Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Making large amounts of iced tea efficiently

I love iced tea and often use loose darjelling 2nd flush from Stash
Tea.
Since I go through about 2 gallons a week and have limited time, I
like to make it on the weekend and have enough for the week in my
fridge.
Right now the process is time consuming and Im looking for more
efficient methods of making a large quantity of iced tea.

I filter my water in a brita pitcher and pour it in batches into a
lage pot.
I then boil the water in a large pot on the stove.
Then i add a large tea ball with measured amount of tea leaves
I remove the ball, add a lid to the pot and let it cool for 5 hours or
so.
Then i pour the tea into several pitchers (its hard not to spill since
the pot I use doesnt have a spout).
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On May 22, 11:09*am, techman41973 > wrote:
> I love iced tea and often use loose darjelling 2nd flush from Stash
> Tea.
> Since I go through about 2 gallons a week and have limited time, I
> like to make it on the weekend and have enough for the week in my
> fridge.
> Right now the process is time consuming and Im looking for more
> efficient methods of making a large quantity of iced tea.
>
> I filter my water in a brita pitcher and pour it in batches into a
> lage pot.
> I then boil the water in a large pot on the stove.
> Then i add a large tea ball with measured amount of tea leaves
> I remove the ball, add a lid to the pot and let it cool for 5 hours or
> so.
> Then i pour the tea into several pitchers (its hard not to spill since
> the pot I use doesnt have a spout).

Why not cut out the boiling stage and just let it steep in the
pitchers? You could make muslin teabags, each the right size for a
pitcher.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

This is how we made iced tea in the South when I was growing up. Boil
water in a large deep pan, turn off heat, add leaves, brew, stain into
pitcher, let cool to room temperature, add ice in glass, or after
pitcher somewhat cools put into icebox. Our iced tea was made daily.
If I wanted to make a week in advance, get one of those urns with the
spout you see in the fast food stores at restaurant supply. They hold
about five gallons. The tea would keep at room temperature if you
removed the leaves.

Jim

PS It was hard spotting this post among the junk. It could be
worse. It could be tea ads.

On May 22, 3:09 am, techman41973 > wrote:
> I love iced tea and often use loose darjelling 2nd flush from Stash
> Tea.
> Since I go through about 2 gallons a week and have limited time, I
> like to make it on the weekend and have enough for the week in my
> fridge.
> Right now the process is time consuming and Im looking for more
> efficient methods of making a large quantity of iced tea.
>
> I filter my water in a brita pitcher and pour it in batches into a
> lage pot.
> I then boil the water in a large pot on the stove.
> Then i add a large tea ball with measured amount of tea leaves
> I remove the ball, add a lid to the pot and let it cool for 5 hours or
> so.
> Then i pour the tea into several pitchers (its hard not to spill since
> the pot I use doesnt have a spout).

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Peter Brooks > writes:

> On May 22, 11:09Â*am, techman41973 > wrote:
> > I love iced tea and often use loose darjelling 2nd flush from Stash
> > Tea.
> > Since I go through about 2 gallons a week and have limited time, I
> > like to make it on the weekend and have enough for the week in my
> > fridge.
> > Right now the process is time consuming and Im looking for more
> > efficient methods of making a large quantity of iced tea.
> >
> > I filter my water in a brita pitcher and pour it in batches into a
> > lage pot.
> > I then boil the water in a large pot on the stove.
> > Then i add a large tea ball with measured amount of tea leaves
> > I remove the ball, add a lid to the pot and let it cool for 5 hours or
> > so.
> > Then i pour the tea into several pitchers (its hard not to spill since
> > the pot I use doesnt have a spout).
> >

> Why not cut out the boiling stage and just let it steep in the
> pitchers? You could make muslin teabags, each the right size for a
> pitcher.

Cold- (or room-temp-) brewed tea tastes different from tea brewed with
hot, let alone boiling, water. I like it both ways, depending on
weather and mood.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
recent addition: Wen Da
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Peter Brooks > wrote:

>Why not cut out the boiling stage and just let it steep in the
>pitchers? You could make muslin teabags, each the right size for a
>pitcher.

For years I did this, using coffee filters to make improvised large
teabags. However, my wife prefers the taste of iced tea made hot, so
I mostly do that since she's the main iced tea drinker here.
--scott