pilo_

Default '05 tea watch-

hi everyone - just a thought here.

since there are SO many tea vendors on the 'net,
maybe we could make notification here when we
find a vendor that has rec'd new '05 teas.
i think that would be good...........p*
Lewis Perin

pilo_ > writes:

> hi everyone - just a thought here.
>
> since there are SO many tea vendors on the 'net, maybe we could make
> notification here when we find a vendor that has rec'd new '05 teas.
> i think that would be good...........p*

Great idea! And if you're the first to notice a 2005 tea, please be
specific, i.e., don't just point to the vendor's home page.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Lewis Perin

pilo_ > writes:

> hi everyone - just a thought here.
>
> since there are SO many tea vendors on the 'net, maybe we could make
> notification here when we find a vendor that has rec'd new '05 teas.
> i think that would be good...........p*

Great idea! And if you're the first to notice a 2005 tea, please be
specific, i.e., don't just point to the vendor's home page.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
pilo_

In article >,
Lewis Perin > wrote:

> Great idea! And if you're the first to notice a 2005 tea, please be
> specific, i.e., don't just point to the vendor's home page.

yes, indeed. done. sign me up! ..............p*
pilo_

In article >,
Lewis Perin > wrote:

> Great idea! And if you're the first to notice a 2005 tea, please be
> specific, i.e., don't just point to the vendor's home page.

yes, indeed. done. sign me up! ..............p*

Eric Jorgensen

On 25 Mar 2005 14:32:51 -0500
Lewis Perin > wrote:

> pilo_ > writes:
>
> > hi everyone - just a thought here.
> >
> > since there are SO many tea vendors on the 'net, maybe we could make
> > notification here when we find a vendor that has rec'd new '05 teas.
> > i think that would be good...........p*

> Great idea! And if you're the first to notice a 2005 tea, please be
> specific, i.e., don't just point to the vendor's home page.

Upton has a news item with a link pointing to "new 2005 teas" which is
actually just a list of every product they've added to the site in the last
60 days, and none of them seem to say anything about the harvest date in
the description. Some of them are doubtless from the last season.

Doesn't matter, not buying any teas at more than $10/oz.

Eric Jorgensen

On 25 Mar 2005 14:32:51 -0500
Lewis Perin > wrote:

> pilo_ > writes:
>
> > hi everyone - just a thought here.
> >
> > since there are SO many tea vendors on the 'net, maybe we could make
> > notification here when we find a vendor that has rec'd new '05 teas.
> > i think that would be good...........p*

> Great idea! And if you're the first to notice a 2005 tea, please be
> specific, i.e., don't just point to the vendor's home page.

Upton has a news item with a link pointing to "new 2005 teas" which is
actually just a list of every product they've added to the site in the last
60 days, and none of them seem to say anything about the harvest date in
the description. Some of them are doubtless from the last season.

Doesn't matter, not buying any teas at more than $10/oz.

kuri

"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message

> Great idea! And if you're the first to notice a 2005 tea, please be
> specific, i.e., don't just point to the vendor's home page.

Last Monday, I've found Japanese shincha (new tea)at the supermarket. It's
before the official start, so they have cheated somewhere. It's fresh
tasting, if it is last year's, they've frozen it and defrosted it recently.
I suspect it's a green house product. That's not exactly like the real
stuff, but I'm glad to have it.

Kuri

kuri

"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message

> Great idea! And if you're the first to notice a 2005 tea, please be
> specific, i.e., don't just point to the vendor's home page.

Last Monday, I've found Japanese shincha (new tea)at the supermarket. It's
before the official start, so they have cheated somewhere. It's fresh
tasting, if it is last year's, they've frozen it and defrosted it recently.
I suspect it's a green house product. That's not exactly like the real
stuff, but I'm glad to have it.

Kuri

DPM

"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
news
> pilo_ > writes:
>
> > hi everyone - just a thought here.
> >
> > since there are SO many tea vendors on the 'net, maybe we could make
> > notification here when we find a vendor that has rec'd new '05 teas.
> > i think that would be good...........p*

> Great idea! And if you're the first to notice a 2005 tea, please be
> specific, i.e., don't just point to the vendor's home page.
>
> /Lew

Upton has 6 new 2005 FF Darjeelings:
http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/justForYou-new.asp. I've already ordered
some of the TD10 and TD66. I'll post tasting notes when they arrive next
week.

Is anyone else aware of other vendors advertising the imminent arrival of
FFs? How about online vendors in Germany, who are reputed to get some of
the best FF?

Regards,
Dean

Blues Lyne

"pilo_" > wrote in message

> hi everyone - just a thought here.
>
> since there are SO many tea vendors on the 'net,
> maybe we could make notification here when we
> find a vendor that has rec'd new '05 teas.
> i think that would be good...........p*

www.denstea.com sold out its old stock to revamp the product line. They
were out of all their Japanese teas for awhile. I think they said they were
waiting for the 2005 teas to start coming in, though I could be wrong. The
teas are now flown in instead of shipped (30-60 days) and are supposed to be
much fresher. They say they are processed as needed then flown to the US.
I purchased three different teas from them and they are all excellent. I
got a Sencha Fuka-midori ($6.50/56g), a Fukamushi-Sencha special ($6.25/56g)
and a Green Kukicha ($6.00/56g) However, they may have been in cold
storage and freshly finished and flown in. If that's the case, though, it
doesn't make sense that they were out for so long. They are more subtle but
more complex and sweet than their previous teas. Very little astringency or
grassiness. They also included several samples that are a pretty generous
size, much larger than the samples from Upton or Special Teas. They sent a
Gemaicha with Matcha, a Gyokuro, and a Grape Sencha, for free. I'm not in
much of a rush to try the grape sencha, though I guess I could be surprised.

I'm a bit disappointed that their $7-8/100g Sencha's are no more. They were
great everyday teas.

Blues

Blues Lyne

"pilo_" > wrote in message

> hi everyone - just a thought here.
>
> since there are SO many tea vendors on the 'net,
> maybe we could make notification here when we
> find a vendor that has rec'd new '05 teas.
> i think that would be good...........p*

www.denstea.com sold out its old stock to revamp the product line. They
were out of all their Japanese teas for awhile. I think they said they were
waiting for the 2005 teas to start coming in, though I could be wrong. The
teas are now flown in instead of shipped (30-60 days) and are supposed to be
much fresher. They say they are processed as needed then flown to the US.
I purchased three different teas from them and they are all excellent. I
got a Sencha Fuka-midori ($6.50/56g), a Fukamushi-Sencha special ($6.25/56g)
and a Green Kukicha ($6.00/56g) However, they may have been in cold
storage and freshly finished and flown in. If that's the case, though, it
doesn't make sense that they were out for so long. They are more subtle but
more complex and sweet than their previous teas. Very little astringency or
grassiness. They also included several samples that are a pretty generous
size, much larger than the samples from Upton or Special Teas. They sent a
Gemaicha with Matcha, a Gyokuro, and a Grape Sencha, for free. I'm not in
much of a rush to try the grape sencha, though I guess I could be surprised.

I'm a bit disappointed that their $7-8/100g Sencha's are no more. They were
great everyday teas.

Blues

kuri

"Blues Lyne" > wrote in message

> www.denstea.com sold out its old stock to revamp the product line. They
> were out of all their Japanese teas for awhile. I think they said they

were
> waiting for the 2005 teas to start coming in, though I could be wrong.

Japanese new tea (shincha) will arrive in shops in Japan at the end of
April. Other sorts of teas will come a bit later. Be a little patient.

Kuri

Lewis Perin

I'm now happily drinking a sixth steep of Rohini 2005 first flush from
Vail Mountain Coffee and Tea. It seems to be about the same as what I
tasted in late February at the garden.

If you want this tea, don't try to order it from the website, which
seems not to have been updated for it. Call their 800 number instead.

Standard disclaimer: no financial relationship etc.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Lewis Perin

I'm now happily drinking a sixth steep of Rohini 2005 first flush from
Vail Mountain Coffee and Tea. It seems to be about the same as what I
tasted in late February at the garden.

If you want this tea, don't try to order it from the website, which
seems not to have been updated for it. Call their 800 number instead.

Standard disclaimer: no financial relationship etc.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Watch This! Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 29 12-04-2011 02:08 AM
What Will You Watch? Ubiquitous Restaurants 3 06-04-2010 10:39 AM
Watch what you eat Bob-tx Barbecue 0 26-05-2009 11:43 AM
Hey, Ma... watch this! Sheldon General Cooking 6 09-02-2006 12:36 AM
'05 tea watch- pilo_ Tea 0 25-03-2005 07:58 PM