P.A.Saarinen

Default Darjeeling best before

I just bought a box of Puttabong Darjeeling FTGFOP-1 first flush.
That's from last year, of course. The box says it's best before
November 2005. Ain't that a bit optimistic view?
Space Cowboy

Most commercial teas I've seen will give an ending date of one year
from packaging. This is a way to tell how old it is on the store
shelf. I have commercial teas with ending dates several years old
which are stored in a cool,dry,dark basement. Most of the discount
teas you see are past expiration date. I'll purchase if not more than
one year past expiration. One test if you can smell the tea it is
probably stale.

Jim

(P.A.Saarinen) wrote in message . com>...
> I just bought a box of Puttabong Darjeeling FTGFOP-1 first flush.
> That's from last year, of course. The box says it's best before
> November 2005. Ain't that a bit optimistic view?

Jon Nossen

"P.A.Saarinen" > wrote in message
om...
> I just bought a box of Puttabong Darjeeling FTGFOP-1 first

flush.
> That's from last year, of course. The box says it's best

before
> November 2005. Ain't that a bit optimistic view?

In speciality shops over here they sell teas labeled as
Darjeeling This Year's First Flush through the summer and autumn
at a very high price. The rest of the year they sell a
Darjeeling First Flush specified as *not* being this year's (but
they don't specify whether it's one year old or more). This tea
is clearly stale, which you can clearly see from what is usually
green leaves having turned much darker. To be fair, this tea is
sold at a much lower price, but it's really not worth the cost
at all.

Jon

Space Cowboy

You're right it wasn't a typo. Stale tea will still produce an aroma
however faint. If you can smell any aroma from packaging it has been
exposed to the elements. It is more noticeable if you shake the
package to expose the subsurface tea. My idea of freshness is
expiration date and sealed packaging. The British and Arabic labels
are the best and Indian and Russian labels are the worse as a general
rule of thumb. I don't have problems buying commercial tea and
storing as I suggested. I've got good sealed commercial tins
approaching five years old. I can never be certain they will taste
like new but some are my favorites and I know the taste. As I said
before everyone should have a stash of bunker tea. I'm always
prepared for a tea trade war.

Jim

We Cup Darjeeling Scott Dorsey Tea 15 04-05-2016 07:55 PM
Darjeeling Tea Kate Tea 0 09-04-2006 04:40 PM
Looking to try Darjeeling [email protected] Tea 14 27-11-2005 04:26 AM
Darjeeling Tea from direct Darjeeling Tea merchant benoythapa Tea 13 01-12-2004 04:46 AM
FF Darjeeling Michiel van der Kraats Tea 2 04-05-2004 12:19 PM