Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default My first green Darjeeling maybe

My local tea shoppe has been raving about a first flush 2009 Namring
they got in a month ago. The best in years they claimed. I brewed a
pot and it also struck me as no other Darjeeling Ive tasted. The dry
leaf is a GFOP with lots of white tip as the grade indicates. The
secret was revealed when I inspected the infused leaf which is green
with a trace of red oxidation. The faint muscatel taste sweet and
smells floral. My tongue puckered without any taste of harshness.
You have to hit the sweet spot when brewing. Id like to see more
green Darjeeling if this typical. I think too mild for breakfast but
it is on my list of evening teas. This is one of those teas that grow
on you.

Jim

PS I added the maybe because looking at the infused pictures of
Namring on the Internet they look green also.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 16, 4:48*pm, Space Cowboy > wrote:
> My local tea shoppe has been raving about a first flush 2009 Namring
> they got in a month ago. *The best in years they claimed. *I brewed a
> pot and it also struck me as no other Darjeeling Ive tasted. *The dry
> leaf is a GFOP with lots of white tip as the grade indicates. *The
> secret was revealed when I inspected the infused leaf which is green
> with a trace of red oxidation. *The faint muscatel taste sweet and
> smells floral. *My tongue puckered without any taste of harshness.
> You have to hit the sweet spot when brewing. *Id like to see more
> green Darjeeling if this typical. *I think too mild for breakfast but
> it is on my list of evening teas. *This is one of those teas that grow
> on you.
>
> Jim
>
> PS *I added the maybe because looking at the infused pictures of
> Namring on the Internet they look green also.

try singbulli, margarets hope and makaibari - they produce some nice
greens also ..
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I just so happened to have a green Makaibari that is a couple of years
old which I tried once and forgot. The dry and infused leaf looks the
same. The taste is different enough as could be expected. The owner
of the local British tea shoppe subsequently told me the Namring was
'hard withered' used to prevent oxidation to some extent. He does
carry a green Darjeeling perse which Ill compare and note any
differences.

Jim

On Oct 18, 11:30 pm, Ankit Lochan > wrote:
> On Oct 16, 4:48 pm, Space Cowboy > wrote:
> > My local tea shoppe has been raving about a first flush 2009 Namring
> > they got in a month ago.

....waiting for the green light...

Darjeeling Tea Kate Tea 0 09-04-2006 04:40 PM
Darjeeling Tea from direct Darjeeling Tea merchant benoythapa Tea 13 01-12-2004 05:46 AM
Green and/or Oolong Darjeeling Ralf Schreiner Tea 12 11-06-2004 10:16 AM
FF Darjeeling Michiel van der Kraats Tea 2 04-05-2004 12:19 PM
Darjeeling best before P.A.Saarinen Tea 5 29-01-2004 12:52 PM