Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Green Tea Identification

http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg...._1882_88600873

What type of green tea is this? I purchased a pouch of something that
looked exactly like this from stash labled "Premium Loose Green Tea" I
see no such item on their website, and there was no hint on the package
as to what TYPE of premium green tea it was. Any ideas would be
appreciated as I really enjoyed the tea but would like to possibly
purchase the same tea from another manufacturer.

-S.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

looks like a japanese green, most likely sencha, but at that angle it
could be anything! Does this picture look like it?
http://www.ambrosiagourmetcoffees.co...ded/sencha.jpg

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

S. Chancellor wrote:
> http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg...._1882_88600873
>
> What type of green tea is this? I purchased a pouch of something that
> looked exactly like this from stash labled "Premium Loose Green Tea" I
> see no such item on their website, and there was no hint on the package
> as to what TYPE of premium green tea it was. Any ideas would be
> appreciated as I really enjoyed the tea but would like to possibly
> purchase the same tea from another manufacturer.
>
> -S.

Most likely it was Sencha, that picture really doesn't tell much.
Describe the tea you had, color of the liquor, taste, etc. and I should
be able to direct you to a similar green tea. Sencha tends to look like
verdant green blades of grass, and the brew is generally bright green
to a duller green, almost brown. The taste is a "fresh" taste with
grassy notes or even sometimes described as "fishy." If this is close,
then it was most likely Sencha.

Sencha is the main green tea in Japan and one of my favorites, but I
see many teas labled as Sencha that are most certainly not. So it can
be tough to figure out, but if you can give me a little bit to go on,
we'll see what we can come up with.

- Dominic
Drinking: Organic Strawberry Green Tea

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2006-01-31 23:27:55 -0800, "Jason F in Los Angeles"
> said:

> looks like a japanese green, most likely sencha, but at that angle it
> could be anything! Does this picture look like it?
> http://www.ambrosiagourmetcoffees.co...ded/sencha.jpg

That is exactly it, I bought some sencha today and tried it. Very good
stuff! Thanks for your help. I don't know why I bought gunpowder
tea, I just thought the idea was nifty I guess. It's not nearly as
tasty though.

-S.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Gunpowder is pushed far too heavily in stores and cafés, and usually
it's not so great. It's usually the base of "moroccan mint" style teas,
which aren't so great either, IMHO. I think mint goes better with
sencha, personally.

I always recommend bu luo chun and mao feng as good vegetal green teas,
but for something sweeter you might try an Indian white tea
(darjeeling, assam, or ceylon "silver tips" style teas, teajunky.com
has them cheap!)

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2006-02-02 00:11:35 -0800, "Jason F in Los Angeles"
> said:

> Gunpowder is pushed far too heavily in stores and cafés, and usually
> it's not so great. It's usually the base of "moroccan mint" style teas,
> which aren't so great either, IMHO. I think mint goes better with
> sencha, personally.
>
> I always recommend bu luo chun and mao feng as good vegetal green teas,
> but for something sweeter you might try an Indian white tea
> (darjeeling, assam, or ceylon "silver tips" style teas, teajunky.com
> has them cheap!)

Yes, I also bought some stuff marked as "Bi Lo Chun" although it
probably wasn't as it was only 14USD/pound. It's tastes pretty vegetal
to me, but I prefer this sencha.

-S.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

S. Chancellor wrote:
> Yes, I also bought some stuff marked as "Bi Lo Chun" although it
> probably wasn't as it was only 14USD/pound. It's tastes pretty vegetal
> to me, but I prefer this sencha.

I prefer Sencha as well to almost all other green teas. I have tried
almost all of them and no matter what I come back to a good quality
sencha every time. I buy three main ones: For teabag form, I go with
Shirakiku Brand sen-cha (Like $2 at local asian mart and good), and
loose I currently am stuck on an organic strawberry sencha (I think it
may be Numi brand) that is just sencha tea with dehydrated bits of
strawberry mixed in, or I go for just a solid quality plain sencha. (I
look for freshness, smell, and leaf quality) Pretty soon you will
narrow down which sencha's you like and those you don't. There is a
vide variety all under the name "sencha."

- Dominic
Drinking: Spring white mixed with Dimbula ceylon