Posted to alt.food.sushi
MrcBrn

Default expiration of the fish

Preparing a fish of a day or two for the maximum for the sushi, how much
time can i conserve the cut fish?
How much time for the finished sushi?

Marco

.....my English is ugly, excuse me....

--

*** www.marcobruni.it ***

Posted to alt.food.sushi
Dan Logcher

MrcBrn wrote:
> Preparing a fish of a day or two for the maximum for the sushi, how much
> time can i conserve the cut fish?
> How much time for the finished sushi?
>
> Marco
>
> ....my English is ugly, excuse me....

No problem. I would recommend more than a day in advance
if that really saves you much time. You can clean and filet
the fish in advance, but when it comes to making the slices
for sushi.. you should do that right before making the nigiri
or maki.

Pre-slicing means the fish will have more exposed surface area
that can oxidize. Hope this helps.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi
MrcBrn

> You can clean and filet
> the fish in advance, but when it comes to making the slices
> for sushi.. you should do that right before making the nigiri
> or maki.

for how many time the filet and clean fish is good?

> Pre-slicing means the fish will have more exposed surface area
> that can oxidize. Hope this help

I had not considered it, right!

Thank you very much!

--

*** www.marcobruni.it ***

Posted to alt.food.sushi
Dan Logcher

MrcBrn wrote:

>>You can clean and filet
>>the fish in advance, but when it comes to making the slices
>>for sushi.. you should do that right before making the nigiri
>>or maki.

> for how many time the filet and clean fish is good?

How much time before can you clean and filet the fish?
A couple of days is fine. Wrap in plastic wrap and refridgerate.
Take it out before using and slice off what you need.. put the
rest back in. Use within 3 days, depending on the type of fish.
Some fish spoil at a quicker rate.

>>Pre-slicing means the fish will have more exposed surface area
>>that can oxidize. Hope this help

> I had not considered it, right!
>

> Thank you very much!

Good luck, have fun.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi
MrcBrn

Thanks!

Marco
--

*** www.marcobruni.it ***

"Dan Logcher" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> MrcBrn wrote:
>
> >>You can clean and filet
> >>the fish in advance, but when it comes to making the slices
> >>for sushi.. you should do that right before making the nigiri
> >>or maki.

> > for how many time the filet and clean fish is good?

> How much time before can you clean and filet the fish?
> A couple of days is fine. Wrap in plastic wrap and refridgerate.
> Take it out before using and slice off what you need.. put the
> rest back in. Use within 3 days, depending on the type of fish.
> Some fish spoil at a quicker rate.
>
> >>Pre-slicing means the fish will have more exposed surface area
> >>that can oxidize. Hope this help

> > I had not considered it, right!
> >

> > Thank you very much!

> Good luck, have fun.
>
> --
> Dan

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"MrcBrn" > wrote:
> Preparing a fish of a day or two for the maximum for the sushi, how much
> time can i conserve the cut fish?
> How much time for the finished sushi?
>
> Marco
>
> ....my English is ugly, excuse me....

No problem. Some Americans do worse. ;-))

Did you find your shamoji, hangiri and uchiwa?

I could probably get them for a song (not "O Solo Mio") in ShoTokyo.
How did your sushi meshi turn out?

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Posted to alt.food.sushi
Hal Burton

Hello Dan,

> MrcBrn wrote:
>
>>> You can clean and filet
>>> the fish in advance, but when it comes to making the slices
>>> for sushi.. you should do that right before making the nigiri
>>> or maki.

>> for how many time the filet and clean fish is good?
>>

> How much time before can you clean and filet the fish?
> A couple of days is fine. Wrap in plastic wrap and refridgerate.
> Take it out before using and slice off what you need.. put the
> rest back in. Use within 3 days, depending on the type of fish.
> Some fish spoil at a quicker rate.

This advice is general to any raw fish: it will stay fresher longer if you
keep it on ice. Place the wrapped fish in a bowl, put a zip-lock bag of crushed
ice on top, then place the entire thing into the refrigerator.

Also, you asked how long you can preserve the finished sushi. I would say
that it's not a good idea at all to try to preserve finished sushi in the
refrigerator, because the rice will dry out and the nori, if you are using
it, will become soggy in a matter of hours.

Posted to alt.food.sushi
Keith

I use one of the vacuum sealers from Tilia, the foodsaver. You can see
them at: http://foodsaver.jardendirect.com/ among other places. I think
they sell them in the Target stores, etc. now. When I get a new batch
of fish or whatever, I cut it into sections that I will use in a day or
two, freeze, then vacuum pack. This will keep things for a long time
with a cold freezer. It's preferable to freeze first, so the vacuum
unit won't suck water/juice up into the seal area. I do this will all
kinds of things besides sushi as well. Meats, veges, etc.

Posted to alt.food.sushi
Dan Logcher

Keith wrote:
> I use one of the vacuum sealers from Tilia, the foodsaver. You can see
> them at: http://foodsaver.jardendirect.com/ among other places. I think
> they sell them in the Target stores, etc. now. When I get a new batch
> of fish or whatever, I cut it into sections that I will use in a day or
> two, freeze, then vacuum pack. This will keep things for a long time
> with a cold freezer. It's preferable to freeze first, so the vacuum
> unit won't suck water/juice up into the seal area. I do this will all
> kinds of things besides sushi as well. Meats, veges, etc.

I have one of these also, and use it quite often. I've found that fish
does not last as well as other meats when frozen. I don't use it for
short term storage though. I usually don't buy a lot of extra fish unless
its going in the freezer.

You can vaccuum the meats before freezing, but it needs to be free of
loose liquid. I've found you can freeze marinades on a small cup and
place the frozen disc of marinade in with the meats and seal. Works well.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi
Musashi

"MrcBrn" > wrote in message
> Preparing a fish of a day or two for the maximum for the sushi, how much
> time can i conserve the cut fish?
> How much time for the finished sushi?
>
> Marco
>
> ....my English is ugly, excuse me....

Hi, late in reading your post but commenting anyway.
When the fish has been fileted (no head, no bones, no skin) you can expect
it to be good
for 3 days max fully wrapped and kept cold. Does not have to sit on ice, it
can sit on a steel pan, but
the important thing is that it be kept cold and it be as airtight as
possible.
Shiromi (white meat) fish if properly stored can actually
be used 4 to maximmum of 5 days, it is said, but in practice I don't know
anyone who does.
Or at least admits to it.
Oily unmarinated hikarimono such as fresh Iwashi or Aji should be kept with
the skin on, and
the skin removed just prior to eating.
As Dan said correctly, keep the filet in one piece, never slice until time
of eating.
Even a filet 1 day old if not properly wrapped, may require you to trim off
the dried edges.
As to the finished sushi, it is not worth storing beyond 1 day cooled. I
personally do not think it is
worth storing more than 30 min- hour. Sushimeshi (sushi rice) drys up
quickly and Nori gets wet and soft quickly.
Sushi was never intended to be made and stored, it was intended to be made
upon order and enjoyed when
made.

Musashi

Posted to alt.food.sushi
MrcBrn

it is a good idea, but I believed that the fish for the sushi did not have
to be frozen. Thanks.

Marco

--

*** www.marcobruni.it ***

"Keith" > ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
> I use one of the vacuum sealers from Tilia, the foodsaver. You can see
> them at: http://foodsaver.jardendirect.com/ among other places. I think
> they sell them in the Target stores, etc. now. When I get a new batch
> of fish or whatever, I cut it into sections that I will use in a day or
> two, freeze, then vacuum pack. This will keep things for a long time
> with a cold freezer. It's preferable to freeze first, so the vacuum
> unit won't suck water/juice up into the seal area. I do this will all
> kinds of things besides sushi as well. Meats, veges, etc.

Posted to alt.food.sushi
MrcBrn

"Hal Burton" > ha scritto nel messaggio
obal.net...

> >> for how many time the filet and clean fish is good?
> >>

> > How much time before can you clean and filet the fish?
> > A couple of days is fine. Wrap in plastic wrap and refridgerate.
> > Take it out before using and slice off what you need.. put the
> > rest back in. Use within 3 days, depending on the type of fish.
> > Some fish spoil at a quicker rate.

> This advice is general to any raw fish: it will stay fresher longer if you
> keep it on ice. Place the wrapped fish in a bowl, put a zip-lock bag of

crushed
> ice on top, then place the entire thing into the refrigerator.

a good idea

> Also, you asked how long you can preserve the finished sushi. I would say
> that it's not a good idea at all to try to preserve finished sushi in the
> refrigerator, because the rice will dry out and the nori, if you are using
> it, will become soggy in a matter of hours.

it is true, I have tried and is just therefore... I took care myself but of
the injurious effects of the fish conserved badly...

Posted to alt.food.sushi
MrcBrn

i'm not still successful to acquire those objects, but i'm in contact with a
person who is of the field, here in Italy, and that perhaps it can help me.
I am training myself, but it is difficult, who eats my things is satisfied,
but when I see those good ones, i understand that I still must study a
lot...
)

Marco

*** www.marcobruni.it ***

> ha scritto nel messaggio
> "MrcBrn" > wrote:
> > Preparing a fish of a day or two for the maximum for the sushi, how much
> > time can i conserve the cut fish?
> > How much time for the finished sushi?
> >
> > Marco
> >
> > ....my English is ugly, excuse me....

> No problem. Some Americans do worse. ;-))
>
> Did you find your shamoji, hangiri and uchiwa?
>
> I could probably get them for a song (not "O Solo Mio") in ShoTokyo.
> How did your sushi meshi turn out?
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
> their families:
> http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
>
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! !

!

Posted to alt.food.sushi
MrcBrn

you have reason perfectly, but normally it appeals to remain to table with
the friends while we eat the things that I prepare.
The preparation of sushi demand much time (for me) and therefore I have
always prepared the average food half day before.
I understand that it is not the maximum, but try to mediate...
Thanks for the councils.

Marco

--

*** www.marcobruni.it ***