Michiel van der Kraats

Default tea identification

My mother brought some tea back from her trip through China.
Unfortunately we have no idea what kind of tea it is. It's a mix of
stems and big rolled up leaves, quite coarse. It has a faint smokey
aroma. It doesn't seem like a green tea but not exactly black either.

--
Michiel
pilo_

In article >,
Michiel van der Kraats > wrote:

> My mother brought some tea back from her trip through China.
> Unfortunately we have no idea what kind of tea it is. It's a mix of
> stems and big rolled up leaves, quite coarse. It has a faint smokey
> aroma. It doesn't seem like a green tea but not exactly black either.

well, given that there are literally thousands of China
teas, it's not much info to go on, but the reference to
a smokey aroma might suggest lapsang souchong, but
it has more than a faint smokey note.
pilo_

In article >,
Michiel van der Kraats > wrote:

> My mother brought some tea back from her trip through China.
> Unfortunately we have no idea what kind of tea it is. It's a mix of
> stems and big rolled up leaves, quite coarse. It has a faint smokey
> aroma. It doesn't seem like a green tea but not exactly black either.

well, given that there are literally thousands of China
teas, it's not much info to go on, but the reference to
a smokey aroma might suggest lapsang souchong, but
it has more than a faint smokey note.
pilo_

In article >,
Michiel van der Kraats > wrote:

> My mother brought some tea back from her trip through China.
> Unfortunately we have no idea what kind of tea it is. It's a mix of
> stems and big rolled up leaves, quite coarse. It has a faint smokey
> aroma. It doesn't seem like a green tea but not exactly black either.

well, given that there are literally thousands of China
teas, it's not much info to go on, but the reference to
a smokey aroma might suggest lapsang souchong, but
it has more than a faint smokey note.
Alex Chaihorsky

"pilo_" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Michiel van der Kraats > wrote:
>
>> My mother brought some tea back from her trip through China.
>> Unfortunately we have no idea what kind of tea it is. It's a mix of
>> stems and big rolled up leaves, quite coarse. It has a faint smokey
>> aroma. It doesn't seem like a green tea but not exactly black either.

> well, given that there are literally thousands of China
> teas, it's not much info to go on, but the reference to
> a smokey aroma might suggest lapsang souchong, but
> it has more than a faint smokey note.

My guess would be Shui Xian. Brew it and see if the leaves when they fully
unfold will be rather large, greenish-slightly-brown with brown lining along
the very edges.
Some Te Guan Yins ("blacker" ones) can also give a hint of smokyness (but
less than Shui Xian) in that case the leaves will be squished into tiny
balls or "sausages" and will be quite leathery to the touch (again I ma
talking about leaves that fully opened after two or three long steeps.

Sasha.

Alex Chaihorsky

"pilo_" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Michiel van der Kraats > wrote:
>
>> My mother brought some tea back from her trip through China.
>> Unfortunately we have no idea what kind of tea it is. It's a mix of
>> stems and big rolled up leaves, quite coarse. It has a faint smokey
>> aroma. It doesn't seem like a green tea but not exactly black either.

> well, given that there are literally thousands of China
> teas, it's not much info to go on, but the reference to
> a smokey aroma might suggest lapsang souchong, but
> it has more than a faint smokey note.

My guess would be Shui Xian. Brew it and see if the leaves when they fully
unfold will be rather large, greenish-slightly-brown with brown lining along
the very edges.
Some Te Guan Yins ("blacker" ones) can also give a hint of smokyness (but
less than Shui Xian) in that case the leaves will be squished into tiny
balls or "sausages" and will be quite leathery to the touch (again I ma
talking about leaves that fully opened after two or three long steeps.

Sasha.

Cameron Lewis

Are the stems attached to the rolled up leaves or are they separate?
If attached, it sounds like a Fo Shou (Buddha Hand) which are
sometimes a bit smoky, or a heavily roasted Wulong or Tiguanyin.

If they're not attached I have no idea what it is.

Cheers,

Cameron

Michiel van der Kraats > wrote in message >...
> My mother brought some tea back from her trip through China.
> Unfortunately we have no idea what kind of tea it is. It's a mix of
> stems and big rolled up leaves, quite coarse. It has a faint smokey
> aroma. It doesn't seem like a green tea but not exactly black either.

radhja

It seems that could be a Wulong tea (one of the most popular is Tie Guan
Yin).
Try to prepare it in a yixing teapot (not in a metal or porcelain),if
you haven't one, at worst use two glasses of 25ml maxi.

Radhja
Mydnight

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:33:32 +0100, Michiel van der Kraats
> wrote:

>My mother brought some tea back from her trip through China.
>Unfortunately we have no idea what kind of tea it is. It's a mix of
>stems and big rolled up leaves, quite coarse. It has a faint smokey
>aroma. It doesn't seem like a green tea but not exactly black either.

To me it sounds like one of the red teas. Red tea isn't very popular
in China, moreso in the north than the south. Where did she get it
from?

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Mydnight

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:33:32 +0100, Michiel van der Kraats
> wrote:

>My mother brought some tea back from her trip through China.
>Unfortunately we have no idea what kind of tea it is. It's a mix of
>stems and big rolled up leaves, quite coarse. It has a faint smokey
>aroma. It doesn't seem like a green tea but not exactly black either.

To me it sounds like one of the red teas. Red tea isn't very popular
in China, moreso in the north than the south. Where did she get it
from?

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Mydnight

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:52:52 -0500, radhja > wrote:

>It seems that could be a Wulong tea (one of the most popular is Tie Guan
>Yin).
>Try to prepare it in a yixing teapot (not in a metal or porcelain),if
>you haven't one, at worst use two glasses of 25ml maxi.
>
>Radhja

you got that backwards. Tie Guan Yin is a type of Wulong. hehe.

sorry for all the random posts....i'm just excited to find people that
love chinese tea like i do.

Mydnight

thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Mydnight