silverfox

Default Fizzy,carbonated wine????

I make a standard Welche's Grape Juice wine and I have noticed that the
wine is good ,but fizzy. My wife rather likes it, but I have not
experienced this phenomenon in the past using the same recipes. Is the
wine too young? Lack of alcohol? I use a hydrometer and is shows the wine
is 1.095. Also, I have a problem with foam when making wine. Anything, to
abate this problem or is it ok?

MikeMTM

Silverfox, It does indeed sound like your fizzy wine is just too young
and gassy. Aging it under an airlock usually helps, but there are other,
more active ways to degas wine too, such as stirring or shaking. Search
this group for a wealth of discussion on this topic.

I kinda think you're misreading the hydrometer reading. I probably is
actually indicating .095 Brix, not 1.095. 1.095 is probably above your
starting SG, while .095 is just about right for a dry fermented wine.

For the foaming, you can use a low foaming yeast like Cote des Blancs,
Prise de Mousse ( EC-1118), or Cotes du Rhone ( ICV D-47). They also
sell an anti foaming additive which disrupts the bubbles. I've never
used it, but some people have found it useful. See Jack Keller's site or
Lum Eisenman's for more info.

HTH, Mike MTM

Ray

Since you are drinking it, I assume it has been bottled. Correct? In that
case it could be one of 2 things. It could be that it was bottled too young
and is fermenting in the bottle. If so, that can be dangerous as you can be
making bombs. If it is dry, the second possibility is more likely. That is
that you bottled it too young and there was still trapped CO2 in the wine.
This can be forced out by stirring or it can be aged out by letting it bulk
age 6-12 months. But after it is bottled, it is just there. Some people
like it.

Ray

"silverfox" > wrote in message
30...
> I make a standard Welche's Grape Juice wine and I have noticed that the
> wine is good ,but fizzy. My wife rather likes it, but I have not
> experienced this phenomenon in the past using the same recipes. Is the
> wine too young? Lack of alcohol? I use a hydrometer and is shows the

wine
> is 1.095. Also, I have a problem with foam when making wine. Anything,

> abate this problem or is it ok?

My wine smells fizzy. Is this bad? Igor Winemaking 2 29-12-2005 06:17 PM
Fizzy red wine ... RogerD Winemaking 6 12-04-2005 03:51 PM
A question about "fizzy" wine LG1111 Winemaking 2 20-10-2004 03:15 AM
Fizzy kit wine help R-D-C Winemaking 6 13-10-2004 07:40 PM
carbonated banana wine Joe Winemaking 0 29-04-2004 04:03 PM