently building a new website"
>
> FYF(uture)I.
>

>> http://kingofknives.admailasp.com/
>>
>> Just what I always wanted!
>>
>> Ya BUM!!!
>>

> Whatever.

PeterL,

Whatever???

I didn't want to shop Australia! ****youverymuch! No matter the current FYF
(i) condition of the website you presented!!!

I only wanted to compare my knives with the ones you claimed matched!

You could've just posted a picture! Ya BUM!!!

How can I manage to post jpgs but you can't?

You sure know how to **** up a friendly post!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in :

> PeterL said...
>
>> Andy <q> wrote in :
>>
>>> PeterL said...

>>> I get stonewalled at a registration page for "a chance to shop for

>> free."
>>
>> To the right of that it says "We are currently building a new
>> website"
>>
>> FYF(uture)I.
>>

>>> http://kingofknives.admailasp.com/
>>>
>>> Just what I always wanted!
>>>
>>> Ya BUM!!!
>>>

>> Whatever.

> PeterL,
>
> Whatever???

Uh huh, whatever.

> I didn't want to shop Australia! ****youverymuch! No matter the
> current FYF (i) condition of the website you presented!!!

Keep your eye on it.

> I only wanted to compare my knives with the ones you claimed matched!
>
> You could've just posted a picture! Ya BUM!!!
>
> How can I manage to post jpgs but you can't?

Couldn't be arsed at 0144hrs.

> You sure know how to **** up a friendly post!

By swearing???

BTW, you should stop mentioning bums and fornication in the one post,
people will start to get the wrong idea about you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> PeterL wrote:

>>> Do the fish first next time.

>> I was under the impression (possibly mistaken) the potatoes should be
>> fried first so as not to taste of fish.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> You can blanch/cookoff the chips first, do the fish and then as the
> fish is draining, throw the chips in for the second time.

That's a good idea.

> If the oil is fresh and kept at the right temp, and if the fish is
> battered, the chips won't taste of fish.
>
> If you've had chips that tasted like fish, the oil is *way* past it's
> 'use by date'!!

Not me but I've heard of people complaining, wondering why their chips
tasted like fish. I haven't deep fried anything in at least 4 or 5 years so
personally I don't encounter the problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:14:52 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

> said...
>
>> I know you didn't put it in the batter, but did you use malt
>> vinegar on the fried fish?

> I know I didn't put it in the batter, but did you actually read my post?

Actually I did and obviously should have read it twice, but I was in a
hurry. Dammit all to hell, Spock. That person missed a crucial word.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 20:30:52 -0700, Koko wrote:

>I know this is authentic Andy. A photo without the Elmer's Glue in the
>background is sure to be a fake. ;-)

At the very least, we'd be wondering how he used it.

--
See return address to reply by email