Default Receipe for zuke?

So in the old days when people couldn't keep fish fresh for long, they
would marinate it so it would last a little longer. Some purists to
this day don't like this idea and is considered a waste of fish
(especially some restaurants who take some high grade tuna and give it
the marinated or "zuke" (zoo keh) treatment.

I've had fantastic maguro (even chu-toro) zuke in Japan and quite good
versions in the SF Bay Area.

I was curious what ingredients, other than soy sauce and a few other
obvious ones, go into the marination? What makes one version taste
better than another?

Musashi

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> So in the old days when people couldn't keep fish fresh for long, they
> would marinate it so it would last a little longer. Some purists to
> this day don't like this idea and is considered a waste of fish
> (especially some restaurants who take some high grade tuna and give it
> the marinated or "zuke" (zoo keh) treatment.
>
> I've had fantastic maguro (even chu-toro) zuke in Japan and quite good
> versions in the SF Bay Area.
>
> I was curious what ingredients, other than soy sauce and a few other
> obvious ones, go into the marination? What makes one version taste
> better than another?

Nona gave a good general recipe. Zuke actually refers to the fish that has
been marinated.
The marinade itself is called Nikirijouyu. I personally have never tried it
with fatty fish like
chu-toro or Salmon. I tend to prefer the Akami of maguro or even Katso when
available.

Nona

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:34:53 GMT, "Musashi" >
wrote:

>The marinade itself is called Nikirijouyu. I personally have never tried it
>with fatty fish like
>chu-toro or Salmon. I tend to prefer the Akami of maguro or even Katso when
>available.

If I was doing chutoro or salmon, 20-30 minutes max. It will be a
shame destroying the beautiful color of chutoro. Unfortunately, I
never acquired the taste of maguro (akami) much (too much like raw
beef), but enjoy chutoro.

Lately, my favorites have been uni, hamachi, chutoro, and hotategai.
I can eat these every day! Good quality uni is just incredible tasting
and melts in your mouth.

Musashi

"Nona" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:34:53 GMT, "Musashi" >
> wrote:
>
> >The marinade itself is called Nikirijouyu. I personally have never tried

it
> >with fatty fish like
> >chu-toro or Salmon. I tend to prefer the Akami of maguro or even Katso

when
> >available.
> >

> If I was doing chutoro or salmon, 20-30 minutes max. It will be a
> shame destroying the beautiful color of chutoro. Unfortunately, I
> never acquired the taste of maguro (akami) much (too much like raw
> beef), but enjoy chutoro.

Same with me...akami tastes bland at best and blood at worst to me.
I enjoy Katsuo no Tataki only because of the strong yakumi that it's
smothered in.

> Lately, my favorites have been uni, hamachi, chutoro, and hotategai.
> I can eat these every day! Good quality uni is just incredible tasting
> and melts in your mouth.

I've had hotate that's great and hotate that was bland.
Here the taste is so subtle to start with that it has to be super fresh.
Strangely, the same argument applies to Uni where the taste is hardly
subtle.

Thanks to Mushashi and Nona for explaining zuke. :-)

> > >The marinade itself is called Nikirijouyu. I personally have never

tried
> it
> > >with fatty fish like
> > >chu-toro or Salmon. I tend to prefer the Akami of maguro or even

Katso
> when
> > >available.

Chu-toro zuke is fantastic. One itamae in San Francisco has mastered
ika zuke as well. Kind of funny to see a white piece of squid with a
twist of coffee coloring. Never had salmon before and even the most
skilled itamaes here only use maguro.

> > If I was doing chutoro or salmon, 20-30 minutes max. It will be a
> > shame destroying the beautiful color of chutoro. Unfortunately, I
> > never acquired the taste of maguro (akami) much (too much like raw
> > beef), but enjoy chutoro.

What makes chu-toro zuke taste even better is with a little searing on
the outside, similar to how they prepare katsuo or shiro maguro
tattaki. Oh man you are making me hungry....seared marinated raw beef
sushi (especially if using kobe beef quality beef...)

> Same with me...akami tastes bland at best and blood at worst to me.
> I enjoy Katsuo no Tataki only because of the strong yakumi that it's
> smothered in.

Akami can be boring, but hon maguro akami I never say no to :-)

> I've had hotate that's great and hotate that was bland.
> Here the taste is so subtle to start with that it has to be super

fresh.
> Strangely, the same argument applies to Uni where the taste is hardly
> subtle.

I love fresh Japanese Uni which has a darker orange tone, but it's
rarely available at one of the sushi bars I go to.

Musashi

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks to Mushashi and Nona for explaining zuke. :-)

> tried
> > it

> Katso
> > when

> Chu-toro zuke is fantastic. One itamae in San Francisco has mastered
> ika zuke as well. Kind of funny to see a white piece of squid with a
> twist of coffee coloring. Never had salmon before and even the most
> skilled itamaes here only use maguro.

Never tried either but sounds interesting.
My only problem is that I wondre if I could ever pass up having good
Chu-toro straight.
The Ika-zuke sounds pretty unique, although I've had raw ika in a Matsumae
zuke
where it was soaked in a shouyu-konbu dashi, so I can sort if imagine it in
my mind.

> > > If I was doing chutoro or salmon, 20-30 minutes max. It will be a
> > > shame destroying the beautiful color of chutoro. Unfortunately, I
> > > never acquired the taste of maguro (akami) much (too much like raw
> > > beef), but enjoy chutoro.

> What makes chu-toro zuke taste even better is with a little searing on
> the outside, similar to how they prepare katsuo or shiro maguro
> tattaki. Oh man you are making me hungry....seared marinated raw beef
> sushi (especially if using kobe beef quality beef...)

I know that both Oo-toro and Chu-toro seared, called Aburi toro has become
somewhat popular in some places in Japan.
But I've yet to see it here in the US.

> > Same with me...akami tastes bland at best and blood at worst to me.
> > I enjoy Katsuo no Tataki only because of the strong yakumi that it's
> > smothered in.

> Akami can be boring, but hon maguro akami I never say no to :-)
>
> > I've had hotate that's great and hotate that was bland.
> > Here the taste is so subtle to start with that it has to be super

> fresh.
> > Strangely, the same argument applies to Uni where the taste is hardly
> > subtle.

> I love fresh Japanese Uni which has a darker orange tone, but it's
> rarely available at one of the sushi bars I go to.

I wonder what particular species is that dark orange.
I had always assumed that it was merely the season or locale where caught
that was behind the darker color.

I think I first had aburi maguro in Osaka back in 1999. It was just one
of those run of the mill sushi bars in the underground complex by the
train station (near Daimaru). They recommended it and said it was
maguro tattaki. It was more like a maguro zuke, seared on the outside.

Later that summer I told one of the itamae's at a sushi restaurant I
used to frequent, and he claimed he already had that idea for o-toro,
but never really publicized it (yeah right!). So he called his creation
o-toro tattaki. Basically taking two slices, flash grilling them, then
dab some orange minced ginger, negi, and maybe a wee bit of garlic on
the top, then finally dashing some ponzu over it. The end result was
amazing and it was a big hit with the patrons. I haven't been back in a
while, but the chef sometimes comes up with these interesting
creations.

I've asked a current favorite restaurant's itamae to prepare something
similar and the results were even more amazing. The caveat is that they
charge $20 for a pair of otoro, but it is very high quality Spanish
blue-fin (and bigger pieces than the other place). Instead of throwing
it on the grill, they master the control of the searing degree by using
a creme brulee torch. This gives a slightly different flavor, but at
least the searing is more even on the outside (you can still achieve a
pink center like a medium rare steak).
The same restaurant once served lightly seared uni (in gunkan) using
the same method, and the carmelization really brought out the flavor. I
think I mentioned a while ago of another chef elsewhere doing the same
for shirako in gunkan (lightly searing it for the same effect).

Bottom line is that with aburi toro, you really have to ask for it at
least here. Some will have no clue, and those who never tried serving
it that way before might stumble. I'd rather leave it in the able hands
of 2 to 3 of my favorite places, and leave it at that :-).

Btw the creme brulee torch searing/aburi seems to work great with good
quality shiro maguro, especially bincho (plus ginger + negi + garlic +
ponzu). :-) Also fantastic with engawa (though a toaster oven can do
the same job, given the right amount of heat).

Musashi

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I think I first had aburi maguro in Osaka back in 1999. It was just one
> of those run of the mill sushi bars in the underground complex by the
> train station (near Daimaru). They recommended it and said it was
> maguro tattaki. It was more like a maguro zuke, seared on the outside.
>
> Later that summer I told one of the itamae's at a sushi restaurant I
> used to frequent, and he claimed he already had that idea for o-toro,
> but never really publicized it (yeah right!). So he called his creation
> o-toro tattaki. Basically taking two slices, flash grilling them, then
> dab some orange minced ginger, negi, and maybe a wee bit of garlic on
> the top, then finally dashing some ponzu over it. The end result was
> amazing and it was a big hit with the patrons. I haven't been back in a
> while, but the chef sometimes comes up with these interesting
> creations.
>
> I've asked a current favorite restaurant's itamae to prepare something
> similar and the results were even more amazing. The caveat is that they
> charge $20 for a pair of otoro, but it is very high quality Spanish
> blue-fin (and bigger pieces than the other place). Instead of throwing
> it on the grill, they master the control of the searing degree by using
> a creme brulee torch. This gives a slightly different flavor, but at
> least the searing is more even on the outside (you can still achieve a
> pink center like a medium rare steak).
> The same restaurant once served lightly seared uni (in gunkan) using
> the same method, and the carmelization really brought out the flavor. I
> think I mentioned a while ago of another chef elsewhere doing the same
> for shirako in gunkan (lightly searing it for the same effect).
>
> Bottom line is that with aburi toro, you really have to ask for it at
> least here. Some will have no clue, and those who never tried serving
> it that way before might stumble. I'd rather leave it in the able hands
> of 2 to 3 of my favorite places, and leave it at that :-).
>
> Btw the creme brulee torch searing/aburi seems to work great with good
> quality shiro maguro, especially bincho (plus ginger + negi + garlic +
> ponzu). :-) Also fantastic with engawa (though a toaster oven can do
> the same job, given the right amount of heat).

Wow. I got very hungry reading all this.
I really hope these aburi style sushi catch on here in the US.

Musashi

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I think I first had aburi maguro in Osaka back in 1999. It was just one
> of those run of the mill sushi bars in the underground complex by the
> train station (near Daimaru). They recommended it and said it was
> maguro tattaki. It was more like a maguro zuke, seared on the outside.
>
> Later that summer I told one of the itamae's at a sushi restaurant I
> used to frequent, and he claimed he already had that idea for o-toro,
> but never really publicized it (yeah right!). So he called his creation
> o-toro tattaki. Basically taking two slices, flash grilling them, then
> dab some orange minced ginger, negi, and maybe a wee bit of garlic on
> the top, then finally dashing some ponzu over it. The end result was
> amazing and it was a big hit with the patrons. I haven't been back in a
> while, but the chef sometimes comes up with these interesting
> creations.
>
> I've asked a current favorite restaurant's itamae to prepare something
> similar and the results were even more amazing. The caveat is that they
> charge $20 for a pair of otoro, but it is very high quality Spanish
> blue-fin (and bigger pieces than the other place). Instead of throwing
> it on the grill, they master the control of the searing degree by using
> a creme brulee torch. This gives a slightly different flavor, but at
> least the searing is more even on the outside (you can still achieve a
> pink center like a medium rare steak).
> The same restaurant once served lightly seared uni (in gunkan) using
> the same method, and the carmelization really brought out the flavor. I
> think I mentioned a while ago of another chef elsewhere doing the same
> for shirako in gunkan (lightly searing it for the same effect).
>
> Bottom line is that with aburi toro, you really have to ask for it at
> least here. Some will have no clue, and those who never tried serving
> it that way before might stumble. I'd rather leave it in the able hands
> of 2 to 3 of my favorite places, and leave it at that :-).
>
> Btw the creme brulee torch searing/aburi seems to work great with good
> quality shiro maguro, especially bincho (plus ginger + negi + garlic +
> ponzu). :-) Also fantastic with engawa (though a toaster oven can do
> the same job, given the right amount of heat).

Wow. I got very hungry reading all this.
I really hope these aburi style sushi catch on here in the US.

Just for clarification: does aburi refer to the act of searing only
or does it include searing, pre-marination, and/or toppings (e.g.
minced gari, negi, garlic, ponzu sauce etc)?

I just noticed that the best kaiten sushi place in my area (the only
one that is run by Japanese!) offers a aburi maguro zuke. The cut is a
bit above regular maguro, but not quite chu-toro.

Certain sushi items certainly benefit from the searing/aburi and/or
pre-marinated/zuke treatment. The guy who I think benefited from my
idea of maguro tattaki in Osaka, who "invented" otoro-tattaki started
serving something quite interesting 2 years ago. Basically Japanese
hamachi sushi; the fish is quickly seared/heated on the grill, and
served with a dash of a Japanese spice on top (a dab) that has flavors
of lemon (yuzu?) and pepper on it. Quite a unique combination and
taste...is this popular in Japan?
Same guy also serves Japanese snow crab nigiri with dabs of kani miso
on top (only upon request!)

Musashi

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Just for clarification: does aburi refer to the act of searing only
> or does it include searing, pre-marination, and/or toppings (e.g.
> minced gari, negi, garlic, ponzu sauce etc)?

Actually the verb Aburu includes to sear, roast, grill.
A good example is how a sheet of nori is lightly "roasted" over a flame
before use.....Nori wo karuku aburu (lightly roast the seaweed).
It has nothing to do with the toppings etc.

> I just noticed that the best kaiten sushi place in my area (the only
> one that is run by Japanese!) offers a aburi maguro zuke. The cut is a
> bit above regular maguro, but not quite chu-toro.
>
> Certain sushi items certainly benefit from the searing/aburi and/or
> pre-marinated/zuke treatment. The guy who I think benefited from my
> idea of maguro tattaki in Osaka, who "invented" otoro-tattaki started
> serving something quite interesting 2 years ago. Basically Japanese
> hamachi sushi; the fish is quickly seared/heated on the grill, and
> served with a dash of a Japanese spice on top (a dab) that has flavors
> of lemon (yuzu?) and pepper on it.

That is probably Yuzugoshou (sometimes written yuzukoshou) where
yuzu + koshou(pepper). It is mostly a product of Northern Kyuushu,
and while available in green or red, most of the ones you see are green.
Some of the best ones are in unlabled little jars made by small yuzu farms
in the country.

> Quite a unique combination and
> taste...is this popular in Japan?

It is fairly well known but not as popular as it should be. In Japan
sometimes you'll
see a jar of it in a Udon shop.
Personally, I always use yuzugoshou on yudoufu, and occasionally on Hirame
where it
can be a fine change from the usual momijioroshi.

> Same guy also serves Japanese snow crab nigiri with dabs of kani miso
> on top (only upon request!)

Ahh..he is buying snow crab whole then, not just legs.

Musashi

oups.com...

Musashi wrote:
> Actually the verb Aburu includes to sear, roast, grill.
> A good example is how a sheet of nori is lightly "roasted" over a

flame
> before use.....Nori wo karuku aburu (lightly roast the seaweed).
> It has nothing to do with the toppings etc.

Thanks for the clarification. Only one itamae in San Francisco (Ino
Sushi) does the "roasting" of the nori. He preheats it in an electric
grill (clam style lids), so the end result is a very crispy tasting
norimaki or temaki. I wish more chefs would take that extra step! He's
the same guy who has a nice ika zuke, and has artfully served Japanese
ika nigiri last time I had omkase with a small dab of mentaiko on the
inside (between the rice and the bottom side of the ika slice).

> That is probably Yuzugoshou (sometimes written yuzukoshou) where
> yuzu + koshou(pepper). It is mostly a product of Northern Kyuushu,
> and while available in green or red, most of the ones you see are

green.
> Some of the best ones are in unlabled little jars made by small yuzu

farms
> in the country.

Yes it is exactly as you described. The pepper grinds are fine small
almost like tiny spheres, and are indeed green. Definitely would work
good on shiromi in general.

> > Same guy also serves Japanese snow crab nigiri with dabs of kani

miso
> > on top (only upon request!)

> Ahh..he is buying snow crab whole then, not just legs.

Not really. I believe he just gets the legs. I believe the kani miso
came from a round tin jar/can (similar to a small shoe polish container
in the old days). Definitely from Japan. He showed it to me a while
ago, though I never saw the lid.

On an unrelated note, have you (or Nona/anyone else) ever had hotaru
ika (baby squid), the small whole little ones? Definitely a seasonal
item, but what fascinates me is the sweet miso paste sauce that some
chefs artfully create and serve with it (either a small amount on the
gunkan, or as a side of dipping sauce if served as sashimi). Does
anyone know where I can find this sauce, or how to make it (if anyone
knows what I'm talking about?)

barry

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:23:57 GMT, "Musashi" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
roups.com...
>> Certain sushi items certainly benefit from the searing/aburi and/or
>> pre-marinated/zuke treatment. The guy who I think benefited from my
>> idea of maguro tattaki in Osaka, who "invented" otoro-tattaki started
>> serving something quite interesting 2 years ago. Basically Japanese
>> hamachi sushi; the fish is quickly seared/heated on the grill, and
>> served with a dash of a Japanese spice on top (a dab) that has flavors
>> of lemon (yuzu?) and pepper on it.

>That is probably Yuzugoshou (sometimes written yuzukoshou) where
>yuzu + koshou(pepper). It is mostly a product of Northern Kyuushu,
>and while available in green or red, most of the ones you see are green.
>Some of the best ones are in unlabled little jars made by small yuzu farms
>in the country.
>
>> Quite a unique combination and
>> taste...is this popular in Japan?

>It is fairly well known but not as popular as it should be. In Japan
>sometimes you'll
>see a jar of it in a Udon shop.

i've asked various itamae about it - it seems to be used to complement
not just taste - but texture as well - in conjunction with something
with a slippery "mouth-feel" texture.

at home i use it on seared salmon belly & eat it chirashi style.

while that's the common way i get it at a restaurant i've also had it
served with uni.

>Personally, I always use yuzugoshou on yudoufu,

yes, in dashi with a little bit on ponzu. istarted eating that after
you mentioned it although when i get lazy i use chicken bouillon
instead of dashi.

>and occasionally on Hirame where it
>can be a fine change from the usual momijioroshi.

i prefer just yuzu with a sprinkling of sea salt on my whitefish
although i usually get engawa served with ponzu & red daikon, etc
unless it's been seared.

barry

wrote:

> wrote in message
roups.com...
>> Certain sushi items certainly benefit from the searing/aburi and/or
>> pre-marinated/zuke treatment. The guy who I think benefited from my
>> idea of maguro tattaki in Osaka, who "invented" otoro-tattaki started
>> serving something quite interesting 2 years ago. Basically Japanese
>> hamachi sushi; the fish is quickly seared/heated on the grill, and
>> served with a dash of a Japanese spice on top (a dab) that has flavors
>> of lemon (yuzu?) and pepper on it.

>That is probably Yuzugoshou (sometimes written yuzukoshou) where
>yuzu + koshou(pepper). It is mostly a product of Northern Kyuushu,
>and while available in green or red, most of the ones you see are green.
>Some of the best ones are in unlabled little jars made by small yuzu farms
>in the country.
>
>> Quite a unique combination and
>> taste...is this popular in Japan?

>It is fairly well known but not as popular as it should be. In Japan
>sometimes you'll
>see a jar of it in a Udon shop.

i've asked various itamae about it - it seems to be used to complement
not just taste - but texture as well - in conjunction with something
with a slippery "mouth-feel" texture.

at home i use it on seared salmon belly & eat it chirashi style.

while that's the common way i get it at a restaurant i've also had it
served with uni.

>Personally, I always use yuzugoshou on yudoufu,

yes, in dashi with a little bit on ponzu. istarted eating that after
you mentioned it although when i get lazy i use chicken bouillon
instead of dashi.

>and occasionally on Hirame where it
>can be a fine change from the usual momijioroshi.

i prefer just yuzu with a sprinkling of sea salt on my whitefish
although i usually get engawa served with ponzu & red daikon, etc
unless it's been seared.

What you have described Nona, sounds correct! Thanks for the pointer.
I'll have to check my local Mitsuwa or Nijiya markets and see if they
carry that. My itamae once said something that sounds like suimiso and
I thought he was speaking english "sweet miso".

I learn so much here! :-)

Nona

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 00:44:33 GMT, Nona >
wrote:

Here is two versions of sumiso recipe in case you can't find it in the
store

Sumiso

70 white miso
2 T rice vinegar
1 T sugar
3 T mirin
2 T dashi

Combine all

Karashi Sumiso

To the above, add 1 tsp karashi (Japanese style hot mustard)

That's it.

Nona

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 01:21:12 GMT, Nona >
wrote:

Ugh, I should read my posts before submitting. White miso is 70 gram.

>On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 00:44:33 GMT, Nona >
>wrote:
>
>Here are two versions of sumiso recipe in case you can't find it in the
>store
>
>Sumiso
>
>70g white miso
>2 T rice vinegar
>1 T sugar
>3 T mirin
>2 T dashi
>
>Combine all
>
>Karashi Sumiso
>
>To the above, add 1 tsp karashi (Japanese style hot mustard)
>
>That's it.

Musashi

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Musashi wrote:
> > Actually the verb Aburu includes to sear, roast, grill.
> > A good example is how a sheet of nori is lightly "roasted" over a

> flame
> > before use.....Nori wo karuku aburu (lightly roast the seaweed).
> > It has nothing to do with the toppings etc.

> Thanks for the clarification. Only one itamae in San Francisco (Ino
> Sushi) does the "roasting" of the nori. He preheats it in an electric
> grill (clam style lids), so the end result is a very crispy tasting
> norimaki or temaki. I wish more chefs would take that extra step! He's
> the same guy who has a nice ika zuke, and has artfully served Japanese
> ika nigiri last time I had omkase with a small dab of mentaiko on the
> inside (between the rice and the bottom side of the ika slice).
>
> > That is probably Yuzugoshou (sometimes written yuzukoshou) where
> > yuzu + koshou(pepper). It is mostly a product of Northern Kyuushu,
> > and while available in green or red, most of the ones you see are

> green.
> > Some of the best ones are in unlabled little jars made by small yuzu

> farms
> > in the country.

> Yes it is exactly as you described. The pepper grinds are fine small
> almost like tiny spheres, and are indeed green. Definitely would work
> good on shiromi in general.
>

> > > Same guy also serves Japanese snow crab nigiri with dabs of kani

> miso
> > > on top (only upon request!)

> > Ahh..he is buying snow crab whole then, not just legs.

> Not really. I believe he just gets the legs. I believe the kani miso
> came from a round tin jar/can (similar to a small shoe polish container
> in the old days). Definitely from Japan. He showed it to me a while
> ago, though I never saw the lid.

Oh yes, I forgot that kani miso is available in cans.

> On an unrelated note, have you (or Nona/anyone else) ever had hotaru
> ika (baby squid), the small whole little ones? Definitely a seasonal
> item, but what fascinates me is the sweet miso paste sauce that some
> chefs artfully create and serve with it (either a small amount on the
> gunkan, or as a side of dipping sauce if served as sashimi). Does
> anyone know where I can find this sauce, or how to make it (if anyone
> knows what I'm talking about?)

That's the little squid that you eat live right?
I've never had it. I've only seen it on TV.

Musashi

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Musashi wrote:
> > Actually the verb Aburu includes to sear, roast, grill.
> > A good example is how a sheet of nori is lightly "roasted" over a

> flame
> > before use.....Nori wo karuku aburu (lightly roast the seaweed).
> > It has nothing to do with the toppings etc.

> Thanks for the clarification. Only one itamae in San Francisco (Ino
> Sushi) does the "roasting" of the nori. He preheats it in an electric
> grill (clam style lids), so the end result is a very crispy tasting
> norimaki or temaki. I wish more chefs would take that extra step! He's
> the same guy who has a nice ika zuke, and has artfully served Japanese
> ika nigiri last time I had omkase with a small dab of mentaiko on the
> inside (between the rice and the bottom side of the ika slice).
>
> > That is probably Yuzugoshou (sometimes written yuzukoshou) where
> > yuzu + koshou(pepper). It is mostly a product of Northern Kyuushu,
> > and while available in green or red, most of the ones you see are

> green.
> > Some of the best ones are in unlabled little jars made by small yuzu

> farms
> > in the country.

> Yes it is exactly as you described. The pepper grinds are fine small
> almost like tiny spheres, and are indeed green. Definitely would work
> good on shiromi in general.
>

> > > Same guy also serves Japanese snow crab nigiri with dabs of kani

> miso
> > > on top (only upon request!)

> > Ahh..he is buying snow crab whole then, not just legs.

> Not really. I believe he just gets the legs. I believe the kani miso
> came from a round tin jar/can (similar to a small shoe polish container
> in the old days). Definitely from Japan. He showed it to me a while
> ago, though I never saw the lid.

Oh yes, I forgot that kani miso is available in cans.

> On an unrelated note, have you (or Nona/anyone else) ever had hotaru
> ika (baby squid), the small whole little ones? Definitely a seasonal
> item, but what fascinates me is the sweet miso paste sauce that some
> chefs artfully create and serve with it (either a small amount on the
> gunkan, or as a side of dipping sauce if served as sashimi). Does
> anyone know where I can find this sauce, or how to make it (if anyone
> knows what I'm talking about?)

That's the little squid that you eat live right?
I've never had it. I've only seen it on TV.

Musashi

"barry" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:23:57 GMT, "Musashi" >
> wrote:
>

> > wrote in message
> roups.com...
> >> Certain sushi items certainly benefit from the searing/aburi and/or
> >> pre-marinated/zuke treatment. The guy who I think benefited from my
> >> idea of maguro tattaki in Osaka, who "invented" otoro-tattaki started
> >> serving something quite interesting 2 years ago. Basically Japanese
> >> hamachi sushi; the fish is quickly seared/heated on the grill, and
> >> served with a dash of a Japanese spice on top (a dab) that has flavors
> >> of lemon (yuzu?) and pepper on it.

> >That is probably Yuzugoshou (sometimes written yuzukoshou) where
> >yuzu + koshou(pepper). It is mostly a product of Northern Kyuushu,
> >and while available in green or red, most of the ones you see are green.
> >Some of the best ones are in unlabled little jars made by small yuzu

farms
> >in the country.
> >
> >> Quite a unique combination and
> >> taste...is this popular in Japan?

> >It is fairly well known but not as popular as it should be. In Japan
> >sometimes you'll
> >see a jar of it in a Udon shop.

> i've asked various itamae about it - it seems to be used to complement
> not just taste - but texture as well - in conjunction with something
> with a slippery "mouth-feel" texture.
>
> at home i use it on seared salmon belly & eat it chirashi style.
>
> while that's the common way i get it at a restaurant i've also had it
> served with uni.

Really? I've hardly ever seen Yuzugoshou used in Japandese restaurants
in the US. Athough I am sure it's just a matter of which restaurants.

> >Personally, I always use yuzugoshou on yudoufu,

> yes, in dashi with a little bit on ponzu. istarted eating that after
> you mentioned it although when i get lazy i use chicken bouillon
> instead of dashi.

Doesn't that taste like....chicken soup with tofu in it?
But I know what you mean about making dashi. The solution is usually either
make enough to keep in the refridgerator for heating up anytime on short
notice,
or using the katsuo-dashi in bags that you boil.

> >and occasionally on Hirame where it
> >can be a fine change from the usual momijioroshi.

> i prefer just yuzu with a sprinkling of sea salt on my whitefish
> although i usually get engawa served with ponzu & red daikon, etc
> unless it's been seared.

I'd say you have a developed taste for subtle flavors.

Musashi

"barry" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:23:57 GMT, "Musashi" >
> wrote:
>

> > wrote in message
> roups.com...
> >> Certain sushi items certainly benefit from the searing/aburi and/or
> >> pre-marinated/zuke treatment. The guy who I think benefited from my
> >> idea of maguro tattaki in Osaka, who "invented" otoro-tattaki started
> >> serving something quite interesting 2 years ago. Basically Japanese
> >> hamachi sushi; the fish is quickly seared/heated on the grill, and
> >> served with a dash of a Japanese spice on top (a dab) that has flavors
> >> of lemon (yuzu?) and pepper on it.

> >That is probably Yuzugoshou (sometimes written yuzukoshou) where
> >yuzu + koshou(pepper). It is mostly a product of Northern Kyuushu,
> >and while available in green or red, most of the ones you see are green.
> >Some of the best ones are in unlabled little jars made by small yuzu

farms
> >in the country.
> >
> >> Quite a unique combination and
> >> taste...is this popular in Japan?

> >It is fairly well known but not as popular as it should be. In Japan
> >sometimes you'll
> >see a jar of it in a Udon shop.

> i've asked various itamae about it - it seems to be used to complement
> not just taste - but texture as well - in conjunction with something
> with a slippery "mouth-feel" texture.
>
> at home i use it on seared salmon belly & eat it chirashi style.
>
> while that's the common way i get it at a restaurant i've also had it
> served with uni.

Really? I've hardly ever seen Yuzugoshou used in Japandese restaurants
in the US. Athough I am sure it's just a matter of which restaurants.

> >Personally, I always use yuzugoshou on yudoufu,

> yes, in dashi with a little bit on ponzu. istarted eating that after
> you mentioned it although when i get lazy i use chicken bouillon
> instead of dashi.

Doesn't that taste like....chicken soup with tofu in it?
But I know what you mean about making dashi. The solution is usually either
make enough to keep in the refridgerator for heating up anytime on short
notice,
or using the katsuo-dashi in bags that you boil.

> >and occasionally on Hirame where it
> >can be a fine change from the usual momijioroshi.

> i prefer just yuzu with a sprinkling of sea salt on my whitefish
> although i usually get engawa served with ponzu & red daikon, etc
> unless it's been seared.

I'd say you have a developed taste for subtle flavors.

barry

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:15:14 GMT, "Musashi" >
wrote:

>"barry" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:23:57 GMT, "Musashi" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> > wrote in message
>> roups.com...
>> >
>> >That is probably Yuzugoshou (sometimes written yuzukoshou) where
>> >yuzu + koshou(pepper). It is mostly a product of Northern Kyuushu,
>> >and while available in green or red, most of the ones you see are green.
>> >Some of the best ones are in unlabled little jars made by small yuzu

>farms
>> >in the country.

>> >It is fairly well known but not as popular as it should be. In Japan
>> >sometimes you'll
>> >see a jar of it in a Udon shop.

>> i've asked various itamae about it - it seems to be used to complement
>> not just taste - but texture as well - in conjunction with something
>> with a slippery "mouth-feel" texture.
>>
>> at home i use it on seared salmon belly & eat it chirashi style.
>>
>> while that's the common way i get it at a restaurant i've also had it
>> served with uni.
>>

>Really? I've hardly ever seen Yuzugoshou used in Japandese restaurants
>in the US. Athough I am sure it's just a matter of which restaurants.

i ask the itamae if they have it, & if they do to use on on order of
their choosing & then i try to ask why they made the choice that they
did. the most interesting one was an appetizer of diced salmon with a
mixture of silken tofu, avocado (i think) & yuzo kosho & some minced
nori. in some ways it reminded me of toro scrapings with grated
mountain yam with wasabi, soy sauce & minced nori.

>> >Personally, I always use yuzugoshou on yudoufu,

>> yes, in dashi with a little bit on ponzu. istarted eating that after
>> you mentioned it although when i get lazy i use chicken bouillon
>> instead of dashi.
>>

>Doesn't that taste like....chicken soup with tofu in it?

<grin> yeah, but with the ponzu & the yuzo kosho it's very different

>But I know what you mean about making dashi. The solution is usually either
>make enough to keep in the refridgerator for heating up anytime on short
>notice,
>or using the katsuo-dashi in bags that you boil.
>
>> >and occasionally on Hirame where it
>> >can be a fine change from the usual momijioroshi.

>> i prefer just yuzu with a sprinkling of sea salt on my whitefish
>> although i usually get engawa served with ponzu & red daikon, etc
>> unless it's been seared.
>>

>I'd say you have a developed taste for subtle flavors.

i've been fortunate enough to cultivate good relationships with some
excellent chefs over the years. unfortunately, most people i know
can't believe that the differences are that discernable & they just
think i'm a sushi snob - until i take them out for sushi & order for
them.

barry

Mystery PIckle #2 - Assari Nasu-zuke no Moto Gerry[_3_] Sushi 3 30-09-2008 12:16 AM
Mystery PIckle #2 - Assari Nasu-zuke no Moto Gerry[_6_] Asian Cooking 6 30-09-2008 12:16 AM
Mystery PIckle #2 - Assari Nasu-zuke no Moto Sqwertz Sushi 1 29-09-2008 07:24 PM
Shio-zuke Andrea2 Diabetic 0 06-03-2006 07:27 AM
Receipe Joanne Baking 7 06-05-2004 02:51 AM