Old 07-10-2012, 12:34 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Teavana and Puerh

So, I dropped into a Teavana store, not really knowing what to expect, and
was surprised by the pleasant service and the reasonable tea that I found.
So far, the stuff that I bought from them is reasonable and about what I
had hoped.

However, I was disappointed when the tea lady basically said that they
don't carry Puerhs at all, and they had only one in stock due to some hype
that it was receiving in health markets. However, when she gave me a
sample to try, it was really more like a black tea that was given a bit of
a Puerh like overtone. It was a decent black tea, but certainly not what I
would be looking for in a Puerh.

I wonder why Puerh isn't very popular?

--
Aaron W. Hsu | | http://www.sacrideo.us
Programming is just another word for the Lost Art of Thinking.

Old 24-01-2013, 01:44 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I just wanted to post up this follow-up I received via email.

From Kirby Smith:

On 10/06/2012 07:34 PM, Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
So, I dropped into a Teavana store, not really knowing what
to expect, and was surprised by the pleasant service and the
reasonable tea that I found. So far, the stuff that I bought
from them is reasonable and about what I had hoped.

However, I was disappointed when the tea lady basically said
that they don't carry Puerhs at all, and they had only one
in stock due to some hype that it was receiving in health
markets. However, when she gave me a sample to try, it was
really more like a black tea that was given a bit of a Puerh
like overtone. It was a decent black tea, but certainly not
what I would be looking for in a Puerh.

I wonder why Puerh isn't very popular?

I can relate a historical view in the context of the
rec.food.drink.tea newsgroup. Back 10 to 15 years ago when
"anodyne" was providing the newsgroup reviews of whatever
tea she had recently acquired, it was believed by most on
this list that puerh tea was a moldy low grade tea packed in
bricks for ease of shipment. It is unlikely that anyone
using the list (mostly USA residents) had ever had any of
the better puerh teas that a Chinese acquaintance has
recently informed me exist, some reportedly very pricey.

Many of the people on the then list were possibly
influential in encouraging drinking good tea in their social
circles, leading to improved importation of good tea. They
would not have asked for puerh. I imagine that if enough
people experience good puerh (probably not at the local Wok
restaurant), there will be some interest expressed to
suppliers that could change the present situation.

Feel free to pass this to the newsgroup. It seems I can
only read from the newsgroup source I have, not post to it.

--
Aaron W. Hsu | | http://www.sacrideo.us
לֵ֤ב חֲכָמִים֙ בְּבֵ֣ית אֵ֔בֶל וְלֵ֥ב כְּסִילִ֖ים בְּבֵ֥ית שִׂמְחָֽה׃

Teavana leaf grade Space Cowboy Tea 5 12-12-2010 05:00 PM
Teavana Tung Ting Space Cowboy Tea 0 20-11-2009 05:33 PM
Teavana Larry Weil Tea 8 09-02-2009 01:32 AM
OK, now I'm officially tired of Teavana Dominic T. Tea 61 11-11-2008 06:36 PM
Loose green puerh and pressed teas that are not puerh. Mike Petro Tea 2 24-05-2005 12:31 PM