Captain Infinity

Default The perfect cup of tea

Some of you may remember my post to the coffee groups a while back about
my favorite way to make coffee. Well, I have since given up drinking
coffee in favor of tea, which is a far more soothing beverage. I have
been experimenting daily over the last several months and have finally
come across a method for making the perfect cup of tea, which I would
like to share with you.

First, you must realize that tea is more delicate than coffee, and
requires a more structured method of preparation. It is very easy to
prepare tea incorrectly, resulting in a bitter drink. Take your time.
Remember some hard and fast rules:

1) do not boil the water
2) add water to the tea, not tea to the water
3) monitor the sleeping time carefully

Here's how I prepare my tea:

First, I heat a cupful of water in the microwave. I use my "Happy
Birthday" cup because it holds a bit more water than the cup I use to
drink the tea. The tea itself will absorb this excess water. I use
bottled water because of the impurities in my local tap water. I heat
the cup of water for exactly 1 minute and 45 seconds. Longer than this
and the water will boil, which should be avoided. I turn the handle of
the "Happy Birthday" cup away from me when I put it in the microwave
because at the end of 1:45 the handle will be facing towards me, and I
won't have to touch the hot cup, just the cool handle.

While the water is heating, select your tea. There are a large number
of different kinds of tea available, and selection is very much a matter
of personal choice. Only through trial and error will you be able to
select a favorite. My current favorite is Lipton, though I sometimes
select Salada (I like the funny sayings on the tags). Place your tea
bag in the cup you will drink the tea from. I use a cup with a picture
of some ducks on it, underneath which is the word "Scott". I forget who
gave me this present, but it doesn't matter. If you are making tea with
one of the flow-through bags (such as Lipton) you can insert a spoon in
the open section. This will keep the bag at the bottom of the cup and
allow for more "flow through", which is very important while the tea is
sleeping.

When the water is heated, pour the hot water into the cup with the tea
bag. DO NOT add the tea bag to the heated water, as this is the wrong
way to make tea. I don't know why, but I heard it on TV.

Allow the bag to sit in the heated water for three minutes, undisturbed.
This is known as "sleeping". While the tea sleeps, the water
will release the flavor from the bag. This is a good time to wash your
hands. You will want clean hands for the next few steps.

At the end of three minutes remove the spoon from the cup (if you have
been using a spoon, that is). Lift the tag of the tea bag and dip the
bag exactly 40 times. To perform a correct dip, lift the tea bag
completely out of the water for about an inch, and immediately dip it
back in. This dipping action will release the full flavor of the tea.
Do not dip more than 40 times or you will get a bitter brew. An old
legend has it that if your tea bag spins while you are dipping, a
counter-clockwise spin means good fortune. A clockwise spin means you
live in Australia.

After the 40th dip, give the bag a quick squeeze with your fingers to
release the final full-flavored drippings from the bag. Throw the bag
away. DO NOT re-use the bag later, or your second cup will be weak.

Add 1 teaspoon of honey to the tea. Use only American, Canadian, or
Brazilian honey. Stir the honey into the warm tea counter-clockwise,
exactly 45 times. If you stir too many times, reverse the stir
clockwise to subtract to the proper number.

Some people add milk or cream to their tea at this point, but those
people are usually vulgar and rude. Do not add milk or honey if you
wish to be thought of as polite company.

Drink the tea before it gets cold. DO NOT dunk donuts into your tea.
What are you, some kind of boorish lout? That kind of stuff is best
left to coffee.

There you have it, my recipe for the perfect cup of tea. I hope it will
be helpful to you and that it increases your enjoyment of this wonderful
beverage.

**
Captain Infinity
..."I could swing a cat and knock a few of the locals over
tomorrow, though only if I'm not painting more ceilings." --Tyler
Jaime M. de Castellvi

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:18:48 -0400, Captain Infinity
> wrote:

>Some of you may remember my post to the coffee groups a while back about
>my favorite way to make coffee. Well, I have since given up drinking
>coffee in favor of tea, which is a far more soothing beverage. I have
>been experimenting daily over the last several months and have finally
>come across a method for making the perfect cup of tea, which I would
>like to share with you.
>
>First, you must realize that tea is more delicate than coffee, and
>requires a more structured method of preparation. It is very easy to
>prepare tea incorrectly, resulting in a bitter drink. Take your time.
>Remember some hard and fast rules:
>
>1) do not boil the water
>2) add water to the tea, not tea to the water
>3) monitor the sleeping time carefully
>
>Here's how I prepare my tea:
>
>First, I heat a cupful of water in the microwave. I use my "Happy
>Birthday" cup because it holds a bit more water than the cup I use to
>drink the tea. The tea itself will absorb this excess water. I use
>bottled water because of the impurities in my local tap water. I heat
>the cup of water for exactly 1 minute and 45 seconds. Longer than this
>and the water will boil, which should be avoided.

Why? You cannot get a *decent* cup of tea unless you boil the water.

Cheers,

Jaime
Jaime M. de Castellvi

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:18:48 -0400, Captain Infinity
> wrote:

>Some of you may remember my post to the coffee groups a while back about
>my favorite way to make coffee. Well, I have since given up drinking
>coffee in favor of tea, which is a far more soothing beverage. I have
>been experimenting daily over the last several months and have finally
>come across a method for making the perfect cup of tea, which I would
>like to share with you.
>
>First, you must realize that tea is more delicate than coffee, and
>requires a more structured method of preparation. It is very easy to
>prepare tea incorrectly, resulting in a bitter drink. Take your time.
>Remember some hard and fast rules:
>
>1) do not boil the water
>2) add water to the tea, not tea to the water
>3) monitor the sleeping time carefully
>
>Here's how I prepare my tea:
>
>First, I heat a cupful of water in the microwave. I use my "Happy
>Birthday" cup because it holds a bit more water than the cup I use to
>drink the tea. The tea itself will absorb this excess water. I use
>bottled water because of the impurities in my local tap water. I heat
>the cup of water for exactly 1 minute and 45 seconds. Longer than this
>and the water will boil, which should be avoided.

Why? You cannot get a *decent* cup of tea unless you boil the water.

Cheers,

Jaime
Ian Rastall

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:18:48 -0400, Captain Infinity
> wrote:

>DO NOT dunk donuts into your tea.

This is a classic post! If only we had a website where we could
archive said posts, like we do over on the pipes group.

Ian
--
http://www.bookstacks.org/
Ian Rastall

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:18:48 -0400, Captain Infinity
> wrote:

>DO NOT dunk donuts into your tea.

This is a classic post! If only we had a website where we could
archive said posts, like we do over on the pipes group.

Ian
--
http://www.bookstacks.org/

Scott Dorsey

Ian Rastall > wrote:
>On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:18:48 -0400, Captain Infinity
> wrote:
>
>>DO NOT dunk donuts into your tea.

>This is a classic post! If only we had a website where we could
>archive said posts, like we do over on the pipes group.

Can I dunk my scones?

What if I'd rather smoke my tea?
--scott

Scott Dorsey

Ian Rastall > wrote:
>On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:18:48 -0400, Captain Infinity
> wrote:
>
>>DO NOT dunk donuts into your tea.

>This is a classic post! If only we had a website where we could
>archive said posts, like we do over on the pipes group.

Can I dunk my scones?

What if I'd rather smoke my tea?
--scott

danube

> There you have it, my recipe for the perfect cup of tea. I hope it will
> be helpful to you and that it increases your enjoyment of this wonderful
> beverage.
>

> **
> Captain Infinity
> ..."I could swing a cat and knock a few of the locals over
> tomorrow, though only if I'm not painting more ceilings." --Tyler

I now realise that I have been doing everything wrong up to now, my method
of preparing tea is quite the same as yours, just by 180 degrees reversed.
Lipton is also a very good tea when you want to darken your skin colour
during carneval or other parties.
JB
Ian Rastall

I boil filtered water in my tea kettle, add it to two teaspoons of
good quality loose leaf tea, in my real teapot, and steep for two to
five minutes (depending on leaf size or type of tea).

Call me crazy... :-)

Ian
--
http://www.bookstacks.org/
danube

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 22:44:57 +0000, Ian Rastall wrote:

> I boil filtered water in my tea kettle, add it to two teaspoons of good
> quality loose leaf tea, in my real teapot, and steep for two to five
> minutes (depending on leaf size or type of tea).
>
> Call me crazy... :-)
>
> Ian

I never heard anything as crazy as that :-0
JB

kayalwin

Captain Infinity,
Your instructions for making tea sounds just right.

The only thing I would have added was not to throw the used
tea bag away. I know that if you have a sunburn, a used tea
bag (not hot anymore) placed on the burned areas helps ease
the sting and swelling. I've heard that some people put the
grounds in their plants, but I'm not sure of the purpose.

KW
Shorthouse

In an idle moment on Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:11:35 GMT, Ian Rastall
> wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:18:48 -0400, Captain Infinity
> wrote:
>
>>DO NOT dunk donuts into your tea.

>This is a classic post! If only we had a website where we could
>archive said posts, like we do over on the pipes group.
>
>Ian

Come and visit www.nice-cuppa-tea.co.uk

There's a Forum where I'm sure you could request such a facility.

Shorthouse
Melinda

LOL!!! That sites' biscuit reviews are hilarious.....what fun! A quote:
"Appalling! thats all I can say, God, I'm crying now"

::snicker:: Thanks for the link

Melinda

A Perfect 10? JL[_3_] General Cooking 14 12-10-2010 07:09 PM
Nobody's Perfect THE BORG General Cooking 2 03-05-2010 04:15 AM
Perfect BBQ was had Duwop Barbecue 0 27-05-2005 10:47 PM
The perfect cup of tea Captain Infinity Tea 0 08-04-2005 02:18 AM
The perfect foil creates the perfect setup again! Jay Santos Vegan 860 27-01-2005 10:32 PM