Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Tried tea with carbonated water

Had some seltzer water in the fridge (canned) and decided to brew some tea
with it. I chose a green tea because I figured boiling the water would
boil all the carbonation out of it. Even with the water only getting to
about 180 degrees most of the carbonation left. Next time I'll have to stop
at about 160 and see if that helps.

The overall flavor was mostly the same but lighter. Not bad. I'll give it
a try with a lower temp next time.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Dec 9, 11:09 pm, "Slint Flig" > wrote:
> Had some seltzer water in the fridge (canned) and decided to brew some tea
> with it. I chose a green tea because I figured boiling the water would
> boil all the carbonation out of it. Even with the water only getting to
> about 180 degrees most of the carbonation left. Next time I'll have to stop
> at about 160 and see if that helps.
>
> The overall flavor was mostly the same but lighter. Not bad. I'll give it
> a try with a lower temp next time.

It might be worth a try for iced tea in the summer, refrigerator
brewed. Toci
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Slint Flig > wrote:
>Had some seltzer water in the fridge (canned) and decided to brew some tea
>with it. I chose a green tea because I figured boiling the water would
>boil all the carbonation out of it. Even with the water only getting to
>about 180 degrees most of the carbonation left. Next time I'll have to stop
>at about 160 and see if that helps.

It won't.

>The overall flavor was mostly the same but lighter. Not bad. I'll give it
>a try with a lower temp next time.

Once the CO2 leaves, it's just like any other bottled water.
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Dec 10, 12:09 am, "Slint Flig" > wrote:
> Had some seltzer water in the fridge (canned) and decided to brew some tea
> with it. I chose a green tea because I figured boiling the water would
> boil all the carbonation out of it. Even with the water only getting to
> about 180 degrees most of the carbonation left. Next time I'll have to stop
> at about 160 and see if that helps.
>
> The overall flavor was mostly the same but lighter. Not bad. I'll give it
> a try with a lower temp next time.

I've tried Gerolsteiner (a mineral water with a sparkly quality) and
I've also added cold leftover green tea with a half-glass of mint
ginger ale. The Gerolsteiner didn't do much for me, but the mint-green
tea ginger ale was pretty nice.

Experimenting never hurts, except for sometimes when things go
horribly wrong.
- Dominic
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> Experimenting never hurts, except for sometimes when things go
> horribly wrong.

I completely agree. Tea, just like any hobby, gets a bit run of the mill,
and new ideas need to come in.

I'm going to try right now heating the carbonated water to merely "warm" and
brewing the tea for several minutes.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> I'm going to try right now heating the carbonated water to merely "warm"
and
> brewing the tea for several minutes.

Ok I did it, and the water remains somewhat effervescent. Could only heat
it up to about 130 and had to brew the tea for about 7 minutes to get any
flavor at all. Might be better with a teabag/fannings that would infuse
faster & easier at a lower temp.

The taste/mouthfeel is "tea-y" but rather "fuzzy" and almost medicinal
tasting. Kind of like I added alka seltzer to the tea. Not real pleasant,
quite frankly. Actually it's borderline disgusting. Oh well.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Dec 11, 4:58 am, "Slint Flig" > wrote:
> > I'm going to try right now heating the carbonated water to merely "warm"

> and
> > brewing the tea for several minutes.

> Ok I did it, and the water remains somewhat effervescent. Could only heat
> it up to about 130 and had to brew the tea for about 7 minutes to get any
> flavor at all. Might be better with a teabag/fannings that would infuse
> faster & easier at a lower temp.
>
> The taste/mouthfeel is "tea-y" but rather "fuzzy" and almost medicinal
> tasting. Kind of like I added alka seltzer to the tea. Not real pleasant,
> quite frankly. Actually it's borderline disgusting. Oh well.

heh, try the green tea (already brewed and cooled down) added to some
mint ginger ale (I use Tom Tucker Brand, it's clear and not some
artificial green hue) I guess a regular ginger ale would work but the
mint/green tea angle is what makes it. This summer I plan on making it
on purpose this time, and serve it like a punch.

- Dominic
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
War War is offline

Slint Flig wrote:
>> I'm going to try right now heating the carbonated water to merely "warm"

> and
>> brewing the tea for several minutes.

> Ok I did it, and the water remains somewhat effervescent. Could only heat
> it up to about 130 and had to brew the tea for about 7 minutes to get any
> flavor at all. Might be better with a teabag/fannings that would infuse
> faster & easier at a lower temp.
>
> The taste/mouthfeel is "tea-y" but rather "fuzzy" and almost medicinal
> tasting. Kind of like I added alka seltzer to the tea. Not real pleasant,
> quite frankly. Actually it's borderline disgusting. Oh well.

Ever try kombucha? It is slightly fizzy due to the fermentation and can
retain a lot of "tea-y" flavor

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog

How to naturally flavor home made carbonated soda water? Jim[_33_] General Cooking 58 15-01-2013 04:56 AM
ACK! My starter became carbonated! The REAL Pope Emperor FrogMaN Sourdough 12 01-10-2005 11:14 PM
Carbonated sparkler brands Leo Bueno Wine 8 26-12-2004 03:43 PM
carbonated banana wine Joe Winemaking 0 29-04-2004 04:03 PM
Fizzy,carbonated wine???? silverfox Winemaking 2 23-02-2004 10:14 PM