Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to naturally flavor home made carbonated soda water?

I can carbonate my water with a 20 pound tank of carbon dioxide,
but I'm having trouble flavoring this naturally carbonated soda water.

I tried zesting lemons & oranges in vodka to make lemon & orange extract,
but the flavor isn't strong enough for a natural soda at home.

Any ideas for natural flavors for soda water at home?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim wrote:
> I can carbonate my water with a 20 pound tank of carbon dioxide,
> but I'm having trouble flavoring this naturally carbonated soda water.
>
> I tried zesting lemons & oranges in vodka to make lemon & orange
> extract, but the flavor isn't strong enough for a natural soda at
> home.
>
> Any ideas for natural flavors for soda water at home?

You have to experiment, I'm afraid. One question I have is whether your
desired result is more like commercial "flavored selzer" or commercial
soda? Since you're making it yourself, you can have either or anywhere
in between.

Our most successful experiment has been cream soda, which is vanilla
soda with, or without, the addition of a small amount of milk or cream.
We use a simple recipe - simple syrup and vanilla extract in a 4:1
ratio, e.g., 1 cup of simple syrup (prepared from 1 cup of water and 1
cup of sugar) plus 1/4 cup of vanilla extract (store bought, homemade,
or some combination thereof). It's yummy and you can use a lot less
vanilla extract and it will still taste pretty good.

Any sort of fruit juice added to your carbonated water will make a
lovely soda, too, e.g., orange juice.

I confess absolutely no experience with flavored soda water (as opposed
to soda) - if that's what you're after, you're on your own.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim wrote:
> I can carbonate my water with a 20 pound tank of carbon dioxide,
> but I'm having trouble flavoring this naturally carbonated soda water.
>
> I tried zesting lemons & oranges in vodka to make lemon & orange extract,
> but the flavor isn't strong enough for a natural soda at home.
>
> Any ideas for natural flavors for soda water at home?

You can carbonate cheap apple juice; that makes a good drink.

Homemade ginger syrup will probably be your best bet. Or quinine
"tonic" syrup.

You can get Sodastream concentrates at Bed Bath & Beyond. And the way
they were pushing Sodastream kits this Christmas, it's probably
available lots of places now.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Susan wrote:

> Why not buy some natural lemon or other citrus extracts
> and use a drop or two?

That's exactly what I'm doing right now - only I make my own extracts
(since it's just zested citrus peels in ethanol).

The strongest ethanol I can find is 50% vodka (100 proof).
I make sure to avoid all the white under the citrus skin.

I'm told if I allow the alcohol in the lemon extract to dry, I will end
up with lemon oil - but I haven't tried making the oil just yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>
>> Any ideas for natural flavors for soda water at home?

Concentrated soda syrups may still be available by the gallon at locla
restaurant supply stores. The corny keg size is the most popular but
probably much too large for you.

> You can get Sodastream concentrates at Bed Bath & Beyond. And the way
> they were pushing Sodastream kits this Christmas, it's probably
> available lots of places now.

A vey good plan. We tried it. They are just as good as store bought
sodas. Then we looked into buying a Sodastream machine. It needs a
special filter very often. The filters are expensive enough to offset a
lot of the price difference. The machine isn't a good enough deal
considering total cost of ownership.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 27, 9:13*am, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
> > Jim wrote:

> >> Any ideas for natural flavors for soda water at home?

> Concentrated soda syrups may still be available by the gallon at locla
> restaurant supply stores. *The corny keg size is the most popular but
> probably much too large for you.
>
> > You can get Sodastream concentrates at Bed Bath & Beyond. *And the way
> > they were pushing Sodastream kits this Christmas, it's probably
> > available lots of places now.

> A vey good plan. *We tried it. *They are just as good as store bought
> sodas. *Then we looked into buying a Sodastream machine. *It needs a
> special filter very often. *The filters are expensive enough to offset a
> lot of the price difference. *The machine isn't a good enough deal
> considering total cost of ownership.

Coca Cola used to sell small fountain soda setups for breakrooms, but
pulled out of that business last year. But a company has stepped in to
sell one liter jugs of syrup for that market:

I remember when Detroit's F&M Distributors sold little bottles of Coca
Cola syrup as a nausea remedy. Here you go:

http://www.drugstore.com/flents-cola...qxp80274?tab=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Jim wrote:
>>
>>> Any ideas for natural flavors for soda water at home?

> Concentrated soda syrups may still be available by the gallon at locla
> restaurant supply stores. The corny keg size is the most popular but
> probably much too large for you.
>
>> You can get Sodastream concentrates at Bed Bath & Beyond. And the way
>> they were pushing Sodastream kits this Christmas, it's probably
>> available lots of places now.

> A vey good plan. We tried it. They are just as good as store bought
> sodas. Then we looked into buying a Sodastream machine. It needs a
> special filter very often. The filters are expensive enough to offset a
> lot of the price difference. The machine isn't a good enough deal
> considering total cost of ownership.

I make seltzer water just with cold tapwater in a 1 liter soft drink
bottle with a special cap that I made (metal tire valve stem or snifter
valve installed in a bottle cap) and a bulk CO2 tank with a tire chuck.
Set the regulator to about 60 PSI, and pressurize the bottle while
shaking it. Let it settle down for a minute or so, and it's ready.

You can also recarbonate 2-liter bottles of pop that have gone flat.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 27, 2012 4:53:43 AM UTC-6, Jim wrote:

> The strongest ethanol I can find is 50% vodka (100 proof).

Everclear.
http://www.petrocksliquors.com/?iVar=4171

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:
> there is a celery flavored, regional, commercial soda, Cel-Ray, with limited distribution.

I can get it here in California. In fact, I've got a bottle of it in my
fridge now; it's a good accompaniment to a reuben sandwich.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Jim wrote:
>>
>>> Any ideas for natural flavors for soda water at home?

> Concentrated soda syrups may still be available by the gallon at locla
> restaurant supply stores. The corny keg size is the most popular but
> probably much too large for you.
>
>> You can get Sodastream concentrates at Bed Bath & Beyond. And the
>> way they were pushing Sodastream kits this Christmas, it's probably
>> available lots of places now.

> A vey good plan. We tried it. They are just as good as store bought
> sodas. Then we looked into buying a Sodastream machine. It needs a
> special filter very often. The filters are expensive enough to
> offset a lot of the price difference. The machine isn't a good
> enough deal considering total cost of ownership.

We have a SodaStream (?) home soda gizmo, and you can buy flavorings to
make various sodas from them.

Here you go:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=128753

I know nothing about it needing a filter - we have filtered water in our
home (R/O) and we just use that.

The first item is the soda maker but the rest are all flavorings.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-12-26 15:14:06 +0000, Jim said:

> I can carbonate my water with a 20 pound tank of carbon dioxide,
> but I'm having trouble flavoring this naturally carbonated soda water.
>
> I tried zesting lemons & oranges in vodka to make lemon & orange extract,
> but the flavor isn't strong enough for a natural soda at home.
>
> Any ideas for natural flavors for soda water at home?

Likely not your preferred answer but I put a little Torani syrup,
frequently peach or almond in a glass, then fill it with ice and
carbonated water from my seltzer gizmo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 17:42:04 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> On 2012-12-26 15:14:06 +0000, Jim said:
>
> > I can carbonate my water with a 20 pound tank of carbon dioxide,
> > but I'm having trouble flavoring this naturally carbonated soda water.
> >
> > I tried zesting lemons & oranges in vodka to make lemon & orange extract,
> > but the flavor isn't strong enough for a natural soda at home.
> >
> > Any ideas for natural flavors for soda water at home?

> Likely not your preferred answer but I put a little Torani syrup,
> frequently peach or almond in a glass, then fill it with ice and
> carbonated water from my seltzer gizmo.

Have you ever put Torani Vanilla syrup in some milk and steamed it
with a frother? It's a wonderful warm drink on a cold day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 27, 7:16*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 15:14:06 +0000 (UTC), Jim wrote:
> > I can carbonate my water with a 20 pound tank of carbon dioxide,
> > but I'm having trouble flavoring this naturally carbonated soda water.

> > I tried zesting lemons & oranges in vodka to make lemon & orange extract,
> > but the flavor isn't strong enough for a natural soda at home.

> > Any ideas for natural flavors for soda water at home?

> Zergut makes pure fruit concentrates for Italian sodas and what not.
> All the flavors I've ever bought have just been fruit juice
> concentrates and sugar. *Whike most of the other brands (such as
> Torani) are just artificial flavors and sugar and/or HFCS.
>
> See page 55 of their Catalog:
>
> http://www.zergut.com/catalog/index.html
>
> Or:
>
> http://www.zergut.com/modules/search...yrup&toc=Syrup
>
> Doesn't look like Amazon carries them but I can find them at 2 upscale
> grocers in town. *And I think I saw some at Hole Foods

They're at the middle eastern stores over by here. I prefer Adriatic
brand to Zer Gut. (There's another brand, Adriatic something, that's
not as good, either)

The funny thing is that the sugar precipitates out if you put it in
the fridge, so I just leave it at room temperature.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 13:55:35 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> You can also recarbonate 2-liter bottles of pop that have gone flat.

> Can you do that with a half-full bottle, or do you have to transfer it
> to a smaller bottle?
>
> Ever had a bottle explode while filling it? That would be kinda
> spectacular.
>
> -sw

It works OK with a half-full bottle. I like to squeeze most of the air
out first, but it really shouldn't matter.

I've pressurized a bottle (mostly filled with water) to over 120 psi
without it bursting. I don't know what the burst strength is.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-12-28 01:50:43 +0000, sf said:

> On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 17:42:04 -0800, gtr > wrote:
>
>> On 2012-12-26 15:14:06 +0000, Jim said:
>>
>>> I can carbonate my water with a 20 pound tank of carbon dioxide,
>>> but I'm having trouble flavoring this naturally carbonated soda water.
>>>
>>> I tried zesting lemons & oranges in vodka to make lemon & orange extract,
>>> but the flavor isn't strong enough for a natural soda at home.
>>>
>>> Any ideas for natural flavors for soda water at home?

>> Likely not your preferred answer but I put a little Torani syrup,
>> frequently peach or almond in a glass, then fill it with ice and
>> carbonated water from my seltzer gizmo.

> Have you ever put Torani Vanilla syrup in some milk and steamed it
> with a frother? It's a wonderful warm drink on a cold day.

Sounds good but I don't got no frother. I'd have to froth in old school
and don't have the wrists for that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-12-28 02:12:07 +0000, The Other Guy said:

> On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 17:50:43 -0800, sf > wrote:
>

>> Have you ever put Torani Vanilla syrup in some milk and steamed it
>> with a frother? It's a wonderful warm drink on a cold day.

> OMGGGG!! WHY have I never heard of this place before??
>
> Cinnamon, cinnamon vanilla, raspberry, RED raspberry, BLUE raspberry,
> blood orange, cherry, cherry LIME, Irish cream, Italian EGGNOG!!
>
> I can see where I'm gonna go BROKE trying them all!!

During a spate when they wife couldn't drink I was trying to make her
faux cocktails with Torani syrups. We got four or five but she
couldn't get with them. Now I'm having fun with them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-12-28 03:16:17 +0000, Sqwertz said:

> Zergut makes pure fruit concentrates for Italian sodas and what not.
> All the flavors I've ever bought have just been fruit juice
> concentrates and sugar. Whike most of the other brands (such as
> Torani) are just artificial flavors and sugar and/or HFCS.
>
> http://www.zergut.com/modules/search...yrup&toc=Syrup

Interesting. There are a number of newer Persian and Armenian
supermarkets around here that stock all kind of Zergut products. We've
tried and enjoy lots of their pickles and shmears like ajvar, lutenica
and such.

> Doesn't look like Amazon carries them but I can find them at 2 upscale
> grocers in town. And I think I saw some at Hole Foods.
>
> And just to nit pick, what you are making is not "Naturally carbonated
> water". But I guess there is no such thing as "artificially
> carbonated water", either ;-)

Oh I don't care about all that, I hardly use the stuff anyway, but they
can be fun.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 22:21:23 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> On 2012-12-28 01:50:43 +0000, sf said:

> >> Likely not your preferred answer but I put a little Torani syrup,
> >> frequently peach or almond in a glass, then fill it with ice and
> >> carbonated water from my seltzer gizmo.

> > Have you ever put Torani Vanilla syrup in some milk and steamed it
> > with a frother? It's a wonderful warm drink on a cold day.

> Sounds good but I don't got no frother. I'd have to froth in old school
> and don't have the wrists for that.

My DD's first BF worked for Cost Plus (now called World Market) - he
gave me a milk frother for Christmas (and espresso pot) one year.
Wish I knew were that darned thing wound up... it disappeared after we
remodeled the kitchen. I didn't use the coffee pot very much, but I
really did like that little milk steamer and gave it quite a workout
during subsequent winters - long after he became a footnote of life.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 17:13:30 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger wrote:
>
>> A vey good plan. We tried it. They are just as good as store bought
>> sodas. Then we looked into buying a Sodastream machine. It needs a
>> special filter very often.

> I can't find anything about a Sodastream filter on the Net. And can't
> figure out why it would really need one.
>
> Why I wonder about is the CO2 delivery system, is it proprietary or
> can you get refills at any gas retailer?
>
> -sw

It's proprietary to the best of my knowledge - we buy ours at the place
we bought the system, an outfit called Chef Central.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 21:40:14 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Sqwertz
> wrote,
>If you're a sugar water and artificial flavor addict, then Torani is
>for you.

Their artificially sweetened sugarless syrups are good too. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim said:

>Any ideas for natural flavors for soda water at home?

Milk and Fox's U-Bet... egg cream.
I like vanilla egg creams too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote:

-snip-

>Anyone know what the old, circa 30s-50s, soda siphon (seltzer bottle)
>used for CO2. That era had CO2 powered pistols that used small
>cartridges.

Food grade CO2 cartridges-- About the same price online as the CO2
cartridges for pellet guns. Physically they are exactly the same.
I've not looked into whether they *really* are different.

[About 3/$1 on Amazon.]

>There are plenty of the old bottles on eBay; I've been tempted but
>unsure CO2 cart's were available.

I bought 3 on ebay for about $10each a few years ago. 2 are still
working fine. The 3rd never held a charge.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 20:33:06 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888 wrote:
>
>> On Dec 27, 7:16 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.zergut.com/modules/search...yrup&toc=Syrup
>>>
>>> Doesn't look like Amazon carries them but I can find them at 2 upscale
>>> grocers in town. And I think I saw some at Hole Foods.

>> They're at the middle eastern stores over by here. I prefer Adriatic
>> brand to Zer Gut. (There's another brand, Adriatic something, that's
>> not as good, either)
>>
>> The funny thing is that the sugar precipitates out if you put it in
>> the fridge, so I just leave it at room temperature.

> I've never kept them in the fridge. They must be fully saturated with
> sugar if even the slightest drop in temp causes them to crystalize.
>
> I forgot about the middle eastern stores. Our Phonecian bakery
> carries the while whole lineup. I'll look for the Adriatic brand.
>
> -sw

I was thinking that the tiny pics on that catalog page looked like
what I have seen in ME stores. I meant to stock up gradually
whenever I was in the area. The Indian stores also have some
syrups, some with fairly exotic flavors, starting with cardamom
and rose, but also getting to very interesting-looking blends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

David Harmon wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 21:40:14 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Sqwertz
> > wrote,
>> If you're a sugar water and artificial flavor addict, then Torani is
>> for you.

> Their artificially sweetened sugarless syrups are good too. :-)

DaVinci's SF syrups are also good (in general). I do wish they
would stop adding the artificial color though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> David Harmon wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 21:40:14 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Sqwertz
>> > wrote,
>>> If you're a sugar water and artificial flavor addict, then Torani is
>>> for you.

>> Their artificially sweetened sugarless syrups are good too. :-)

> DaVinci's SF syrups are also good (in general). I do wish they would
> stop adding the artificial color though.

I wonder if all those jars of homemade jelly I have in the pantry could
be made into soda syrup? (I make a couple of batches of jelly and jam
every year, but only use maybe a jar or two; the stuff piles up)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 26, 7:14*am, Jim > wrote:
> I can carbonate my water with a 20 pound tank of carbon dioxide,
> but I'm having trouble flavoring this naturally carbonated soda water.
>
> I tried zesting lemons & oranges in vodka to make lemon & orange extract,
> but the flavor isn't strong enough for a natural soda at home.
>
> Any ideas for natural flavors for soda water at home?

I just saw such a book on the remainder pile at one of the few
remaining new bookstores by me. Make a lemon syrup with juice, sugar,
and zest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 20:58:03 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 28-Dec-2012, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>> > I can't find anything about a Sodastream filter on the Net. And
>> > can't
>> > figure out why it would really need one.
>> >
>> > Why I wonder about is the CO2 delivery system, is it proprietary or
>> > can you get refills at any gas retailer?
>> >
>> > -sw

>> It's proprietary to the best of my knowledge - we buy ours at the
>> place
>> we bought the system, an outfit called Chef Central.
>>
>> -S-

>Anyone know what the old, circa 30s-50s, soda siphon (seltzer bottle)
>used for CO2. That era had CO2 powered pistols that used small
>cartridges.
>
>There are plenty of the old bottles on eBay; I've been tempted but
>unsure CO2 cart's were available.

I buy the CO2 cartridges at Bev Mo. I have a liter seltzer bottle and
make my own tonic water for gin and tonics.
I make my own flavoring syrups also, mostly jamica, and cream sodas.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 7:35*am, "l not -l" > wrote:
> On 29-Dec-2012, wrote:
> > I buy the CO2 cartridges at Bev Mo. I have a liter seltzer bottle and
> > make my own tonic water for gin and tonics.
> > I make my own flavoring syrups also, mostly jamica, and cream sodas.

> > koko

> *Thanks for the cartridge info. * Is jamica a typo for jicama; if not,
> *what is it? *Cream soda sounds great and probably pretty
> *straight-forward to make.

Jamaica is a hibiscus drink, popular in Mexican restaurants, in
dispensers next to the tamarindo and horchata.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...e-jamaica.html
>or
>http://tinyurl.com/cg5bdax

Darn you Koko!<g> -- I went from your link-- to the Hibiscus link
on Wikipedia- to a 'how I grow my own' blog - and on to Nichols seeds
[which the former link named], where I might just order my first
packet of seeds for the year.<g>
https://www.nicholsgardennursery.com...p?pid1091.html

The 'grower' says they like conditions similar to Okra, which I'm a
bit far north for-- but I've had luck with similar looking Hibiscus
before, so maybe we'll get a hot, wet, summer and I'll be rewarded.

In the meantime I'll keep my eyes open for a bag of buds. One of the
above links says hibiscus is the 'Zinger' in Red Zinger tea--
remembering that, I'm sure to start noticing hibiscus in my travels
henceforth.

>And here's how to make a syrup for cream soda.
>
>http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ream-soda.html
>or
>http://tinyurl.com/76vyhel

That's too easy-- I'm in.

>I love my soda syphon and use it several times a week.

We go in 'spurts' around here. Probably time to load them up for a
while.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 12:40*pm, "l not -l" > wrote:
> Lynne Rossetto Kasper's public radio show, The Splendid Table, has a
> segment this week on homemade flavored soda. *The show's promo blurb for
> this segment says: "If you want to do a party where people really pay
> attention to what they're drinking, try making your own craft sodas.
> These are the sodas that you can describe like wine; you can talk about
> the remarkable body, the delicious aftertaste. The guidebook is Homemade
> Soda by Andrew Schloss, a cookbook author who has never just skimmed a
> subject."

I think that's the book I saw on the remainder table. Check out your
local bookstore, if you still have one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 07:34:10 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >

>>> Thanks for the cartridge info. Is jamica a typo for jicama; if not,
>>> what is it? Cream soda sounds great and probably pretty
>>> straight-forward to make.

>>Here's the jamaica recipe. Sorry I mis-typed it in my post

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...e-jamaica.html
>>or
>>http://tinyurl.com/cg5bdax

>Darn you Koko!<g> -- I went from your link-- to the Hibiscus link
>on Wikipedia- to a 'how I grow my own' blog - and on to Nichols seeds
>[which the former link named], where I might just order my first
>packet of seeds for the year.<g>
>https://www.nicholsgardennursery.com...p?pid1091.html
>
>The 'grower' says they like conditions similar to Okra, which I'm a
>bit far north for-- but I've had luck with similar looking Hibiscus
>before, so maybe we'll get a hot, wet, summer and I'll be rewarded.
>
>In the meantime I'll keep my eyes open for a bag of buds. One of the
>above links says hibiscus is the 'Zinger' in Red Zinger tea--
>remembering that, I'm sure to start noticing hibiscus in my travels
>henceforth.
>

>>And here's how to make a syrup for cream soda.
>>
>>http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ream-soda.html
>>or
>>http://tinyurl.com/76vyhel

>That's too easy-- I'm in.
>

>>I love my soda syphon and use it several times a week.
>>

>We go in 'spurts' around here. Probably time to load them up for a
>while.
>
>Jim

I'll be happy to send you some dried hibiscus if you'd like.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-12-28 01:42:04 +0000, gtr said:

> Likely not your preferred answer but I put a little Torani syrup,
> frequently peach or almond in a glass, then fill it with ice and
> carbonated water from my seltzer gizmo.

We have a new surfas which opened here in OC ( culinarydistrict.com ).
We went there to find some non-finger-biting tongs. Got some for 89
cents, then bought some a tiny piece of 9 dollar muenster, pickled
beets and--the point--some Monin syrup.

They had a jillion flavors but only the apricot, pear and watermelon
appealed. At $8.40 a pop I bought one: The watermelon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

>> Likely not your preferred answer but I put a little Torani syrup,
>> frequently peach or almond in a glass, then fill it with ice and
>> carbonated water from my seltzer gizmo.

> We have a new surfas which opened here in OC ( culinarydistrict.com ).
> We went there to find some non-finger-biting tongs. Got some for 89
> cents, then bought some a tiny piece of 9 dollar muenster, pickled beets
> and--the point--some Monin syrup.
>
> They had a jillion flavors but only the apricot, pear and watermelon
> appealed. At $8.40 a pop I bought one: The watermelon.

Their pistachio syrup isn't bad. Most of the syrups I have are Torani
brand, but I do have the Monin pistachio.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> David Harmon wrote:
>>> On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 21:40:14 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Sqwertz
>>>
>>> Their artificially sweetened sugarless syrups are good too. :-)

>> DaVinci's SF syrups are also good (in general). I do wish they would
>> stop adding the artificial color though.
>>

> I wonder if all those jars of homemade jelly I have in the pantry could
> be made into soda syrup? (I make a couple of batches of jelly and jam
> every year, but only use maybe a jar or two; the stuff piles up)
>
> Bob

I have seen formulae for doing that and should have flagged them.
That seems like a great approach.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 22:51:21 -0500, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> David Harmon wrote:
>>> On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 21:40:14 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Sqwertz
>>> Their artificially sweetened sugarless syrups are good too. :-)

>> DaVinci's SF syrups are also good (in general). I do wish they
>> would stop adding the artificial color though.

> The reason I mentioned the Zergut is because they're the only ones I
> know of that are made with real fruit. Da Vinci has a lot of claims
> about how great their ingredients are without actually tell you what
> they ARE. So they're phony as well.
>
> -sw

Yes, I have gotten less enchanted with the DV syrups. Darn. Here
I just drove near the shops with the Zergut syrups and forgot to
stop. I did get a few before you suggested them and intended to

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 21:22:42 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
> > Jean B. wrote:

> >> DaVinci's SF syrups are also good (in general). I do wish they would
> >> stop adding the artificial color though.
> >>

> > I wonder if all those jars of homemade jelly I have in the pantry could
> > be made into soda syrup? (I make a couple of batches of jelly and jam
> > every year, but only use maybe a jar or two; the stuff piles up)
> >
> > Bob

> I have seen formulae for doing that and should have flagged them.
> That seems like a great approach.

Were they anything like this?
http://www.theyummylife.com/Flavored_Water