Dobbs

Default Need Help on Name of Seasoning

Wondering if anyone can help me figure out a seasoning that I tried at
Ran-Getsu in Orlando. I ordered the unagi donburi and the waiter
seasoned it tableside with a powdered seasoning. It had a faint piney
smell and might have been some type of pepper. Wasn't a mix of
ingredients and seemed to be just one or maybe a small few, but mixed
into a powder. Don't think that it was mountain pepper, but let me
know.

Thanks in advance,

Dobbs
Musashi

"Dobbs" > wrote in message =
> Wondering if anyone can help me figure out a seasoning that I tried at
> Ran-Getsu in Orlando. I ordered the unagi donburi and the waiter
> seasoned it tableside with a powdered seasoning. It had a faint piney
> smell and might have been some type of pepper. Wasn't a mix of
> ingredients and seemed to be just one or maybe a small few, but mixed
> into a powder. Don't think that it was mountain pepper, but let me
> know.
>=20
> Thanks in advance,
>=20
> Dobbs

That is Sanshou, sometimes spelled Sansho.
Called Japanese Pepper or Sansho Pepper here in the US,
it is a "must" for Unagi.
You can buy it here in the US at any Japanese food store, usually the
main brands being House and SB. On-line as well.
BTW...if you ever find yourself in Kyoto Japan, there is a store called
Shichimiya near the Kiyomizu Temple that sells, in my humble opinion,
the BEST sanshou.

Musashi

Musashi

"Dobbs" > wrote in message =
> Wondering if anyone can help me figure out a seasoning that I tried at
> Ran-Getsu in Orlando. I ordered the unagi donburi and the waiter
> seasoned it tableside with a powdered seasoning. It had a faint piney
> smell and might have been some type of pepper. Wasn't a mix of
> ingredients and seemed to be just one or maybe a small few, but mixed
> into a powder. Don't think that it was mountain pepper, but let me
> know.
>=20
> Thanks in advance,
>=20
> Dobbs

That is Sanshou, sometimes spelled Sansho.
Called Japanese Pepper or Sansho Pepper here in the US,
it is a "must" for Unagi.
You can buy it here in the US at any Japanese food store, usually the
main brands being House and SB. On-line as well.
BTW...if you ever find yourself in Kyoto Japan, there is a store called
Shichimiya near the Kiyomizu Temple that sells, in my humble opinion,
the BEST sanshou.

Musashi

Musashi

"Dobbs" > wrote in message =
> Wondering if anyone can help me figure out a seasoning that I tried at
> Ran-Getsu in Orlando. I ordered the unagi donburi and the waiter
> seasoned it tableside with a powdered seasoning. It had a faint piney
> smell and might have been some type of pepper. Wasn't a mix of
> ingredients and seemed to be just one or maybe a small few, but mixed
> into a powder. Don't think that it was mountain pepper, but let me
> know.
>=20
> Thanks in advance,
>=20
> Dobbs

That is Sanshou, sometimes spelled Sansho.
Called Japanese Pepper or Sansho Pepper here in the US,
it is a "must" for Unagi.
You can buy it here in the US at any Japanese food store, usually the
main brands being House and SB. On-line as well.
BTW...if you ever find yourself in Kyoto Japan, there is a store called
Shichimiya near the Kiyomizu Temple that sells, in my humble opinion,
the BEST sanshou.

Musashi

Dobbs

Thanks for the response. If you happen to have a bottle of that
mythical sansho, let me know the price and we can work something out.
Is it used for any other type of dish?

Dobbs

Seasoning a Wok Kswck General Cooking 1 19-01-2009 11:23 PM
Seasoning Dick Adams[_2_] General Cooking 55 08-03-2007 04:59 PM
seasoning a wok Jen General Cooking 5 06-10-2005 10:44 PM
Wok Seasoning [email protected] Cooking Equipment 3 26-01-2005 01:56 PM
wok seasoning? Sticks General Cooking 5 26-05-2004 12:10 AM