ihaveAquestion!!!

Default expiration time for a cup of coffee

HOW LONG IS COFFEE GOOD FOR?

how long does coffee last? sometimes i finish my cup with 10 min. other
times, like today, my morning coffee is still half full. what if it
took me 1.5 hours to finish my cup when the expiration time is 1 hour
after pouring? or today i bought my coffee at 11am, but i didn't even
take a sip till like 12something. can i drink a 10am coffee at 1? can i
drink an 8am coffee at 3?

how long does coffee last?

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee
mjsmith1223

For best flavor drink the coffee within 20 minutes of brewing. As far
as adverse health effects from drinking coffee that's gone cold sitting
on your desk, I'm not aware of any unless you've put milk in it. You
can drink black coffee at 3pm that was poured at 8am though it might be
unspeakably foul tasting. If you're really worried about it, just
follow that old food service industry rule "When in doubt, throw it
out." Dump that cold, nasty coffee and get (or make) a fresh one.

Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee
Curmudgeon

In article . com>,
mjsmith1223 > wrote:

> For best flavor drink the coffee within 20 minutes of brewing. As far
> as adverse health effects from drinking coffee that's gone cold sitting
> on your desk, I'm not aware of any unless you've put milk in it. You
> can drink black coffee at 3pm that was poured at 8am though it might be
> unspeakably foul tasting. If you're really worried about it, just
> follow that old food service industry rule "When in doubt, throw it
> out." Dump that cold, nasty coffee and get (or make) a fresh one.

I refuse to waste "perfectly good" coffee even if it's a half-mug left
over from much earlier in the day. My solution? Fill the empty space
with chocolate milk and then nuke it. Presto! A reasonable facsimile
of mocha (or whatever the correct term for a coffee/chocolate mix is).

Waste not, want not. Works for me...

Curmudgeon
Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee
J. Clarke

Alan wrote:

> On 2 Nov 2005 18:12:42 -0800, "mjsmith1223" >
> wrote:
>
>>For best flavor drink the coffee within 20 minutes of brewing. As far
>>as adverse health effects from drinking coffee that's gone cold sitting
>>on your desk, I'm not aware of any unless you've put milk in it. You
>>can drink black coffee at 3pm that was poured at 8am though it might be
>>unspeakably foul tasting. If you're really worried about it, just
>>follow that old food service industry rule "When in doubt, throw it
>>out." Dump that cold, nasty coffee and get (or make) a fresh one.

> Because of my work situation, and liking good coffee, I've gotten used to
> drinking coffee after it has gotten to room temp.
>
> Long story short, I would rather drink room temperature black coffee than
> coffee that has been on a warmer for more than about 20 minutes!
>
> As far as how long it is "good"? Well, if it is black, nothing is going
> to spoil for a looong time. Hours, for sure, maybe days.
>
> As to what is better, a freshly brewed cup, or one that has gotten down to
> room temp -- no question, fresh is better!

You might want to see about getting a Nissan Thermos mug--one source for
most of the line is
<http://www.coffee-makers-espresso-machines.com/thermosnissan.html>. Keeps
coffee hot or soda cold for a remarkably long time.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.food.drink.coffee
mjsmith1223

I use both a Nissan Thermos mug and a 1-liter insulated bottle. The
mug will keep things hot for about 4-5 hours while the bottle will keep
the coffee hot all day. The flavor changes throughout the day, but
it's still a lot better than whatever is in the office carafe burning
on the warmer.