Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dog Ma 1

Default Tea growing in England

"A cuppa, grown in England
First commercial tea crop sprouts in a tea-mad land"

http://www.boston.com/news/world/art...ngland?mode=PF

Might only be available free for another day or so.

-DM

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
danube

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 02:14:47 +0000, Dog Ma 1 wrote:

> "A cuppa, grown in England
> First commercial tea crop sprouts in a tea-mad land"
>
> http://www.boston.com/news/world/art...ngland?mode=PF
>
> Might only be available free for another day or so.
>
> -DM

In this article it says that tea consumption in America got a hit after
the Boston Tea Party, which was a protest against English taxes imposed on
the colonies. I think this statement has to be taken with a pinch of salt:
Two tea smugglers, one of them a Boston lawyer called Samual Adams the
other was John Hancock, saw their profits hit by cheap (tax-exempt)
British tea imports which undercut their smuggled tea from Holland. They
thus hired a bunch of ruffians who dressed up as Indians and they dumped
the tea from the British ships into the harbour. Insurgency was then the
outcome and a war was started (plus ca change) under the wrong
premises.

JB
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Derek

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 07:55:01 +0000, danube wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 02:14:47 +0000, Dog Ma 1 wrote:
>
>> "A cuppa, grown in England
>> First commercial tea crop sprouts in a tea-mad land"
>>
>> http://www.boston.com/news/world/art...ngland?mode=PF
>>
>> Might only be available free for another day or so.
>>
>> -DM

> In this article it says that tea consumption in America got a hit after
> the Boston Tea Party, which was a protest against English taxes imposed on
> the colonies. I think this statement has to be taken with a pinch of salt:
> Two tea smugglers, one of them a Boston lawyer called Samual Adams the
> other was John Hancock, saw their profits hit by cheap (tax-exempt)
> British tea imports which undercut their smuggled tea from Holland. They
> thus hired a bunch of ruffians who dressed up as Indians and they dumped
> the tea from the British ships into the harbour. Insurgency was then the
> outcome and a war was started (plus ca change) under the wrong
> premises.
>
> JB

Don't forget about the sugar tax that was messing with our Rum trade
in the Caribbean.

And I certainly wouldn't have wanted to have to pay for a stamp just
to get my diploma.

--
Derek

"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in
private and wash your hands afterwards." -- Robert Heinlein
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Kim

You can purchase the Tregothnan Estate tea (grown in England) from the
article he

http://www.tregothnantea.com/shop/product.asp?prodid=1

Has anyone tried it, I am most curious.