Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

Default Meat cut identification help please

At Costco, in the meat department in the primary cut section, they had a
cryo-pack hunk of beef that I hadn't heard of, all it said was 'Cap of
Inside.' There were several packages labeled that way. There really wasn't
a portion of the piece that I could identify as a particular muscle. Does
anyone know what this is? I forgot to get the price per pound, sorry. I
did get my chuck roast, holey moley! $3.29 per pound! Boneless,
thankfully.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> At Costco, in the meat department in the primary cut section, they had a
> cryo-pack hunk of beef that I hadn't heard of, all it said was 'Cap of
> Inside.' There were several packages labeled that way. There really wasn't
> a portion of the piece that I could identify as a particular muscle. Does
> anyone know what this is? I forgot to get the price per pound, sorry.

Quite possibly:
http://www.beeffoodservice.com/Cuts/Info.aspx?Code=33

> I did get my chuck roast, holey moley! $3.29 per pound! Boneless,
> thankfully.

That's about the right price for boneless chuck.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> At Costco, in the meat department in the primary cut section, they had a
>> cryo-pack hunk of beef that I hadn't heard of, all it said was 'Cap of
>> Inside.' There were several packages labeled that way. There really
>> wasn't
>> a portion of the piece that I could identify as a particular muscle.
>> Does
>> anyone know what this is? I forgot to get the price per pound, sorry.

> Quite possibly:
> http://www.beeffoodservice.com/Cuts/Info.aspx?Code=33
>

>> I did get my chuck roast, holey moley! $3.29 per pound! Boneless,
>> thankfully.

> That's about the right price for boneless chuck.
>
> Sheldon

From the description at your link, it certainly seems like the right cut.
It must have been cut somewhat differently. The grain of the meat reminded
me of round and I was looking for some portion of the exterior round so
that I could identify it. This cryo cut was almost cut like a 18-20 inch
long pyramid -- sort of.

The boneless chuck was a definite sticker shock thing. I hadn't bought any
since last spring when I paid $2.69.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
pennyaline

Janet Bostwick wrote:

<remarkable amount of snippage>

> The boneless chuck was a definite sticker shock thing. I hadn't bought any
> since last spring when I paid $2.69.

I paid $2.99 per pound for boneless chuck today.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
George

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> At Costco, in the meat department in the primary cut section, they had a
> cryo-pack hunk of beef that I hadn't heard of, all it said was 'Cap of
> Inside.' There were several packages labeled that way. There really wasn't
> a portion of the piece that I could identify as a particular muscle. Does
> anyone know what this is? I forgot to get the price per pound, sorry. I
> did get my chuck roast, holey moley! $3.29 per pound! Boneless,
> thankfully.
> Janet

Check out other places beside the big box stores. Just bought boneless
chuck for $2.79/lb and Country ribs for $1.59/lb at the local market.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"George" > wrote in message
snip I
>> did get my chuck roast, holey moley! $3.29 per pound! Boneless,
>> thankfully.
>> Janet

> Check out other places beside the big box stores. Just bought boneless
> chuck for $2.79/lb and Country ribs for $1.59/lb at the local market.

In my city, Costco has the best meat. It always tastes like you remember
from childhood.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
> > Janet Bostwick wrote:
> >> At Costco, in the meat department in the primary cut section, they had a
> >> cryo-pack hunk of beef that I hadn't heard of, all it said was 'Cap of
> >> Inside.' There were several packages labeled that way. There really
> >> wasn't
> >> a portion of the piece that I could identify as a particular muscle.
> >> Does
> >> anyone know what this is? I forgot to get the price per pound, sorry.

> > Quite possibly:
> > http://www.beeffoodservice.com/Cuts/Info.aspx?Code=33
> >

> >> I did get my chuck roast, holey moley! $3.29 per pound! Boneless,
> >> thankfully.

> > That's about the right price for boneless chuck.
> >

> From the description at your link, it certainly seems like the right cut.
> It must have been cut somewhat differently. The grain of the meat reminded
> me of round and I was looking for some portion of the exterior round so
> that I could identify it. This cryo cut was almost cut like a 18-20 inch
> long pyramid -- sort of.

That's a large chunk of beef to invest in, were it me I'd have queried
the butcher. One should never be ashamed to ask, it's a sign of
intelligence to admit ignorance, and a good butcher is always anxious
for an opportunity to educate. Unfortunately nowadays the younger
butchers don't know a whole lot about the meats they handle, few have
ever even touched hanging beef, only cryo... they are meat cutters, not
butchers. Anyway the site I pointed you to I believe accurately
describes the cut you asked about and how to further
prepare it. Since it's not always easy to examine a cut wrapped in
cryo, were it me I'd ask to be sure, and had the butcher described how
to further prepare it I'd use that as an opportunity to ask would he
please reduce the cut to it's elements; a couple of roasts (tied) and
some stewing meat... me, I'd probably grind some of the stewing meat
once I got home... most stupidmarket butchers won't grind a small
quantity, nor would I trust what comes out of their machine, especially
since the stupidmarket grinders are almost always in the back and out
of sight... you'd likely be handed a small package from the generic
preground that was prepared earlier, and your meat would be packaged as
premium stew beef and sold at a higher per pound price.

> The boneless chuck was a definite sticker shock thing. I hadn't bought any
> since last spring when I paid $2.69.

It's difficult to say when it just says "boneless chuck", there are
different cuts of chuck roast, plus meat quality/grade to consider, and
how well trimmed/prepared by the butcher. And some stores just
generally charge higher prices. The real proof will be in the eating.
I wouldn't buy a roast with the generic name "chuck roast", especially
not boneless, boneless chuck is almost impossible to identify.

http://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com...beef/types.asp

Beef Chuck Pot Roasts
Commonly available chuck pot roasts include bone-in and boneless chuck
arm pot roast, bone-in and boneless chuck blade pot roast, chuck 7-Bone
pot roast and boneless chuck shoulder pot roast.

Less common chuck pot roasts include bone-in and boneless chuck cross
rib pot roast, chuck mock tender roast (boneless), boneless chuck top
blade roast and boneless chuck eye roast.
---

I think most folks over cook chuck pot roast, they cook it to death,
until it falls apart into a pile of stringy glop. Chuck is much better
cooked only until fork tender, so it can be sliced. If you're going to
over cook chuck or any pot roast then buy the poorest cuts you can
find.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
snip
This cryo cut was almost cut like a 18-20 inch
>> long pyramid -- sort of.

> That's a large chunk of beef to invest in, were it me I'd have queried
> the butcher.

snip

I would have, but it was mid-day Sunday and the store was very busy -- not
my favorite day or time to shop.

Anyway the site I pointed you to I believe accurately
> describes the cut you asked about and how to further
> prepare it.

snip

I saved the site. It's an excellent tool. Thanks. I've been looking at
the primary cut packages because they are about $.60 or more per pound less
than the cut portions. That's why I appreciate the link you gave me. If I
ever decide to take the plunge and buy one of the primary cuts, I'll have
researched it through the source you provided. I haven't seen a chuck
primary at the store in months -- that's what I'm looking for. They have a
lot of different primaries but we just don't eat enough steak to justify
getting something like that. And, I'm not really fond of round. I suppose
a ribeye section would be o.k. Anyway, thanks again for the link. It may
be that I am limiting myself because I don't really understand what is in or
can be cut from the primary pieces.

> It's difficult to say when it just says "boneless chuck", there are
> different cuts of chuck roast, plus meat quality/grade to consider, and
> how well trimmed/prepared by the butcher. And some stores just
> generally charge higher prices. The real proof will be in the eating.
> I wouldn't buy a roast with the generic name "chuck roast", especially
> not boneless, boneless chuck is almost impossible to identify.

I buy my chuck roasts at Costco because I get consistent quality --it isn't
tenderness because you can always make a pot roast tender, it's the taste.
My preference is for a 7-bone roast. It is becoming difficult to find
around here because as you say the 'meat cutters' cut things much different
today than butchers used to. I'm no expert, but I look for a meat grain
that I know makes the kind of roast that I prefer. I don't care for the arm
roasts. I won't buy a package of stew meat. . .now that is really a way to
get a package of mixed meat that is impossible to cook well or evenly or
even make taste good. I agree that the pot roast should be cooked until
very tender but not falling apart in strings.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> snip
> This cryo cut was almost cut like a 18-20 inch
> >> long pyramid -- sort of.

> > That's a large chunk of beef to invest in, were it me I'd have queried
> > the butcher.

> snip
>
> I would have, but it was mid-day Sunday and the store was very busy -- not
> my favorite day or time to shop.
>
> Anyway the site I pointed you to I believe accurately
> > describes the cut you asked about and how to further
> > prepare it.

> snip
>
> I saved the site. It's an excellent tool. Thanks. I've been looking at
> the primary cut packages because they are about $.60 or more per pound less
> than the cut portions.

Not usually a real bargain, with cryo primals you typically lose more
in scrap than you saved on price. And you really can't see what you're
buying with that type of packaging... I find it more economical to buy
roasts that are already prepared/trimmed... just wait until there's a
sale and then buy a few of the largest nicest looking ones you can
find. It hurts nothing to stock up the freezer with the less tender
cuts like chuck and round, but it's really stupid to freeze expensive
tender cuts, like from the rib and sirloin.

> That's why I appreciate the link you gave me. If I
> ever decide to take the plunge and buy one of the primary cuts, I'll have
> researched it through the source you provided. I haven't seen a chuck
> primary at the store in months -- that's what I'm looking for. They have a
> lot of different primaries but we just don't eat enough steak to justify
> getting something like that. And, I'm not really fond of round. I suppose
> a ribeye section would be o.k. Anyway, thanks again for the link. It may
> be that I am limiting myself because I don't really understand what is in or
> can be cut from the primary pieces.
>
> > It's difficult to say when it just says "boneless chuck", there are
> > different cuts of chuck roast, plus meat quality/grade to consider, and
> > how well trimmed/prepared by the butcher. And some stores just
> > generally charge higher prices. The real proof will be in the eating.
> > I wouldn't buy a roast with the generic name "chuck roast", especially
> > not boneless, boneless chuck is almost impossible to identify.

> I buy my chuck roasts at Costco because I get consistent quality --it isn't
> tenderness because you can always make a pot roast tender, it's the taste.
> My preference is for a 7-bone roast. It is becoming difficult to find
> around here because as you say the 'meat cutters' cut things much different
> today than butchers used to. I'm no expert, but I look for a meat grain
> that I know makes the kind of roast that I prefer. I don't care for the arm
> roasts. I won't buy a package of stew meat. . .now that is really a way to
> get a package of mixed meat that is impossible to cook well or evenly or
> even make taste good. I agree that the pot roast should be cooked until
> very tender but not falling apart in strings.
> Janet

All your concerns just proves you need to own a decent meat grinder.
Buy the bone-in roasts, they are less expensive, then debone to roll
and tie your own roasts, and use the more difficult configured parts to
make your own stew and ground beef... you can cut away some of the fat
from the roast and stew beef and add it back to the ground... and
freeze all the bones for when you need a really rich stock/soup...
nothing wasted. I'll often trim a few chuck roast bones so they are
kind of meaty, then use them directly in soups... and gnawing the meaty
bones is a cooks treat.

Hint: Always rinse well any meat containing sawn bones, especially
with steaks, with pot roast bone slivers settle to the bottom but a
gritty steak is just awful... many otherwise fine restaurants fail to
rinse bone sawings from their steaks, especially a crime when it's USDA
Prime you're paying for... rinsing a steak in cold water and blotting
dry before cooking harms nothing... and may save one a trip to the
dentist. Many a restaurant has paid a substantial out of court
settlement for causing broken teeth/bridgework because of bone chips
embedded in their steaks. You can't win a case against a butcher for
bone chips (proper prepping is up to the consumer) but a restaurant
most definitely... even a guest dining at your home will win a case,
even if it's from a bone chip in a burger off your grill... beware
serving mystery meat burgers to guests.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
limey

"Janet Bostwick" wrote in message >

> In my city, Costco has the best meat. It always tastes like you remember
> from childhood.

We now buy our meat from either Costco or Sam's, since the quality is higher
than at the supermarket and neighborhood butchers are nonexistent here.

We find the prices are a little higher on some cuts, but the grade is
better.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
snip all good tips

> All your concerns just proves you need to own a decent meat grinder.
> Buy the bone-in roasts, they are less expensive, then debone to roll
> and tie your own roasts, and use the more difficult configured parts to
> make your own stew and ground beef... you can cut away some of the fat
> from the roast and stew beef and add it back to the ground... and
> freeze all the bones for when you need a really rich stock/soup...
> nothing wasted. I'll often trim a few chuck roast bones so they are
> kind of meaty, then use them directly in soups... and gnawing the meaty
> bones is a cooks treat.

o.k., that's the next step, a grinder. Thanks again.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"limey" > wrote in message
snip
> We now buy our meat from either Costco or Sam's, since the quality is
> higher than at the supermarket and neighborhood butchers are nonexistent
> here.
>
> We find the prices are a little higher on some cuts, but the grade is
> better.
>
> Dora

I keep getting requests from friends and neighbors to get a Costco card
through my business card simply because of the meat. They all say the same
thing -- Albertson meat is not good, and that is pretty much our choice
here. Well, except for the food co-op that sells only prime or organic and
that is way outside my budget.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote

> "limey" > wrote in message

>> We now buy our meat from either Costco or Sam's, since the quality is
>> higher than at the supermarket and neighborhood butchers are nonexistent
>> here.
>>
>> We find the prices are a little higher on some cuts, but the grade is
>> better.

> I keep getting requests from friends and neighbors to get a Costco card
> through my business card simply because of the meat. They all say the
> same thing -- Albertson meat is not good, and that is pretty much our
> choice here.

Every time Costco comes up around here, that's what everyone says,
how good the meat is. I agree. I keep waffling about rejoining because the
membership fee has gone so high, but I thought anyone could join anymore,
you didn't have to be a member of some company or union or something?
Do you get a break on the membership fee?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
snip>
> Every time Costco comes up around here, that's what everyone says,
> how good the meat is. I agree. I keep waffling about rejoining because
> the
> membership fee has gone so high, but I thought anyone could join anymore,
> you didn't have to be a member of some company or union or something?
> Do you get a break on the membership fee?
>
> nancy

I don't know if my members get a break or could join themselves. Their
membership is $35 for primary member and SO. I have an Executive
Membership. It's $100 per year with 2% back at the end of the year on
everything we purchase plus good prices on other goods and services
available to Executive Members through Costco. We get our membership fee
back plus some each year so membership is free. We get all our gasoline
there and it is $.17 to $.22 per gallon cheaper than elsewhere in town. Go
look at Costco.com.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote

> I don't know if my members get a break or could join themselves. Their
> membership is $35 for primary member and SO. I have an Executive
> Membership. It's $100 per year with 2% back at the end of the year on
> everything we purchase plus good prices on other goods and services
> available to Executive Members through Costco. We get our membership fee
> back plus some each year so membership is free. We get all our gasoline
> there and it is $.17 to $.22 per gallon cheaper than elsewhere in town.
> Go look at Costco.com.

Gotcha. From what I see, you don't need to be part of anything in order to
be an executive member, but maybe I'm not reading it correctly. If I was
a member for $45 a year, it would be another $55, coming to $100.

I definitely wouldn't be an executive member, I wouldn't buy enough and I
don't live close enough to one to get gas there, aside from the fact that
they
don't sell gas anyway. Thanks for the idea to look at the site.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
snip. Thanks for the idea to look at the site.

> nancy

You're welcome.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
limey

Default Costco or Sams - was Meat cut identification help please

"Nancy Young" wrote in message >
> "Janet Bostwick" wrote
>
>> "limey" > wrote >
>>> We now buy our meat from either Costco or Sam's, since the quality is
>>> higher than at the supermarket and neighborhood butchers are nonexistent
>>> here.
>>>
>>> We find the prices are a little higher on some cuts, but the grade is
>>> better.

>> I keep getting requests from friends and neighbors to get a Costco card
>> through my business card simply because of the meat. They all say the
>> same thing -- Albertson meat is not good, and that is pretty much our
>> choice here.

> Every time Costco comes up around here, that's what everyone says,
> how good the meat is. I agree. I keep waffling about rejoining because
> the
> membership fee has gone so high, but I thought anyone could join anymore,
> you didn't have to be a member of some company or union or something?
> Do you get a break on the membership fee?
>
> nancy

Yes, Nancy - anyone can join nowadays. We pay $45 a year and we both get a
separate card to use. I'm not sure if you can buy a single membership at
Costco, but you can at Sam's Club.

We use them to buy a lot of foods if there's a saving - i.e., milk, half and
half, cheese, etc. Canned goods are cheaper. Frozen food selections are
better. Computer-related things are cheaper. The danger is getting carried
away and buying large quantities of something - even if it gets used up over
time, you still have to find a place to store it. I like V-8 juice - but
24 cans? Come on! (I buy it, though ;-) My kids say that I'm ready for a
nuclear attack, but we live a long way away, even from a supermarket. My
downfall there - the latest electronic whatevers and small appliances at
much lower prices. Don't let me see 'em.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
limey

"Janet Bostwick" wrote >
> I don't know if my members get a break or could join themselves. Their
> membership is $35 for primary member and SO.

Wow. When I had a card on someone else's business membership years ago, it
only cost $10 a year. Times have changed!

I have an Executive
> Membership. It's $100 per year with 2% back at the end of the year on
> everything we purchase plus good prices on other goods and services
> available to Executive Members through Costco. We get our membership fee
> back plus some each year so membership is free. We get all our gasoline
> there and it is $.17 to $.22 per gallon cheaper than elsewhere in town.
> Go look at Costco.com.
> Janet

Gosh, I forgot about the gas. We always buy it if it's competitive but for
some very strange reason it's cheaper than Costco around here at the moment.

My daughter has an Executive Membership - does all her main shopping every
week at Costco and tells me she saves quite a bit over the year - the
membership fee back plus extra.

They often carry designer shirts, etc., for the men - Tommy Hilfiger,
Lauren, Haggar, Fila - often good for gifts at Christmas.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"limey" > wrote in message
snip
Costco, but you can at Sam's Club.

> We use them to buy a lot of foods if there's a saving - i.e., milk, half
> and half, cheese, etc. Canned goods are cheaper. Frozen food selections
> are better. Computer-related things are cheaper. The danger is getting
> carried away and buying large quantities of something - even if it gets
> used up over time, you still have to find a place to store it.

snip

> Dora

you're right about quantities sometimes, but the food is so pretty there
(Costco) Every fruit and vegetable and piece of meat and fish is picture
perfect and no bloody puddles in the meat trays. Sooner or later you will
get to sample just about everything edible in the store so you don't end up
making bad (for you) choices.

There was an article in the Costco magazine this last year. The reason they
close the store at 8 p.m. and don't open until 9:30 - 10:00 a.m. is because
every night a huge crew comes in and every single thing in the store is
moved, examined (discarded if necessary), dusted, folded, rearranged, new
stock accepted and put out. The article said it is literally impossible to
move through the store during these hours because everything is being moved
around. There are crews assigned to certain segments of the store and
everyone works according to a scheduling/arranging map. If you've ever been
one of the first people through the door in the morning, it's like walking
into a new store.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"limey" > wrote

> Yes, Nancy - anyone can join nowadays. We pay $45 a year and we both get
> a separate card to use. I'm not sure if you can buy a single membership
> at Costco, but you can at Sam's Club.

You know what, I'm joining right now. I had let my membership drop
because it went up to $45 and the store is just pretty far for me ... now
there is one much closer. You made up my mind, don't ask me why I
get so lame over 45 bucks ... I'll make most of that back.

> We use them to buy a lot of foods if there's a saving - i.e., milk, half
> and half, cheese, etc. Canned goods are cheaper. Frozen food selections
> are better. Computer-related things are cheaper. The danger is getting
> carried away and buying large quantities of something - even if it gets
> used up over time, you still have to find a place to store it. I like
> V-8 juice - but 24 cans? Come on!

(laugh!) That's where I get into trouble. I even built myself a 'Costco'
closet
to hold all that stuff. I like buying in bulk.

> (I buy it, though ;-) My kids say that I'm ready for a nuclear attack,
> but we live a long way away, even from a supermarket. My downfall
> there - the latest electronic whatevers and small appliances at much lower
> prices. Don't let me see 'em.

Hard to miss, they're right by the front door for a reason.

I happen to have security envelopes I bought when I did belong to
costco years ago ... half a box of 500 left, we're talking a lifetime
supply. Silly, but ... hey, I don't have to worry about envelopes.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
George

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> "George" > wrote in message
> snip I
>
>>>did get my chuck roast, holey moley! $3.29 per pound! Boneless,
>>>thankfully.
>>>Janet

>>Check out other places beside the big box stores. Just bought boneless
>>chuck for $2.79/lb and Country ribs for $1.59/lb at the local market.
>>

> In my city, Costco has the best meat. It always tastes like you remember
> from childhood.

Thankfully we still have local markets which have excellent meat. And I
don't have to pay to get an ID card to shop there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
limey

"Nancy Young" wrote>
> I happen to have security envelopes I bought when I did belong to
> costco years ago ... half a box of 500 left, we're talking a lifetime
> supply. Silly, but ... hey, I don't have to worry about envelopes.
>
> nancy

Gee, you too? I'll see your security envelopes and raise you what's left of
mine plus 499 large manila envelopes!

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"limey" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" wrote>
>> I happen to have security envelopes I bought when I did belong to
>> costco years ago ... half a box of 500 left, we're talking a lifetime
>> supply. Silly, but ... hey, I don't have to worry about envelopes.

> Gee, you too? I'll see your security envelopes and raise you what's left
> of mine plus 499 large manila envelopes!

That's hilarious. What's even worse? I dragged out my old membership
card to renew online? It expired in 02/95. Yes, I have not gone in 10
years, and I still have those envelopes.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> you're right about quantities sometimes, but the food is so pretty there
> (Costco) Every fruit and vegetable and piece of meat and fish is picture
> perfect and no bloody puddles in the meat trays. Sooner or later you will
> get to sample just about everything edible in the store so you don't end up
> making bad (for you) choices.

I didn't bother renewing my card. I went in there a few times looking for
something specific, couldn't find it, and spent over $100 anyway, mostly on
stuff I didn't really need but they looked like good deals at the time.

I have a problem with the way some of the products are marketed. Some of of the
things I had hoped to buy in bulk came in variety packs. For instance, I like
Breton Crackers, the Originals. They sold three packs, one Original, one Sesame
and one Vegetable. One time I bought a variety pack of Knorr pasta cups. It was
a pack of 20 Across the front were a 4 cheese penne, an AlFredo, a primevera,
chicken noodle soup and potato and leek soup. When I got it home and opened it
up it was 2 each of the pastas, 6 chicken noodle and the rest was the potato
leek soup, the least useful of the lot. If someone wants me to sample their
products, give me coupons or free samples, but I don't want to have to sample
their stuff to buy in bulk.

FWIW... a coworker had a Swiss Army watch identical to mine, but he paid about
$150 less for it at Costco. i thought I had been ripped off. A year later he was
wondering why the face on his watch was fading but mine wasn't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article >,
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

> I don't know if my members get a break or could join themselves. Their
> membership is $35 for primary member and SO. I have an Executive
> Membership. It's $100 per year with 2% back at the end of the year on
> everything we purchase plus good prices on other goods and services
> available to Executive Members through Costco. We get our membership fee
> back plus some each year so membership is free. We get all our gasoline
> there and it is $.17 to $.22 per gallon cheaper than elsewhere in town. Go
> look at Costco.com.

We're very happy with Costco and have belonged for many years. We went
with the Executive thing, and got way more than US$100 back at the end
of the year. My wife and daughter both cook at church functions, so
that boosts our purchases by a lot. We buy most of our gas there, but
not all. It's about 10 miles, so we just get gas when we are going
there anyway, or close to there.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 12:54:21 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>"limey" > wrote in message
>snip
> Costco, but you can at Sam's Club.
>>
>> We use them to buy a lot of foods if there's a saving - i.e., milk, half
>> and half, cheese, etc. Canned goods are cheaper. Frozen food selections
>> are better. Computer-related things are cheaper. The danger is getting
>> carried away and buying large quantities of something - even if it gets
>> used up over time, you still have to find a place to store it.

> snip
>>
>> Dora
>>

>you're right about quantities sometimes, but the food is so pretty there
>(Costco) Every fruit and vegetable and piece of meat and fish is picture
>perfect and no bloody puddles in the meat trays. Sooner or later you will
>get to sample just about everything edible in the store so you don't end up
>making bad (for you) choices.
>
>There was an article in the Costco magazine this last year. The reason they
>close the store at 8 p.m. and don't open until 9:30 - 10:00 a.m. is because
>every night a huge crew comes in and every single thing in the store is
>moved, examined (discarded if necessary), dusted, folded, rearranged, new
>stock accepted and put out. The article said it is literally impossible to
>move through the store during these hours because everything is being moved
>around. There are crews assigned to certain segments of the store and
>everyone works according to a scheduling/arranging map. If you've ever been
>one of the first people through the door in the morning, it's like walking
>into a new store.
>Janet

Costco is my favorite place to shop. The quality of the food is
fabulous and their customer service is excellent.

Ever try their croissants? Dee-lish.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking
limey

>> "Nancy Young" wrote>
>>> I happen to have security envelopes I bought when I did belong to
>>> costco years ago ... half a box of 500 left, we're talking a lifetime
>>> supply. Silly, but ... hey, I don't have to worry about envelopes.

>> Gee, you too? I'll see your security envelopes and raise you what's left
>> of mine plus 499 large manila envelopes!

> That's hilarious. What's even worse? I dragged out my old membership
> card to renew online? It expired in 02/95. Yes, I have not gone in 10
> years, and I still have those envelopes.
>
> nancy

Hmmm. That's about the time I bought those manilas. Do you think they'd
sell OK on eBay?

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38

Dave Smith wrote:

> FWIW... a coworker had a Swiss Army watch identical to mine, but he paid about
> $150 less for it at Costco. i thought I had been ripped off. A year later he was
> wondering why the face on his watch was fading but mine wasn't.

Do you think they're selling counterfeits?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
limey

"Boron Elgar" wrote in message

> Costco is my favorite place to shop. The quality of the food is
> fabulous and their customer service is excellent.
>
> Ever try their croissants? Dee-lish.
>
> Boron

Yes. Aren't they good! They come closest to the French ones than any here
others I've tried here in the US. For breakfast, I bake them for 5 minutes
at 400 degrees. They come out flaky and crisp.

For lunch, I cut them in half, put lunch meat and cheese in and nuke for
about 30 seconds. They don't get crisp but they're hot and make a change
from the usual sandwich .

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 16:13:01 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> you're right about quantities sometimes, but the food is so pretty there
>> (Costco) Every fruit and vegetable and piece of meat and fish is picture
>> perfect and no bloody puddles in the meat trays. Sooner or later you will
>> get to sample just about everything edible in the store so you don't end up
>> making bad (for you) choices.

>I didn't bother renewing my card. I went in there a few times looking for
>something specific, couldn't find it, and spent over $100 anyway, mostly on
>stuff I didn't really need but they looked like good deals at the time.

That is your fault, not Costco's.

>I have a problem with the way some of the products are marketed. Some of of the
>things I had hoped to buy in bulk came in variety packs. For instance, I like
>Breton Crackers, the Originals. They sold three packs, one Original, one Sesame
>and one Vegetable. One time I bought a variety pack of Knorr pasta cups. It was
>a pack of 20 Across the front were a 4 cheese penne, an AlFredo, a primevera,
>chicken noodle soup and potato and leek soup. When I got it home and opened it
>up it was 2 each of the pastas, 6 chicken noodle and the rest was the potato
>leek soup, the least useful of the lot. If someone wants me to sample their
>products, give me coupons or free samples, but I don't want to have to sample
>their stuff to buy in bulk.

Costco would gladly have refunded your money.

>FWIW... a coworker had a Swiss Army watch identical to mine, but he paid about
>$150 less for it at Costco. i thought I had been ripped off. A year later he was
>wondering why the face on his watch was fading but mine wasn't.

Again, taking it to customer service at Costco would have made a
difference.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

Goomba38 wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > FWIW... a coworker had a Swiss Army watch identical to mine, but he paid about
> > $150 less for it at Costco. i thought I had been ripped off. A year later he was
> > wondering why the face on his watch was fading but mine wasn't.
> >

> Do you think they're selling counterfeits?

That's a good question. Our watches were identical. About a year later the face on his
was noticeably faded. That was about 5 years ago. Mine still hasn't faded. It makes me
wonder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

Boron Elgar wrote:

> >I didn't bother renewing my card. I went in there a few times looking for
> >something specific, couldn't find it, and spent over $100 anyway, mostly on
> >stuff I didn't really need but they looked like good deals at the time.

> That is your fault, not Costco's.

True. It would be even more true if I kept going back. I don't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

> At Costco, in the meat department in the primary cut section, they had a
> cryo-pack hunk of beef that I hadn't heard of, all it said was 'Cap of
> Inside.' There were several packages labeled that way. There really wasn't
> a portion of the piece that I could identify as a particular muscle. Does
> anyone know what this is? I forgot to get the price per pound, sorry. I
> did get my chuck roast, holey moley! $3.29 per pound! Boneless,
> thankfully.
> Janet

Did you ask the meat guys what they were cutting from it?
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>
>> At Costco, in the meat department in the primary cut section, they had a
>> cryo-pack hunk of beef that I hadn't heard of, all it said was 'Cap of
>> Inside.' snip>

> Did you ask the meat guys what they were cutting from it?
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

No, It was mid-day on Sunday and the store was really hopping, otherwise I
would have.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 17:19:55 -0500, "limey" > wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" wrote in message
>>
>> Costco is my favorite place to shop. The quality of the food is
>> fabulous and their customer service is excellent.
>>
>> Ever try their croissants? Dee-lish.
>>
>> Boron

>Yes. Aren't they good! They come closest to the French ones than any here
>others I've tried here in the US. For breakfast, I bake them for 5 minutes
>at 400 degrees. They come out flaky and crisp.

Oui! Oui!

>For lunch, I cut them in half, put lunch meat and cheese in and nuke for
>about 30 seconds. They don't get crisp but they're hot and make a change
>from the usual sandwich .
>
>Dora

Great for sandwiches.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>
>>At Costco, in the meat department in the primary cut section, they had a
>>cryo-pack hunk of beef that I hadn't heard of, all it said was 'Cap of
>>Inside.' There were several packages labeled that way. There really wasn't
>>a portion of the piece that I could identify as a particular muscle. Does
>>anyone know what this is? I forgot to get the price per pound, sorry. I
>>did get my chuck roast, holey moley! $3.29 per pound! Boneless,
>>thankfully.
>>Janet

> Did you ask the meat guys what they were cutting from it?

I'm going to guess here and say it probably should have read "cap-off
inside round." On many large cuts, there will be a section of flat
muscle at the outside of the larger muscle that is the major component
of the cut. Buying for my restaurants, I bought cap-on and cap-off cuts
of rib sections. The ones with cap-off I cut into steaks. The others I
cooked as prime rib.

Following that rationale, I'm going to assume that it's an inside top
round with the surrounding cap removed. If it is, it's good for roasting
and braising. I've cut steaks from them, but they're on the tough side
unless cooked sparingly - no more than medium. A tasty cut.

Also very good for jerky.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article >,
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> >> Ever try their croissants? Dee-lish.

> >For lunch, I cut them in half, put lunch meat and cheese in and nuke for
> >about 30 seconds. They don't get crisp but they're hot and make a change
> >from the usual sandwich .

> Great for sandwiches.

You're talking about lunch here. Tomato soup with a croissant with ham
and cheese. It was very good. (Soup from somewhere else, but the rest
from Costco.)

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Nancy Young" > wrote

> there is one much closer. You made up my mind, don't ask me why I
> get so lame over 45 bucks ... I'll make most of that back.

And I did! Spent $45 on a Costco membership and won $50 in
the football pool last night! Thank you very much.

nancy (you gotta spend money to make money)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Nancy Young" > wrote
>
>> there is one much closer. You made up my mind, don't ask me why I
>> get so lame over 45 bucks ... I'll make most of that back.

> And I did! Spent $45 on a Costco membership and won $50 in
> the football pool last night! Thank you very much.
>
> nancy (you gotta spend money to make money)

Makes perfect sense to me ;o}

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

limey wrote:
> "Nancy Young" wrote>
> > I happen to have security envelopes I bought when I did belong to
> > costco years ago ... half a box of 500 left, we're talking a lifetime
> > supply. Silly, but ... hey, I don't have to worry about envelopes.
> >
> > nancy

> Gee, you too? I'll see your security envelopes and raise you what's left of
> mine plus 499 large manila envelopes!

About 15 years ago Staples had a deal where if you purchased a case of
their brand paper you got a case of their brand paper clips free... 20
littlle boxes of 100 #2 paper clips each... that case of paper is long
gone but some 15 years later I barely made a dent in the first box of
paper clips. Any of yoose ever get commited I'll donate them for
making paper clip chains. hehe

Sheldon Easy Button