Old 09-04-2011, 08:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Watch This!

( those are known around here as the last words of a Redneck.) I opened a
can of sauerkraut and it exploded - hair, face, shirt and counter generously
splattered. If you want an entertaining trick, I highly recommend it. There
was nothing suspicious about the can's appearance but I'm thinking the next
time I do that I'll put on my safety goggles. You have been warned. Polly

Old 09-04-2011, 08:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 9, 3:15*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
( those are known around here as the last words of a Redneck.) * I opened a
can of sauerkraut and it exploded - hair, face, shirt and counter generously
splattered. *If you want an entertaining trick, I highly recommend it. There
was nothing suspicious about the can's appearance but I'm thinking the next
time I do that I'll put on my safety goggles. *You have been warned. *Polly

I guess they're going to have to keep canned saurkraut off of
commercial airline flights. The TSA needs some kind of saurkraut
detector. Maybe a pig that's been trained to sniff out the offending
cabbage.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
( those are known around here as the last words of a Redneck.) I opened
a can of sauerkraut and it exploded - hair, face, shirt and counter
generously splattered. If you want an entertaining trick, I highly
recommend it. There was nothing suspicious about the can's appearance but
I'm thinking the next time I do that I'll put on my safety goggles. You
have been warned. Polly

Your first mistake was in buying *canned* sauerkraut. I'm not a fan of
sauerkraut but I was given a recipe for pork roast years ago that required
it. I was told definitely don't buy the canned stuff. Seems it also comes
in a bag in the cold produce section

Jill

Old 09-04-2011, 09:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 16:46:20 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
( those are known around here as the last words of a Redneck.) I opened
a can of sauerkraut and it exploded - hair, face, shirt and counter
generously splattered. If you want an entertaining trick, I highly
recommend it. There was nothing suspicious about the can's appearance but
I'm thinking the next time I do that I'll put on my safety goggles. You
have been warned. Polly

Your first mistake was in buying *canned* sauerkraut. I'm not a fan of
sauerkraut but I was given a recipe for pork roast years ago that required
it. I was told definitely don't buy the canned stuff. Seems it also comes
in a bag in the cold produce section

We can go and get it from the vat in the Polish stores. I do
occasionally get the bags but the fresh stuff is way better.

Lou
Old 10-04-2011, 12:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 14:15:36 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

( those are known around here as the last words of a Redneck.) I opened a
can of sauerkraut and it exploded - hair, face, shirt and counter generously
splattered. If you want an entertaining trick, I highly recommend it. There
was nothing suspicious about the can's appearance but I'm thinking the next
time I do that I'll put on my safety goggles. You have been warned. Polly

Oh how I sympathize with you. I had that happen to me years ago with a
can of tomato paste. It shot all over the place, even the ceiling,
I'll never forget that. Now I buy tomato paste in the tubes, safer
that way.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
( those are known around here as the last words of a Redneck.) I opened
a can of sauerkraut and it exploded - hair, face, shirt and counter
generously splattered. If you want an entertaining trick, I highly
recommend it. There was nothing suspicious about the can's appearance but
I'm thinking the next time I do that I'll put on my safety goggles. You
have been warned. Polly

Your first mistake was in buying *canned* sauerkraut. I'm not a fan of
sauerkraut but I was given a recipe for pork roast years ago that required
it. I was told definitely don't buy the canned stuff. Seems it also comes
in a bag in the cold produce section

I'm no fan of canned sauerkraut but I have to admit that the Del Monte
brand Bavarian style canned sauerkraut is excellent.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
( those are known around here as the last words of a Redneck.) I
opened a can of sauerkraut and it exploded - hair, face, shirt and
counter generously splattered. If you want an entertaining trick, I
highly recommend it. There was nothing suspicious about the can's
appearance but I'm thinking the next time I do that I'll put on my
safety goggles. You have been warned. Polly

Your first mistake was in buying *canned* sauerkraut. I'm not a fan
of sauerkraut but I was given a recipe for pork roast years ago that
required it. I was told definitely don't buy the canned stuff. Seems
it also comes in a bag in the cold produce section

Jill

So you really have no idea what you are talking about and decided to hit
"reply" just to be heard?
Old 10-04-2011, 07:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" ha scritto nel messaggio "Polly Esther"
wrote in message
( those are known around here as the last words of a Redneck.) I opened
a can of sauerkraut and it exploded - hair, face, shirt and counter
generously splattered.

Your first mistake was in buying *canned* sauerkraut. I'm not a fan of
sauerkraut but I was given a recipe for pork roast years ago that required
it. I was told definitely don't buy the canned stuff. Seems it also
comes in a bag in the cold produce section

So it does in your store, but so it does not in my entire country. Even in
the USA saurkraut wasn't always available other than in cans.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

i spent summers with a woman who was a friend of my mothers that lived the
next block over... her dh loved it and she canned it in gallon jars, i was
the cabbage stuffer for this process, Lee
"Omelet" wrote in message
news

wrote:

[...]

I like the bagged Boar's Head, but the best I ever had was mom's home
made... I'm hoping the recipe is written down somewhere in her notes.
I know I still have her 3 bladed cabbage slicer. Like a giant Mandolin
with a box carrier.

Still have the crock too! Glazed ceramic and holds about 5 gallons at a
time. She taught me how to make a "water seal" for it to keep the
nasties out of it while it fermented. Not sure it's as bad as Kimchee as
I've never made that but it likely comes close! g

But well worth it. She'd then can it in quart jars with Dry Muscat wine.
--
Peace! Om

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
--Robert Heinlien

Old 10-04-2011, 04:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/04/2011 2:37 AM, Omelet wrote:

Oh how I sympathize with you. I had that happen to me years ago with a
can of tomato paste. It shot all over the place, even the ceiling,
I'll never forget that. Now I buy tomato paste in the tubes, safer
that way.

Me too. I had a can of tomato paste that had been around for a few
years. I had a hand held can opener. I pushed the lever down to puncture
the top and there was an instant spray of red. It was on the ceiling,
four walls, two windows and the floor.

Wouldn't most cans in that condition be "bulgy"???

One of the reasons for using the tube shape is that the sides are strong
and can stand up to pressure. There was absolutely no indication that
there was anything wrong with the can or contents. There was no rust.
The top was clean. I know that it had been around for a year, maybe
two. I had the can sitting on the counter. I put the opener in place,
pressed the lever down and BOOM! Tomato paste everywhere. Hell, I didn't
think there was that much on one of those small cans. If it had been a
can of pain I would not have got as much area coverage.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 01:45:01 -0500, Omelet

wrote:

[...]

The problen with making ones own kraut is that it doesn't pay unless
one makes at least a five gallon crock full, but then having folks
enough to help eat it.

But well worth it. She'd then can it in quart jars with Dry Muscat wine.

Well, if she canned it then it wasn't much different from commercially
canned... can always drain and season tinned to ones liking.

Try the Del Monte Bavarian style with caraway, it will change minds
about canned kraut... doesn't even have that stench when opened.
Of course all sauerkraut is high in salt but not so much when well
drained. Bavarian style replaces part of the curing salt with sugar.

What Will You Watch? Ubiquitous Restaurants 3 06-04-2010 10:39 AM
Watch what you eat Bob-tx Barbecue 0 26-05-2009 11:43 AM
Hey, Ma... watch this! Sheldon General Cooking 6 08-02-2006 11:36 PM
'05 tea watch- pilo_ Tea 14 08-04-2005 04:29 PM
'05 tea watch- pilo_ Tea 0 25-03-2005 06:58 PM